RIP - Doug Evans (Didjits)

RIP - Doug Evans (Didjits)

Postby captain2man » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:25 pm

I figured there are at least a few Didjits fans among you.

Sad to report that their bassist, Doug Evans, has passed away.
captain2man

Re: RIP - Doug Evans (Didjits)

Postby earthdog70 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:32 pm

Sad to hear. I was not a huge fan, but they were great at the T&G Festival.
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby Markonomicon » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:22 pm

Didn't know about this. Fuck.

Just found the Didjits' 'Go-T' demo a few months back on Soulseek. Had been looking for it for years.
Markonomicon

Postby captain2man » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:20 pm

Markonomicon wrote:Didn't know about this. Fuck.

Just found the Didjits' 'Go-T' demo a few months back on Soulseek. Had been looking for it for years.

Yeah - it's been a few years now. His girlfriend that past few years of his life is a good friend and ex-bandmate of mine. She still grieves heavily but is doing OK.

I got to meet him a couple of times - and he was always super cool.

The last band he was in was with his girlfriend, Merilee (a/k/a Bun E. Bread) called Blower. They were based out of Austin, TX. The band broke-up and they moved to Joshua Tree. Merilee went on vacation for a weekend and came home and found him dead. Terrible story - but she does seem to be doing OK these days.

https://blower.bandcamp.com/
captain2man

Postby Markonomicon » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:23 pm

captain2man wrote:

Yeah - it's been a few years now. His girlfriend that past few years of his life is a good friend and ex-bandmate of mine. She still grieves heavily but is doing OK.

The last band he was in was with his girlfriend, Merilee (a/k/a Bun E. Bread) called Blower. They were based out of Austin, TX. The band broke-up and they moved to Joshua Tree. Merilee went on vacation for a weekend and came home and found him dead. Terrible story - but she does seem to be doing OK these days.

I'll check 'em out. Thanks!

That is absolutely terrible what happened.
Markonomicon

Postby JGJR » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:25 pm

captain2man wrote:

Is that Merille Kutchen (sp?) who used to write for the Aquarian/EC Rocker in the mid to late '90s??? In any case, so sorry to hear about this and for her loss. That's awful.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby captain2man » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:29 pm

JGJR wrote:Is that Merille Kutchen (sp?) who used to write for the Aquarian/EC Rocker in the mid to late '90s??? In any case, so sorry to hear about this and for her loss. That's awful.

I think her last name is spelled "Kuchon"....and yes it is.

After that she worked for High Times for awhile.

She met Doug when the Didjits did a reunion show in Chicago....I think it was part of some larger fest (maybe something Touch & Go related?) - and it was like a love at first sight kind of thing. I've known Merilee since about '95 (we played in a band that you've never heard of before called Snowball - we played one show at Coney Island High - not memorable)....and met most of her boyfriends during that time - but when she met Doug - it was different. Totally head over heels.

She moved to Austin - they started that band Blower - recorded with Albini. Two Man Advantage played a show with them in Brooklyn....and then we played with them again down in Austin. They ended up moving to Joshua Tree and started a catering business - which I believe Merilee is still doing.
captain2man

Postby JGJR » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:35 pm

captain2man wrote:
JGJR wrote:Is that Merille Kutchen (sp?) who used to write for the Aquarian/EC Rocker in the mid to late '90s??? In any case, so sorry to hear about this and for her loss. That's awful.

I think her last name is spelled "Kuchon"....and yes it is.

After that she worked for High Times for awhile.

She met Doug when the Didjits did a reunion show in Chicago....I think it was part of some larger fest (maybe something Touch & Go related?) - and it was like a love at first sight kind of thing. I've known Merilee since about '95 (we played in a band that you've never heard of before called Snowball - we played one show at Coney Island High - not memorable)....and met most of her boyfriends during that time - but when she met Doug - it was different. Totally head over heels.

She moved to Austin - they started that band Blower - recorded with Albini. Two Man Advantage played a show with them in Brooklyn....and then we played with them again down in Austin. They ended up moving to Joshua Tree and started a catering business - which I believe Merilee is still doing.

Small world; had no idea what she did post-Aquarian, but that first name rung a bell. Small world; I always liked her writing and agreed with many of her opinions back then from what I remember. I'd venture to guess you two probably had some arguments about Atlantic-era Bad Religion back then. Why? I remember a particularly savage review of a BR show from like '96 or something. And thanks for the correction. Again, my condolences to her.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Return to daghouse