Thread in which I rate Clash Lps

Thread in which I rate Clash Lps

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:35 pm

1) London Calling
2) self-titled
3) Combat Rock
4) Sandinista
5) Give Em Enough Rope

The rest.

I've been listening to Combat Rock a bunch lately. It's got a lot of cool exotic sounds like Sandinista but is less self-indulgent.
Author. Adventurer. Bon vivant.
xxxHunterxxx
 
Posts: 1509
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:56 am

Re: Thread in which I rate Clash Lps

Postby tango fistula » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:56 pm

1. London Calling
2. Give Em Enough Rope
3. The Clash
4. Combat Rock
5. Sandinista!

If it were two songs longer I'd put "Black Market Clash" in the third spot.
tango fistula
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:25 pm

Re: Thread in which I rate Clash Lps

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:46 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:1) London Calling
2) self-titled
3) Combat Rock
4) Sandinista
5) Give Em Enough Rope

The rest.

I've been listening to Combat Rock a bunch lately. It's got a lot of cool exotic sounds like Sandinista but is less self-indulgent.


So very very wrong
User avatar
xxxMidgexxx
 
Posts: 1982
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: Thread in which I rate Clash Lps

Postby SamDBL » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:21 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:1) London Calling
2) self-titled
3) Combat Rock
4) Sandinista
5) Give Em Enough Rope

The rest.

I've been listening to Combat Rock a bunch lately. It's got a lot of cool exotic sounds like Sandinista but is less self-indulgent.


So very very wrong


Agreed. Some albums I viewed as lame when I was younger, I've really come around to. But Combat Rock is as lame as it ever was. And everyone knows that Give Em Enough Rope is the best. As a transitional album, it manages to capture the raw simplicity of the first album, but with a hint of the progress in songwriting and performance on the second album. It was also conistant. Unlike some of their later albums where they were trying to cram a bunch of annoying influences like disco and 80s dance music in. I do agree that London Calling is a masterpiece.
SamDBL
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Thread in which I rate Clash Lps

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:41 am

SamDBL wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:1) London Calling
2) self-titled
3) Combat Rock
4) Sandinista
5) Give Em Enough Rope

The rest.

I've been listening to Combat Rock a bunch lately. It's got a lot of cool exotic sounds like Sandinista but is less self-indulgent.


So very very wrong


Agreed. Some albums I viewed as lame when I was younger, I've really come around to. But Combat Rock is as lame as it ever was. And everyone knows that Give Em Enough Rope is the best. As a transitional album, it manages to capture the raw simplicity of the first album, but with a hint of the progress in songwriting and performance on the second album. It was also conistant. Unlike some of their later albums where they were trying to cram a bunch of annoying influences like disco and 80s dance music in. I do agree that London Calling is a masterpiece.


I haven't listened to GEER in years but I remember it as having two great songs (Safe European Home and Tommy Gun) and then a bunch of unremarkable cuts. I also remember thinking the production was thin. I'll listen to it again and report back.
Author. Adventurer. Bon vivant.
xxxHunterxxx
 
Posts: 1509
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:56 am

Re: Thread in which I rate Clash Lps

Postby Welly » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:12 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:I'll listen to it again and correct my list.


Fixed that for ya.
Welly
 
Posts: 2201
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:56 am

Re: Thread in which I rate Clash Lps

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:06 pm

SamDBL wrote:And everyone knows that Give Em Enough Rope is the best. As a transitional album, it manages to capture the raw simplicity of the first album, but with a hint of the progress in songwriting and performance on the second album. It was also conistant. Unlike some of their later albums where they were trying to cram a bunch of annoying influences like disco and 80s dance music in.




THIS!
User avatar
xxxMidgexxx
 
Posts: 1982
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: Thread in which I rate Clash Lps

Postby scannest » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:08 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:I haven't listened to GEER in years but I remember it as having two great songs (Safe European Home and Tommy Gun) and then a bunch of unremarkable cuts. I also remember thinking the production was thin. I'll listen to it again and report back.

I listened to it again a few months ago and found it to be much better than I remembered.

And I'll take this opportunity to share one of my favorite r'n'r tidbits - Mick Jones lifted "Safe European Home"'s main chord progression from the chorus of Sammy Hagar's "I've Done Everything for You." The same tune Rick Springfield had a huge hit with. It's true.

"Maybe if Lewdd posts pics of barbecued salmon, you can post pictures of sushi?" -Jimmy Heartburn
User avatar
scannest
 
Posts: 2441
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Re: Thread in which I rate Clash Lps

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:47 am

scannest wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:I haven't listened to GEER in years but I remember it as having two great songs (Safe European Home and Tommy Gun) and then a bunch of unremarkable cuts. I also remember thinking the production was thin. I'll listen to it again and report back.

I listened to it again a few months ago and found it to be much better than I remembered.

And I'll take this opportunity to share one of my favorite r'n'r tidbits - Mick Jones lifted "Safe European Home"'s main chord progression from the chorus of Sammy Hagar's "I've Done Everything for You." The same tune Rick Springfield had a huge hit with. It's true.



Ha. I never realized that.

My favorite theft story is that Malcolm McLaren was bitching at the Sex Pistols one day saying, "why can't you eejits write anything as good as 'In The City'?" So they stole the riff and turned it into "Holidays in the Sun."
Author. Adventurer. Bon vivant.
xxxHunterxxx
 
Posts: 1509
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:56 am

Re: Thread in which I rate Clash Lps

Postby FormerLurker » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:48 pm

3 or 4 good songs, tops.
FormerLurker
 
Posts: 343
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 am

Re: Thread in which I rate Clash Lps

Postby jaybird » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:04 am

No love for Cut The Crap? :lol:

Sam is right - Give 'Em Enough Rope is the best, followed by London Calling, and then I'm kinda over it.
User avatar
jaybird
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Thread in which I rate Clash Lps

Postby johnnotkathi » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:06 am

1 - The Clash / Self Titled
1 - Give'em Enough Rope
2 - London Calling

That's it for me......
User avatar
johnnotkathi
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:02 am
Location: Skippack, PA

Re: Thread in which I rate Clash Lps

Postby soulforce » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:49 am

Not much of a fan but I'll give it a try:

1. The Clash (US version) -- because of the 4 or 5 classic tunes that everyone's heard at least once on the radio :)
2. London Calling -- because of the few unexpectedly catchy Mick Jones' contributions like "I'm Not Down" and "Train in Vain"
3. Combat Rock -- "Rock the Casbah" and the one, which title I'm sick of hearing again and again
4. Give 'em Enough Rope -- heard it once, not too enthusiastic to give it a second try
5. Sandinista! -- the only thing worth here being the funny kids version of "Career Opportunities"

Never listened to their last one, but I doubt that it will change the list considerably.
User avatar
soulforce
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Re: Thread in which I rate Clash Lps

Postby JGJR » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:53 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
SamDBL wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:1) London Calling
2) self-titled
3) Combat Rock
4) Sandinista
5) Give Em Enough Rope

The rest.

I've been listening to Combat Rock a bunch lately. It's got a lot of cool exotic sounds like Sandinista but is less self-indulgent.


So very very wrong


Agreed. Some albums I viewed as lame when I was younger, I've really come around to. But Combat Rock is as lame as it ever was. And everyone knows that Give Em Enough Rope is the best. As a transitional album, it manages to capture the raw simplicity of the first album, but with a hint of the progress in songwriting and performance on the second album. It was also conistant. Unlike some of their later albums where they were trying to cram a bunch of annoying influences like disco and 80s dance music in. I do agree that London Calling is a masterpiece.


I haven't listened to GEER in years but I remember it as having two great songs (Safe European Home and Tommy Gun) and then a bunch of unremarkable cuts. I also remember thinking the production was thin. I'll listen to it again and report back.


I love Give 'Em Enough Rope (and Combat Rock). The bottom line is that they never made a less than great record from 1977-1982. And what about "Stay Free?" Sheesh!
yourenotevil wrote:we've been wasting a lot of time on here then!
User avatar
JGJR
 
Posts: 6459
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 am
Location: Philadelphia, PA


Return to daghouse

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests