E-book readers

E-book readers

Postby soulforce » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:17 am

Hey, I'm planning to buy an e-book reader and I'm asking for some advice. Could you recommend a brand or a model you have positive experience with? I'm stuck between Nook, PocketBook and Kindle.
soulforce

Re: E-book readers

Postby version sound » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:55 am

Do you have an iPad/Phone? I've heard they work really well as eReaders. If not, Kindles and Nooks seem to work well as eReaders and tablets.

Edit: Something to consider - I don't know how healthy B&N is business-wise. If they go out like Borders, that might be the end of Nook support.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby soulforce » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:25 am

Nope, I prefer Android devices. :) Anyway, I just ran out to the nearest store and bought a PocketBook Mini. It's relatively cheap and it is compatible/works with most of the e-book formats so it'll do for me. Is Bukowski a fine read? :D
soulforce

Postby matt » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:03 am

I have a Google Nexus 10, and I love it. Since it's Android, I can hack on it and get it to do what I need it to do. I use Moon+ Reader for ebooks, along with Dropbox so that I can get ebook files from the internet and access them from my tablet. It's pretty big, but since I don't normally take it out of the house, I don't mind. I'm probably going to get my son a Nexus 7 for Christmas and I would def get that model if I carried it around with me all the time.

I opted for a full-blown tablet over a souped-up e-reader, because I didn't want to be locked in to whatever functions were bundled with the device.
matt
Site Admin

Postby patient_ot » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:56 pm

I use a Nexus 7 (first gen) with the kindle app. I've also got some other reading apps on it, but I tend to stick to the kindle one.

Even with a anti-glare film on the screen, it's still easier on the eyes to use a dedicated black&white e-ink screen type e-reader. The tablet is nice for doing things like news apps, web browsing, watching videos, and listening to podcasts. I don't use it for music because I've got my phone, and two music players that work better for that.

For anyone that reads a lot, make sure you check out the Project Gutenberg site. There are a ton of free public domain e-books on there.
patient_ot

Postby mommagriz » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:34 pm

I have a Kindle Fire. The first one, not the HD one. I like it. I have tons of books on it and a few games. It works well for me (I mainly use it when my son is hogging the computer). My son has a regular Kindle, a neighbor gave it to him in an effort to get him to read more. It doesn't have a lighted screen so he can't read it under the covers in bed unless he uses a light. Kindle has amazing support (the few times I've had to call them) and I recommend the Fire. The newer ones have a bigger screen, and a camera. Mine does not have those. If you get one, get a cover for it. I got mine off of eBay. Hope this helps.
Oh punk rock, it's like you never left rock'n'roll high school.
mommagriz

Postby JGJR » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:05 am

mommagriz wrote:I have a Kindle Fire. The first one, not the HD one. I like it. I have tons of books on it and a few games. It works well for me (I mainly use it when my son is hogging the computer). My son has a regular Kindle, a neighbor gave it to him in an effort to get him to read more. It doesn't have a lighted screen so he can't read it under the covers in bed unless he uses a light. Kindle has amazing support (the few times I've had to call them) and I recommend the Fire. The newer ones have a bigger screen, and a camera. Mine does not have those. If you get one, get a cover for it. I got mine off of eBay. Hope this helps.

We have one of these, too. We both used it before, but since I have an iPhone now, my wife uses it much more than I do so it's really hers. Still, I have downloaded a book on there (still mostly like to read physical books) and I think that function is great. It's pretty good for internet use, though not as easy and intuitive to use as an iPhone. We've never used the support feature, though.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:06 am

fuck e readers, real books till i die.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Return to daghouse