Weezer - “pacific daydream”

Weezer - “pacific daydream”

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:23 am

Okay, I understand that WEEZER is either hit or miss. Also forgive me, I actually liked “Make Believe” AND my favorite album IS NOT “Pinkerton.” That being said I felt compelled to make a thread because “pacific daydream” has been canned by a lot of people, but I actually think it’s not bad. Not great, but there are some good tracks on there. Just to add, I like the white album too
^v^
WrEtcH

Re: Weezer - “pacific daydream”

Postby gregpolard » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:16 pm

WrEtcH wrote:Okay, I understand that WEEZER is either hit or miss. Also forgive me, I actually liked “Make Believe” AND my favorite album IS NOT “Pinkerton.” That being said I felt compelled to make a thread because “pacific daydream” has been canned by a lot of people, but I actually think it’s not bad. Not great, but there are some good tracks on there. Just to add, I like the white album too

I listened to the White Album once. Wasn't bad by any stretch, but I just kinda forgot it existed until recently. Haven't listened to this new one yet. I really enjoyed the one before White Album. Every Weezer record has at least a couple gems.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:08 pm

I'll admit that Rivers Cuomo fascinates me as some sort of autistic pop-idiot savant, but most of their music over the past decade screams "product". The dude really does create spreadsheets breaking down Top-40 hits in an effort to figure out how they work. Like I said, the process is kinda fascinating but I sure as hell don't wanna listen to it.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:31 pm

scannest wrote:I'll admit that Rivers Cuomo fascinates me as some sort of autistic pop-idiot savant, but most of their music over the past decade screams "product". The dude really does create spreadsheets breaking down Top-40 hits in an effort to figure out how they work. Like I said, the process is kinda fascinating but I sure as hell don't wanna listen to it.

He really is such an odd guy.

I will say that one of my musical highlights was seeing them in 2011 and for the encore they came out and did the Blue Album front to back.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:28 am

scannest wrote:I'll admit that Rivers Cuomo fascinates me as some sort of autistic pop-idiot savant, but most of their music over the past decade screams "product". The dude really does create spreadsheets breaking down Top-40 hits in an effort to figure out how they work. Like I said, the process is kinda fascinating but I sure as hell don't wanna listen to it.

This, though I'd say last 15 years, not just the last 10. I haven't bought a Weezer album since Maladroit, which is where they lose me. I did like the song they did with Bethany Costenino of Best Coast on a recent album and what I heard from the one after wasn't bad, either, but I just can't be arsed to care like I did in the early '00s. I didn't care at all when the s/t and Pinkerton (those obviously represent their best work) came out because I was way too snobby to get with anything on MTV then, but got into them around the time of the Green album (or right before it came out) because they were already cult favorites at the time. I was one of the few who liked the Green album.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:29 am

gregpolard wrote:

He really is such an odd guy.

I will say that one of my musical highlights was seeing them in 2011 and for the encore they came out and did the Blue Album front to back.

I wish I'd seen that instead of the shitty show I was them do on the Green album tour.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Return to daghouse