Dio-The Hologram

Dio-The Hologram

Postby earthdog70 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:02 pm

Earthpuppy and I just watched this. He said it was "cool". What do you all think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8BeWAhzBd8

:twisted:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Re: Dio-The Hologram

Postby Mark T. » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:39 pm

I liked it at first, them meh.
Projeckt Daghouse:
PDIV - Thousand Days - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVX7w2iNIfw
Mark T.

Postby SamDBL » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:02 am

Neat. But eerie. So what is it.. cgi? That's what makes it weird looking for me. CGI still hasn't progressed to where it looks completely realistic. So not only is it the voice of a dead guy that everyone is listening to.. but it's also a somewhat organic looking robot they are looking at. It just looks kind of horror movie-esque, to me. I like the idea, I guess. But I won't be totally on board until is a full three dimensional hologram that doesn't require a screen that can move about the stage totally normally and looks indistiguishable form the real thing. In which case, it'll be even more horror movie type vibe. But cooler. Seriously, one theory of ghosts (for whoever believes in that shit) is some sort of psychic imprint left behind that can't actually interact. So if these things become totally real, we would actually be creating ghosts in every sense of the word. It would be really fucking creepy to have it staring at you in the audience knowing that it's an animated dead person.

I'm still totally on board with a GG one, though.
SamDBL

Postby jaybird » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:47 am

SamDBL wrote:Neat. But eerie. So what is it.. cgi? That's what makes it weird looking for me. CGI still hasn't progressed to where it looks completely realistic. So not only is it the voice of a dead guy that everyone is listening to.. but it's also a somewhat organic looking robot they are looking at. It just looks kind of horror movie-esque, to me. I like the idea, I guess. But I won't be totally on board until is a full three dimensional hologram that doesn't require a screen that can move about the stage totally normally and looks indistiguishable form the real thing. In which case, it'll be even more horror movie type vibe. But cooler. Seriously, one theory of ghosts (for whoever believes in that shit) is some sort of psychic imprint left behind that can't actually interact. So if these things become totally real, we would actually be creating ghosts in every sense of the word. It would be really fucking creepy to have it staring at you in the audience knowing that it's an animated dead person.

Isn't it just an isolated film clip and vocal track of RJD projected against a glass screen or whatever? I'm pretty sure that's how they did the Tupac hologram set at Coachella a few years ago. I don't think there's really any CGI animation happening
jaybird

Postby Gary » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:19 pm

Absolutely zero appeal.

And I like a lot of Dio.
Gary

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:18 pm

I guess if yer at Wacken, it a cool sentiment. For me, I've seen RJD many times solo and with HEAVEN AND HELL in person. I'd rather watch the many bootlegs or filmed performances on You Tube and let my memories of RJD stay with that.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby SamDBL » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:15 am

jaybird wrote:
SamDBL wrote:Neat. But eerie. So what is it.. cgi? That's what makes it weird looking for me. CGI still hasn't progressed to where it looks completely realistic. So not only is it the voice of a dead guy that everyone is listening to.. but it's also a somewhat organic looking robot they are looking at. It just looks kind of horror movie-esque, to me. I like the idea, I guess. But I won't be totally on board until is a full three dimensional hologram that doesn't require a screen that can move about the stage totally normally and looks indistiguishable form the real thing. In which case, it'll be even more horror movie type vibe. But cooler. Seriously, one theory of ghosts (for whoever believes in that shit) is some sort of psychic imprint left behind that can't actually interact. So if these things become totally real, we would actually be creating ghosts in every sense of the word. It would be really fucking creepy to have it staring at you in the audience knowing that it's an animated dead person.

Isn't it just an isolated film clip and vocal track of RJD projected against a glass screen or whatever? I'm pretty sure that's how they did the Tupac hologram set at Coachella a few years ago. I don't think there's really any CGI animation happening

I thought that as well. It might be the case. But to me, this one looks like it had at least some cgi clean up done to expressions and what not. The tupac didn't look like this to me. I could be imagining it. But it would kind of make sense that maybe they didn't have perfect, angled footage with perfect lighting all the way through and no cutaways, etc. Especially if this lasted for more than one song? Some of the movement seemed weird. As well as a couple of the close ups. But yeah, the vibe of these things so far seems to be like a band playing in front of a movie screen. Call me when they have actual 3D holograms that need no projection surface and can run around all areas of the stage.
SamDBL

Postby JoeR » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:24 am

JoeR

Return to daghouse