Superchunk at Union Transfer 9/24/13

Superchunk at Union Transfer 9/24/13

Postby gregpolard » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:18 am

Might be my favorite show of the year. I thought nothing would top Bob Mould from the Bowery or Flag last week. But man, stellar set.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Re: Superchunk at Union Transfer 9/24/13

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:23 am

I was there as well and can also attest that it was excellent as well, perhaps as good as they were 3 years ago (the last time they played here). I would've picked a few other songs from Majesty Shredding, but otherwise they covered the best songs on the new Lp and their '90s output and it was like a greatest hits set. I've never heard a more ripping version of "Detroit is a Skyline." One funny moment was (in the middle of "Digging for Something") when Mac got the crowd to sing along with his "Fuck nostalgia" chant. And the next song? "Slack Motherfucker," of course. Irony? Regardless, they are a machine. Wurster is an absolute beast on the drums. How Mac has the energy to pogo for an hour at his age is also a mystery. Great night!
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby jaybird » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:20 am

The Hi-Fi Handgrenades did the defininitive version of Detroit has a Skyline.

jaybird

Postby earthdog70 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:03 pm

Thanks for the reviews. Looking forward to the show tomorrow.

I miss Hi-Fi Handgrenades alot :cry:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby gregpolard » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:07 pm

You will NOT be disappointed. I admit, for my first time finally seeing them it was odd to not have Laura up there but Jason Narducy is a more than suitable replacement.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:58 pm

jaybird wrote:The Hi-Fi Handgrenades did the defininitive version of Detroit has a Skyline.

I'll have to check it out, but trust me you will never hear a more smoldering version of that song than the one they played last night.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:03 pm

I gave it a listen. It's a good, if very reverential version, but it doesn't touch the original. I mean, it's not even close. The production is just a bit too slick for starters.
JGJR

Postby jaybird » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:22 am

JGJR wrote:I gave it a listen. It's a good, if very reverential version, but it doesn't touch the original. I mean, it's not even close. The production is just a bit too slick for starters.

I was never a fan of the production on the earlier Superchunk records. They had all these great songs, but they always sounded like they were recorded with a vacuum cleaner running next to the mics or something. That, and the fact that I love everything John Speck has ever done, and you know, the whole hometown angle on this tune makes it for me.
jaybird

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:27 pm

JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:50 am

Weird how that setlist shows "Slack Motherfucker" on there twice.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:50 am

Also, my favorite part might have been the last 3 songs!
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:20 pm

gregpolard wrote:Weird how that setlist shows "Slack Motherfucker" on there twice.

Well they definitely played it right after "Digging for Something," so I'm pretty sure the main set ended with "Trees in Barcelona." It is weird that it's on there twice, but it just looks like a misprint.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:25 pm

gregpolard wrote:Also, my favorite part might have been the last 3 songs!

Yeah, the Ruin and Misfits covers were sick. I certainly wasn't expecting a mini-hardcore set from them as they didn't do that back in 2010.
JGJR

Postby jaybird » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:37 pm

JGJR wrote:

Yeah, the Ruin and Misfits covers were sick. I certainly wasn't expecting a mini-hardcore set from them as they didn't do that back in 2010.

Yes they did.

jaybird

Postby JGJR » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:23 am

jaybird wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Yes they did.

I meant not at their show HERE in 2010. Sorry for not clarifying that. Anyway, that looks awesome and I will watch it. And I couldn't disagree with you more about their early Lps. No Pocky for Kitty and On the Mouth in particular are awesome. If there's surface noise or buzzing or reverb sometimes, then that's rock and roll!
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:45 am

i remember seeing these guys on conan and bought the 7 inch for whatever album that was(prolly 95). i had the cd with slack motherfucker on it, but that was the only song i remember liking a lot since i sold it at some point down the line.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby seanTM » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:07 pm

I'm taking my kid to see Superchunk tomorrow night at 9:30 - it's his first real show, and they are one of his favorite bands. I may need to stick around post show to see if he can meet the band, but stuff like that makes me feel kinda douchey.
seanTM

Postby JGJR » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:59 pm

seanTM wrote:I'm taking my kid to see Superchunk tomorrow night at 9:30 - it's his first real show, and they are one of his favorite bands. I may need to stick around post show to see if he can meet the band, but stuff like that makes me feel kinda douchey.

If it helps you any, I stayed for about 45 minutes to an hour after the show here just talking to some friends and the only member I saw come out was Jon Wurster (their drummer), who was there with Tom Scharpling. I didn't see the other members at all during the opening band (Spider Bags) or after the show. It's too bad as I would've loved to say hi to Mac and Jim (I interviewed them 3 years ago the last time they were in town). Oh well. They're very nice people, though, so I hope if you could get in touch with them somehow I would think that they'd have no objection to meeting a young fan (how old is he?).

Anyway, that is awesome (that you're taking him).
JGJR

Postby seanTM » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:06 pm

Thanks for the info. He's 11, so my wife was already on the fence about him going in the first place. I need to get him home as early as possible since he has school on Monday, so we'll probably just bail when the show is over. I'm sure learning the "fuck nostalgia" chant will more than make up for it ;)
seanTM

Postby JGJR » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:45 am

seanTM wrote:Thanks for the info. He's 11, so my wife was already on the fence about him going in the first place. I need to get him home as early as possible since he has school on Monday, so we'll probably just bail when the show is over. I'm sure learning the "fuck nostalgia" chant will more than make up for it ;)

Just don't tell your wife about said chant. It was a pretty PG-rated show otherwise. :lol:
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:17 am

JGJR, Mac came out and got ice cream at Little Baby's like 5 feet from us while we were all talking in the lobby. I think you were in the zone of conversation though so didn't notice...
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:37 am

gregpolard wrote:JGJR, Mac came out and got ice cream at Little Baby's like 5 feet from us while we were all talking in the lobby. I think you were in the zone of conversation though so didn't notice...

You're right. I didn't notice that at all. I can be quite oblivious to stuff like that when I'm in the zone!
JGJR

Postby john stabb » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:30 am

Missed the DC gig but heard they did "Sneakers" (teen idles). Very cool of them to pick a h/c song from cities they're in as a tribute. 8-)
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby JGJR » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:13 am

john stabb wrote:Missed the DC gig but heard they did "Sneakers" (teen idles). Very cool of them to pick a h/c song from cities they're in as a tribute. 8-)

Indeed. They did a Ruin song here in Philly and another Misfits song in New York along with songs by Patti Smith and The Ramones (with Eleanor Friedberger singing!) there as well.
JGJR

Postby aquaman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:19 am

and "This Ain't No Picnic" in LA.
aquaman

Postby earthdog70 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:44 pm

And per my previous post-Jerry's Kids in Boston.

3 guitar Chunk-do they want to be like BR now? :shock:

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com ... id/n41308/
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby john stabb » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:20 pm

3 guitars ... does it really make that much of a difference or just overkill :?:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby scannest » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:59 am

Or perhaps no one wanted to be left out of their national television appearance (Laura is still in the band although Jason Narducy is playing bass on tour).
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby scannest » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:07 am

For those interested, you can download a terrfic recording of their 2nd night in NYC here:
http://www.nyctaper.com/2013/09/superch ... streaming/

PLEASE NOTE: They don't actually cover "20 Eyes" and "My War". They just sing a couple lines from each over the riff from their last song. They do cover Patti Smith and Ramones with Eleanor Friedberger on vocals.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:02 am

scannest wrote:Or perhaps no one wanted to be left out of their national television appearance (Laura is still in the band although Jason Narducy is playing bass on tour).

Fair enough, but they have been on national TV before. I remember them appearing on something in 2010, but they hadn't been on national TV since the mid '90s IIRC.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:11 am

JGJR wrote:
scannest wrote:Or perhaps no one wanted to be left out of their national television appearance (Laura is still in the band although Jason Narducy is playing bass on tour).

Fair enough, but they have been on national TV before. I remember them appearing on something in 2010, but they hadn't been on national TV since the mid '90s IIRC.

Maybe you're just nitpicky :lol:
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:12 am

gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Me or scannest? I don't care who's playing bass for them, honestly. They're all about Mac and Jon (as scannest has stated).
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:18 am

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Me or scannest? I don't care who's playing bass for them, honestly. They're all about Mac and Jon (as scannest has stated).

Just watched it and wow, what a great performance for national TV (just like the 2010 one)! I could be cynical and say something like "isn't it amazing how Laura's tinnitus goes away when they're on national TV" but honestly I don't care.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:37 am

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
JGJR wrote:

I just felt like saying it. :bag:

But yeah, what a great performance! Jason and Jon have quite the track record with these late night TV appearances. This Superchunk clip and the Bob Mould clips when they were doing the "Silver Age" rounds are some of the best I've ever seen on TV.
gregpolard

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:58 am

gregpolard wrote: This Superchunk clip and the Bob Mould clips when they were doing the "Silver Age" rounds are some of the best I've ever seen on TV.

:lol:
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:05 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote: This Superchunk clip and the Bob Mould clips when they were doing the "Silver Age" rounds are some of the best I've ever seen on TV.

Eh. I stand by what I said above. Most people I've talked to / read opinions from online said that they thought the Bob Mould clips from the late shows last year were also among the best on TV. I'm usually not too into bands on late night shows...customarily sounds pretty weak.

Nice pic, though.
gregpolard

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:08 pm

gregpolard wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:

Eh. I stand by what I said above. Most people I've talked to / read opinions from online said that they thought the Bob Mould clips from the late shows last year were also among the best on TV. I'm usually not too into bands on late night shows...customarily sounds pretty weak.

Nice pic, though.

Sorry, that was meant to be a good-natured ribbing. I'm not trying to give you a hard time.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:09 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:

Nice pic, though.

Sorry, that was meant to be a good-natured ribbing. I'm not trying to give you a hard time.

:bag:
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:09 pm

(If I could post Youtube links at work I'd post one of me doing the Charlie Brown walk with the sad piano music in the background)
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:29 pm

gregpolard wrote:Most people I've talked to / read opinions from online said that they thought the Bob Mould clips from the late shows last year were also among the best on TV.

For that particlar month it aired? Absoutely. But are you talking all-time greatest television performance by a rock band?
:shock:
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:30 pm

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Most people I've talked to / read opinions from online said that they thought the Bob Mould clips from the late shows last year were also among the best on TV.

For that particlar month it aired? Absoutely. But are you talking all-time greatest television performance by a rock band?
:shock:

I should clarify. I meant in recent times i.e. the past say, 5 years.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:36 pm

gregpolard wrote:I should clarify. I meant in recent times i.e. the past say, 5 years.

Well, then take it easy on the "best I've ever seen" talk, Captain Awesome.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:41 pm

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:I should clarify. I meant in recent times i.e. the past say, 5 years.

Name some good TV performances, though. I honestly can't think of many. Even bands I like usually just sound "ok" on live tv.

A good example of this in recent times is Quicksand. When I saw the clips of them on Jimmy Fallon or whatever show it was that they were on, they sounded weak. To the point where I know a lot of people considered not going to the reunion shows because of it. Then I saw them in January and they sounded great...loads better than they did on TV.

I digress, but the whole point I was trying to make was that it seems (to me at least) pretty tough to keep a really tight, energetic live sound when playing on TV and both Superchunk and Bob Mould Band managed to do so.
gregpolard

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:10 pm

gregpolard wrote:
scannest wrote:

Name some good TV performances, though. I honestly can't think of many.

xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:11 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
scannest wrote:

Name some good TV performances, though. I honestly can't think of many.

xxxHunterxxx

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:25 pm

Youtube links don't work here at the office. I just see a white block. What are they? Curious!
gregpolard

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:39 pm

gregpolard wrote:Youtube links don't work here at the office. I just see a white block. What are they? Curious!

Dr. Feelgood doing "She Does It Right" and Vanilla Fudge doing "You Keep Me Hangin' On."
xxxHunterxxx

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:05 pm

scannest wrote:

Who gives a shit about the time frame? Let me break it down for you, Captain Contrarian.

1) Jawbox, Bob Mould and Superchunk (both in 2010 and within the last week) were awesome on late-night TV in recent years. I may be forgetting a few others, but those stood out.
2) Most bands on late-night TV don't translate all that well, but those are exceptions.

I'm not saying any of the above were as transcendent as Elvis Costello on SNL back in 1977 when he pulled the ol' "Less than Zero" into "Radio Radio" switcheroo, but they are all well worth watching.

I can't embed this since it's not on YouTube, but here it is.

http://videos.mediaite.com/video/Elvis- ... Radio-1977
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:14 pm

Speaking of TV performances, I can never find a good Mats on SNL one.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:23 pm

JGJR wrote:Who gives a shit about the time frame? Let me break it down for you, Captain Contrarian.

Are you talking to me or Greg, cuz he threw out the time frame.
He also wrote "This Superchunk clip and the Bob Mould clips when they were doing the "Silver Age" rounds are some of the best I've ever seen on TV."
Which means he A) actually meant the best of a certain recent vintage (he says 5 years, I proposed a month) or B) he just hasn't seen enough awesome TV stuff (like the examples Hunter provided).
Or (Or), he just likes to call things the best ever a lot.
scannest

Next

Return to daghouse