IDT: Taake

IDT: Taake

Postby version sound » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:04 pm

Have I raved about Taake publically or just to Midge? I am absolutely convinced that they are currently the best metal band on earth, period. They may in fact be my favorite metal band of all time, if we take Sabbath out of the discussion.

Black Metal Matters
User avatar
version sound
 
Posts: 5055
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:08 am

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:52 pm

I've always liked them. Unique. Creepy as shit. Skilled.

#Winning

I'd wager they appreciate the finer points of Lustmord and 'Loose Nut' and Black Flag Live 84 (better known as 'that live tape with the green cover')
User avatar
xxxMidgexxx
 
Posts: 2235
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby scannest » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:05 am

I gave the album a listen this morning. I can see where Thurston's obsession with Black Metal comes from (this is Black Metal, right?). Vocals aside, huge chunks of this remind me of latter day SY: the simple, repetitive riffing, the abrupt tempo changes. My question is - am I hearing the SY influence on modern metal or vice versa?
"Maybe if Lewdd posts pics of barbecued salmon, you can post pictures of sushi?" -Jimmy Heartburn
User avatar
scannest
 
Posts: 2562
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby JGJR » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:12 am

The SY comparison and the high praise intrigued me. Black metal usually isn't my thing, but this sounds a bit more like spastic '90s hardcore of the Gravity/Vermiform variety (or their descendents like At the Drive-In, particularly vocally) than it does SY, except it's better produced/recorded and there's double-bass drumming throughout. I do hear the SY influence in some of the instrumental passages, however. I'm enjoying it and with less screamy vocals, I'd probably enjoy it even more.
yourenotevil wrote:we've been wasting a lot of time on here then!
User avatar
JGJR
 
Posts: 6620
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby version sound » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:41 pm

scannest wrote:I gave the album a listen this morning. I can see where Thurston's obsession with Black Metal comes from (this is Black Metal, right?). Vocals aside, huge chunks of this remind me of latter day SY: the simple, repetitive riffing, the abrupt tempo changes. My question is - am I hearing the SY influence on modern metal or vice versa?


Good question. This is actually all one guy, and he takes pride in making Trve Norwegian Black Metal; however, I have read some criticism in the metal press about this record being too rock'n'roll and too riffy and therefore not black metal enough for them. I love the riffs and definitely hear some indie rock in the guitars.
Black Metal Matters
User avatar
version sound
 
Posts: 5055
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:08 am

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby version sound » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:02 pm

JGJR wrote:I'm enjoying it and with less screamy vocals, I'd probably enjoy it even more.


His vocals have always reminded me of the vocals on the first Die Kreuzen LP, so I'm down.
Black Metal Matters
User avatar
version sound
 
Posts: 5055
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:08 am

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby scannest » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:52 am

He (they?) is touring the U.S in March and April. First night is in NYC. Closest they get to D.C. is Baltimore on 3/27.
"Maybe if Lewdd posts pics of barbecued salmon, you can post pictures of sushi?" -Jimmy Heartburn
User avatar
scannest
 
Posts: 2562
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby JGJR » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:11 am

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:I'm enjoying it and with less screamy vocals, I'd probably enjoy it even more.


His vocals have always reminded me of the vocals on the first Die Kreuzen LP, so I'm down.


I never liked DK that much because of the vocals, especially AFTER the 1st record (though I love the music on October File; the vox on the 1st record are screamy but at least not cheesy), but I like the music on this Taake album enough that it overshadows that for me.

The caveat is that I heard DK many years after I got into hardcore (during the late '00s downloading era). I like sorta similar bands more that I heard as a kid like Void, early C.O.C, etc.
yourenotevil wrote:we've been wasting a lot of time on here then!
User avatar
JGJR
 
Posts: 6620
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby JGJR » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:14 am

version sound wrote:
scannest wrote:I gave the album a listen this morning. I can see where Thurston's obsession with Black Metal comes from (this is Black Metal, right?). Vocals aside, huge chunks of this remind me of latter day SY: the simple, repetitive riffing, the abrupt tempo changes. My question is - am I hearing the SY influence on modern metal or vice versa?


Good question. This is actually all one guy, and he takes pride in making Trve Norwegian Black Metal; however, I have read some criticism in the metal press about this record being too rock'n'roll and too riffy and therefore not black metal enough for them. I love the riffs and definitely hear some indie rock in the guitars.


Funny; that's why I like it. If it was just all blast beats or whatever, I'd be bored.
yourenotevil wrote:we've been wasting a lot of time on here then!
User avatar
JGJR
 
Posts: 6620
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby version sound » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:41 pm

I did not like the first Die Kreuzen LP when it first came out, but I kept listening (probably because I could only afford so many records, so I had to make them click if I could) and grew to love it before too long. IIRC, the review in MRR just repeated "THIS FUCKING RULES" over and over, and I have to agree with that assessment.
Black Metal Matters
User avatar
version sound
 
Posts: 5055
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:08 am

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:15 am

Well, New York show at LPR cancelled apparently.

Here’s this;

Kinda out of nowhere to many people:


http://www.brooklynvegan.com/taake-nyc- ... re-on-lpr/
User avatar
xxxMidgexxx
 
Posts: 2235
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:52 am

version sound wrote:I did not like the first Die Kreuzen LP when it first came out, but I kept listening (probably because I could only afford so many records, so I had to make them click if I could) and grew to love it before too long. IIRC, the review in MRR just repeated "THIS FUCKING RULES" over and over, and I have to agree with that assessment.


It was “This is fucking great.” I love that record — a Willow Grove Mall Listening Booth score from the fall of ‘84/winter ‘85.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx
 
Posts: 1536
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:56 am

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby scannest » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:39 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Well, New York show at LPR cancelled apparently.

Here’s this;

Kinda out of nowhere to many people:


http://www.brooklynvegan.com/taake-nyc- ... re-on-lpr/


Nice, VS. Look at the shit storm I almost found myself in.
I always suspected something wasn't right about you.
"Maybe if Lewdd posts pics of barbecued salmon, you can post pictures of sushi?" -Jimmy Heartburn
User avatar
scannest
 
Posts: 2562
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby version sound » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:07 pm

scannest wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:Well, New York show at LPR cancelled apparently.

Here’s this;

Kinda out of nowhere to many people:


http://www.brooklynvegan.com/taake-nyc- ... re-on-lpr/


Nice, VS. Look at the shit storm I almost found myself in.
I always suspected something wasn't right about you.


He's NOT a Nazi. He painted a swastika on his chest ONCE when they were performing in Germany. He apologized for doing so and explained that the point of it was to make the Germans uncomfortable and remind them of their shameful past. They DO have anti-Muslim lyrics, but also have anti-Christian lyrics. They are a fucking black metal band, being anti-religion is kind of part of the package. He wants to keep black metal evil, and who can blame him. The people protesting are SJWs who don't know WTF they're talking about.
Black Metal Matters
User avatar
version sound
 
Posts: 5055
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:08 am

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby version sound » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:19 pm

"Don't get me wrong, we are definitely NOT Nazis. We only used that symbol as another symbol for evil. The usual symbols, the pentagram and inverted cross, don't invoke reactions anymore. And anyway, it was taking the piss also."

"Our view, in the name of freedom of expression, is that it is shameful to adhere to Christianity or Islam,"
Black Metal Matters
User avatar
version sound
 
Posts: 5055
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:08 am

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:21 pm

I'd never heard them being called Nazi's before reading this blurb either, so whatever happened in the past, must have been quashed pretty well.

St. Vitus would never have taken steps from the beginning to connect their club/booking name with a band that had an active nazi agenda and following either. Still, LPR as a club (and a great one to play at that) must have wanted to avoid the controversy and acted accordingly.
User avatar
xxxMidgexxx
 
Posts: 2235
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby version sound » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:28 pm

I had read all of this before because, unfortunately, it's become routine for me to vet black metal bands for questionable politics before I get too attached to them. I have zero tolerance for actual Nazis and/or anyone else spewing hate. I don't see how what he did was anymore offensive than early UK punks (the Pistols in particular) wearing swastikas solely to piss people off. If people actually believe in that shit and actively promote it, that's a very different issue.
Black Metal Matters
User avatar
version sound
 
Posts: 5055
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:08 am

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:31 pm

well.... there's always that whole Burzum thing too. Plenty to be careful of.

Anyhow I won't stop listening to Taake. I like them and I'm convinced they're not Nazis.

I never liked Burzum from the beginning, so I don't really care what that dickhead does.
User avatar
xxxMidgexxx
 
Posts: 2235
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby version sound » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:41 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:well.... there's always that whole Burzum thing too. Plenty to be careful of.

Anyhow I won't stop listening to Taake. I like them and I'm convinced they're not Nazis.

I never liked Burzum from the beginning, so I don't really care what that dickhead does.


That douche is both a Nazi (and open and proud about it) and a murderer. On top of that, his music is massively overrated. Indie rock twits seem to think listening to Burzum makes them cool and dangerous. Fuck those people. I unfriended some dumb woman on FB who talked about having a crush on him. I have no time for such pathetic bullshit.
Black Metal Matters
User avatar
version sound
 
Posts: 5055
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:08 am

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby JGJR » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:57 pm

Here is Taake's response to the cancellation.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/taake-resp ... cist-band/
yourenotevil wrote:we've been wasting a lot of time on here then!
User avatar
JGJR
 
Posts: 6620
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby FlexMyHead » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:32 pm

I just listened to a few songs and I think this band blows the shit out of them:

FlexMyHead
 
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:11 pm

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby scannest » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:32 am

version sound wrote:He's NOT a Nazi. He painted a swastika on his chest ONCE when they were performing in Germany. He apologized for doing so and explained that the point of it was to make the Germans uncomfortable and remind them of their shameful past. They DO have anti-Muslim lyrics, but also have anti-Christian lyrics. They are a fucking black metal band, being anti-religion is kind of part of the package. He wants to keep black metal evil, and who can blame him. The people protesting are SJWs who don't know WTF they're talking about.

I read all that after the fact (and was making a dumb joke in the first place - I know yer not down with anything objectionable).
Guess I'll go see Watain instead.
"Maybe if Lewdd posts pics of barbecued salmon, you can post pictures of sushi?" -Jimmy Heartburn
User avatar
scannest
 
Posts: 2562
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby version sound » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:42 am

I wasn't mad at you, just annoyed by these dumbfucks who have no clue what they are protesting. IME, with the exception of maybe the president of the United States, most Nazis are pretty out and proud about their beliefs. If a band comes right out and says "we are not Nazis and do not support racism," I tend to believe them unless there is a LOT of evidence to the contrary. Hell, I don't even have a problem with people/bands with a Nazi past if they have reconsidered their views and are now admitting they were wrong. That seems like the best outcome for any Nazi.
Black Metal Matters
User avatar
version sound
 
Posts: 5055
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:08 am

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby scannest » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:00 pm

Just when you thought the whole thing couldn't get any dumber, I gave you....

Talib Kweli cancels show after venue “refuses to apologize” for booking Taake


http://www.brooklynvegan.com/talib-kwel ... ing-taake/
"Maybe if Lewdd posts pics of barbecued salmon, you can post pictures of sushi?" -Jimmy Heartburn
User avatar
scannest
 
Posts: 2562
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby XBambi's RevengeX » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:53 pm

Taake sound decidely 'meh' to mine ears.
XBambi's RevengeX
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:32 pm

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:38 pm

version sound wrote: Hell, I don't even have a problem with people/bands with a Nazi past if they have reconsidered their views and are now admitting they were wrong. That seems like the best outcome for any Nazi.


Ok, seems right. But ya gotta admit, putting a swastika on your body is going to get you branded and exiled from the music scene for a lifetime from many people. Not everyone is going to be as forgiving as you.

Bands know this. They're not stupid. They had this information and they need to accept these cancellations as part of the consequences of the decisions they'd made at the time of the show where the body painting was performed. It's really not that hard to understand.
User avatar
xxxMidgexxx
 
Posts: 2235
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby Neal » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:52 am

great band. :roll:

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/young-and-in-the-way-accused-of-sexual-assault-dropped-by-psycho-vegas-deathwish-breaking-up/

The Trumpbullplex booking collective posted a statement on Facebook accusing members of Deathwish-signed North Carolina hardcore band Young And In The Way of sexual assault, and urging the Psycho Las Vegas and 71Grind IV festivals to drop YAITW from their lineups. A few hours after the post went live, Psycho Las Vegas dropped the band “due to recent developments.”

The statement also reads that Trumbellplex tried to get Taake (“both my ex and I are huge fans of Taake”) to reconsider their tour with YAITW in 2015, but that “Taake’s response was ‘We don’t care, keep this drama off the internet.'” Taake have been in the news this month, as they are getting shows cancelled due to Nazism and Islamophobia accusations.
Neal
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:55 am
Location: Barcelona

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby version sound » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:32 pm

None of you guys listen to Bad Brains anymore, right?

Taake didn't cancel a tour with a band that was accused of sexual assault by a couple on the internet? Yeah, hang 'em high! You guys are going out of your way to dig up reasons to condemn them at this point. Isn't this the board where multiple people defended listening to Skrewdriver?
Black Metal Matters
User avatar
version sound
 
Posts: 5055
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:08 am

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby scannest » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:39 pm

version sound wrote: Isn't this the board where multiple people defended listening to Skrewdriver?

We chased those guys away. Only us 'snowflakes' left around here.
"Maybe if Lewdd posts pics of barbecued salmon, you can post pictures of sushi?" -Jimmy Heartburn
User avatar
scannest
 
Posts: 2562
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:49 pm

version sound wrote:Bad Brains

Skrewdriver?


Nope. I listen to neither.
User avatar
xxxMidgexxx
 
Posts: 2235
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby version sound » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:54 pm

scannest wrote:
version sound wrote: Isn't this the board where multiple people defended listening to Skrewdriver?

We chased those guys away. Only us 'snowflakes' left around here.


They'll be back. They always come crawling back. Regardless, more than one snowflake said "I only listen to pre-racist Skrewdriver" despite the fact that Welly pretty much established that there was no such thing. AFAIC, the fact that a band didn't cancel a tour based on Internet claims is hardly damning. If actual charges had been filed (and I still don't quite understand why they weren't), that would be a somewhat different issue, though we are still talking about something another band allegedly did. It's very easy to talk shit about a band you don't know or care about, but I'd be willing to wager that most, if not all, of us own records by people who did much worse. If you listen to hard rock/metal from the '70s or '80s that's pretty much guaranteed.
Black Metal Matters
User avatar
version sound
 
Posts: 5055
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:08 am

Re: IDT: Taake

Postby the mean » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:38 pm

version sound wrote:If actual charges had been filed (and I still don't quite understand why they weren't)

The answer should come to you if you think about this issue for more than five seconds.
User avatar
the mean
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:54 pm


Return to daghouse

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron