Dischord 6 EP box set

Re: Dischord 6 EP box set

Postby gregpolard » Tue May 11, 2021 7:28 pm

kevin wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:Aren't all these records already on Spotify?

Says the guy who probably owns a Marillon can opener.

Don’t get him started on his Marillon lounge pants. (P.S. they are three sizes too small...it looks like what happens when you try to put the cereal bag back In the box)

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby kevin » Tue May 11, 2021 7:28 pm

version sound wrote:That was S.O.A. on green for Soundgarden Room A Thousand Years Wide on grape vinyl. At the time SOA on green was maybe a $30 record. It wasn’t a bad trade back then. Over time, he clearly made the better investment. He still has it too, so I don’t feel bad about it.

I couldn’t remember which one you gave up. He does still have it. You should have made a deal to trade back if he wants to sell.
kevin

Postby creature » Tue May 11, 2021 7:48 pm

Here's my story on owning these gems since the beginning...

http://theressomethinghardinthere.blogs ... ds-to.html

The red Minor Threat first pressing has an interesting story: After my brother and I spun it countless times in our room, we loaned it to Fletcher (pre-Pennywise) over in Manhattan Beach and expected to have it back in our hands within a week or so. As the weeks dragged by, we learned that Fletcher had passed it on to someone else, and then that punk had done the same. Fuck. After many phone calls and bike rides to peoples' houses, we finally retrieved our gold-star record and have never let it leave the house since. I look back and laugh every time I pull that sucker out for another play.
creature

Postby kevin » Tue May 11, 2021 7:52 pm

creature wrote:Here's my story on owning these gems since the beginning...

http://theressomethinghardinthere.blogs ... ds-to.html

The red Minor Threat first pressing has an interesting story: After my brother and I spun it countless times in our room, we loaned it to Fletcher (pre-Pennywise) over in Manhattan Beach and expected to have it back in our hands within a week or so. As the weeks dragged by, we learned that Fletcher had passed it on to someone else, and then that punk had done the same. Fuck. After many phone calls and bike rides to peoples' houses, we finally retrieved our gold-star record and have never let it leave the house since. I look back and laugh every time I pull that sucker out for another play.

kevin

Postby fiestaware » Tue May 11, 2021 10:30 pm

kevin wrote:Eric of Wind of Change

I wasn't at all prepared for this deep cut today.
fiestaware

Postby JGJR » Wed May 12, 2021 8:54 am

captain2man wrote:
gregpolard wrote:I'm just happy to own these as 7"s as I never thought I would.

Me too Greg....me too.

Two's a crowd and three's a party, no? Me and Jeff will have some brewskies and we'll bring some O'Douls for you. (and flavored seltzer for Jav if he ordered this, too) :lol:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Wed May 12, 2021 9:29 am

JGJR wrote:
captain2man wrote:

Me too Greg....me too.

Two's a crowd and three's a party, no? Me and Jeff will have some brewskies and we'll bring some O'Douls for you. (and flavored seltzer for Jav if he ordered this, too) :lol:

Did you cop?
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu May 13, 2021 9:46 am

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:
captain2man wrote:

Me too Greg....me too.

Did you cop?

Not yet, but I definitely plan to soon.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Thu May 13, 2021 9:53 am

What does "did you cop" mean? You youngsters and your slang!
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Thu May 13, 2021 9:58 am

lewdd wrote:What does "did you cop" mean? You youngsters and your slang!

:lol: :lol: :lol: (to your "youngsters" statement; I'll be 46 on Sunday)

It's just another way of saying buy or pre-order in this case. It also has a bunch of other meanings like grab, bogart, etc.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cop
JGJR

Postby the mean » Thu May 13, 2021 10:15 am

fiestaware wrote:

Also Samuel, who are recording new songs.
the mean

Postby JGJR » Fri May 14, 2021 10:52 am

the mean wrote:
fiestaware wrote:

Oh wow really? I haven't thought about them in a minute. I'm a huge Junction fan, so I'll listen to anything with Vanessa singing. Is Wind of Change also part of that Harrisburg/State College to DC pipeline with the Farinas, Admiral, Hoover, my friend Garrett, etc.? EDIT: I looked them up on Discogs; had no idea Eric Astor was in a band in Arizona. Interesting.
JGJR

Postby kevin » Fri May 14, 2021 11:30 am

JGJR wrote:
the mean wrote:
fiestaware wrote:

Oh wow really? I haven't thought about them in a minute. I'm a huge Junction fan, so I'll listen to anything with Vanessa singing. Is Wind of Change also part of that Harrisburg/State College to DC pipeline with the Farinas, Admiral, Hoover, my friend Garrett, etc.? EDIT: I looked them up on Discogs; had no idea Eric Astor was in a band in Arizona. Interesting.

No....sorta... Wind Of Change was part of the Tempe AZ pipeline that moved east after they broke up. Eric ran a label called Step Forward Records in Tempe. Alex Dunham ended up coming and forming Hoover. The Wall brothers started up Kerosene 454. They were all good friends with the Admiral guys up in Penn.
kevin

Postby JGJR » Fri May 14, 2021 11:41 am

kevin wrote:
JGJR wrote:
the mean wrote:
fiestaware wrote:

No....sorta... Wind Of Change was part of the Tempe AZ pipeline that moved east after they broke up. Eric ran a label called Step Forward Records in Tempe. Alex Dunham ended up coming and forming Hoover. The Wall brothers started up Kerosene 454. They were all good friends with the Admiral guys up in Penn.

Thanks for that. I had a chance to meet one of the guys from Admiral a few years back when Don't Sleep played here as openers for Shelter. He was on the 1st Admiral 7" only, not on Revolving & Loading. I saw Hoover and Kerosene 454 at Hiltz's, both '94 I think and both just absolutely astonishingly intense and tight, but I never got to see Junction and I liked them more than any of those groups (Admiral were great, too, but just a hair or so before my time).
JGJR

Postby the mean » Fri May 14, 2021 1:24 pm

JGJR wrote:I had a chance to meet one of the guys from Admiral a few years back when Don't Sleep played here as openers for Shelter. He was on the 1st Admiral 7" only, not on Revolving & Loading.

Pretty sure it was the same lineup on both records. As a side note, drummer William Mecum (who fronted Karma To Burn) passed away recently.
the mean

Postby kevin » Fri May 14, 2021 6:21 pm

JGJR wrote:
kevin wrote:
JGJR wrote:
the mean wrote:
fiestaware wrote:

Thanks for that. I had a chance to meet one of the guys from Admiral a few years back when Don't Sleep played here as openers for Shelter. He was on the 1st Admiral 7" only, not on Revolving & Loading. I saw Hoover and Kerosene 454 at Hiltz's, both '94 I think and both just absolutely astonishingly intense and tight, but I never got to see Junction and I liked them more than any of those groups (Admiral were great, too, but just a hair or so before my time).

Very cool. I saw WOC in the summer of 1989 in DC. Played with Admiral. Dismal turnout. I’m pretty sure not including the bands, only 5 people showed up. Both bands were good though.
kevin

Postby JGJR » Sat May 15, 2021 8:35 am

the mean wrote:
JGJR wrote:I had a chance to meet one of the guys from Admiral a few years back when Don't Sleep played here as openers for Shelter. He was on the 1st Admiral 7" only, not on Revolving & Loading.

Pretty sure it was the same lineup on both records. As a side note, drummer William Mecum (who fronted Karma To Burn) passed away recently.

Sorry to hear that. RIP. And according to Discogs, it looks like you're correct. I'll have to check my copy of Revolving and Loading, but I thought Mike wasn't on it for some reason.
JGJR

Postby FlexMyHead » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:49 am

Wait... this box-set is preorder for a month only? Does that mean that it isn't going to be mass produced or they are just printing enough for pre-orders? That seems really weird as somebody might have been arrested and be in jail for like 6 months and then get out and find out its on sale and almost miss ordering it. I'd figure it would make way more sense for them to just keep them in print? That Ian is such a nut.
FlexMyHead

Postby scannest » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:14 am

FlexMyHead wrote:That seems really weird as somebody might have been arrested and be in jail for like 6 months and then get out and find out its on sale and almost miss ordering it.

Is this how you're explaining your recent absence from the board?
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:51 am

scannest wrote:
FlexMyHead wrote:That seems really weird as somebody might have been arrested and be in jail for like 6 months and then get out and find out its on sale and almost miss ordering it.

Is this how you're explaining your recent absence from the board?

That's what I was thinking
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:56 am

ENDGAME!

We’re entering the final week of the First Six Records Boxset pre-order window. The ordering period is set to end on Friday, June 11th, so now is the time to act if you or anyone you know is thinking about getting a boxset.

This is a mail-order only release (no distributors or stores will be carrying it) and must be pre-ordered at this time.

The pressing quantity will be determined by the pre-orders that arrive prior to the the boxset site being turned off at the end of next week.

Manufacturing will begin soon after we stop taking orders and we are expecting to ship the finished pieces to everyone before the end of the year.
Many thanks to everyone who has placed an order, especially for your patience!
lewdd

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:04 am

nice

xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:09 am

version sound wrote:That was S.O.A. on green for Soundgarden Room A Thousand Years Wide on grape vinyl. At the time SOA on green was maybe a $30 record. It wasn’t a bad trade back then. Over time, he clearly made the better investment. He still has it too, so I don’t feel bad about it.

If it's any consolation, that is probably my favorite Soundgarden song.
gregpolard

Postby pedro » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:30 am

I'm pissed mine still hasn't arrived.
Hello.
pedro

Postby lewdd » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:33 am

pedro wrote:I'm pissed mine still hasn't arrived.

And, to think that they haven't even started making them yet...WTF
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:33 am

I hope they number them so I can flip mine for a profit. There is probably some guy in jail right now that doesn't even know about this release. He will pay anything for it when he gets out and finds out he missed out on ordering.
lewdd

Postby version sound » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:43 am

gregpolard wrote:

If it's any consolation, that is probably my favorite Soundgarden song.

Do I wish I still had the SOA? Sure, but I don’t feel to bad about it, really. The dude I traded it to still has it 30 years later. If anything, he deserves it more than I do. He kept the faith while I moved on to other stuff.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:58 am

lewdd wrote:

Ian must personally hate you guys. Mine arrived weeks ago.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:00 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
lewdd wrote:

Oh, I was wondering how you had a nice picture of it already. Does it sound as good as it looks?
lewdd

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:56 pm

lewdd wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:
lewdd wrote:

Oh, I was wondering how you had a nice picture of it already. Does it sound as good as it looks?

That's a crazy question. Ian deserves more respect.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby FlexMyHead » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:11 am

So I emailed Discord.com and they said yes, this is a one time thing, strange. I thought maybe they'd make this batch mailorder then like press a set amount to sell. Kinda cool that they decided to go this route even though I'm sure it will lose them potential future sales.

Fuck Bitcoin, I'm going all in on Dischord box sets. I just need to figure out how I can get Elon to tweet about it on June 12th and I'll be set!

FlexMyHead

Postby JGJR » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:49 pm

Very late to the game, but I finally ordered a copy. I am beyond psyched for this release!
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:50 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:So I emailed Discord.com and they said yes, this is a one time thing, strange. I thought maybe they'd make this batch mailorder then like press a set amount to sell. Kinda cool that they decided to go this route even though I'm sure it will lose them potential future sales.

Fuck Bitcoin, I'm going all in on Dischord box sets. I just need to figure out how I can get Elon to tweet about it on June 12th and I'll be set!

Anyone know how many copies have been pre-ordered already? I'm not a huge fan of pre-orders tbh generally, but since this is the only option, I'm gonna go for it.
JGJR

Postby Nico » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:55 am

Nico

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:01 am

Nico wrote:https://open.spotify.com/episode/5anzPGyetjQnLxlB97ywh6?si=U7B3E1y7TKSxx_L537xAKw

This is a great listen.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:29 am

gregpolard wrote:
Nico wrote:https://open.spotify.com/episode/5anzPGyetjQnLxlB97ywh6?si=U7B3E1y7TKSxx_L537xAKw

This is a great listen.

Yup. Thanks for the heads up.

To answer JGJR’s question, Ian said they have “over 5000” orders.

Anyone double down and buy two of these? It seems like an absolute no brainer if you have the cash...
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby the mean » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:38 am

JGJR wrote:Anyone know how many copies have been pre-ordered already? I'm not a huge fan of pre-orders tbh generally, but since this is the only option, I'm gonna go for it.

I know that Dischord said order #s may not be accurate, but someone posted that they ordered recently had order #11,000something.
the mean

Postby FlexMyHead » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:55 pm

the mean wrote:
JGJR wrote:Anyone know how many copies have been pre-ordered already? I'm not a huge fan of pre-orders tbh generally, but since this is the only option, I'm gonna go for it.

I know that Dischord said order #s may not be accurate, but someone posted that they ordered recently had order #11,000something.

Does that seem like a low amount to anybody else? I mean, these records sell for hundreds of dollars and many are still hoarded by a bunch of fucktards who aren't ever gonna sell them. I looked at my order(s) and this was the order number from over a week ago (if each order is one sold that is).

FlexMyHead

Postby FlexMyHead » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:58 pm

gregpolard wrote:

This is a great listen.

What is that? I don't fuck with Spotify.
FlexMyHead

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:27 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

This is a great listen.

What is that? I don't fuck with Spotify.

Podcast where Ian talks about the box set.
gregpolard

Postby pedro » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:10 pm

I'm not sure how many Branch Manger CDs Dischord moves each week, but why would the order number on that particular order be limited to the box set pre-orders? If it is sequential, that would probably encompass all the orders submitted to Dischord in the past X time period, like 2021, not just the box set. I imagine there is a prefix to that order form (Like 2021 or something) that doesn't get printed out on the order.
Hello.
pedro

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:18 pm

pedro wrote:I'm not sure how many Branch Manger CDs Dischord moves each week, but why would the order number on that particular order be limited to the box set pre-orders? If it is sequential, that would probably encompass all the orders submitted to Dischord in the past X time period, like 2021, not just the box set. I imagine there is a prefix to that order form (Like 2021 or something) that doesn't get printed out on the order.

On the podcast Ian actually said this is all entirely separate. Separate website, separate financial account etc.
gregpolard

Postby the mean » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:23 pm

pedro wrote:I'm not sure how many Branch Manger CDs Dischord moves each week, but why would the order number on that particular order be limited to the box set pre-orders? If it is sequential, that would probably encompass all the orders submitted to Dischord in the past X time period, like 2021, not just the box set. I imagine there is a prefix to that order form (Like 2021 or something) that doesn't get printed out on the order.

The boxset preorder looks to be a different system. I ordered first day and have #1305. I don't think those numbers include other Dischord orders. They may not be coming out exactly sequentially, but I'm guessing Flexy's 5/29 order # is pretty close to the amount sold by that date.
the mean

Postby pedro » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:46 pm

Hello.
pedro

Postby lewdd » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:15 pm

I'm #915
lewdd

Postby version sound » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:39 pm

Again, I don’t know when the podcast was recorded, but Ian said over 5,000 orders, which I take to mean “less than 6,000.” I could be wrong, but as this is a weekly podcast, I kind of doubt the interview is more than a week or so old.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby drew » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:21 pm

version sound wrote:Again, I don’t know when the podcast was recorded, but Ian said over 5,000 orders, which I take to mean “less than 6,000.” I could be wrong, but as this is a weekly podcast, I kind of doubt the interview is more than a week or so old.

Ian doesn’t strike me as “watching the counter” kind of person. WDIK? He will be told a number at the end and start making boxes. Each one glued together by him & Alec. And Hank. Almost forgot Hank.
drew

Postby version sound » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:29 pm

drew wrote:
version sound wrote:Again, I don’t know when the podcast was recorded, but Ian said over 5,000 orders, which I take to mean “less than 6,000.” I could be wrong, but as this is a weekly podcast, I kind of doubt the interview is more than a week or so old.

Ian doesn’t strike me as “watching the counter” kind of person. WDIK? He will be told a number at the end and start making boxes. Each one glued together by him & Alec. And Hank. Almost forgot Hank.

Are you kidding? Dude’s got a friggin’ database for everything. He seems very involved in this shit.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby drew » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:33 pm

version sound wrote:
drew wrote:

Are you kidding? Dude’s got a friggin’ database for everything. He seems very involved in this shit.

I was kinda joking. He’s doing the ultimate collector-scum thing while maintaining total integrity. Genius.

My guess from the beginning was 20K. If there was more time they would just more repeat buyers
drew

Postby lewdd » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:55 pm

That was an interesting listen. LMK when part 2 is posted.
lewdd

PreviousNext

Return to daghouse