For the Love of Jah...

For the Love of Jah...

Postby version sound » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:24 am

Someone please post about something other than The Last, Descendents, or All. Even posts about Dag Nasty would be welcome at this point.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: For the Love of Jah...

Postby pedro » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:44 am

Off the top of my head, I have the following songs with "Jah" in the title:

"Forever Loving Jah" - Bob Marley and the Wailers
"I Love I Jah" - Bad Brains
"Blow Me Jah" - Meatmen

There maybe more. Probably. I'm not sure.
Hello.
pedro

Postby JGJR » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:55 am

version sound wrote:Someone please post about something other than The Last, Descendents, or All. Even posts about Dag Nasty would be welcome at this point.

What's stopping you?
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:56 am

pedro wrote:Off the top of my head, I have the following songs with "Jah" in the title:

"Forever Loving Jah" - Bob Marley and the Wailers
"I Love I Jah" - Bad Brains
"Blow Me Jah" - Meatmen

There maybe more. Probably. I'm not sure.

"Jah War" - The Ruts
"Jah Calling" - Bad Brains
JGJR

Postby version sound » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:09 am

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:Someone please post about something other than The Last, Descendents, or All. Even posts about Dag Nasty would be welcome at this point.

What's stopping you?

The fact that you and Greg are the only people actively replying to threads.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:22 am

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

What's stopping you?

The fact that you and Greg are the only people actively replying to threads.

HA! this is true. add running thread to the mix.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:40 am

The last time all of us were on here at the same time, the running joke was a Descendents thread.

(see what I did there?)
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby pedro » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:50 am

JGJR wrote:"Jah War" - The Ruts

Yup, I have those two. There is also the "Rally 'Round Jah Throne". Or is it "Jah Tree"? Bad Brains reggae is so utterly forgettable.

yourenotevil wrote:add running thread to the mix.

The idea that you have ever clicked on the running thread makes me smile. Thanks!

FTR, I stopped reading the Descendents thread before it got to page two. The fact that it is eight pages long just reinforces my belief that the Descendents are the most over-rated punk band of all time. At least here.

I have never clicked on the Last thread. Because I don't care about them at all.
Hello.
pedro

Postby version sound » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:01 pm

pedro wrote:FTR, I stopped reading the Descendents thread before it got to page two. The fact that it is eight pages long just reinforces my belief that the Descendents are the most over-rated punk band of all time. At least here.

This kind of no nonsense posting is exactly why you should come around more often.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:59 pm

pedro wrote:

Yup, I have those two. There is also the "Rally 'Round Jah Throne". Or is it "Jah Tree"? Bad Brains reggae is so utterly forgettable.

yourenotevil wrote:add running thread to the mix.

The idea that you have ever clicked on the running thread makes me smile. Thanks!

FTR, I stopped reading the Descendents thread before it got to page two. The fact that it is eight pages long just reinforces my belief that the Descendents are the most over-rated punk band of all time. At least here.

I have never clicked on the Last thread. Because I don't care about them at all.

I wish it was eight pages. It's only 5 so far.....so far.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:17 pm

pedro wrote:

I know the former and it's a Bad Brains tune, but don't know the latter and have never heard of it.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:18 pm

version sound wrote:
pedro wrote:FTR, I stopped reading the Descendents thread before it got to page two. The fact that it is eight pages long just reinforces my belief that the Descendents are the most over-rated punk band of all time. At least here.

This kind of no nonsense posting is exactly why you should come around more often.

This post just reinforces my belief that with respect to Descendents, pedro needs to question his beliefs.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:48 pm

i seem to be in the minority with bad brains fans, but i have always liked the BB reggae stuff.
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:21 pm

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:

This post just reinforces my belief that with respect to Descendents, pedro needs to question his beliefs.

The Descendents are both good and overrated. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:48 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:

i like the descendents, but i never went nuts about them. they have a pretty solid output, but the first record is easily their best. never got into ALL.
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:05 am

yourenotevil wrote:
version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:

i like the descendents, but i never went nuts about them. they have a pretty solid output, but the first record is easily their best. never got into ALL.

Save this for the Descendents/ALL thread, will ya?
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:33 am

yourenotevil wrote:i seem to be in the minority with bad brains fans, but i have always liked the BB reggae stuff.

I have, too, at least some of it but especially "I and I Survive" and also "Leaving Babylon."
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:35 am

version sound wrote:The Descendents are both good and overrated. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

True re: the lack of mutual exclusivity. I just think that regardless of their status on this board, they are one of the best bands of the '80s. I have thought this way for a long time, too, so it isn't peer pressure or anything (believe me).
JGJR

Postby version sound » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:39 am

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:The Descendents are both good and overrated. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

True re: the lack of mutual exclusivity. I just think that regardless of their status on this board, they are one of the best bands of the '80s. I have thought this way for a long time, too, so it isn't peer pressure or anything (believe me).

I don't doubt your sincerity. I think, as with most things, it's all a matter of timimg. If they hit you in a certain way in your teens or early 20s, you'll probably love them forever. For those of us who didn't have that experience, the level of obsession with them seems a bit out of proportion to their actual musical merit.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:52 am

I did my best to de-rail said thread by discussing my obsession with KISS sneakers, but I think it eventually righted (or wrong-ed) itself.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:02 am

scannest wrote:

I did my best to de-rail said thread by discussing my obsession with KISS sneakers, but I think it eventually righted (or wrong-ed) itself.

I know you're probably joking but what's the point of derailing a thread? Just start a new thread about something else.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:04 am

Also to clarify, that wasn't just towards you, scannest. There's certain threads about things I don't know/care about that I just don't bother clicking on...even if it gets to 100 pages. It was like that on the old board and it's like that for me now.
gregpolard

Postby jaybird » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:25 am

jaybird

Postby scannest » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:26 am

gregpolard wrote:
scannest wrote:

I know you're probably joking but what's the point of derailing a thread? Just start a new thread about something else.

Yes, I was making a joke, therefore you are asking a question for which there is no answer. I don't think "derailing a thread" is an actual thing. I made it up 12 minutes ago.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:27 am

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
scannest wrote:

Yes, I was making a joke, therefore you are asking a question for which there is no answer. I don't think "derailing a thread" is an actual thing. I made it up 12 minutes ago.

It is a real thing now! Trademark that shiz
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:06 am

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I don't doubt your sincerity. I think, as with most things, it's all a matter of timimg. If they hit you in a certain way in your teens or early 20s, you'll probably love them forever. For those of us who didn't have that experience, the level of obsession with them seems a bit out of proportion to their actual musical merit.

I first heard them when I was 16, so yeah that definitely has a lot to do with my love of the Descendents and to a lesser degree, ALL as well (particularly the first few records they did with Scott). In other words, you are correct. There are definitely some bands now considered classic or who are well-loved that I wasn't into back then and find difficult to get into now.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:08 am

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I first heard them when I was 16, so yeah that definitely has a lot to do with my love of the Descendents and to a lesser degree, ALL as well (particularly the first few records they did with Scott). In other words, you are correct. There are definitely some bands now considered classic or who are well-loved that I wasn't into back then and find difficult to get into now.

Nice VS, now we've got 2 Descendents/ALL threads going...
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:12 am

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Once you pop, you can't stop.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:14 am

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

You're welcome.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:17 am

JGJR wrote:
scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

You're welcome.

Thank you for posting the way you post. (see what I did there?)
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:27 am

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:
scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

You're welcome.

Actually, I don't (sorry)!
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:28 am

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:
scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

You're welcome.

Actually, I don't (sorry)!

Descendents. Thank you for playing the way you play.......
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:49 am

gregpolard wrote:Descendents. Thank you for playing the way you play.......

Ah d'oh! I need to give Cool to Be You another listen to refresh my memory. I forgot that was part of the chorus but just remebered the "I won't say your name, but you know who you are "part.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:51 am

JGJR wrote:

Ah d'oh! I need to give Cool to Be You another listen to refresh my memory. I forgot that was part of the chorus but just remebered the "I won't say your name, but you know who you are "part.

That won't do you any good, being as that song is on "Everything Sucks"......haha
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:03 am

In other news, first 3 Slowdive EPs >>>>>> Loveless
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:06 am

version sound wrote:In other news, first 3 Slowdive EPs >>>>>> Loveless

Save it for the Black Flag thread.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:06 pm

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

That won't do you any good, being as that song is on "Everything Sucks"......haha

I realized my mistake as soon as I hit "submit." For some reason, I always confuse the album that "Thank You" is on. I really like both ES and CTBY (though not as much as the '80s stuff), but to me they are both kind of interchangeable and have a similar sound/vibe except for more mature lyrics on CTBY.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:08 pm

JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:21 pm

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I realized my mistake as soon as I hit "submit." For some reason, I always confuse the album that "Thank You" is on. I really like both ES and CTBY (though not as much as the '80s stuff), but to me they are both kind of interchangeable and have a similar sound/vibe except for more mature lyrics on CTBY.

This board needs another Descendents thread....
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:37 pm

JGJR wrote:

They posted the same gif about MLK's fight for civil rights. I will speak truth as long as the ignorant thrive on this very ignorant board.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby obik » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:01 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:Image

They posted the same gif about MLK's fight for civil rights.

And look what happened to him.

Don't visit Memphis.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:12 pm

version sound wrote:[
They posted the same gif about MLK's fight for civil rights. I will speak truth as long as the ignorant thrive on this very ignorant board.

Because civil rights for all Americans (not just African-Americans; when MLK was gunned down, he was in Memphis to protest with striking sanitation workers, a fact conveniently overlooked by those who try to appropriate his legacy; same with his opposition to the Vietnam War, but we are getting way off-topic here) is the same thing as comparing a few shoegaze (yes I know neither really were; save it) records from the early '90s. :lol:

I mean, I'm all for Slowdive (and Mojave 3 and their solo work) getting their due (actually just did a feature piece on Honeychurch and they have a connection to Neil and Rachel), but c'mon now...
JGJR

Postby version sound » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:18 pm

You very clearly were not following that scene while it was happening and likely haven't listened to those EPs much, if at all. Hell, you haven't even spent much time with MBVs EPs. Just because the critics say Loveless was the apex of '90s guitar rock doesn't make it a fact. Get back to me when you want to base your opinions on actual listening, not just the accepted "wisdom" of music critics.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:26 pm

This argument again!? :bag:
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:42 pm

gregpolard wrote:This argument again!? :bag:

Yeah, I'm not taking the bait.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:25 pm

What, the "you haven't actually listened to the record you're passing judgement on" argument? It's an evergreen with some of you people who seem to base your opinions on what you've read rather than what you've heard.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:26 pm

version sound wrote:

What, the "you haven't actually listened to the record you're passing judgement on" argument? It's an evergreen with some of you people who seem to base your opinions on what you've read rather than what you've heard.

No. The MBV "Loveless" <<< everything else ever, argument. hah
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:39 pm

gregpolard wrote:
version sound wrote:

Loveless is a great record, but not the BEST record, so obviously plenty of things are better. That's just common sense.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:40 pm

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
version sound wrote:

Loveless is a great record, but not the BEST record, so obviously plenty of things are better. That's just common sense.

Well, yeah.
gregpolard

Return to daghouse