Keith Morris book

Keith Morris book

Postby Jimmy Heartburn » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:37 pm

I'm ordering this off Amazon right now. There's also a Randy Rampage book coming out called 'I Survived DOA', by the same guy who did the books on SNFU, Dayglo Abortions, Personality Crisis and Real McKenzies. Should be interesting too.

My stupid music blog http://melonvillehc.blogspot.ca
Jimmy Heartburn

Re: Keith Morris book

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:27 am

SPAM//////:This would make a nice complement to the Morris bio:

https://microcosmpublishing.com/catalog/books/6458

There's very little overlap between the two books.//////SPAM
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:47 pm

I finally finished the Keith book. Great read.

Geez, the amount of cocaine and beer ....I am so glad he's alive and well and sober today.

No mention of the Rock Palace performance though. I guess a lot of those Circle Jerks years were a blurr.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby kel » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:17 pm

I saw it at the local library, picked it up, read it last night.

Dunno. Kinda meh. I'm sure it was a nice walk down memory lane for Morris, reliving and telling of a bunch of personal experiences, but it wasn't particularly inclusive to the reader. I mean, most rock history books are either revved up namedrop experiences throughout ("I partied with other famous/more famous people than myself!"), or insider-info of the behind-the-scenes of the music/touring/groupie/whatever industry. Usually with a little score-settling / right-wronging opportunities taken while the author has the mic.

This had a little of each, but other than smoking crack with David Lee Roth and poking a toe halfheartedly a little at Ginn, there wasn't much in the fireworks controversy department. Shade was limited to a few "Rollins was the not-terribly-impressive fourth singer" leitmotif, and "Greg isn't that nice a person." Which is ok, because I wasn't looking for "What nasty dirt does X have on Y?"

The industry angle interests me, but we had to get 230 or so pages into it until we got to a little "here's what it was like dealing with the big record labels and politics in the 90's" stuff.

Mostly the book was composed of the type of stories that most of us probably have from our youth: e.g. in high school and college years, you/a friend/someone you knew drank/smoked/injected so much he/she fought/threw up/crashed a car/stole something/did something stupid but entertaining. Entertaining enough to laugh it up with your buddies that you were there with back in the day, but... you've got to be a good storyteller to make an audience care about those 80's wacky hijinks that were personal to YOU. Ahem. You know, like Rollins does when he's doing spoken word comedy. ;)

I'm not a huge Jerks fan, but think they're a solid band, love Keith's stage presence when I've seen them live (other than his too long political rants), but... I guess he's the guy with the microphone so he's gonna say (and write) what's important to him. It just wasn't very important to me.
kel

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:25 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:SPAM//////:This would make a nice complement to the Morris bio:

I wound up buying your book 2wice. I lost the physical copy when I was hospitalized for kidney stones, so I had to re-buy it for Kindle.

Lots of classic 1-liners from Roger and crew. The fact that Roger lived as long as he did was amazing.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:39 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:SPAM//////:This would make a nice complement to the Morris bio:

I wound up buying your book 2wice. I lost the physical copy when I was hospitalized for kidney stones, so I had to re-buy it for Kindle.

Lots of classic 1-liners from Roger and crew. The fact that Roger lived as long as he did was amazing.

Only two copies? My kids are headed to college soon.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:53 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:

Only two copies? My kids are headed to college soon.

Tell them not to drink any strawberry milkshakes at the parties.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:32 am

I liked both books a lot. I wasn’t really expecting too much dirt. I find L.A. circa the mid-60s through the early 80s totally fascinating for some reason, so Keith’s stories about growing up were interesting to me.

Midge, have you read Under The Big Black Sun? That one’s pretty great if you have any interest in the formative years of SoCal punk.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:10 am

version sound wrote:Midge, have you read Under The Big Black Sun? That one’s pretty great if you have any interest in the formative years of SoCal punk.

If its mostly about X, I'll prolly pass.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:28 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
version sound wrote:Midge, have you read Under The Big Black Sun? That one’s pretty great if you have any interest in the formative years of SoCal punk.

Somewhere, right now, JGJR is in tears.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:29 am

gregpolard wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:

I like some of their music. Not a HUGE fan. I saw Excene live and thought she was good (with 7Seconds, Naked Raygun and Descendents)

But since that dude went off the deep end with his I love Trump and Jesus and everything is a conspiracy, its hard for me to dig into their music since I was only a casual fan from the start.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:56 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:

I like some of their music. Not a HUGE fan. I saw Excene live and thought she was good (with 7Seconds, Naked Raygun and Descendents)

But since that dude went off the deep end with his I love Trump and Jesus and everything is a conspiracy, its hard for me to dig into their music since I was only a casual fan from the start.

I thought you loved (and discovered) Trump.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:09 pm

gregpolard wrote:I thought you loved (and discovered) Trump.

I never cared much for you greg. especially since you gave up being vegan. Disgraceful.
Last edited by xxxMidgexxx on Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:16 pm

It’s actually more about the scene in general. He only wrote bits of it. There are chapters by Alice Bag , Jack Grisham, and others.

Wait, is John Doe pro-Trump or are we talking about that cuckoo bird Exene?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:11 pm

version sound wrote:It’s actually more about the scene in general. He only wrote bits of it. There are chapters by Alice Bag , Jack Grisham, and others.

Wait, is John Doe pro-Trump or are we talking about that cuckoo bird Exene?

I don't know. Its one of the guys. Billy Zoom or John Doe. But he defriended my friend Jaime from Electric Frankenstein on FB because he talked smack about the shithole known as the White House.

She's nuts too I hear. I don't really care. I support Keith and the peeps from LA that I'm interested in and that deserve my dollars.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby version sound » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:17 pm

Probably Billy, unfortunately.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:44 am

version sound wrote:Probably Billy, unfortunately.

Yeah, no way it is Doe. Noooooo waaaaaaaaay.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby version sound » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:53 am

I’m pretty sure I remember reading on guitar forums that Billy was a right wing crank.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:36 pm

version sound wrote:I’m pretty sure I remember reading on guitar forums that Billy was a right wing crank.

Yeah, he horrified everybody in the 90s by announcing he was a big Rush Limbaugh fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby Knutsen » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:23 am

The first 2 Trump albums have a couple good songs.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:19 am

Knutsen wrote:The first 2 Trump albums have a couple good songs.

He was more literate back then. It was before he sold out to the White power crowd.
xxxMidgexxx

Return to daghouse