Pitchfork: The 200 Best Albums of the 1960s

Pitchfork: The 200 Best Albums of the 1960s

Postby version sound » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:24 am

http://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/the-200-best-albums-of-the-1960s/

These kinds of lists are usually kind of shit, but this one is actually pretty decent. I would argue with some of the ranking, and if you're only going to pick one 13th Floor Elevators record, it should be Easter Everywhere, but it's pretty decent overall. The only thing they really missed was early '60s instrumental/surf rock. They should have put an early Ventures record on there (or my pick, the Surf Teens LP).
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: Pitchfork: The 200 Best Albums of the 1960s

Postby scannest » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:19 pm

I really wish they'd leave jazz records off these lists - it muddies the water too much. But if the sole criteria is Long Form records released during the decade, I get it.
It's a smart list. Time + the (comparatively) smaller pool of music to choose from- compared to the last few decades, makes it easier to form a consensus.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby version sound » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:39 pm

I agree about jazz and R&B. It makes things a little too broad.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:49 am

scannest wrote:I really wish they'd leave jazz records off these lists - it muddies the water too much. But if the sole criteria is Long Form records released during the decade, I get it.
It's a smart list. Time + the (comparatively) smaller pool of music to choose from- compared to the last few decades, makes it easier to form a consensus.

Agreed; plus I'd argue that it's the last decade in which most people heard MOST of the best stuff in the pop milieu (British Invasion, girl groups, Motown/Stax, garage one-hit wonders, psych, early hard rock/metal/prog, surf/instrumental, et al.) as a lot of it topped the charts, with of course the exceptions being VU. Stooges, Elevators, Love, et al.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Return to daghouse