Bill O'Reilly kicked off of Fox

Bill O'Reilly kicked off of Fox

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:19 pm

I want to be sad, but I'm much too glad.

Yeah, he'll get a huge payout, but I can deal with his being taken down a peg. Or 2....or 5.
xxxMidgexxx

Re: Bill O'Reilly kicked off of Fox

Postby SamDBL » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:41 am

I'm too lazy to look this up. But has anything been proven or has he lost any actual cases? Or is this all based on a multitude of accusations?
SamDBL

Postby the mean » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:33 am

This is all based on the fact that Fox paid out $13 million (at least) to accusers, and his show was bleeding advertising dollars.

Fox doesn't give a shit one way or another if women are being harassed.
the mean

Postby SamDBL » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:39 am

Totally agree as to that being the reason he's being kicked to the curb. Public opinion has turned. And with it, his advertisers and ability to continue making the money for them possibly waning is the reason he's out.

But besides the litany of reasons people may have for disliking this dude, I have a problem with people being ruined on the basis of accusations. At least, in principle. I mean, it seems like almost every successful person has to eventually face a multitude of these sorts of accusations for as long as they can withstand them. It seems like a fairly easy way to either make someone in the public eye pay up, or disappear. I'm not saying these women are lying. But I have no idea who they are, etc. I think it's for a court to decide with actual facts in front of them. And no, I don't consider paying a settlement to get someone to shut up to be the same as an admission of guilt. In fact, I think it's equally suspicious that an accuser would accept a settlement with a gag clause. And I do remember thinking the same thing when Bill Clinton got (and still gets) all these accusations of rape and lechery.
SamDBL

Postby the mean » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:49 am

Under that theory, anyone who just pays out prior to a court judgment gets a pass. I'm not willing to go there.

The number of accusers crossed with the culture of sexual harassment at Fox News (see Roger Ailes) crossed with O'Reilly's personality doesn't make this one hard to believe.

In the end, O'Reilly doesn't care if you or me think he was a serial sexual harasser. He's also not "ruined". I'm sure he'll get a payout on his way out the door. Ailes got $60 million, even after Fox's non-O'Reilly/Hannity top talent backed up his accusers.
the mean

Postby SamDBL » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:18 pm

the mean wrote:Under that theory, anyone who just pays out prior to a court judgment gets a pass. I'm not willing to go there.

That's not the logic, at all. A settlement means nothing, one way or the other. I'm tired of seeing it trotted out as proof of guilt, is all. If anything, it makes the accused's claim look flimsier, to me. You want to out this person? You want their career to be ruined? You want to get the word out so that this doesn't happen to others? So why take a paycheck and a contract that says you can't mention it? I'm just saying a settlement could mean a lot of things other than guilt of anyone. It has no weight in that regard.

the mean wrote:The number of accusers crossed with the culture of sexual harassment at Fox News (see Roger Ailes) crossed with O'Reilly's personality doesn't make this one hard to believe.

Number of accusers, imo, means nothing. It costs absolutely nothing to accuse someone of something. Barely any effort at all. I'm surprised there aren't hundreds of accusers when it comes to every single high profile, financially well off person there is out there. Hell, it might actually even amount to that, on average. Also, 'culture' of your work place is not sturdy evidence. And I don't know Bill O'Reilly, so I can't comment on his personality. This is all shit that would never stand up to any actual argument. Not much more than a bunch of 'hunches' from people with predetermined agendas. Meaningless to critical analysis. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. None of this stuff makes any impact on the argument. And that's what I was asking; Is there actually anything solid under all of these 'LOL BILL O'REILLY IS A GOD DAMN RAPIST' memes/comments/etc that I'm seeing. I guess there isn't.

the mean wrote:In the end, O'Reilly doesn't care if you or me think he was a serial sexual harasser. He's also not "ruined". I'm sure he'll get a payout on his way out the door. Ailes got $60 million, even after Fox's non-O'Reilly/Hannity top talent backed up his accusers.
[/quote]

Yeah, I don't really feel sorry for the guy. His career is certainly going to take a hit from this. But I don't care one way or the other. I just hate how much 'accusations' hold water with people when they dislike the person they are being charged against. The most glaring example is Bill Clinton. Everyone continually jumps on these band wagons will make endless excuses for that guy. But the list is pretty endless on both sides. I think sexual harassment and worse is pretty terrible. I hate how it's kind of a (negative) publicity tool, now. Seems pretty gross.
SamDBL

Postby earthdog70 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:00 pm

"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:24 pm

I'm not buying his whole defense, "I only paid out damages to save face for my children".

If he wasn't guilty, he should not have agreed to giving out a dime.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby FlexMyHead » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:07 am

Bill O'Reilly once tried to get me to give him a hand-job. I can't remember if I did or not, but I think I might have.
FlexMyHead

Return to daghouse