Superchunk at Union Transfer 9/24/13

Re: Superchunk at Union Transfer 9/24/13

Postby scannest » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:29 pm

gregpolard wrote:Speaking of TV performances, I can never find a good Mats on SNL one.

People have gotten better at hiding the reference to the show, which is what gets it yanked.
Try this:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6yi55 ... ding_music
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:29 pm

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:Who gives a shit about the time frame? Let me break it down for you, Captain Contrarian.

Are you talking to me or Greg, cuz he threw out the time frame.
He also wrote "This Superchunk clip and the Bob Mould clips when they were doing the "Silver Age" rounds are some of the best I've ever seen on TV."
Which means he A) actually meant the best of a certain recent vintage (he says 5 years, I proposed a month) or B) he just hasn't seen enough awesome TV stuff (like the examples Hunter provided).
Or (Or), he just likes to call things the best ever a lot.

This thread is the best ever.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:31 pm

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Speaking of TV performances, I can never find a good Mats on SNL one.

People have gotten better at hiding the reference to the show, which is what gets it yanked.
Try this:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6yi55 ... ding_music

Thank you. You're the best, Sal :)
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:33 pm

All jokes aside, I did not mean for this thread to take this negative turn. xxxHunterxxx I want to go on record as apologizing for my overreaction to your good natured ribbing. As most can attest, I think 90% of the time I take it pretty well here on the internets. One of those days, I suppose!
gregpolard

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:26 pm

gregpolard wrote:All jokes aside, I did not mean for this thread to take this negative turn. xxxHunterxxx I want to go on record as apologizing for my overreaction to your good natured ribbing. As most can attest, I think 90% of the time I take it pretty well here on the internets. One of those days, I suppose!

No problem at all. I find your unbridled enthusiasm refreshing.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby matt » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:58 pm

gregpolard wrote:All jokes aside, I did not mean for this thread to take this negative turn. xxxHunterxxx I want to go on record as apologizing for my overreaction to your good natured ribbing. As most can attest, I think 90% of the time I take it pretty well here on the internets. One of those days, I suppose!

Yeah, well FUCK YOU, Greg!

;)
matt
Site Admin

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:26 pm

matt wrote:

;)

:bag: :bag: :bag:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:03 pm

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:Who gives a shit about the time frame? Let me break it down for you, Captain Contrarian.

Are you talking to me or Greg, cuz he threw out the time frame.
He also wrote "This Superchunk clip and the Bob Mould clips when they were doing the "Silver Age" rounds are some of the best I've ever seen on TV."
Which means he A) actually meant the best of a certain recent vintage (he says 5 years, I proposed a month) or B) he just hasn't seen enough awesome TV stuff (like the examples Hunter provided).
Or (Or), he just likes to call things the best ever a lot.

I should've read it more carefully then since I thought you (scannnest) threw out the time frame. My points remains the same, though. I just don't get why it's cool or funny to make fun of Greg's (or my own) unbridled enthusiasm and regardless, what does it matter? Are those performances not great? Why does there have be a ranking? It's all in the eye (and ear) of the beholder anyway. I just don't understand the purpose of the nitpickiness here (pot kettle black, I know, but still...).
JGJR

Postby john stabb » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:56 am

You think those clips are something special :?: You never saw G.I. on "What's On?" in Manhattan :!: The same local cable access channel that showed Robin Byrd's nude talk show. And we managed to keep our clothes on, baby :!: :P
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby john stabb » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:59 am

GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby gregpolard » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:23 am

I saw this a couple years ago and my mind was blown then and it is still blown now. hahah!
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:24 am

matt wrote:

;)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:19 am

JGJR wrote: I just don't get why it's cool or funny to make fun of Greg's (or my own) unbridled enthusiasm...

Cool doesn't enter it. I just think it's funny. It reminds me of one of my favorite Simpsons jokes of all-time - Otto sees Mrs. Krabappel in her wedding dress and says, "Mrs. K - you look awesome!" She gets all flustered and sweetly thanks him. And then he turns around and says "That dog looks awesome!" and (staring at the sky) "That cloud looks awesome!"
I also have a friend who she gushes about how much she loves my band, how terrific we are, etc. And of course I like this. But then the next time I see her she'll tell me how "awesome" the new Queers record is or how "awesome" the 3rd Partridge Family album is and it makes me wonder... I mean, the worst thing I've ever heard her say about a band is "they were okay."
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:22 am

haha! Love the Simpsons reference.

My rationale has always been this. I'd much rather talk about the stuff I like than the stuff I don't. There's actually a lot of stuff, musically or otherwise, that I don't like, but I'd rather not waste my time. I know there's a lot of people on the board who seem to talk more about what they don't like than what they do, but that's just not me.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:37 am

gregpolard wrote:

I saw this a couple years ago and my mind was blown then and it is still blown now. hahah!

I don't think I'd ever seen this before. Thanks, John! It's great to see it, but I do wish there was a better looking and sounding video of this performance out there.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:39 am

gregpolard wrote:haha! Love the Simpsons reference.

My rationale has always been this. I'd much rather talk about the stuff I like than the stuff I don't. There's actually a lot of stuff, musically or otherwise, that I don't like, but I'd rather not waste my time. I know there's a lot of people on the board who seem to talk more about what they don't like than what they do, but that's just not me.

This. There's a ton of stuff I dislike (Greg, you'll appreciate this: I remember Ben Weasel saying that he hated 90% of all music at some point in the '90s; maybe in an MRR column or in Jersey Beat or something; I could definitely relate somewhat at that age though now I'm much more open-minded!), but I'd rather just ignore it. That is my philosophy as a critic and a member/poster of this board. Of course, at times I'll diverge from this if I have a point to make on a thread, but generally speaking that's how I roll.
Last edited by JGJR on Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:47 am

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote: I just don't get why it's cool or funny to make fun of Greg's (or my own) unbridled enthusiasm...

Cool doesn't enter it. I just think it's funny. It reminds me of one of my favorite Simpsons jokes of all-time - Otto sees Mrs. Krabappel in her wedding dress and says, "Mrs. K - you look awesome!" She gets all flustered and sweetly thanks him. And then he turns around and says "That dog looks awesome!" and (staring at the sky) "That cloud looks awesome!"
I also have a friend who she gushes about how much she loves my band, how terrific we are, etc. And of course I like this. But then the next time I see her she'll tell me how "awesome" the new Queers record is or how "awesome" the 3rd Partridge Family album is and it makes me wonder... I mean, the worst thing I've ever heard her say about a band is "they were okay."

Please don't take this personally, but you seem to be oddly fearful of positive reinforcement or reaction judging from the above. It's as if because you don't like the new Queers record or whatever, that you think what she's really saying is that you suck. Now, I kind of get that because frankly, I suck at taking compliments/praise and I'm trying to get better at it, but honestly WTF is wrong with liking things? I mean, I think I get where you're coming from.I had a good friend in 9th and 10th grade who was admittedly not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but was an incredibly and relentlessly positive person (possibly the most jovial/positive person I have ever met) and he would never, ever say anything bad about a band or artist.

The worst I remember him saying was him not comprehending why I liked Jane's Addiction so much at the time as he thought "Been Caught Stealing" was a blanket endorsement of shoplifting (again, not the sharpest knife in the drawer) and he didn't really see the humor of it/the video, etc. He was a true innocent/naif and those folks are rarer and rarer in this world (at least, I think). Anyway, it was hard to trust his opinions on musical releases for that reason (though he turned me on to some cool stuff in my classic rock and hard rock/metal days when I was 14 or so), but despite appearances here, I have always been a hyper-critical mofo. I just don't show that side here too often (unless the nitpickiness you have rightly pointed out counts).

Incidentally, this friend was very instrumental in me meeting J Robbins (to tie this in with the GI video) a few years after that, but that's another (long) story in and of itself. I haven't seen him since, though. :(
Last edited by JGJR on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:59 am

gregpolard wrote: I know there's a lot of people on the board who seem to talk more about what they don't like than what they do, but that's just not me.

OH, oh, now who could this be possibly fucking be???????

edit- :bag:
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby gregpolard » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:16 am

yourenotevil wrote:
gregpolard wrote: I know there's a lot of people on the board who seem to talk more about what they don't like than what they do, but that's just not me.

Not only are you not evil, you're also not alone.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:21 am

gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

He thinks he's evil, but he's not. :lol:
JGJR

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:25 am

gregpolard wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:

no offense was taken, which is why the baguette icon was added.

i'll paraphrase beavis and butthead:
it'd be cool if they just had the cool channel.
but what would you do with the other 397 channels?
you know all of those shows that suck? you can't put em on the cool channel.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby FormerLurker » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:19 am

What's this baguette thing?
FormerLurker

Postby earthdog70 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:09 am

This thread had become almost Freudian, I think Scannest should be laying on a couch while he reads this :lol:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Previous

Return to daghouse