Fugazi

Fugazi

Postby SamDBL » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:56 am

So what's the dc insider crew's take on the probability of a reunion? I can't figure out why it hasn't happened yet. Unlike a lot of other bands of the era, they're thing would still 'work' as well, if not better, than it ever has. Like, in comparison to a band like minor threat, where age of the members is kind of a factor. It doesn't seem like the members of the band are so insanely busy with other projects that they couldn't do it. I'm not even a huge, huge fan. I just can't figure out why they wouldn't do something else. A show, a release, whatever. I can't think of another band that would be in such a great position on all fronts to get back together. I'm glad they haven't done it for some ultra predictable reason like a presidential race, or whatever. But for a band so hip on activism, it seems like some cause would've inspired them, by now. It would be such a big deal, that they could really contribute to whatever thing they throw in on. I don't know. Just curios what the deal is. Every time I run across a video on Facebook or something, it makes me think how perfectly relevant to current times the band is. Musically, lyrically, etc. They still sound brand new.
SamDBL

Re: Fugazi

Postby jaybird » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:38 am

jaybird

Postby scannest » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:57 am

Plucky has suggested that we're more likely to get a Minor Threat reunion than a Fugazi one. And he's pretty insider DC if anyone is.

I imagine it is just too fraught with expectations for Ian or Guy to be interested. No matter what they chose to do (tour, one big show, benefit of some sort) they would be guaranteed to disappoint a whole legion of people. I suspect for their own mental heath it is best to not even think about it.
Frankly, I'm more bummed out that Guy has done virtually nothing musically since the band stopped playing and recording. I think he played with Vic Chestnut for a little bit and did some sort art-thingy in Brooklyn, and...?
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby kevin » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:59 pm

Haven't posted in awhile. A few weekends ago, all four of them were in the same room at St Stephens for John's memorial service. Now that Joe has moved back to the DC area (from Italy), who knows. Maybe it will happen someday. Guy is the only one that lives out of town now (Brooklyn).
kevin

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:49 pm

The album that I've played the most times in my life.

"Fugazi" (1983)

xxxMidgexxx

Postby FormerLurker » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:25 pm

The new E record sounds a lot like Fugazi, only good.
FormerLurker

Postby version sound » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:44 pm

http://www.culturecreature.com/ian-mackaye-interview-trump-social-media-fugazi/

In summary, he said that he still considers himself as being in a band with those guys, and they have played together since the hiatus began, but making the band active again would involve a lot of logistics that are difficult to navigate (one of which being the fact that they don't all live in the same place). He said they would not start playing again (publicly) solely in response to the current political climate, and while they played shows in support of certain political positions in the past, that was not their sole reason for existing, but was something they chose to do while they were an active unit.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:04 pm

I was thinking about this not too long ago. I'm sure logistics are a big issue. But I've got another theory.
One of the reasons they were such a remarkable band is that they lived and breathed "it" 24/7. When they weren't playing live they were practicing, hours on end most every day. This is something you can do when you're (relatively) young with no obligations or commitments outside of the band. But imagine trying to operate on the level they were operating at on a part time basis. It just wouldn't be the same. Muscles (literally and figuratively) atrophy when not in regular use. It never is the same, but many bands don't care. But I bet it would kill them to be anything less than what they were for 15 years.

SIDEBAR: I was thinking "Well, the Descendents haven't been a full time band in a loooong time and they are still at the top of their game, musically. I guess it's not true for them." But I was talking to Karl when they were last in town and he said that he and Bill were flying home during a 5 day break in the tour so they could practice. Bill and Karl have continued to practice all the time and it shows.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby version sound » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:20 pm

I'm sure that's part of it. He said they used to practice 3-4 hours a day, 5 days a week. That's a lot, especially when you have kids, but do any of those guys have 9-5 jobs?

One of the other issues he mentioned was venue/ticket prices. He said that with the proliferation of online ticket resellers, it would be impossible to keep ticket prices reasonable (he actually quoted a $15 ticket price as being reasonable these days).
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:00 pm

scannest wrote:I was thinking about this not too long ago. I'm sure logistics are a big issue. But I've got another theory.
One of the reasons they were such a remarkable band is that they lived and breathed "it" 24/7. When they weren't playing live they were practicing, hours on end most every day. This is something you can do when you're (relatively) young with no obligations or commitments outside of the band. But imagine trying to operate on the level they were operating at on a part time basis. It just wouldn't be the same. Muscles (literally and figuratively) atrophy when not in regular use. It never is the same, but many bands don't care. But I bet it would kill them to be anything less than what they were for 15 years.

SIDEBAR: I was thinking "Well, the Descendents haven't been a full time band in a loooong time and they are still at the top of their game, musically. I guess it's not true for them." But I was talking to Karl when they were last in town and he said that he and Bill were flying home during a 5 day break in the tour so they could practice. Bill and Karl have continued to practice all the time and it shows.

Not only that, but as I'm sure you know, they ARE a full-time band now that Milo is committed even with them all living in different places, etc.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:28 pm

scannest wrote:I was thinking about this not too long ago. I'm sure logistics are a big issue. But I've got another theory.

This. All of this^.

I'd prolly see FVGAZI again though if they play most of their material before Red Medicine.

AND Especially since Marillion don't play anything off their Fugazi album since 1989.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby danny » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:14 pm

not going to happen.

but...joe and ian have a new band brewing, so you will get to see half of them.
danny

Postby version sound » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:29 pm

danny wrote:not going to happen.

but...joe and ian have a new band brewing, so you will get to see half of them.

This is exciting news. I like The Evens, but they are far and away the least interesting thing he's ever done.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Return to daghouse