can we talk about the JAWBREAKER reunion???

can we talk about the JAWBREAKER reunion???

Postby BAIN » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:42 am

how good or how bad is this going to be?

any insight on what sort of payday it took to make this happen?

been a fan since 92

was lucky enough to catch them 3 nights in a row in 94

saw Jets, saw Thorns, saw Forgetters, but also saw Blake solo (which was frightening)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-_izfqFtXg

I want this to be amazing
BAIN

Re: can we talk about the JAWBREAKER reunion???

Postby SamDBL » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:01 am

BAIN wrote:how good or how bad is this going to be?

been a fan since 92

saw Jets, saw Thorns, saw Forgetters, but also saw Blake solo (which was frightening)

I called it eons ago. When I kept seeing whatever project the singer was doing listed towards the bottom of these fest bills, it only made sense that he'd eventually get tired of that, and relent to the constant offers he had to have been getting this whole time. I was never a huge fan. But they weren't terrible, either. Good for them. That fest is seriously stacked this year. I'm seeing giant, headlining status bands pushed down towards the smaller writing just because there are so many of them playing it this year. Crazy. I think my only concern with them is that didn't the dude have some operation on his voice that possibly changed it? His gravelly tone was a big part of the bands sound. Hopefully he doesn't do the smooth crooner thing like he did in some of his following bands.

My other prediction is that Fugazi will do something. They have probably been offered untold millions by the likes of Riotfest and Coachella. They will either bite on one of those, and donate all the proceeds to some charity. Or, more likely, ignore them all and do their own thing. I just see it happening. My only hope is that it's not something super predictable like 'Trump stuff brought us back'. Anyway, I'd much rather hear a new Fugazi record than Jawbreaker.
SamDBL

Postby the mean » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:30 am

SamDBL wrote:I think my only concern with them is that didn't the dude have some operation on his voice that possibly changed it? His gravelly tone was a big part of the bands sound. Hopefully he doesn't do the smooth crooner thing like he did in some of his following bands.

Yes, but it was between Jawbreaker albums 2 and 3. "24 Hour" and "Dear You" were both post-throat surgery. The song "Kiss The Bottle" (their best song) was the last thing they recorded prior to the surgery.
the mean

Postby scannest » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:58 am

I heard that Ian and Joe have been making music together again since Lally moved back from Italy, but for the life of me I can't remember where I got that from.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby version sound » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:50 pm

scannest wrote:I heard that Ian and Joe have been making music together again since Lally moved back from Italy, but for the life of me I can't remember where I got that from.

Fugazi or not, it would be nice to hear Ian in a band with guitar and bass again. I really dislike this trend of 2 person bands.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:29 pm

I've kept in touch with Adam though the years. I asked him about a year ago whether he thought it would ever happen. He told me "one of these days we'll get it together", so I knew it was a possibility.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby FlexMyHead » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:05 am

Well, I'd be interested in hearing how they approach/play the songs now. I was one of the "furious people that thought they sold out", but still supported them and saw them several times after Dear You was released. Even though I'm much older and wiser, if this is their only show, I'd rather they had played The Fest in Florida or something less corporate-looking than the Riot Fest (this is a massive assumption based on the flyer I saw, this could be a very positive and organic type festival, looked like a big deal rock show type thing). Anybody here/know if this is a one-off show? Will it depend on how Blake reacts?

This also reminded me of my Asperger's-ish attempt at documenting every show they played started back when I Asperger-ishly traded live audio/video of bands.

http://www.flexmyhead.com/jawshows.html

I haven't even looked at it in 2 years and I've posted it before but...

Yo, John Lisa, you got any memories to share about the 03-26-94 show at ABC that Sleeper opened for them? or the 10-25-95 that Serpico opened? or the 04-06-96, or 04-09-96 shows? Damn, you opened for them almost as many times as I saw them, haha.
FlexMyHead

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:34 am

FlexMyHead wrote:Yo, John Lisa, you got any memories to share about the 03-26-94 show at ABC that Sleeper opened for them? or the 10-25-95 that Serpico opened? or the 04-06-96, or 04-09-96 shows? Damn, you opened for them almost as many times as I saw them, haha.

Jawbreaker treated Serpico very awesomely. Anytime they played NY, Adam always put us on a show. A few times they took out on mini trips with Jawbox too.

We played Maxwell's in Hoboken with them too. I liked it better when there were only 3 bands on the gig. When there were more, I didn't have a lot of fun because i knew everyone just wanted to see Jawbreaker and it was probably tedious having to wait through us. We tried to keep it short. I know the feeling with cult status bands in which Jawbreaker is one of. Bands that I am fanatical about (ie: Marillion) I don't want to sit through an opener.

So I think that the best part of playing a lot with Jawbreaker was seeing their set and being able to spend quality time with Adam, who is the nicest, most genuinely wonderful guy you'd ever want to meet. Even on the road they had a modest stripped down stage and van. They had $$$ from Geffen, but they lived a lifestyle closer to Fugazi. Either way, I fully endorse this re-union. Younger folk never got to see them and hope they make a lot of money. Sorry if this is un-punk.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby the mean » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:22 pm

Hey flexyourhead, here are some more shows for your list.

I booked these:
07.24.92 Jawbreaker / Fifteen / Engage / Tinfed / Sharon Tate, The Den, Sacramento, CA
03.27.93 Jawbreaker / Platypus Scourge / Nar / Playground / Pivot, Guild Theater, Sacramento, CA

I booked this one as well, which is on your list, but I've got a little bit more info to add:
12.07.91 Jawbreaker / Platypus Scourge / Gün / Insurgent / Blindside, Guild Coffeehouse, Sacramento, CA

I caught a bunch of shows that were on your list, but here are some that weren't:
08.17.91 Jawbreaker / Econochrist / Insurgent / Spitboy / Paxton Quiggly / Grimple, Teen Center, Davis, CA
08.23.91 Jawbreaker / Engage / Brain Tourniquet / Heroin / Spitboy / Nailed, Phoenix Theater, Petaluma, CA
10.04.91 Jawbreaker / Subvert / Cringer / Monsula / Spitboy, Gilman, Berkeley, CA
01.11.92 Jawbreaker / Mr. T Experience / Nuisance / Spitboy / One Man Running, Phoenix Theater, Petaluma, CA
06.25.92 Jawbreaker / Hedgehog / Schlong / Fifteen, Phoenix Theater, Petaluma, CA
01.16.94 Jawbreaker / Floodgate / Boyd / Julia / The Yah Mos, Pitzer College, Pomona, CA (you have this one, but here is more info)
06.23.95 Jawbreaker / Fluf / Chinchilla, Guild Theater, Sacramento, CA

I not sure this show happened:
09-14-91 Davis, CA - Teen Center (w/ Green Day, Cringer, Murder Girls, Sharon Tate)

After the 1.16.94 show we (The Yah Mos and I) went back to our friend Mark Rogers' (RIP) apartment in Conoga Park. We got to sleep at about 3:00am and soon after the Northridge Earthquake hit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Nort ... earthquake
It was a 6.7, and we were 5 miles from the epicenter. It was a crazy night.
the mean

Postby BAIN » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:58 am

FlexMyHead wrote:Yo, John Lisa, you got any memories to share about the 03-26-94 show at ABC that Sleeper opened for them? or the 10-25-95 that Serpico opened? or the 04-06-96, or 04-09-96 shows? Damn, you opened for them almost as many times as I saw them, haha.

I will not lie and say I remember much of anything outside of the Jawbreaker sets from the 2 night run we did in March of 94

The Grand > ABC

At the Grand I remember seeing Versus (very mellow and bouncy) and the Bouncing Souls somehow sneaking on the bill like they did a lot back then.

ABC, I remember watching Conniption, Timmy and being blown away by Halfman, I have to apologize that I don't remember much about the Sleeper set as we were trying to maneuver through the crowd downstairs to lock in a spot. Ended up behind the 2x4s in the gear spot and was perfect for JBs set.

Either way here is the flyer from ABC

https://imgur.com/a/pcEHo
BAIN

Postby Gary » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:56 pm

No hate,but I'm content with having seen them in Ireland four times (across two euro tours)

I'm generally not a fan of fests.
Gary

Postby scannest » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:55 am

Huh, for a band I never cared all that much about I saw them quite a bit back in the day thanks to the JL connection.
FYI - Serpico was also on the bill with Jawbox/Jawbreaker on 10/26/95 and 10/27/95.
I have a not fond memory of Serpico being greeted by utter indifference when they opened up for them at Maxwell's. I couldn't get how a sold out crowd of Jawbreaker fans couldn't find anything to dig about Serpico. I was...miffed.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:25 pm

BAIN wrote:
Either way here is the flyer from ABC

https://imgur.com/a/pcEHo

I was at the Drop Dead show on 3/25/94. Of course, I wish I'd gone to see Jawbreaker the next night, but the only time I ever saw them was at Irving Plaza the next year right after Dear You came out.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Marc M » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:16 pm

been a fan since 92

Making the trip from TX to Chicago for this. Saw them 3X the first time around (Spanky's in Riverside, Jabberjaw in LA, and Hollywood Palladium, I think opening for Foo Fighters?).

I have no actual info on their payday for this, but I'd guess high six figures, or even low seven figures.
Marc M

Postby the mean » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:11 pm

the mean

Postby JGJR » Tue May 02, 2017 12:44 pm

Marc M wrote:

been a fan since 92

Making the trip from TX to Chicago for this. Saw them 3X the first time around (Spanky's in Riverside, Jabberjaw in LA, and Hollywood Palladium, I think opening for Foo Fighters?).

I have no actual info on their payday for this, but I'd guess high six figures, or even low seven figures.

The latter is what someone told me, though I can't vouch for its accuracy.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby the mean » Tue May 02, 2017 4:54 pm

Good lord. A million dollars for Jawbreaker to play a show?
the mean

Postby FlexMyHead » Fri May 05, 2017 8:44 am

the mean wrote:Good lord. A million dollars for Jawbreaker to play a show?

Well, Blake and Adam were happy with the steady fuck promise but Chris wanted $$$. Never trust a dude in a kilt.

Thanks for the additions and comments, I'm gonna add them to that gigography that nobody cares about but me! If I had a Facebook I'd link it to them and see if they even care?
FlexMyHead

Postby drew » Mon May 08, 2017 6:02 pm

We got tix, hotel & flights for Riot Fest. My wife(of just over one week) wanted to go to Chicago for a long weekend.....This works for me.....

Who's going? Will Lewdd be there? Mark T.? edog?
Any info about Douglaston Park & the show itself would be appreciated with beer.
drew

Postby matt » Mon May 15, 2017 7:50 am

drew wrote:We got tix, hotel & flights for Riot Fest. My wife(of just over one week) wanted to go to Chicago for a long weekend.....This works for me.....

Any info about Douglaston Park & the show itself would be appreciated with beer.

I'll be there! Stoked to see you and meet the wife!
matt
Site Admin

Postby the mean » Mon May 15, 2017 7:54 am

Mrs. Mean was talking last night about wanting to go to this. I'm not a huge fan of these sorts of fests, but we'll be there if we can find someone to watch the kids.
the mean

Postby FlexMyHead » Mon May 15, 2017 10:06 am

Although I am a huge fan of the band, I think I'm ok with checking out the numerous youtube clips that are bound to be posted after they play. I emailed Var (from No Idea records) and asked him why he couldn't get Jawbreaker to play The Fest in Florida and he said (1) He doesn't run fest, Tony does, so why am I asking him (2) corporate sponsors that Riot Fest has creates a huge pot of money. Again, I have zero issue with Jawbreaker gettin' paid, Adam has kept the records in print/re-issued them, made himself available for various Jawbreaker meet-n-greets and talking things, seems like he has put a lot of work into the band in the past few years. Curious if this truly will be a "one and done" thing.
FlexMyHead

Postby WrEtcH » Tue May 30, 2017 1:12 pm

Fan of Jawbreaker since Bivouac. Live in SF. Seen them many times performing and on the streets. Seen Jets and the Forgetters as well. When I heard they were doing a documentary, I felt a reunion was coming. Not surprised when Riot Fest was announced. Happy it was Riot Fest instead of Coachella since Riot Fest is more geared towards a punk audience. I can't get really excited because of no SF gig and it's difficult for me to make a Riot Fest. I am happy for them tho.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby BAIN » Wed May 31, 2017 8:56 am

anyone know when or if they are going to sell day passes?
BAIN

Postby Dinko » Wed May 31, 2017 9:31 am

The best thing about the Jawbreaker reunion (to me) is that Engine 88 are coming out of hibernation as well. And let me add: Blake's lyrics, though good, don't hold a candle to the lyrical genius that is Tom Barnes.
The law of average says you will survive.
Dinko

Postby drew » Wed May 31, 2017 10:21 am

matt wrote:
drew wrote:We got tix, hotel & flights for Riot Fest. My wife(of just over one week) wanted to go to Chicago for a long weekend.....This works for me.....

I'll be there! Stoked to see you and meet the wife!

Very cool, Matt! We'll find some good tacos in the city of "hot beef" sandwiches
drew

Postby matt » Wed May 31, 2017 10:37 am

drew wrote:Very cool, Matt! We'll find some good tacos in the city of "hot beef" sandwiches

Yes!!! Where are you guys staying?
matt
Site Admin

Postby drew » Wed May 31, 2017 1:42 pm

matt wrote:
drew wrote:Very cool, Matt! We'll find some good tacos in the city of "hot beef" sandwiches

Yes!!! Where are you guys staying?

We're at The Hard Rock.
drew

Postby WrEtcH » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:10 pm

Man thi was such a great read this morning

http://pitchfork.com/features/article/1 ... l_facebook

Again I was working in the Mission and going to gig while all of this was happening
^v^
WrEtcH

Return to daghouse