dinosaur jr "give a glimpse of what your'e not"

dinosaur jr "give a glimpse of what your'e not"

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:15 pm

just bought this on blue vinyl yesterday from Amoeba. What can I say? It sounds like typical DinoJr and it sounds good.
^v^
WrEtcH

Re: dinosaur jr "give a glimpse of what your'e not"

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:10 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:45 pm

I agree completely with your review, but I'd give it an 8 instead. this is probably because I haven't heard them since "farm" and hearing the new album reminded me how much I appreciate them and kinda unintentionally ignored them on follow up releases after the aforementioned.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:50 pm

WrEtcH wrote:

I agree completely with your review, but I'd give it an 8 instead. this is probably because I haven't heard them since "farm" and hearing the new album reminded me how much I appreciate them and kinda unintentionally ignored them on follow up releases after the aforementioned.

I rarely give anything above an 8, so a 7.5 is still a very good review (generally speaking). But yeah, I think this is better than both Farm and I Bet on Sky. It's a return to the style of Beyond except that Lou's songs are way better (and my favorite songs on the record).
JGJR

Postby earthdog70 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:53 pm

Will be picking this up soon. Excellent review JGJR.

I did get tickets to see them play the day after Turkey Day with Buffalo Tom at HOB Boston :mrgreen:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby scannest » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:58 am

I like the new record, but my response has been the same to all their 'comeback' records: 2-3 terrific songs, 2-3 good ones and the rest are fine but not particularly memorable. I agree that the Lou tunes are very good (love his voice).
I saw their record release show last Friday. It was good, but they were kinda under-rehearsed on some of the new ones. J. played a Telecaster on 2 new ones (the 'crunchy' ones) and an electric 12-string on another one. I don't know if I've ever seen him play anything other than a Jaguar or Jazzmaster.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:49 pm

earthdog70 wrote:Will be picking this up soon. Excellent review JGJR.

I did get tickets to see them play the day after Turkey Day with Buffalo Tom at HOB Boston :mrgreen:

Thank you, edog.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:50 pm

scannest wrote:I like the new record, but my response has been the same to all their 'comeback' records: 2-3 terrific songs, 2-3 good ones and the rest are fine but not particularly memorable. I agree that the Lou tunes are very good (love his voice).
I saw their record release show last Friday. It was good, but they were kinda under-rehearsed on some of the new ones. J. played a Telecaster on 2 new ones (the 'crunchy' ones) and an electric 12-string on another one. I don't know if I've ever seen him play anything other than a Jaguar or Jazzmaster.

I'm planning on seeing them here in November. I hope they're more rehearsed by then.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:44 am

I haven't bought a Dinosaur Jr record since Without a Sound. Is there anything essential after that? It seems like J's playing got a lot more conventional at some point, and the bits I've heard from the reunion records don't really sound like the Dinosaur Jr I love.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:21 am

version sound wrote:I haven't bought a Dinosaur Jr record since Without a Sound. Is there anything essential after that?

The only Dino Jr record I'd called essential is YLAOM. I think it's the only one THEY would call essential. But if you actually like the band there is plenty to enjoy throughout their catalog.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby danny » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:17 am

version sound wrote:I haven't bought a Dinosaur Jr record since Without a Sound. Is there anything essential after that? It seems like J's playing got a lot more conventional at some point, and the bits I've heard from the reunion records don't really sound like the Dinosaur Jr I love.

farm is quite good.
danny

Postby version sound » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:51 am

danny wrote:
version sound wrote:I haven't bought a Dinosaur Jr record since Without a Sound. Is there anything essential after that? It seems like J's playing got a lot more conventional at some point, and the bits I've heard from the reunion records don't really sound like the Dinosaur Jr I love.

farm is quite good.

That's the one J ranked highest of the reunion records.

http://m.noisey.vice.com/en_uk/blog/rank-your-records-dinosaur-jr-j-mascis
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:07 pm

My favorites are the debut, Green Mind and Bug, pretty much in that order, but I can see why others go for YLAOM.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:33 pm

JGJR wrote:My favorites are the debut, Green Mind and Bug, pretty much in that order, but I can see why others go for YLAOM.

YLAOM and Bug are my favorites. You can really hear the roots of MBV and Swervedriver in those two.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:55 pm

version sound wrote:YLAOM and Bug are my favorites. You can really hear the roots of MBV and Swervedriver in those two.

Very true; Mascis and Mould don't get enough credit for basically inventing that shoegaze guitar sound. I think Beyond and the new one are the best of the reunion records.
JGJR

Return to daghouse