WIRE 'Silver/Lead' 2017

WIRE 'Silver/Lead' 2017

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:03 pm

Should have gotten around to listening to the full album start to finish last year but for some reason I didn't.

There are a LOT of really excellent songs on this. I guess the opener 'Playing Harp for the Fishes' is the single or somthing. It looks like its showing up on a lot of their recent set lists. Which means as soon as people start taking a liking to it, they'll immediately stop recognizing it ever existed.

'Diamonds in Cups' is beautiful and the guitarwork is lush!

Anyhow, the album is strange and melodic as ever. I think I like even a little more than Nocturnal Koreans.
xxxMidgexxx

Re: WIRE 'Silver/Lead' 2017

Postby earthdog70 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:33 pm

I dug it on first listen, I will need to revisit. They were great on the last tour. :idea:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby JGJR » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:50 am

I like it and it made my top 40 for last year, but want to like it more than I actually do. Sonically, it (like a lot of their more recent records) reminds me of the territory between Chairs Missing and especially 154, but without the biting edge. Oh well, they're 40 years older now. I think not having Bruce there makes a huge difference, honestly, especially live. The one time I saw the original lineup in 2002 at Irving Plaza was stunningly abrasive. It didn't even matter that I only recognized one song.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:21 am

JGJR wrote:I like it and it made my top 40 for last year, but want to like it more than I actually do. Sonically, it (like a lot of their more recent records) reminds me of the territory between Chairs Missing and especially 154, but without the biting edge. Oh well, they're 40 years older now. I think not having Bruce there makes a huge difference, honestly, especially live. The one time I saw the original lineup in 2002 at Irving Plaza was stunningly abrasive. It didn't even matter that I only recognized one song.

Matt,

80 records made your top 40 for last year. Not that that's ts bad or anything, but you missed 'Racquet Club which should have been #1.

The new guitarist fits in I think. Aren't Colin and the bass player essentially doing all the writing anyhow?
Eitherway, they played Brooklyn recently 3 nights in a row, sold out ridiculously quick. I'm not paying cray cray prices for bands for tickets. Jawbreaker sold out a few nights in an hour. Done with it. Let the kids who never saw them enjoy them
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:08 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
JGJR wrote:I like it and it made my top 40 for last year, but want to like it more than I actually do. Sonically, it (like a lot of their more recent records) reminds me of the territory between Chairs Missing and especially 154, but without the biting edge. Oh well, they're 40 years older now. I think not having Bruce there makes a huge difference, honestly, especially live. The one time I saw the original lineup in 2002 at Irving Plaza was stunningly abrasive. It didn't even matter that I only recognized one song.

Matt,

80 records made your top 40 for last year. Not that that's ts bad or anything, but you missed 'Racquet Club which should have been #1.

The new guitarist fits in I think. Aren't Colin and the bass player essentially doing all the writing anyhow?
Eitherway, they played Brooklyn recently 3 nights in a row, sold out ridiculously quick. I'm not paying cray cray prices for bands for tickets. Jawbreaker sold out a few nights in an hour. Done with it. Let the kids who never saw them enjoy them

I don't mean to change the subject, but it's been 23 years since i've seen Jawbreaker. I'm really excited about seeing them again.

Re: Wire, I didn't go see them last year, but I saw in 2015 and back in 2008 and it wasn't as great as the 2002 show.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Return to daghouse