RSD in a Nutshell

RSD in a Nutshell

Postby version sound » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:33 am

“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: RSD in a Nutshell

Postby scannest » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:04 am

A friend was nice enough to secure me a copy of the MC5 "Looking at You" 7" re-issue. So, I got what I wanted without stepping foot in a store. Win/Win.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby Dinko » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:59 am

I enjoyed this one. Good band, plus I pre-ordered those LPs back in October (sold out within 2 days), then waited and waited and waited (got it last week), cause pressing plants were too busy pressing crap.

https://www.facebook.com/thesophiacolle ... =3&theater
The law of average says you will survive.
Dinko

Postby gregpolard » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:07 am

I got three items this year.

Descendents 7"
Superchunk 7"
Uniform Choice demos 12"

Apparently the store still has a few of the Superchunk left. Uniform Choice was a hotter item than I thought, as that's gone. And I'm not sure about the Descendents. My wife had work so I had the kids with me and had to download something called Fortnite onto my phone, which they played for 90 minutes while I waited in line / the store and drained my battery from 100% to 3%. That was my RSD.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:29 am

I just got the Wipers Lp. kinda wished I'd gotten the Shocking Blue Lp, but hopefully I can get it at some other point. I didn't see my other wants besides the Wire box and for $125, I balked. I also saw some live music as Rough Trade had bands playing all throughout the day. It was fun!
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:35 am

gregpolard wrote:I got three items this year.

Descendents 7"
Superchunk 7"
Uniform Choice demos 12"

Apparently the store still has a few of the Superchunk left. Uniform Choice was a hotter item than I thought, as that's gone. And I'm not sure about the Descendents. My wife had work so I had the kids with me and had to download something called Fortnite onto my phone, which they played for 90 minutes while I waited in line / the store and drained my battery from 100% to 3%. That was my RSD.

They really are a parent's best friend. I have Disney Jr apps on my phone for this reason. I haven't had to resort it yet, but would do that. Not gonna lie.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:02 pm

gregpolard wrote:Descendents 7"

I hope it makes your "Best of 2018" list.
scannest

Postby version sound » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:03 pm

I took my daughter to the ER in the morning (long story; she's fine), then hit 3 different shops looking for the only damn thing I wanted. Didn't find it. Hopefully, they'll do a repress or the prices will come down once all the suckers have been good and properly gouged.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:22 pm

version sound wrote:I took my daughter to the ER in the morning (long story; she's fine), then hit 3 different shops looking for the only damn thing I wanted. Didn't find it. Hopefully, they'll do a repress or the prices will come down once all the suckers have been good and properly gouged.

Glad she's OK; what did she want? Prices on Discogs are already reasonable for all the stuff I've checked on; this stuff sticks around for years.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:49 pm

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Descendents 7"

I hope it makes your "Best of 2018" list.

LOL! Let's see how those B-Sides are and I'll get back to you. I think they're from the Hypercaffium sessions? I didn't even look.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:03 pm

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:Glad she's OK; what did she want? Prices on Discogs are already reasonable for all the stuff I've checked on; this stuff sticks around for years.

Thanks. She didn't really want anything, though she would have liked the Madonna picture disc. I was looking for the Eno/Kevin Shields 12". I also wouldn't mind having the Fucked Up Inside remaster or Spectrum's Highs, Lows, and Heavenly Blows, but I won't pay crazy money for them. Honestly, I'm not even sure I'd pay list, they were pretty pricey. If the Detroit Edition of the first Stooges comes down into the 20s, I wouldn't mind having a copy. At close to $40, it's a bit much.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:09 am

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:Glad she's OK; what did she want? Prices on Discogs are already reasonable for all the stuff I've checked on; this stuff sticks around for years.

Thanks. She didn't really want anything, though she would have liked the Madonna picture disc. I was looking for the Eno/Kevin Shields 12". I also wouldn't mind having the Fucked Up Inside remaster or Spectrum's Highs, Lows, and Heavenly Blows, but I won't pay crazy money for them. Honestly, I'm not even sure I'd pay list, they were pretty pricey. If the Detroit Edition of the first Stooges comes down into the 20s, I wouldn't mind having a copy. At close to $40, it's a bit much.

I'd love the Eno/Shields record myself and haven't seen it. I didn't even realize Fucked Up Inside was getting a reissue until I saw it on an RSD list yesterday (it was sold out). Agreed on the Stooges. I saw Spectrum play live 9 years ago yesterday; mind-bogglingly loud in a small club.

As for Madonna, I'm fine with my Sire copy of the 1st Lp (those WB pressings of her early albums sound FANTASTIC), but this is cool.

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/10078
JGJR

Postby version sound » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:49 am

That's the one!

I have OG pressings of the first 3 Madonna LPs. I just need Like a Prayer.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:24 pm

version sound wrote:I have OG pressings of the first 3 Madonna LPs. I just need Like a Prayer.

There have to be shit ton of "OG pressings" of Like a Prayer out there in the universe. Can't you score one on Discogs for 5 bucks?
scannest

Postby JGJR » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:57 pm

scannest wrote:
version sound wrote:I have OG pressings of the first 3 Madonna LPs. I just need Like a Prayer.

There have to be shit ton of "OG pressings" of Like a Prayer out there in the universe. Can't you score one on Discogs for 5 bucks?

You'd think, right? The 1st 3 are still pretty easy to find in stores and at like garage sales and stuff for about that. Late '80s pressings of anything on vinyl mildly desirable have been harder to find in recent years and consequently more expensive. The median price for this is $15.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/1087663?ev=rb
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:59 pm

version sound wrote:That's the one!

I have OG pressings of the first 3 Madonna LPs. I just need Like a Prayer.

This.
JGJR

Postby aquaman » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:07 pm

I think I have a copy of Like A Prayer, probably still has the patchouli smell...I'd offer it to send it but being I haven't sent Earthdog the record I bought for him 3 years ago, the chances of you getting it anytime soon are slim.
aquaman

Postby version sound » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:42 pm

scannest wrote:

1) I'm not really actively seeking a copy and 2) JGJR is right, they aren't as common as you'd think. My daughter really digs True Blue, so I looked for a copy on eBay and Discogs and was surprised to see how much a copy in decent condition would cost me. In the end, I found a copy in a shop in Richmond for $3.00. Richmond is one of the few places I've been where common 70s/80s records aren't ridiculously overpriced. I also picked up a $3.00 Highway to Hell, which would easily have been a $15 record in DC.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:56 am

JGJR wrote:Late '80s pressings of anything on vinyl mildly desirable have been harder to find in recent years and consequently more expensive.

Innerestin'. I bought my first CD in '86, but for a long while I continued to buy records depending on availability and price. CD's were often quite expensive by comparison so I bought a ton of indie vinyl back then. When I finally sold a huge chunk of collection I made a pretty penny on late '80s/early '90s records on labels like Epitaph, Sub-Pop, Matador, etc.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:54 pm

version sound wrote:
scannest wrote:

1) I'm not really actively seeking a copy and 2) JGJR is right, they aren't as common as you'd think. My daughter really digs True Blue, so I looked for a copy on eBay and Discogs and was surprised to see how much a copy in decent condition would cost me. In the end, I found a copy in a shop in Richmond for $3.00. Richmond is one of the few places I've been where common 70s/80s records aren't ridiculously overpriced. I also picked up a $3.00 Highway to Hell, which would easily have been a $15 record in DC.

The only copy of HTH I've ever had was a CD reissue, so I'm kinda jealous. Great score.
JGJR

Postby FlexMyHead » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:51 pm

scannest wrote: Can't you score one on Discogs for 5 bucks?

Speaking of Discogs, check out this release that you can't even buy anymore...I think that makes it priceless!!!!

Double Top Secret Rare Release on Discogs
FlexMyHead

Postby scannest » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:07 am

Thanks for sharing. As I've lost the stamps I couldn't make more copies if i wanted to.
scannest

Postby FlexMyHead » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:20 pm

scannest wrote:

Thanks for sharing. As I've lost the stamps I couldn't make more copies if i wanted to.

I enjoy that release and didn't see it up there so added it. Who played on that? Was it Paul Colucci, Mickey Lynch, Sal Cannestra, Peter Cortner, Joe Iacovelli and Ben Goldberg? I wanted to update it/make it accurate. Also, the real titles were the longer ones right? I just put what was written on the back...
FlexMyHead

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:20 am

FlexMyHead wrote:
scannest wrote:

I enjoy that release and didn't see it up there so added it. Who played on that? Was it Paul Colucci, Mickey Lynch, Sal Cannestra, Peter Cortner, Joe Iacovelli and Ben Goldberg? I wanted to update it/make it accurate. Also, the real titles were the longer ones right? I just put what was written on the back...

Gill
Prick Up Your Ears
Our Man In Havana
The Grasshopper Lies Heavy
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:44 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
FlexMyHead wrote:
scannest wrote:

Gill
Prick Up Your Ears
Our Man In Havana
The Grasshopper Lies Heavy

The remixes were stellar.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby scannest » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:44 am

FlexMyHead wrote:Who played on that? Was it Paul Colucci, Mickey Lynch, Sal Cannestra, Peter Cortner, Joe Iacovelli and Ben Goldberg?

That is correct. Recorded by Sam Pinola at New Sofa Studios.
scannest

Postby the mean » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:56 pm

the mean

Return to daghouse