Pony Express Record reissue

Pony Express Record reissue

Postby JGJR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:48 am

http://bcstore.bcoredisc.com/shop/relea ... ess-record

Hopefully this will get some stateside distribution via Dischord.
yourenotevil wrote:we've been wasting a lot of time on here then!
User avatar
JGJR
 
Posts: 6618
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:17 am

oh god, no.
User avatar
xxxMidgexxx
 
Posts: 2235
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:45 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:oh god, no.



My favorite STT record, yo.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
User avatar
gregpolard
 
Posts: 3618
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 am
Location: Ambler, PA

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:27 pm

gregpolard wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:oh god, no.



My favorite STT record, yo.



But compared to the sheer brilliance of Ten Spot, Funeral and Get your Goat???
User avatar
xxxMidgexxx
 
Posts: 2235
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:32 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:oh god, no.



My favorite STT record, yo.



But compared to the sheer brilliance of Ten Spot, Funeral and Get your Goat???


Love those too, my friend! But this one is my personal favorite. In fact, I'm playing it as we speak.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
User avatar
gregpolard
 
Posts: 3618
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 am
Location: Ambler, PA

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:38 am

STOP
User avatar
xxxMidgexxx
 
Posts: 2235
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby the mean » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:03 am

I'm with gregpolard.
User avatar
the mean
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:58 pm

the mean wrote:I'm with gregpolard.


Sad.
User avatar
xxxMidgexxx
 
Posts: 2235
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:06 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
the mean wrote:I'm with gregpolard.


Sad.



WAHHHH ITS ON A MAJOR LABEL HOW DARE THEY
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
User avatar
gregpolard
 
Posts: 3618
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 am
Location: Ambler, PA

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby kevin » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:52 pm

It's either old stock or a bootleg. The band has no idea why this is listed there.
kevin
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby the mean » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:26 am

kevin wrote:It's either old stock or a bootleg. The band has no idea why this is listed there.

Does Epic still own the rights? My guess is that B-Core dealt directly with Epic and bypassed the band.
User avatar
the mean
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby FlexMyHead » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:19 pm

Speaking of the best STT record, I just got a new copy of it on blue vinyl straight from Dischord.

Image

I think I posted about this before, but there is just a shit-ton of these "reissue LP labels", they cast a wide net and have some punk rock shit in there from time to time, but it's purely a money/business. Sad thing bands like STT that are on major labels don't even get the big picture. I remember reading something about Mars Volta (ex-At The Drive In) who were upset about some Reissue Company re-releasing their records and said they were bootlegs then they company turned around a fucking owned them with a "Our releases are officially licensed and cleared by the copyright owners.". Whoops, might want to re-read your contact indie-band that signed to a major. Not 100% sure that happened to STT but wouldn't be surprised.

This was from an article about this:

Now, have you heard of an "authorized bootleg" before? Sounds weird, right? Well sadly, that has become all too prevelant in recent years. But what does it mean? Basically, a company gets a license for an album from the label that controls the masters for the album in question and then releases the record. Sounds kosher? Well no, because sadly, some companies skip the part where you find out if the band actually want you to release it—or for that matter if they want anyone to release it.

Sounds like something that shouldn't happen, right? Unfortunately, this is something that does happen, and quite often—in fact, there are companies out there that strictly release these so-called "authorized bootlegs," never bothering to get an artist's permission before profiting off of their work. Many times, the members of the band will not even know about the reissue until you, the consumer, do. Sometimes the band will already even be talking with a label they want to release the album through, and then said label contacts the master rightsholder to find out another company has already secured the license. (There are some cases where i think this is acceptable, which I'll cover later.) This is something that has happened to many of our friends lately, and us as well.
FlexMyHead
 
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:11 pm

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:34 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:Speaking of the best STT record, I just got a new copy of it on blue vinyl straight from Dischord.

Image

I think I posted about this before, but there is just a shit-ton of these "reissue LP labels", they cast a wide net and have some punk rock shit in there from time to time, but it's purely a money/business. Sad thing bands like STT that are on major labels don't even get the big picture. I remember reading something about Mars Volta (ex-At The Drive In) who were upset about some Reissue Company re-releasing their records and said they were bootlegs then they company turned around a fucking owned them with a "Our releases are officially licensed and cleared by the copyright owners.". Whoops, might want to re-read your contact indie-band that signed to a major. Not 100% sure that happened to STT but wouldn't be surprised.

This was from an article about this:

Now, have you heard of an "authorized bootleg" before? Sounds weird, right? Well sadly, that has become all too prevelant in recent years. But what does it mean? Basically, a company gets a license for an album from the label that controls the masters for the album in question and then releases the record. Sounds kosher? Well no, because sadly, some companies skip the part where you find out if the band actually want you to release it—or for that matter if they want anyone to release it.

Sounds like something that shouldn't happen, right? Unfortunately, this is something that does happen, and quite often—in fact, there are companies out there that strictly release these so-called "authorized bootlegs," never bothering to get an artist's permission before profiting off of their work. Many times, the members of the band will not even know about the reissue until you, the consumer, do. Sometimes the band will already even be talking with a label they want to release the album through, and then said label contacts the master rightsholder to find out another company has already secured the license. (There are some cases where i think this is acceptable, which I'll cover later.) This is something that has happened to many of our friends lately, and us as well.


Signing to a major label isn’t all ham and plaques.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx
 
Posts: 1535
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:56 am

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:55 pm

Up until and including Get your Goat, they were writing SONGS. And some beautiful stuff.

After that, I have no idea WTF happened. It was shockingly bad.
User avatar
xxxMidgexxx
 
Posts: 2235
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:55 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Up until and including Get your Goat, they were writing SONGS. And some beautiful stuff.

After that, I have no idea WTF happened. It was shockingly bad.


Are you saying that the songs on PER are too weird for you? 50000 BC, which i played the other day for the first time in years, is much more straightforward
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
User avatar
gregpolard
 
Posts: 3618
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 am
Location: Ambler, PA

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby version sound » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:39 pm

STT were always (musical) weirdos, and I don't see how PER is any weirder than what they did on Dischord.
Black Metal Matters
User avatar
version sound
 
Posts: 5054
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:08 am

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:51 pm

version sound wrote:STT were always (musical) weirdos, and I don't see how PER is any weirder than what they did on Dischord.



What?? huge noticable difference. Similar to what Radiohead has done now, at one point STT used to write songs on albums that used to flow. What later morphed into an artsy farsty non linear group of musical half baked thoughts and tones and sounds and whatnot. Evolution..? yeah ok. I just do not like what they have become. And that's pretty much where I'd wound up with Radiohead, though the latest one is a reset to a more song based album.
User avatar
xxxMidgexxx
 
Posts: 2235
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:53 pm

It's really two different bands. Not just sonically speaking, but as G Warrior said, just how they approached the construction of a song. I'm sure there are bits of songs on PER I might like, but as a whole, there really wasn't much for me to latch onto. Again, I realize how futile the whole "My ears work better than yours" statement is, but in this case, my ears do in fact work better than yours and Ten Spot is a better collection of pop-rock-punky songs with weirdo lyrics than the arty crafting of jagged sonic landscapes that is PER. But I haven't listened to PER since, well, forever. Maybe I've gotten old, strange and slow enough to dig it now? I hope not. HAHAHA
FlexMyHead
 
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:11 pm

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby version sound » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:23 am

I don't think anyone is arguing that PER is better than Ten Spot. If they are, they are...mistaken. While your ears my very well be better than mine, neither you nor Midge seem to be basing this on your ears. You seem to be basing your opinion on 20+ year old memories of what this record sounds like. You also seem to be forgetting that there were 2 albums between Ten Spot and PER. PER may have more "major label" production, but it's not that markedly different from Get Yer Goat otherwise. I suggest that you and Midge both go back and actually listen to the record.
Black Metal Matters
User avatar
version sound
 
Posts: 5054
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:08 am

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby JGJR » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:52 am

kevin wrote:It's either old stock or a bootleg. The band has no idea why this is listed there.


Craig says they just found out about it last week, but that it's official and that the label are nice folks. They're "working it out."
yourenotevil wrote:we've been wasting a lot of time on here then!
User avatar
JGJR
 
Posts: 6618
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby version sound » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:05 am

Tell Craig to make sure that they are mastering it from the original masters.
Black Metal Matters
User avatar
version sound
 
Posts: 5054
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:08 am

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby FlexMyHead » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:34 am

version sound wrote:I don't think anyone is arguing that PER is better than Ten Spot. If they are, they are...mistaken. While your ears my very well be better than mine, neither you nor Midge seem to be basing this on your ears. You seem to be basing your opinion on 20+ year old memories of what this record sounds like. You also seem to be forgetting that there were 2 albums between Ten Spot and PER. PER may have more "major label" production, but it's not that markedly different from Get Yer Goat otherwise. I suggest that you and Midge both go back and actually listen to the record.


Dammit, I need to work on my posts. I never seem to get my point across. I was attempting to make fun of someone who comments on an album without really knowing it (and one that's been out forever) and come on, just the ridiculousness of saying "my ears works better", who could possibly view that as anything but sarcastic?!

But, for STT, I saw them live before I heard them and while it was very different for me (mainly his vocals/stringing together nonsense words), but I really did like them. I do think they morphed into another band (which is 100% their right and I support!) and while I think they ended up finding their own sound that made them stick out, that particular sound just didn't appeal to me. But seriously, it matters not to me which LP is liked more and by who. Anyway Craig said he wished his audience had just been girls and gays, so I'm not their target audience! Back to listening to Age of Quarrel I go!

P.S. Sounds like what Mean and I said, somebody followed the proper channels, but just didn't bother to tell STT. What would be a good "punk" major-label band for me to inquire about re-releasing without telling the band?
FlexMyHead
 
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:11 pm

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby version sound » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:51 pm

I knew a few girls who liked STT and went to their shows, and they mostly all thought Craig himself was gay, which I don't think he is. Unfortunately, you can't pick your audience, so he's stuck with straight white boneheads like me.

PS: You really do need to work on making your posts more obviously ridiculous. Your previous post was nowhere near ridiculous enough to register on the sarcasm/parody meter, given the much more outrageous nonsense I've seen posted on this board with 100% sincerity.
Black Metal Matters
User avatar
version sound
 
Posts: 5054
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:08 am

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby the mean » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:26 pm

version sound wrote:Your previous post was nowhere near ridiculous enough to register on the sarcasm/parody meter, given the much more outrageous nonsense I've seen posted on this board with 100% sincerity.

That's what makes it good sarcasm.
User avatar
the mean
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:21 pm

Ya know, this entire thread...is really starting to irk me.

Matt, can we delete this whole thing? It's such an eye sore.
User avatar
xxxMidgexxx
 
Posts: 2235
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby the mean » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:04 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Ya know, this entire thread...is really starting to irk me.

Matt, can we delete this whole thing? It's such an eye sore.

Say what?...

[duh nuh nuh]
User avatar
the mean
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby JGJR » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:08 pm

version sound wrote:Tell Craig to make sure that they are mastering it from the original masters.


I could ask, but not my call.
yourenotevil wrote:we've been wasting a lot of time on here then!
User avatar
JGJR
 
Posts: 6618
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby JGJR » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:09 pm

version sound wrote:I knew a few girls who liked STT and went to their shows, and they mostly all thought Craig himself was gay, which I don't think he is. Unfortunately, you can't pick your audience, so he's stuck with straight white boneheads like me.


He's not (not that it matters)
yourenotevil wrote:we've been wasting a lot of time on here then!
User avatar
JGJR
 
Posts: 6618
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:24 pm

version sound wrote:I don't think anyone is arguing that PER is better than Ten Spot.


I am lol
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
User avatar
gregpolard
 
Posts: 3618
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 am
Location: Ambler, PA

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby version sound » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:07 pm

gregpolard wrote:
version sound wrote:I don't think anyone is arguing that PER is better than Ten Spot.


I am lol


Oh Greg...[sigh]
Black Metal Matters
User avatar
version sound
 
Posts: 5054
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:08 am

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:53 am

haha. I'm also about a decade younger than most people on here so, keep that in mind.

PER came out when I was in 8th grade or something. Ironically, it wasn't my first STT cd, that was Funeral/Ten Spot.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
User avatar
gregpolard
 
Posts: 3618
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 am
Location: Ambler, PA

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby the mean » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:05 pm

PER is my favorite STT LP as well, and I saw STT in 1989 (my one and only time seeing them).
User avatar
the mean
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:13 pm

the mean wrote:PER is my favorite STT LP as well, and I saw STT in 1989 (my one and only time seeing them).


:(
User avatar
xxxMidgexxx
 
Posts: 2235
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby the mean » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:51 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
the mean wrote:PER is my favorite STT LP as well, and I saw STT in 1989 (my one and only time seeing them).


:(

I know. I wish I would have seen them in 1994.
User avatar
the mean
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:06 pm

the mean wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:
the mean wrote:PER is my favorite STT LP as well, and I saw STT in 1989 (my one and only time seeing them).


:(

I know. I wish I would have seen them in 1994.


I saw the Get the Goat show. That was the last show before they broke up.
User avatar
xxxMidgexxx
 
Posts: 2235
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby XBambi's RevengeX » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:08 pm

PER is amazing, there is no other album I've heard like it. Still ain't my favourite as I get more enjoyment out of Ten Spot/Funeral, but it's a bit of a fools game to even begin to try and compare the sudden difference in output IMO.
XBambi's RevengeX
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:32 pm

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby version sound » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:17 pm

So, Dischord got some copies...


...and sold them all in a couple of hours :evil:
Black Metal Matters
User avatar
version sound
 
Posts: 5054
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:08 am

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby JGJR » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:08 am

version sound wrote:So, Dischord got some copies...


...and sold them all in a couple of hours :evil:


Should've jumped on this. Dang.
yourenotevil wrote:we've been wasting a lot of time on here then!
User avatar
JGJR
 
Posts: 6618
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: Pony Express Record reissue

Postby version sound » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:53 am

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:So, Dischord got some copies...


...and sold them all in a couple of hours :evil:


Should've jumped on this. Dang.


For some reason, I checked again around midnight and it was available again, so I hit that add to cart button hard AF. Checked back this morning and it's showing as sold out again. It wasn't cheap ($26 shipped), but cheaper than ordering from Europe.
Black Metal Matters
User avatar
version sound
 
Posts: 5054
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:08 am


Return to daghouse

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: the mean and 7 guests