JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Re: JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:54 pm

scannest wrote:John Lisa would play that WHACK AND BLITE 7" for anyone who would listen and the response was often "This is the great...but that voice?! What the fuck is up with that voice?!" That continued with UNFUN - a general sense of how amazing this band would be if they had an actual singer. Of course, that wasn't everyone. But it seemed like a dividing line for those of use who gravitated towards the more melodic side of things and those who liked their punk/hardcore with more dirt under the nails.


That all makes sense except that I never really thought of Blake as a non-melodic singer. That's probably because I was listening to a ton of punk/hardcore of the "more dirt under the nails" variety back then as that was the music of my teen years and I loved the shit out of both Whack and Blite and Unfun (though I first heard them on the CD with both), but even then I loved a good hook/melody. Yes, his voice was really raspy pre-surgery, but I think part of their greatness early on is that exact divide they had between their punk/hardcore roots (you can see Blake wearing a Soulside shirt in early photos and I think Unfun is kinda DC-ish) and their pop ambitions and for lack of a better way or saying it, the new wave in them, too (shown by the Joan Jett, Pretenders and Psychedelic Furs covers later on). They weren't on one side or the other and it's one of the things that made them great IMO. I always appreciate individualistic bands who don't really fit in, but in Jawbreaker's case I am glad they're getting their due now both financially and otherwise.
yourenotevil wrote:we've been wasting a lot of time on here then!
User avatar
JGJR
 
Posts: 6505
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Postby JGJR » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:58 pm

You may be on to something, though. Perhaps his voice (even in its polished, post-surgery and post-Rob Cavallo produced state) is one reason why Dear You stiffed on release and they never broke through back then. I love the fact that they're more popular than anyone else at Riot Fest nowadays, though. It's proof that sometimes great art endures and is appreciated more later, etc.
yourenotevil wrote:we've been wasting a lot of time on here then!
User avatar
JGJR
 
Posts: 6505
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Postby BAIN » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:30 am

For the months leading up to Riot Fest I was thinking about two specific things outside of the excitement of seeing them again. How are they going to sound and how many people are there that actually like Jawbreaker? Both questions were answered with the past 3 shows. They sound amazing and a lot of people like them. More than I could ever imagine, especially with 50,000 people singing along.

I do catch the Richard Butler / PF resemblance, but I also feel there is a Wedding Present feel to it also.

Maybe I am wrong.

We know that the Replacements played a huge influence on them through interviews.

Either way, I dig them and I can't wait for the tour announcement. Going to do a 3 day run like it was 1994 again.
User avatar
BAIN
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:31 am

Re: JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Postby jaybird » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:05 am

Seems some people here forgot: Jawbreaker is not a punk band.

viewtopic.php?p=14063#p14063
User avatar
jaybird
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Postby BAIN » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:08 am

JGJR wrote:
scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:...I wouldn't call Blake's vocals unique for that reason. He's always sounded like Richard Butler to me.

Let me say this as politely as I can - get the fuck outta here. Blake's voice was polarizing when those first records came out. The difference between those who loved them and those who didn't frequently came down to your tolerance for his voice. It was their defining feature circa WHACK AND BLITE and UNFUN.


Let me say this as politely as I can. Please listen to this and let me know if you still don't think he sounds like Richard Butler.



Your point is interesting, however, as I've been a fan since Bivouac and I don't recall any of that sort of ambivalence about his voice like with say, Craig Wedren of Shudder to Think (a singer I also love but whose voice was very polarizing back then; don't believe me? Read one of Jim Testa's reviews of a Shudder show at Maxwell's from back then). They were VERY well loved in both the punk and eventually (from 24RT on) indie scenes, though of course there were some I knew who didn't care for them. It usually wasn't because of Blake's voice, though.

Plus, they covered "Into You Like a Train" during the Dear You sessions and stuck it on a bonus track on the CD reissue and Blake claimed that he'd been getting those comparisons from day one.


Relistening to this and I am hearing more what Mike Ness was trying to sound like for the self titled SD album.
User avatar
BAIN
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:31 am

Re: JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Postby drew » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:28 am

BAIN wrote:
JGJR wrote:
scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:...I wouldn't call Blake's vocals unique for that reason. He's always sounded like Richard Butler to me.

Let me say this as politely as I can - get the fuck outta here. Blake's voice was polarizing when those first records came out. The difference between those who loved them and those who didn't frequently came down to your tolerance for his voice. It was their defining feature circa WHACK AND BLITE and UNFUN.


Let me say this as politely as I can. Please listen to this and let me know if you still don't think he sounds like Richard Butler.



Your point is interesting, however, as I've been a fan since Bivouac and I don't recall any of that sort of ambivalence about his voice like with say, Craig Wedren of Shudder to Think (a singer I also love but whose voice was very polarizing back then; don't believe me? Read one of Jim Testa's reviews of a Shudder show at Maxwell's from back then). They were VERY well loved in both the punk and eventually (from 24RT on) indie scenes, though of course there were some I knew who didn't care for them. It usually wasn't because of Blake's voice, though.

Plus, they covered "Into You Like a Train" during the Dear You sessions and stuck it on a bonus track on the CD reissue and Blake claimed that he'd been getting those comparisons from day one.


Relistening to this and I am hearing more what Mike Ness was trying to sound like for the self titled SD album.




It’s interesting you say that, I recall before “24 Hour Revenge Therapy” came out there was word that it sounded like “Bad Social Distortion” from more than one person I spoke to. Of course I didn’t think that once I heard it.
drew
 
Posts: 840
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:54 am

drew wrote:It’s interesting you say that, I recall before “24 Hour Revenge Therapy” came out there was word that it sounded like “Bad Social Distortion” from more than one person I spoke to. Of course I didn’t think that once I heard it.


I love that s/t Social Distortion album, so all that purist nonsense wouldn't have mattered to me anyhow, even back then. But it's besides the point as Albini's production ensured that 24 Hour Revenge Therapy would never sound like anything that the guy (Dave Jerden, if memory serves) who produced that SD album, Jane's Addiction's Nothing's Shocking and Ritual de lo Habitual and Alice in Chains' Dirt would ever record. I still prefer the production on their 1st 2 album and these days Dear You sounds better to me sonically, too, but the songs on 24HRT are so great that it doesn't really matter. I did always think that Albini's production was weird, though.
yourenotevil wrote:we've been wasting a lot of time on here then!
User avatar
JGJR
 
Posts: 6505
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Postby SamDBL » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:54 am

Well, anyway, I think we can all agree that Jawbreaker's vocals don't qualify as unique because there is one other vocalist in the world in a band from a different genre that may, by one or so person's estimation, sound sort of similar. :roll: :roll: :roll:
SamDBL
 
Posts: 538
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Postby the mean » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:36 pm

jaybird wrote:Seems some people here forgot: Jawbreaker is not a punk band.

http://daghouse.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=14063#p14063

Boy, that was as dumb discussion.
User avatar
the mean
 
Posts: 732
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:36 pm

SamDBL wrote:Well, anyway, I think we can all agree that Jawbreaker's vocals don't qualify as unique because there is one other vocalist in the world in a band from a different genre that may, by one or so person's estimation, sound sort of similar. :roll: :roll: :roll:


If you really want to get technical, every singer's voice is unique as we're all unique, et al.

Ultimately, though, I have to say that this is much ado about nothing. The fact that their music endures 25 years later is the real point here.
yourenotevil wrote:we've been wasting a lot of time on here then!
User avatar
JGJR
 
Posts: 6505
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:36 pm

the mean wrote:
jaybird wrote:Seems some people here forgot: Jawbreaker is not a punk band.

viewtopic.php?p=14063#p14063

Boy, that was as dumb discussion.


This.
yourenotevil wrote:we've been wasting a lot of time on here then!
User avatar
JGJR
 
Posts: 6505
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Postby SamDBL » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:55 pm

JGJR wrote:
SamDBL wrote:Well, anyway, I think we can all agree that Jawbreaker's vocals don't qualify as unique because there is one other vocalist in the world in a band from a different genre that may, by one or so person's estimation, sound sort of similar. :roll: :roll: :roll:


If you really want to get technical, every singer's voice is unique as we're all unique, et al.



Image
SamDBL
 
Posts: 538
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Postby unitedblood » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:21 am

FlexMyHead wrote:Glad to hear they sounded good and went over well. Haven't had time to watch the clips but I take that to mean they weren't just going through the motions?


I only saw them once in the 90's and it was on the Dear You tour, but I did happen to catch the SF warmup show in August. I can say that that they're not just going through the motions. They're doing the damned thing.

Also, I had some friends that were at the LA movie and Q&A last night. They said, right out the gate, the first question was "are you a band again", which was answered as a yes.
unitedblood
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:14 pm

Re: JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Postby BAIN » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:37 am

2018 tour is the rumor
User avatar
BAIN
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:31 am

Re: JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Postby unitedblood » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:27 pm

Dinko wrote:Okay. Cool. What about Engine 88?


Later this month, apparently.
https://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/event/1567813
unitedblood
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:14 pm

Previous

Return to daghouse

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron