Dischord 6 EP box set

Dischord 6 EP box set

Postby kevin » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:12 pm

Dischord 6 EPs box set soon to be released. Good news.
kevin

Re: Dischord 6 EP box set

Postby version sound » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:47 am

As in the first 6 EPs (on vinyl hopefully)?
Rave down
version sound

Postby FlexMyHead » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:16 am

Yo,
Kevin doesn't have time to motherfuckin' elaborate. He drops nuggets of wisdom and then vanishes, like Casper the Friendly Ghost.

I'm guessing it will be these 6 records that still sell like fuckin' hotcakes on ebay:

ImageImage

I can only wish I had a nickel for each time Dischord mailorder had to field a request for a repress of Fidelity Jones earth shattering 7" on 180 gram vinyl. This record changed the landscape of recorded music. Period.
FlexMyHead

Postby kevin » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:54 am

Sorry, lots going on. Yes, as in the first 6 7". Legless Bull rides again
kevin

Postby version sound » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:28 pm

kevin wrote:Sorry, lots going on. Yes, as in the first 6 7". Legless Bull rides again

Fuck yeah! I hope they make them true to the originals (no heavy or glossy cardboard and no UPC). I'll buy either way.
Rave down
version sound

Postby earthdog70 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:41 pm

Flex-nice slip in of Pansy Division :lol:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby FlexMyHead » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:51 am

version sound wrote:
Fuck yeah! I hope they make them true to the originals (no heavy or glossy cardboard and no UPC). I'll buy either way.

Honestly, they need heavy/glossy sleeves. I also hope they have some variations so people don't try to pass them off as the real ones. I plan to continue to buy the first Discord 7" until I am released from this mortal coil, only to have them all being melted at my funeral and have the footage posted online. I'll be doing the world a favor as the remaining ones I haven't gotten my grubby fingers on will now be more worth!
FlexMyHead

Postby version sound » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:05 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:
version sound wrote:

Honestly, they need heavy/glossy sleeves. I also hope they have some variations so people don't try to pass them off as the real ones. I plan to continue to buy the first Discord 7" until I am released from this mortal coil, only to have them all being melted at my funeral and have the footage posted online. I'll be doing the world a favor as the remaining ones I haven't gotten my grubby fingers on will now be more worth!

I owned some version of all of them. Teen Idles was a second press, first Minor Threat was a 4th press, and In My Eyes was a third press. If the reissues feel "modern," that will be a big turn off. They won't be using the same stampers, so the reissues will always be distinguishable from originals by matrix number. T&G did an amazing job with the Fix records. If they are half as good as those, I'll be happy.
Rave down
version sound

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:19 pm

version sound wrote:
I owned some version of all of them. Teen Idles was a second press, first Minor Threat was a 4th press, and In My Eyes was a third press. If the reissues feel "modern," that will be a big turn off. They won't be using the same stampers, so the reissues will always be distinguishable from originals by matrix number. T&G did an amazing job with the Fix records. If they are half as good as those, I'll be happy.

Well, I am a record collector nerd, but unlike most, I actually listen to the records and don't keep them in a climate-controlled sleep chamber and rub them with a brush after each listen, so I put the records in and out of the sleeves etc and those sleeves are like wafer-thing. I'm scared to touch the paper as I tore the shit out of one Minor Threat sleeve putting it in a photo with my fuckin' Hummels (normal wear and tear). I have no issue with them upgrading the sleeves. I haven't seen the Fix record, but I think there is going to be more interest in the Discord ones and if it's a box-set of some sort, then they are going to be some design issues. I'm just gonna buy it regardless so what the fuck does my opinion even matter??!
FlexMyHead

Postby danny » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:12 am

i suggested to ian a while ago that he should do the 4 old demo's album (the four re-released demo singles) on colored vinyl or something. would be nice.
danny

Postby version sound » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:15 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:Well, I am a record collector nerd, but unlike most, I actually listen to the records and don't keep them in a climate-controlled sleep chamber and rub them with a brush after each listen, so I put the records in and out of the sleeves etc and those sleeves are like wafer-thing. I'm scared to touch the paper as I tore the shit out of one Minor Threat sleeve putting it in a photo with my fuckin' Hummels (normal wear and tear). I have no issue with them upgrading the sleeves. I haven't seen the Fix record, but I think there is going to be more interest in the Discord ones and if it's a box-set of some sort, then they are going to be some design issues. I'm just gonna buy it regardless so what the fuck does my opinion even matter??!

Why in the world do you have to take the sleeve out to play the record? That's what the opening at the top is for.
Rave down
version sound

Postby MikeD » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:23 pm

Is this a true thing?
MikeD

Postby version sound » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:50 pm

MikeD wrote:Is this a true thing?

Probably? Kevin usually has good intel. I messaged Dischord and asked them to confirm/deny and got no response. They are usually pretty quick to respond, so I'm guessing it's real, but they aren't ready to officially announce it yet.
Rave down
version sound

Postby Nico » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:04 am

version sound wrote:
MikeD wrote:Is this a true thing?

Probably? Kevin usually has good intel. I messaged Dischord and asked them to confirm/deny and got no response. They are usually pretty quick to respond, so I'm guessing it's real, but they aren't ready to officially announce it yet.

I never ever get a response, only when I bug Ian directly.
Nico

Postby BAIN » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:14 am

Honest question...

What was the last Dischord release you guys went bonkers over that was from a newer band, excluding Red Hare and the recent Dag Nasty?
BAIN

Postby drew » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:54 am

BAIN wrote:Honest question...

What was the last Dischord release you guys went bonkers over that was from a newer band, excluding Red Hare and the recent Dag Nasty?

I still like Dischord. Yes, Red Hare & DN but also the most recent THE EFFECTS is really good Other "newer" stuff like Office of Future Plans, Black Eyes, El Guapo......they still put out quality releases if you dig the "DC" sound
drew

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:05 am

Well, besides the Red Hare LP, 7" and Dag Nasty 7" and the slew of re-released stuff (and/or stuff like Youth Brigade/SOA 7") the things that I was even remotely interested in would have to be:

Office of Future Plans (2011)
Evens LP (2006)
Lungfish "Love is Love" (2003)
Bluetip (2001)

So yeah, they are pretty much a "back catalog label".

But to be honest, I don't think Dischord has any interest in seeking out or having an updated roster. I mean besides ads in mags like MRR and simple promo posters and stuff, they never really were into pushing bands anyway? I think I've read that bands that expressed an interest in the label in the past 10 years were turned down. Not sure if Dot Dash or newer bands even asked or if it's just an unspoken "don't call me, I'll call you" kinda thing. Like Frontier or SST (besides the whole "not paying the band"), they seem to be focused on keeping their back catalog in print and available. Nothing wrong with that?
FlexMyHead

Postby the mean » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:11 am

FlexMyHead wrote:Well, besides the Red Hare LP, 7" and Dag Nasty 7" and the slew of re-released stuff (and/or stuff like Youth Brigade/SOA 7") the things that I was even remotely interested in would have to be:

Office of Future Plans (2011)
Evens LP (2006)
Lungfish "Love is Love" (2003)
Bluetip (2001)

No love for "Feral Hymns"?
the mean

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:19 am

the mean wrote:No love for "Feral Hymns"?

Well, Lungfish really only have one song, they just play it slightly differently. So yeah, I like that LP also!
FlexMyHead

Postby kevin » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:00 pm

Recent is fairly relative since dischord only puts out a new record like maybe once a year now and some of those were old recordings released. With that said, the Deathfix record was absolutley amazing...to me
kevin

Postby scannest » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:56 am

I really like THE EFFECTS record, but "bonkers'" is probably too strong a word.
"Maybe if Lewdd posts pics of barbecued salmon, you can post pictures of sushi?" -Jimmy Heartburn
scannest

Postby kevin » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:19 pm

I listened to The Effects LP the other day. I liked it a lot. Very impressed.
kevin

Return to daghouse