HAWKWIND

HAWKWIND

Postby tango fistula » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:58 pm

Won an ebay auction and I'm about to dive in...and these are murky waters for me...

Got any tips/warnings/recommendations?

Thanks a bunch y'all...
tango fistula

Re: HAWKWIND

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:04 pm

All I've really heard is a live CD from the early '70s. I liked it, but never followed up from there.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:16 pm

they are kind of a mixed bag. space ritual is cool. i really like the songs lemmy wrote best, but that was only 2 or 3 at most i think.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby Michele » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:20 pm

love them, but not a real expert to give you sugegstions, there are so many phases and so on... space ritual is a killer for sure.
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby captain2man » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:35 pm

What an intimidating catalog. They're playing in New York City on 10/13, I think.

Of the older studio albums, you probably can't go wrong with any of Doremi Fasol Latido, Hall of the Mountain Grill, Warrior on the Edge of Time, Quark, Strangeness and Charm, or Levitation. I've heard that their newer records - Blood of the Earth and Onward are both really good - but I can't personally attest to that.

Space Ritual is the classic live album.
captain2man

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:16 pm

yourenotevil wrote:they are kind of a mixed bag. space ritual is cool. i really like the songs lemmy wrote best, but that was only 2 or 3 at most i think.

He wrote "Motorhead" (of course) and he sang but didn't write their biggest UK hit "Silver Machine," but I'm not sure about the rest. And I agree with you about Space Ritual. It's awesome!
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:30 am

captain2man wrote:Space Ritual is the classic live album.

That's the one I heard. Good stuff.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:58 pm

The ones I've got are "Do Re Mi" and "In Search of Space". Both pretty good, and from the "classic" 70s period. Lately I haven't been in the mood for this type of music so I probably last listened to them over 6 months ago (keep in mind I own over 3000 CDs, so lots of stuff gets lost in the shuffle). I know that "Do Re Mi" is highly regarded by many...I believe Lemmy from Motorhead played on it.

Anyway, I'm no expert on the group but I know that they have a devoted fan base. I wanna say about 15 years ago someone gave me a tape that was a mixtape of their favorite Hawkwind songs and it had live and studio material all the way through the 90s. It was a pretty good listen all the way through and I remember liking the tape quite a bit at the time. I would imagine their later years are filled with some under-appreciated gems here and there.
patient_ot

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:29 pm

i also kind of get the feeling this was the kind of band you had to see on acid in the 70s during their prime and some of what they were about was lost on record.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Return to daghouse