WIRE 'Silver/Lead' 2017

WIRE 'Silver/Lead' 2017

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:03 pm

Should have gotten around to listening to the full album start to finish last year but for some reason I didn't.

There are a LOT of really excellent songs on this. I guess the opener 'Playing Harp for the Fishes' is the single or somthing. It looks like its showing up on a lot of their recent set lists. Which means as soon as people start taking a liking to it, they'll immediately stop recognizing it ever existed.

'Diamonds in Cups' is beautiful and the guitarwork is lush!

Anyhow, the album is strange and melodic as ever. I think I like even a little more than Nocturnal Koreans.
"Everyone has their own truth. And life does whatever the fuck it wants."
xxxMidgexxx

Re: WIRE 'Silver/Lead' 2017

Postby earthdog70 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:33 pm

I dug it on first listen, I will need to revisit. They were great on the last tour. :idea:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby JGJR » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:50 am

I like it and it made my top 40 for last year, but want to like it more than I actually do. Sonically, it (like a lot of their more recent records) reminds me of the territory between Chairs Missing and especially 154, but without the biting edge. Oh well, they're 40 years older now. I think not having Bruce there makes a huge difference, honestly, especially live. The one time I saw the original lineup in 2002 at Irving Plaza was stunningly abrasive. It didn't even matter that I only recognized one song.
yourenotevil wrote:we've been wasting a lot of time on here then!
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:21 am

JGJR wrote:I like it and it made my top 40 for last year, but want to like it more than I actually do. Sonically, it (like a lot of their more recent records) reminds me of the territory between Chairs Missing and especially 154, but without the biting edge. Oh well, they're 40 years older now. I think not having Bruce there makes a huge difference, honestly, especially live. The one time I saw the original lineup in 2002 at Irving Plaza was stunningly abrasive. It didn't even matter that I only recognized one song.

Matt,

80 records made your top 40 for last year. Not that that's ts bad or anything, but you missed 'Racquet Club which should have been #1.

The new guitarist fits in I think. Aren't Colin and the bass player essentially doing all the writing anyhow?
Eitherway, they played Brooklyn recently 3 nights in a row, sold out ridiculously quick. I'm not paying cray cray prices for bands for tickets. Jawbreaker sold out a few nights in an hour. Done with it. Let the kids who never saw them enjoy them
"Everyone has their own truth. And life does whatever the fuck it wants."
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:08 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
JGJR wrote:I like it and it made my top 40 for last year, but want to like it more than I actually do. Sonically, it (like a lot of their more recent records) reminds me of the territory between Chairs Missing and especially 154, but without the biting edge. Oh well, they're 40 years older now. I think not having Bruce there makes a huge difference, honestly, especially live. The one time I saw the original lineup in 2002 at Irving Plaza was stunningly abrasive. It didn't even matter that I only recognized one song.

Matt,

80 records made your top 40 for last year. Not that that's ts bad or anything, but you missed 'Racquet Club which should have been #1.

The new guitarist fits in I think. Aren't Colin and the bass player essentially doing all the writing anyhow?
Eitherway, they played Brooklyn recently 3 nights in a row, sold out ridiculously quick. I'm not paying cray cray prices for bands for tickets. Jawbreaker sold out a few nights in an hour. Done with it. Let the kids who never saw them enjoy them

I don't mean to change the subject, but it's been 23 years since i've seen Jawbreaker. I'm really excited about seeing them again.

Re: Wire, I didn't go see them last year, but I saw in 2015 and back in 2008 and it wasn't as great as the 2002 show.
yourenotevil wrote:we've been wasting a lot of time on here then!
JGJR

Return to daghouse