Dag UK

Dag UK

Postby Nico » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:41 am

Anyone attending any of the shows?
Nico

Re: Dag UK

Postby Welly » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:38 am

Last edited by Welly on Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby wALLton » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:58 pm

Rebellion, Birmingham and Bristol. You?
wALLton

Postby Nico » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:38 pm

Just the London show, I wanted to go to a show on Saturday, since I could drive there Saturday morning and leave Sunday morning. But Saturday is weirdly enough a day off for Dag.
So flying in on Wednesday and leaving Thursday morning is the only option for me, since I can't take days off anymore.
Nico

Postby Gary » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:39 am

I am not attending the Dag Nasty Great Britain tour.
Gary

Postby Rich27 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:47 am

Nico wrote:Anyone attending any of the shows?

Me. Bristol.
Rich27

Postby dude munhoz » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:37 am

Staring at the rude boys cover would be nice in the u.k.
dude munhoz

Postby Nico » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:34 am

I think during the soundcheck they played Never Surrender by the Blitz. That would be fun too.
Nico

Postby wALLton » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:03 am

So yeah, Dag Nasty made the trip across the Atlantic to play a few shows in the UK around their Rebellion Festival appearance, so obviously there was no way I was going to miss catching them, seeing as I had JUST missed out when they last played Toronto touring Wig Out (at least I don’t THINK they played live in Toronto after that tour, but I could be wrong and somehow still missed it). I was already going to see them at Rebellion before the extra dates were added, and so I figured with the announcement of the min-tour I’d better see them as many times as I could just in case I never get the chance to see them ever again, hence the Dag Nasty “Stalker” mini-tour was born. A friend of mine flew over from Toronto to go to the fest, and so I dragged him along to the extra Dag dates as well. Dag Nasty played the last day of Rebellion on the Sunday, followed by my “back yard” on the Monday in Birmingham, and then Bristol (just over an hour away) on the Tuesday. They played their last date in London on the Wednesday before flying back, but I didn’t want to appear TOO keen, ha-ha.

I’m no music writer, so I’m not even going to attempt any kind of gig review, but they were great. I’d heard many people saying they’d have preferred seeing either Foxton or Cischord fronting the band on this tour, but Shawn brought a ferocity that only Shawn can bring, and personally I would have been happy seeing any incarnation of the band at this point. They did not disappoint. Super tight (so long as we don’t mention their cover of Rude Boys at Rebellion which for whatever reason completely fell apart, which at the time was quite comical considering I’d just seen The Ruts play it perfectly the night before) and they all gave off the appearance of being super stoked to be playing together again. I knew I was going to see them three times, so positioned myself accordingly, between Shawn and Brian on the first night at Rebellion (to jump around, scream along and take only a few photos) and then in front of Roger in Birmingham (more photos, a couple of videos), and then in front of Brian for my last night seeing them so I could record the entire Bristol performance for posterity. Yeah, yeah, I know, people with phones, but I just held it near the barrier and didn’t obstruct anyone’s view, and figured it’d be great to have for future enjoyment and maybe some people who may never get the chance to see them (like ME, until now) might like to check it out.

Some of the bands I saw:

REBELLION

Day 1 – Evil Blizzard, CJ Ramone (+ Nick Oliveri guest vocals on Endless Vacation), FLAG, TSOL, The Descendents

Surprise of the day was Youth Man on the Introductory stage, and it turns out they are even local to me so will be keeping a close eye out for future shows and releases. Do yourself a favour:

https://youthman.bandcamp.com/music

Day 2 – Reagan Youth, Giuda, Discharge, The Dictators, The Weirdos, The Buzzcocks, The Exploited

Another surprise on the Introductory stage was X-Ray Eyes from Leeds. Picked up a CD as they sounded amazing live, and from the crowd around their little merch table I think the rest of the crowd thought so too. Definitely worth checking out:

https://thexrayeyes.bandcamp.com/

Day 3 – CH3, JFA, MDC, The Ruts DC and Jello Biafra interview

Day 4 – Dave Dictor interview, The Adolescents, Dag Nasty, Jello Biafra & The Guantanamo School of Medicine, Stiff Little Fingers, The Adicts

Surprise of the day for me was this goth-punk band (who I’ve just found out are from London) called Healthy Junkies. If interested you can check them out here:

https://healthyjunkies.bandcamp.com/releases

So it was great to finally be able to cross Dag Nasty off of my bucket list. I did pull off seeing both Roger and Colin in Alloy in ’92, and then Dave in Down By Law (with Colin playing drums) in a small club in the Toronto suburbs in ‘93 where the encore consisted of a mini Dag Nasty set which was pretty great. And then earlier this year I finally caved and saw BB play in Bad Religion here in Birmingham, even though I wouldn’t really consider myself a Bad Religion fan, so I guess I’ve slowly been collecting band members not knowing if I’d ever get the chance to see them all play my favourite songs together in a room at the same time (until now that is). Back in ‘93/’94 I even remember chatting to Colin and going a little fanboy on him, being an aspiring punk rock drummer at the time, and asked him if I could have one of his drum sticks, ha-ha. Then as now he was totally cool with me bending his ear, and happily handed me the very sticks he’d just played the show with which at the time blew my little teenage mind. Funnily enough I related this story to him in Birmingham, and he said he’d give me a new one as he was curious to know if he’d been using the same brand of sticks for the last 20-odd years. He hasn’t, ha-ha. So that was fun, having Colin hand me another stick 23 years later at the end of the Birmingham show, but unfortunately my mate wanted to get back home early that night and I obliged him (it had been a tiring week for these aging punk rockers, ha-ha) knowing I’d likely be able to sneak in more of a conversation in Bristol the next night. Dag Nasty seemed even better in Birmingham than they had been at Rebellion, but that might just have been down to the smaller “intimate” club atmosphere and the newfound proximity to the band in comparison to the distance between the band and the barrier outside in Blackpool. Rude Boys was in the encore, and they got it spot on this time. ;)

I wasn’t even sure I had brought the sticks Colin had given me back in Canada 23 years earlier over to the UK, but I had a bit of a dig around and managed to find them. I’d exchanged a few messages with Colin on Facebook thanking him for the stick, apologizing for not sticking around after to thank him in person, and mentioning I’d found the others from way back in the day, and he replied asking me to bring them in so he could sign them for me which was pretty cool (still a fanboy all these years later). I figured I’d also bring along the new 7 inch sleeve to see if I could get the band to sign it (and spread out the fanboy love, ha-ha). I traipsed my Canuck friend around Oxford the next day doing the tourist thing, and then travelled along to Bristol to catch Dag Nasty on their second last night of the tour. Colin was great to seek me out and sign my sticks and sleeve after setting up his kit, having a good look at the ones from ’93 (which were thinner and a “full tip shorter”) and then mentioning he’d talk to the rest of the band to ask about signing my 7 inch sleeve after the show. Another blistering set (performing all the same songs, but I think occasionally in a different order throughout the tour) and again the whole band totally getting into it and appearing like they were having a blast on stage. After the encore performance BB disappeared stage right to hop right on the tour bus to cool off, while the other three exited stage left and hung around to chat with the punters. Shawn was great and came straight up to me, shook my hand and thanked me for the support. We talked a little about Red Hare and how he hoped to bring them over to play one day, as they were either just finishing up (or had finished up) the recording of the next full length. During one of Brian’s tuning brakes in Birmingham the night before I’d shouted out to Shawn asking whether he planned on bringing Red Hare across, but as he started to talk about them BB piped in saying he shouldn’t be talking about his wife while currently playing with his mistress, ha-ha. Yep, that’s BB for ya. ;) So yeah, hopefully that tour could come to fruition one day, but if not at least there is a new release in the pipeline to look forward to.

After chatting to Shawn in Bristol I then talked to Roger for quite a long time, about his secret Facebook persona, Alloy, playing bass again after several years away, Dave’s current Dag Nasty set tour and the issues between Dave and other members of the band, their decision to work with Shawn and whether Cischord was considered for a new album/tour, and the fact that Brian has a number of songs ready to go and that they were all really enjoying playing together and that hopefully a full length release would be likely. That would be GREAT! BB never reappeared after boarding the bus, but Roger was cool enough to take my sleeve on board to acquire the final signature I needed to complete the set, catching him with his pants off apparently (T.M.I.).

So the last thing I needed to do was find Colin to thank him again for the extra effort he’d put in to paste the gigantic smile on this 44 year old fanboy’s face, ha-ha, take a few photos with Colin and Roger and then head back home for the four hours sleep I’d get before having to drop my friend off at the airport for his trip back to Toronto. A perfect end to the Dag Nasty stalker mini-tour, and hopefully they will go against their own advice to “Never Go Back” and return one day before another 23 years passes. Whether they decide to return or not, I’ll still have the drum sticks should Colin ever feel the irresistible need to present me with an updated version. ☺

Here are the vids I shot of the complete Bristol show in case you wanted to check them out. I was too close to shoot in landscape mode, otherwise you’d have just seen a bunch of heads or guitars or a mix of the two, but it seemed to work out pretty well sound wise and the video quality is decent enough for a phone shoot. If you look at my other vids there are a few from Birmingham as well as some FLAG vids from Rebellion as well. I planned to grab a few of the Descendents, but I was right in front of Stephen for that gig and the constant movement of the crowd behind would have produced the shakiest, blurriest videos ever, ha-ha. Enjoy!

wALLton

Postby wALLton » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:46 am

A few pics:

Who you gonna call?

+ Encore of Rude Boys and Never Go Back

FANBOY!

Fanboy Stuff
wALLton

Postby matt » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:26 am

Super rad!!!
matt
Site Admin

Postby scannest » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:48 am

Yeah, this is great. Thanks for sharing so much.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby Hal » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:12 am

EPIC posts wALLton! Thanks!
Hal

Postby pedro » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:17 am

I guess they are still working on the BMO cover.

I would love to hear them do "Cauldron of Fright".
Last edited by pedro on Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello.
pedro

Postby rawpowerNZ » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:17 pm

Ex review! Fan boy or not, that's why I read this site. Now, just waiting for Wellys review?
rawpowerNZ

Postby Welly » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Last edited by Welly on Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby wALLton » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:53 pm

Welly wrote:Right on cue...

Been meaning to post, but the internet does my nut in these days. Looks like we caught similar sets...

Me:

FLAG (life affirming shit)
TSOL (holy shit)
DESCENDENTS (oh fucking yes)
(what's left of) REAGAN YOUTH
SUBHUMANS (like thirty years never happened)
DISCHARGE (enormous door, slamming, depths of hell)
WEIRDOS (finally!)
CRAVATS (mental)
PETER HOOK (Joy Division Set in the 'Opera House' - never seen anything like it)
INTERROBANG (Sleaford Chumbas)
CH3 (never fail)
CULTURE SHOCK (like thirty years never happened)
JFA (fucking yes!)
ANGELIC UPSTARTS (red flags flying)
DAMNED (absolutely unfuckingbelievable)
JELLO INTERVIEW (they had to drag him off)
THE SYSTEM (in a local boozer)
ADOLESCENTS (never fail)
DAG NASTY (fucking amazing even in the rain)
JELLO BIAFRA AND GSM (stage diving to 'Riot' at his age)

I also caught YOUTH MAN who were good, and a few other things.

Nice selection, there were a few conflicts so sacrifices had to be made. I really wanted to see The Damned but my mate had never seen The Buzzcocks (which I had seen recently) but I figured they play quite a bit around the UK (including their 40th anniversary shows this year) so will catch them sometime soon. The interviewer mentioned the name Trump and Jello just went with it, ha-ha. I'm glad they dragged him off, not because he isn't a great speaker but because I was so tired I was practically falling asleep, ha-ha. Also wished I could see Peter Hook's Joy Division set out of curiosity, but again it clashed, and cut the TSOL set short to ensure a front row position for The D'ents. The fest overall was great fun, my mate told me to keep an eye on the lineup for next year and if it's decent enough he'll come back. I guess I may have even seen you Welly, but would not have recognised you having no idea what you look like. I was going to suggest meeting up, but figured you may have wanted to maintain your tough guy internet persona, ha-ha. I was about to say that may change if I make it down for the Ripcord show in October, but have just seen it's listed as "sold out"?!? D'oh! Guest list? :)
wALLton

Postby creature » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:49 pm

Love it! cheers
creature

Postby SamDBL » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:53 pm

Excellent post! Looks like it was a ton of fun.
SamDBL

Postby Welly » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:14 am

Last edited by Welly on Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby wALLton » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:21 pm

Nah, I can read, Peter Hook's set clashed with someone else we wanted to see, just can't remember who. I know there was 30 minutes between TSOL and The Descendents but I wasn't chancing not getting in to see the D'ents. The organisers made a point of saying if capacity was reached then you could be refused, and I know a few other people that left TSOL early for that very reason. I guess it worked out ok, but I was ok with leaving early to get up to the front for The Descendents.

Emoticons might be helpful to soften your perceived image. :bag:

Too bad about Ripcord. I didn't even see where you could buy tickets so had no idea it could actually sell out this far in advance. Oh well... :?
wALLton

Postby Welly » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:42 am

Welly

Return to daghouse