Metallica - "Hard wired"

Metallica - "Hard wired"

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:22 pm

^v^
WrEtcH

Re: Metallica - "Hard wired"

Postby crus » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:15 am

I wish they went back to the days they wrote lyrics whilst watching CNN rather than Some Kind of Monster on loop.
crus

Postby akissfan » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:16 pm

Sounds exactly like something off Death/Beyond Magnetic.

I know their way of writing is riffs riffs riffs and then throw a vocal over the top. It used to work for them but now it just sounds amateur to me. "Riff #1 could go into riff #2 and then do a few cymbal grabs and go right back into riff #1. Then go into riff #2 but do it half time." Then throw a vocal that has no melody over the top of it? Or the vocal melody doesn't jive with the riff?

Sorry, not digging it. Quite a few of the old school metal bands are coming out with way better material than Metallica. Anthrax-Breathing Lightning. Slayer-Repentless. New Prong album. Last Obituary album.

IMO
akissfan

Postby Mark T. » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:42 pm

I gave up on Metallica many years ago and although Brent kinda nailed it with his review, I kinda like this one. As a guitar player, this one, for me would be kinda fun to play, maybe that's why I like it. That snare does get on my nerves though, it could be toned down in the mix.
Projeckt Daghouse:
PDIV - Thousand Days - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVX7w2iNIfw
Mark T.

Postby SamDBL » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:05 pm

Like the last few things, this sounds like a total compromise between trying to please their older fans of their thrash stuff and the fans that came on board once they went hard rock. And, like the last few things, it sounds fairly mediocre. I've heard better, and I've heard worse. The lyrics are super goofy. Certainly doesn't match up to their first three records. And not even as cool as the black album. The last couple albums were billed as come backs, and they both put me to sleep. They are one of these bands that just seem like it would be so easy to get back to basics and knock it out of the park... But something just seems to hold them back every time. Soul asylum and queensryche are kind of the same. The difference is that Metallica has achieved this Pink Floyd iconic status of eternally selling out stadiums and maintaining a massive fans base no matter how bad the albums get.
SamDBL

Postby WrEtcH » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:36 am

SamDBL wrote:Like the last few things, this sounds like a total compromise between trying to please their older fans of their thrash stuff and the fans that came on board once they went hard rock. And, like the last few things, it sounds fairly mediocre. I've heard better, and I've heard worse. The lyrics are super goofy. Certainly doesn't match up to their first three records. And not even as cool as the black album. The last couple albums were billed as come backs, and they both put me to sleep. They are one of these bands that just seem like it would be so easy to get back to basics and knock it out of the park... But something just seems to hold them back every time. Soul asylum and queensryche are kind of the same. The difference is that Metallica has achieved this Pink Floyd iconic status of eternally selling out stadiums and maintaining a massive fans base no matter how bad the albums get.

Well said. I think the new song is in the right direction, but it doesn't blow me away.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby JoeR » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:43 pm

I posted something similar on Dennis FB page....

We want to be excited because there are some cool moments but...this song at best would have been a B-Side or scrapped altogether during the days up to and including Justice.
JoeR

Postby jaybird » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:28 am

akissfan wrote:Sounds exactly like something off Death/Beyond Magnetic.

I know their way of writing is riffs riffs riffs and then throw a vocal over the top. It used to work for them but now it just sounds amateur to me. "Riff #1 could go into riff #2 and then do a few cymbal grabs and go right back into riff #1. Then go into riff #2 but do it half time." Then throw a vocal that has no melody over the top of it? Or the vocal melody doesn't jive with the riff?

Sorry, not digging it. Quite a few of the old school metal bands are coming out with way better material than Metallica. Anthrax-Breathing Lightning. Slayer-Repentless. New Prong album. Last Obituary album.

IMO

Nailed it. I was into this for exactly 50 seconds, i.e. until the vocals kicked in.
jaybird

Postby Gary » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:37 am

Anyone seen that new Master of Puppets book? Been hearing good talk about it.
Gary

Postby akissfan » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:55 am

Listen: Metallica’s ”Hardwired” with the Band’s Classic Tones

akissfan

Return to daghouse