JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Postby BAIN » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:59 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekvzvUbp-tI

East Bay, first show in 21 years.
User avatar
BAIN
 
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:31 am

Re: JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Postby captain2man » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:15 am

BAIN wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekvzvUbp-tI

East Bay, first show in 21 years.


Even through the crappy microphone of a cell phone, you can tell that they're well rehearsed and playing and singing great. It's a lot of pressure on a band who's been away for like 20 years and with such a legacy to live up to.

You can tell it's pure joy. I know Adam & Chris have been wanting to do this for years and I can only imagine how they were feeling as they were seconds away from playing that first note.

I feel like I'm living vicariously through the guy in the front with the beard.

Not sure if this is something they're going to do, or only play a couple of big fests, cash in, and get out....I hope it's lucrative and fun.....I'd love to see them play one more time.
User avatar
captain2man
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:08 pm

Re: JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Postby scannest » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:09 pm

Blake read Keats' poem "Ode to a Grecian Urn" before they started because OF COURSE HE DID.

Dude cracks me up.
"Maybe if Lewdd posts pics of barbecued salmon, you can post pictures of sushi?" -Jimmy Heartburn
User avatar
scannest
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:22 pm

scannest wrote:Blake read Keats' poem "Ode to a Grecian Urn" before they started because OF COURSE HE DID.

Dude cracks me up.


Dude's an English professor at Hunter or was (not sure if he still is given the interview I read about why the reunion is happening), so it's kinda appropriate, I think.

Anyway, "Condition Oakland" from the show is up, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GStQBD98Rro&t=11s
yourenotevil wrote:we've been wasting a lot of time on here then!
User avatar
JGJR
 
Posts: 6418
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Postby Chris Shary » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:21 pm

The guy in the front with the beard had a really great time.
He didn't know Jawbreaker were going to play.
He was there to see Monsula.
He really likes Monsula, Jawbreaker too.
Chris Shary
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:36 am

Re: JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Postby scannest » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:26 am

JGJR wrote:Dude's an English professor at Hunter or was (not sure if he still is given the interview I read about why the reunion is happening), so it's kinda appropriate, I think.


And the drummer for my band (IN CROWD) has a PhD in Media Ecology. Doesn't mean it would be appropriate for him to recite Marshall McLuhan before we played "Geeks at the Mall."
"Maybe if Lewdd posts pics of barbecued salmon, you can post pictures of sushi?" -Jimmy Heartburn
User avatar
scannest
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Postby FlexMyHead » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:18 pm

scannest wrote:Blake read Keats' poem "Ode to a Grecian Urn" before they started because OF COURSE HE DID.

Dude cracks me up.


DISCLAIMER: I curated a handwritten and then digital gigography of shows that Jawbreaker played, with setlists, flyers, audio/video, reviews, photos etc. So take everything I say with a grain of salt.

I just thought it was a very Jawbreaker thing to do. When they were a band they were known for playing 5-6 new songs that nobody had heard and/or not playing "Busy", both of which irritated people there to see them. How great then, before playing live in 21 years, to quote a poem from 1819 about two scenes from an urn, which has a line about (I'm paraphrasing here) "sounds that are unheard seem sweeter than those that are heard". I think, given the 21 years, that was a pretty clever tie in. I dunno though. I'd rather hear a poem than "This first song is called Victim in Pain and it's from our record called Victim in Pain, 1-2-3-4 GO!".

I was glad to hear that Jawbreaker was going to play the Chicago rock-show and was looking forward to seeing the youtube clips and I'm glad to have gotten clips from another show.

I guess Monsula's backstage conversation was like "Oh great, Jawbreaker wants to open for us? I'm sure we won't have a tough act to follow".

Speaking of Monsula, I heard that when Lance Hahn (RIP) joined them on 2nd guitar they recorded an entire second album that they totally scrapped. Anybody actually hear this demo/record? I still listen to 4-5 songs from Sanitized.
FlexMyHead
 
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:11 pm

Re: JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Postby scannest » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:28 pm

There was no hostility behind my "dude cracks me up" comment. I meant it pretty sincerely - reading a Keats poem before you play is kinda funny, right? Maybe 'ballsy" is a better word. Either way, I would have giggled a little.
"Maybe if Lewdd posts pics of barbecued salmon, you can post pictures of sushi?" -Jimmy Heartburn
User avatar
scannest
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Postby FlexMyHead » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:36 pm

Well, after watching clips of some of Blake's past solo shows, I was just glad to see him in good spirits and playing out. In those videos he seemed a little off and would (haphazardly) play songs from his back catalog and then random stuff, like him covering that Third Eye Blind song for example. Also, he is totally morphing into Walter Matthau...which is so odd since they used a photo of him on their earlier 7".

Image
Image
FlexMyHead
 
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:11 pm

Re: JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Postby the mean » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:03 pm

captain2man wrote:I feel like I'm living vicariously through the guy in the front with the beard.

Chris Shary wrote:The guy in the front with the beard had a really great time.

LOL

FlexMyHead wrote:Speaking of Monsula, I heard that when Lance Hahn (RIP) joined them on 2nd guitar they recorded an entire second album that they totally scrapped.

It's true that there is a (third, not second) LP that was recorded and never released. I'm not sure who all played guitar on it though. Chuck was gone, and both Lance and Jason White played guitar, sometimes apart and sometimes together. I can't see a Monsula album being released without Chuck, though.
User avatar
the mean
 
Posts: 702
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:54 pm

Re: JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:59 pm

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:Dude's an English professor at Hunter or was (not sure if he still is given the interview I read about why the reunion is happening), so it's kinda appropriate, I think.


And the drummer for my band (IN CROWD) has a PhD in Media Ecology. Doesn't mean it would be appropriate for him to recite Marshall McLuhan before we played "Geeks at the Mall."


No, but it would be funny!
yourenotevil wrote:we've been wasting a lot of time on here then!
User avatar
JGJR
 
Posts: 6418
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: JAWBREAKER played last night!!!

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:00 pm

scannest wrote:There was no hostility behind my "dude cracks me up" comment. I meant it pretty sincerely - reading a Keats poem before you play is kinda funny, right? Maybe 'ballsy" is a better word. Either way, I would have giggled a little.


Ditto (no hostility behind my reply; just surmising why he did it) and ditto re: I would've giggled, too.
yourenotevil wrote:we've been wasting a lot of time on here then!
User avatar
JGJR
 
Posts: 6418
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA


Return to daghouse

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests

cron