same riff different band

Re: same riff different band

Postby john stabb » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:46 am

JGJR, are you fookin' serious this is on a 5 disc set :?: :!: 8-) Wow, I only have chunks of that set because I got it from x-girlfriend (at least she had killer Costello-taste but I wasn't going to be her sperm donor just to get her what she used me for all along: a baby :o ) as a cassette copy. Thanks to E-dog, he took his + a bunch of my cassettes to have made into nice CD-r packages. Anyhoo, would you be able to burn me a copy of that live performance, my friend?

I promise to send you some cool stuff in return. Man, what I do have is so funny & love the duo-thing more than anything Costello's done in years. Spectacular stuff :!:

One mo thing: Krrl & I were discussing the question of "Who wrote the chord structure that led to "Come as you Are" first? He looked at the dates & The Damned had "Life goes On" before Killing Joke had "Eighties". So, I know KJ were paid off by Nirvana but did Sensible & Damned get a chunk of dough, too? And why bother paying KJ in the first place when The Damned came up with the tune & KJ copped it from them :?: Discuss, please ...
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby JGJR » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:50 am

john stabb wrote:JGJR, are you fookin' serious this is on a 5 disc set :?: :!: 8-) Wow, I only have chunks of that set because I got it from x-girlfriend (at least she had killer Costello-taste but I wasn't going to be her sperm donor just to get her what she used me for all along: a baby :o ) as a cassette copy. Thanks to E-dog, he took his + a bunch of my cassettes to have made into nice CD-r packages. Anyhoo, would you be able to burn me a copy of that live performance, my friend?

I promise to send you some cool stuff in return. Man, what I do have is so funny & love the duo-thing more than anything Costello's done in years. Spectacular stuff :!:

One mo thing: Krrl & I were discussing the question of "Who wrote the chord structure that led to "Come as you Are" first? He looked at the dates & The Damned had "Life goes On" before Killing Joke had "Eighties". So, I know KJ were paid off by Nirvana but did Sensible & Damned get a chunk of dough, too? And why bother paying KJ in the first place when The Damned came up with the tune & KJ copped it from them :?: Discuss, please ...

Yes, completely serious here, though again those discs are all EP length and not close to the complete shows. Regardless, I have owned this box set since it came out in late 1996. It now goes for some moolah since it's long OOP. I would happily copy it for you, but like most of our CDs, it is currently in storage! Sorry! When that changes, though, I'll let you know (hopefully I'll remember). I wish I'd digitized it beforehand.

And yep, "Life Goes On" came out on Strawberries in 1982, several years before "Eighties" came out as a 12" (and later it appeared on Night Time in 1985). Grohl also played drums on the s/t Killing Joke Lp in the mid '00s as a way of payback (I'm guessing). As for the Captain, I doubt they got anything, but I honestly don't know!

There is some interesting info here!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighties_(song)
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby john stabb » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:25 pm

I hear you on the storage-thing but thanks for doing it if you could. :)

That's incredibly lame if Nirvana didn't pay off The Damned :!: Oh well, The Captain seems to be a happy bloke, nonetheless.

I am shocked that not only myself (who should know better :oops: ) & y'all didn't mention these 3 G.I. blatant rip-offs of others material.

Here's the Rope (verses) are none other than Sonic Reducer by Rocket from the Tombs/Dead Boys. So many people in early DC Punk scene would always tell me it ripped off the Dead Boys song but I wasn't 'avin it. :x Took me several years later to sit down & really listen to it. Well, BB who gave it to us, lifted from the best to give to the G.I. ;) On that note, if you listen to any Minor Threat 45 at 33 rpm, there's AC/DC all over those songs. Not a bad place to be. :mrgreen:

The beginning drum intro of PUPPET ON A STRING is copped from Van Halen's (can you guess it :?: )

And last but not least, the middle drum-break of G.I.'s rendition of Faith's TRAPPED is Marc's chance to get a bit showy stealing the beginning drum-intro from Ozzy's Over the Mountain.

I think I'M all out of songs.
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby scannest » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:08 pm

JGJR wrote:Those gigs were astonishing. It was the first time I'd ever seen the Costello/Nieve duo (I'd see them many more times between then and 2004 or so, which I think was the last time they played as a duo) so there was the sense of not knowing what to expect. He pulled out a lot of obscure album cuts and rarely played stuff, too, from what I remember. I also remember how funny he was between songs, too.

I saw the duo show at the Supper Club in NYC and I remember how absolutely exhausting it was. I had a good time, but it seemed to go on forever. He was hoarse by the end. The best part - I saw the early show. He did another full set (2 1/2 hours) an hour or so later. Insane.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:45 pm

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:Those gigs were astonishing. It was the first time I'd ever seen the Costello/Nieve duo (I'd see them many more times between then and 2004 or so, which I think was the last time they played as a duo) so there was the sense of not knowing what to expect. He pulled out a lot of obscure album cuts and rarely played stuff, too, from what I remember. I also remember how funny he was between songs, too.

I saw the duo show at the Supper Club in NYC and I remember how absolutely exhausting it was. I had a good time, but it seemed to go on forever. He was hoarse by the end. The best part - I saw the early show. He did another full set (2 1/2 hours) an hour or so later. Insane.

That's really cool that you were there as well and yet we didn't meet until over a decade (actually a dozen years) later! Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, I was actually at BOTH shows that night though I didn't have a ticket for either (got extra tickets in line for both of them before the first show IIRC) when I got to the club that night.

To be honest, by the end of the late show, I could barely walk from having stood around all night. My feet were hurting! It was worth it, though!
JGJR

Postby James » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:00 pm

The Dayglow Abortions blatantly ripped off Led Zepplin on Stupid World.
Formerly known as Jimmy Heartburn
James

Postby scannest » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:22 am

Bringing this thread back to life to acknowledge that "Safe European Home", one of my favorite Clash songs, borrows quite liberally from this one.

scannest

Postby Neal » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:08 am

scannest wrote:Bringing this thread back to life to acknowledge that "Safe European Home", one of my favorite Clash songs, borrows quite liberally from this one.

wow. had no idea that wasn't an original rick springfield song.
Neal

Postby scannest » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:24 am

Neal wrote:
scannest wrote:Bringing this thread back to life to acknowledge that "Safe European Home", one of my favorite Clash songs, borrows quite liberally from this one.

It was a big regional (Bay Area) hit for Sammy, but Rick had the national success with it.
Story goes the Clash were finishing their 2nd record in SF when their producer was clamoring for a "hit". So Mick Jones took this song he was hearing on local radio every 30 minutes, and...voila!
scannest

Postby lewdd » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:29 am

scannest wrote:
Neal wrote:

It was a big regional (Bay Area) hit for Sammy, but Rick had the national success with it.
Story goes the Clash were finishing their 2nd record in SF when their producer was clamoring for a "hit". So Mick Jones took this song he was hearing on local radio every 30 minutes, and...voila!

Wow! Two pieces of information that I did not know.
lewdd

Postby Mark T. » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:48 pm

lewdd wrote:
scannest wrote:
Neal wrote:

Wow! Two pieces of information that I did not know.

How did I never hear of this before? You can really hear it here in this live version by Sammy.

Projeckt Daghouse:
PDIV - Thousand Days - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVX7w2iNIfw
Mark T.

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:23 pm

scannest wrote:
Neal wrote:

Thanks for this. I know Rick's version well because that album is an amazing power-pop record, but I'd never knowingly heard Sammy's original though I noticed that he wrote it. Would've never made the connection to "Safe European Home," but I can kinda hear it.
JGJR

Previous

Return to daghouse