Riot Fest '17

Riot Fest '17

Postby drew » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:13 pm

My quick take on Riot Fest, my first time at this one. Very organized & well run.

I can't find my program so I might forget a band or two but here's who we saw. We were there Sat/Sun so no NIN, New Order, X, Buzzcocks, Ministry.....

BEST COAST- very good
BEACH SLANG- good
FISHBONE - great! Truth & Soul album show
PEACHES- Very good but I couldn't post one single pic. She's filthy but hilarious
DEAD CROSS- awesome! I immediately bought the album one of the best of the year
BAD BRAINS- not good. Really not good. It's over now please stop
QOTSA- Ugh. Busted out before they were over
THE MIGHTY MIGHTY BOSSTONES- really good, better than expected. Let's face it full album show
THAT DOG- good. Retreat from the Sun album show
CAP'N JAZZ- great. Fun, drunk & emo I never thought I'd see this band. I was very happy.
THE LAWRENCE ARMS- good. Only caught a few songs. Oh, Calcutta! Album show
BUILT TO SPILL - only caught one song "the plan" which was great but had to get over to Cap'n jazz, hard choices had to be made
M.I.A- saw about half the set, she was great but had to get our spot for Jawbreaker
DINOSAUR JR.- excellent as always. Full album set of "you're living all over me" then did "the wagon"!!
PROPHETS OF RAGE- complete drek. What a ripoff to fans of any of their bands.
DANZIG- only saw a couple of tunes, they were doing "how the gods kill" I can't do Danzig in daylight, sorry.
JAWBREAKER- great great great. Perfect end to the Fest Now tour
drew

Re: Riot Fest '17

Postby earthdog70 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:48 pm

Glad to hear you had a good time. Lewdd, MXV and I could have told you that Bad Brains were awful the last time they played Riot Fest. Did HR have his winter jacket on and bring his luggage out on stage with him :?:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby the mean » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:14 pm

I haven't been to more than a couple big fests, and this was my first Riot Fest. I hadn't even considered going, but Mrs. Mean went and found us a babysitter and got us tickets.

We only went Saturday and Sunday as well, and that was plenty. We were there all of 5 minutes before a photographer made a beeline to us, handed us a couple of Vitamin Waters and asked if he could take our picture drinking them. I said no and didn't give it back. I assume he didn't really want my picture anyway. I assume there is a picture of Mrs. Mean drinking a Vitamin Water out there somewhere.

Pretty stoked they segregated the poppunk on Saturday to one stage so we could avoid it, although we had to be subjected to it walking to get food.

BANDS:

GBH
We got there just after they started. It was hot. Colin was wearing a leather jacket. I missed GBH when they came through Sacramento in 1987 because it was a school night, and the only way I could go to shows was to stay the night at a friend's house. Happy to finally see them. They played the hits. I have a soft spot for this band, despite the sometimes dopey lyrics. Was glad to finally catch them. They were tight, and sounded good.

FISHBONE
Another band I always wanted to see. Best dressed band that played the fest. Super talented and all over the place. The couple standing in front of us were more stoked on them than anyone else on any band. Like a lot of bands at this fest, not sure I would go out of my way to see them, but glad I got to do so.

PEACHES
Peaches was fucking great. I didn't stop laughing the whole time. Great costumes. Recommended.

DEAD CROSS
Justin is an old friend, and it was cool to see him in a band with Mike Patton and the dude from Slayer. The (double) kick drum was insanely loud in the mix. I hadn't heard them before, and I guess I wasn't expecting too much. They were pretty good, though. Patton is a good hardcore vocalist, although I could have used less vocal effects and trying to be weird. Covered "Nazi Punks", "Bela Lugosi's Dead" and a GG Allin song.

BAD BRAINS
I think we all know this, but HR sure didn't look well, physically or mentally. Their set was pretty much what I expected, in that he barely moved. I'm not sure how much more we think 60 year olds with health problems are going to give us. Who is that kid that plays second guitar? Someone's grandson? Also, some dude from Lamb of God finished the last three songs in HR's place. Glad I got to see them.

DANZIG
Funnier than Peaches? Maybe. We grabbed more food after Bad Brains, and when we were over there, really all we could hear were Danzig's vocals. Pretty rad. Walked back over and caught a few songs. I don't think I have ever taken him seriously in any of his bands.

GOGOL BORDELLO
Best sounding band, in terms of the mix, for the entire fest. Could have been their sound person, or where we were standing, or that the sparseness of their sound just worked well in this setting. I actually kinda like this band. Unique sound, good musicianship, fun show.

AT THE DRIVE-IN
Worst sounding band, in terms of the mix, for the entire fest. Complete muddiness. New guitarist had a fauxhawk. Omar lost interest about halfway through their set. Despite all that, they have some catchy songs and lots of energy. This is one band that I really wished I was seeing in a small club instead of in this setting.

WU TANG CLAN
Was only able to catch their last few songs. Live hip hop without a live band is always tough to pull off. Having 8 members on stage helps, though. Happy that we at least got to see a few songs.

-----

Went to Chicago Diner for lunch on Sunday, so missed the early afternoon bands.

MIGHTY MIGHTY BOSSTONES
Like Colin GBH, not dressed for the weather. I mean, I don't own anything by this band, but I don't turn the station when I hear them. Is there any good post-1990 ska?

CAP'N JAZZ
Holy shit, they were good. No Davey, though. Saw them 1994, and was pleasantly surprised at how fucking good a couple of them were at their instruments at this point. The drummer really held it all together. I know all the press loved Tim acting like a dope, I would have preferred a couple more songs instead of being funny. It just seemed like he was uncomfortable and responded by acting like a dork. Whatever, though. When they played they killed it. Best band of the fest not named Jawbreaker.

MINUS THE BEAR
Jake is another really old friend, and his band is pretty good, although not as good as Sharks Keep Moving. I enjoyed their mellow vibe, although the other guitarist has a really odd stage presence. Missed "Bro Hymn" for this set.

DINOSAUR JR.
Really tight and good. Made the sometime second guitarist kinda hide in the back. Nice to see this lineup. Love J. surrounding himself with amps. Who doesn't like Dinosaur Jr.?

PROPHETS OF RAGE
We stayed where we were so we would have a good spot for Jawbreaker. This band is what it is. I've seem Public Enemy, but none of the other members' bands. I have to say, that watching Morello play guitar up close was pretty great. Dude is all over the place and didn't miss a note. I'm not going to buy their LP, and will likely never see them again, but I wasn't bored.

JAWBREAKER
I was always team Sarah Kirsch ("they offered you a million bucks, but I won't be your steady fuck"), but I don't have any hard feelings towards these guys, despite them making ethical choices that I would not. I dealt with them a new times, and they were always super stand up dudes. The band kinda went down in flames in 1996, and I didn't really like their last album, but I was a bit choked up watching them play in front of so many people. Especially closing with "Kiss The Bottle" and "Bivouac". It's kinda hard to process that a band that meant so much to a bunch of us punks could headline over all these big rock bands. It just seems unreal. Ultimately, I'm really happy for them. It has to be extremely validating for them, with their families there, to play a show like that. They are 50 or so now, and I hope things come together so they can play more and be happy doing it. I know there were lots of complaints about playing a fest vs. small clubs, but I think this turned out pretty amazing. Plus, I've seen them at small shows 15-20 times, so this was something different for me.
the mean

Postby the mean » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:17 pm

earthdog70 wrote:Did HR have his winter jacket on and bring his luggage out on stage with him :?:

the mean

Postby drew » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:37 am

earthdog70 wrote:Glad to hear you had a good time. Lewdd, MXV and I could have told you that Bad Brains were awful the last time they played Riot Fest. Did HR have his winter jacket on and bring his luggage out on stage with him :?:

Lol. I’ve been lucky in recent years seeing Bad Brains. I never suffered thru HR’s crazier antics, I always got him on a good day, actually singing the songs! Of course nothing like the old days but good enough just to hear those amazing tunes. But now he just doesn’t have the energy to be on stage. Doc too. It’s done, let it rest.
drew

Return to daghouse