89 percent of Americans choose aging in place

89 percent of Americans choose aging in place

Postby lizmercer » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:24 pm

Baby boomers are the new empty nesters and more and more of them are facing the tough question: Fix up or move out? Their houses, once full of pounding feet, slamming doors, and chattering teenagers, are now empty and quiet. Meanwhile, the baby boomers themselves are finding new aches and pains affecting their everyday life and they question what their future degree of mobility might be. Thus, they must decide whether the home they’ve lived in and raised their children in will be the home they retire in, or if moving is the right option for them.

Making your home livable

According to the National Association of Home Builders, “Eighty-nine percent of Americans 55 and older have embraced this aging-in-place trend, and hope to remain in their own homes for the long term.” If you fall into this category, you’ll want to do a little updating to make your home more cozy and livable.

Improve energy efficiency

For instance, Kathy Krafka Harkema, Pella Windows & Doors spokesperson, suggested, “As Americans strive to maintain their independence and stay in their own homes longer, many take on home improvement projects to reduce maintenance while improving accessibility and energy efficiency.” She went on, “As they stretch budgets and prepare for retirement, today’s savvy homeowners plan home renovation projects with comfort, convenience, and ease of maintenance in mind.”

A few options to consider to improve energy efficiency include replacing or repairing drafty windows and doors. Check the roofing, the siding, the gutters, and the exterior finish for damage and clean everything off while you’re at it. If you reside in an older home, consider updating your appliances by replacing old ones with new Energy Star rated appliances. These appliances use less water and electricity, thus lowering your utility bills and doing a good turn for the environment.

Make appliances accessible

If you add cabinets or shelving, keep in mind future accessibility. Build them within easy reach and consider moving any of your main equipment you use in daily activities to the main floor of the house. It’s better to do this before accident or illness strikes. Similarly, you could try raising appliances to minimize bending. Dishwashers, dryers, kitchen cabinets, etc. can all be elevated so you can use them without stooping.

Interior Decorating and Remodeling News Brought to You by www.BaseBoardHeaterGuru.com
Source: http://scoopsandiego.com/online_features/senior_living/home-renovation-for-baby-boomers-preparing-for-the-next-stage/article_556ffd24-1bac-5496-8e6b-4dd184b48583.html
lizmercer

Re: 89 percent of Americans choose aging in place

Postby NotBaker » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:36 pm

Solid first post. And, given the median age around this place, maybe not spam. :shock:
NotBaker

Re: 89 percent of Americans choose aging in place

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:12 am

NotBaker wrote:Solid first post. And, given the median age around this place, maybe not spam. :shock:

This made me legit LOL. Thank you.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Return to daghouse