WrEtcH

Re: Milo ranks the DENTS discography

Postby bortlicenseplate » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:41 am

All Descendents all the time!

Cool article. Thanks for sharing.
bortlicenseplate

Postby crus » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:53 am

Definitely wouldn't rank them in the same order apart from his no. 1.
crus

Postby gregpolard » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:12 am

I think the list is spot on. #1 and #2 are interchangeable for me, is the only difference.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Gary » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:15 pm

Gary

Postby Jimmy Heartburn » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:58 pm

I agree with #6 and #1. Not sure how I'd rank the rest, but I would put IDWGU higher up for sure. Now the question is, where does the new album rank among them?
My stupid music blog http://melonvillehc.blogspot.ca
Jimmy Heartburn

Postby tango fistula » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:31 pm

Gonna agree with Milo on "Cool to be You"...it always sounded dull to these ears. The "Merican" EP was more concise.
tango fistula

Postby bortlicenseplate » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:26 pm

tango fistula wrote:Gonna agree with Milo on "Cool to be You"...it always sounded dull to these ears. The "Merican" EP was more concise.

Some of those B-sides should have been on the album. "I Quit" is a great song.
bortlicenseplate

Postby gregpolard » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:05 pm

Gary wrote:http://www.avclub.com/article/descendents-milo-aukerman-starting-his-music-caree-239413

Nice! Thanks for sharing.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:37 am

I'd go,
1. MGTC
2.Enjoy
3.Grow Uo
4.Sux
5.ALL
6.CTBY
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby creature » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:40 am

tango fistula wrote:Gonna agree with Milo on "Cool to be You"...it always sounded dull to these ears. The "Merican" EP was more concise.

"Here With Me" is one of my all-time Dents faves.
I can relate, spending tons of time at Hermosa and Manhattan beaches and feeling those thoughts at times.
creature

Postby jaybird » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:51 am

jaybird wrote:NEW OFFICIAL/BINDING DESCENDENTS/ALL ALBUM RANKINGS

1. ALL
2. EVERYTHING SUCKS
3. REVENGE
4. PREZ
5. BREAKING THINGS
6. ENJOY
7. MGTC
8. HYPERCAFFIUM SPAZZINATE
9. PERCOLATER
10. SEZ
11. SAVES
12. MASS NERDER
13. PROBLEMATIC
14. CTBY
15. PUMMEL
16. IDWGU

jaybird

Postby WrEtcH » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:59 am

On CTBY, I agree with Jaybird on another discussion that it's a "grower." Nothing, Anchor, CTBY, Mass, Dry & She Don't Care are solid songs. While I get and understand where Bill was going with One More Day as shown in Filmage, I agree with Milo that he might be off on that song. I agree with Andy that Here With Me is a great song and would have been one of the best songs if it was on CTBY.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby jason powell » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:40 pm

I'd go,
1. Milo Goes to College
2 & 3. Tied: I Don't Want To Grow Up, Everything Sux
4. ALL
5. Enjoy
6. Cool To Be You

Side 2 of IDWGU is perfect, btw. Maybe it doesn't capture the sound of live Descendents perfectly, but:

1. The songs are perfect in part because of the teen-angsty love sickness, and,
2. it has a really cool sort of dream-punk beach boys vibe that I don't think anyone else could have pulled off.

Over all, its nice and bass heavy, like a Wipers record or something, but the dream-punk thing I described above didn't do other songs justice and sounded a little off. The songs on the first side don't work well with it until My World (which definitely does). But then you flip the record over and its gorgeous.
jason powell

Postby The Snake » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:05 am

jason powell wrote:I'd go,
1. Milo Goes to College
2 & 3. Tied: I Don't Want To Grow Up, Everything Sux
4. ALL
5. Enjoy
6. Cool To Be You

Side 2 of IDWGU is perfect, btw. Maybe it doesn't capture the sound of live Descendents perfectly, but:

2. it has a really cool sort of dream-punk beach boys vibe that I don't think anyone else could have pulled off.

Over all, its nice and bass heavy, like a Wipers record or something, but the dream-punk thing I described above didn't do other songs justice and sounded a little off. The songs on the first side don't work well with it until My World (which definitely does). But then you flip the record over and its gorgeous.

I pretty much agree with this. Although, I like the songs of IDWGU on the A side, the B side is what I´d called the perfect blend of power pop and pop punk. In Love This Way is one of my favorite Descendents songs, maybe because it reminds me of The Last which is one of my favorite bands ever.
The Snake

Postby jaybird » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:08 am

jason powell wrote: dream-punk

:?:

Is this actually a real thing now? I'm pretty out of the loop on whatever new sub-genre classifications have cropped up in the last ten years or so.
jaybird

Postby tango fistula » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:38 pm

:bag:
tango fistula

Postby jason powell » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:43 pm

jaybird wrote:

Is this actually a real thing now? I'm pretty out of the loop on whatever new sub-genre classifications have cropped up in the last ten years or so.

I hope not. I made it up.
jason powell

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:04 am

jason powell wrote:
jaybird wrote:

http://freewilldoesnotexist.blogspot.com/2011/06/new-music-genre-dream-punk.html?m=1
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby scannest » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:00 pm

jason powell wrote:Side 2 of IDWGU is perfect, btw. Maybe it doesn't capture the sound of live Descendents perfectly, but:

I've said - if there was a IDWGU shirt that read "SIDE 2" across the back ala those My War t-shirts, I would buy it in a second (Shary, get on this!)
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:01 pm

scannest wrote:
jason powell wrote:Side 2 of IDWGU is perfect, btw. Maybe it doesn't capture the sound of live Descendents perfectly, but:

I've said - if there was a IDWGU shirt that read "SIDE 2" across the back ala those My War t-shirts, I would buy it in a second (Shary, get on this!)

Yo! I back this. Please, Chris ! Haha
gregpolard

Postby aquaman » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:19 pm

Should front be a MILO puppet with a knife? I think I'd like that but with the IDWTGU lettering on the bottom.
aquaman

Postby jason powell » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:33 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
jason powell wrote:
jaybird wrote:

http://freewilldoesnotexist.blogspot.com/2011/06/new-music-genre-dream-punk.html?m=1

HUNTER
jason powell

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:32 pm

scannest wrote:

I would, too, were it not for the fact that "Can't Go Back" is on side 1 (though it sounds like what's on side 2). But yeah, otherwise I'm all about side 2 as well.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:02 pm

JGJR wrote:I would, too, were it not for the fact that "Can't Go Back" is on side 1 (though it sounds like what's on side 2). But yeah, otherwise I'm all about side 2 as well.

It' s not about saying "I don't like Side 1", or even "I prefer Side 2". It's saying "I know a lot of people dislike this, but I really dig it." That's how I've always interpreted the MY WAR - SIDE 2 shirt. When you wear it you're saying, "I know a lot of people draw the line at Side 2 of MY WAR but, goddamn, I love it."
scannest

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:58 pm

scannest wrote:
JGJR wrote:I would, too, were it not for the fact that "Can't Go Back" is on side 1 (though it sounds like what's on side 2). But yeah, otherwise I'm all about side 2 as well.

It' s not about saying "I don't like Side 1", or even "I prefer Side 2". It's saying "I know a lot of people dislike this, but I really dig it." That's how I've always interpreted the MY WAR - SIDE 2 shirt. When you wear it you're saying, "I know a lot of people draw the line at Side 2 of MY WAR but, goddamn, I love it."

But I've never met anyone who disliked Side 2 of IDWGU.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby WrEtcH » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:03 pm

Side 2 of MGTC & IDWTGU, both brilliant
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby crus » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:55 am

I'm missing out on something due to only ever playing one side of the CD.
crus

Postby scannest » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:59 am

xxxHunterxxx wrote:But I've never met anyone who disliked Side 2 of IDWGU.

Over the years I've heard it referred to as soft and weak and...umm, "pussy". Certainly knuckleheads who worship MGtC loathe it. The fact that the Descendents NEVER play any of it live ever (with one glaring exception) tells me they don't dig it at all.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:01 am

scannest wrote:

I like side 1 of both of those records a lot, too, FWIW.

But as for your point, when I hear My War or IDWTGU discussed, there are MANY folks who seem to really like side 2 of both of those records, so honestly I'm not sure how accurate that really is. So therefore, I never interpreted the shirt or that sentiment in that way, but rather as in like "side 2 of My War is just the best" or something along those lines. I came around on side 2 of MW within the last decade or so whereas I vastly preferred side 1 of it as a kid. But I've always loved side 2 of IDWTGU.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:02 am

scannest wrote:

Over the years I've heard it referred to as soft and weak and...umm, "pussy". Certainly knuckleheads who worship MGtC loathe it. The fact that the Descendents NEVER play any of it live ever (with one glaring exception) tells me they don't dig it at all.

I wish they would, but I think it's more that the segment of their audience that you described doesn't dig it and the songs may not work as well in a larger club or festival setting?
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:03 am

But whatevs. It's some of the best stuff they ever did. I have a friend with very similar taste to my own who's a massive fan and his favorite Descendents song is "Ace."
JGJR

Postby aquaman » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:26 am

scannest wrote:

Christmas Vacation and Good Good Things were set staples for a while, maybe up to Everything Sux, but now there's just too many tunes to choose from. I don't think it's a matter of "digging" them.
aquaman

Postby JGJR » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:43 am

aquaman wrote:
scannest wrote:

Christmas Vacation and Good Good Things were set staples for a while, maybe up to Everything Sux, but now there's just too many tunes to choose from. I don't think it's a matter of "digging" them.

That's what I think, too. I just wish they'd put them back into their set.
JGJR

Postby scannest » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:08 pm

aquaman wrote:Christmas Vacation and Good Good Things were set staples for a while, maybe up to Everything Sux, but now there's just too many tunes to choose from. I don't think it's a matter of "digging" them.

Excuse me, professor Braniac.
scannest

Postby tango fistula » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:34 pm

How bout this....

They can get rid of the bathroom break songs "Van" and "All-o-Gistics" and put the rest of side 2 that isn't "Silly Girl" of IDWGU in the set.

Yes look at how clever and jazzy they are....we get it. Dump those snoozers
and load that set up
tango fistula

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:04 am

tango fistula wrote:How bout this....

They can get rid of the bathroom break songs "Van" and "All-o-Gistics" and put the rest of side 2 that isn't "Silly Girl" of IDWGU in the set.

I back this or even better add "Get the Time" and "Cheer" or "Cameage" or "Pep Talk" or "Can't Go Back."
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:06 am

What's funny is I saw another interview somewhere where he admits that All-O-Gistics is a total "hallraker" song and that most people leave during it and the enthusiasm wanes...they must REALLY like playing it hahaha
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:07 am

gregpolard wrote:What's funny is I saw another interview somewhere where he admits that All-O-Gistics is a total "hallraker" song and that most people leave during it and the enthusiasm wanes...they must REALLY like playing it hahaha

It does give him an excuse to bring his kids onstage, though, to hold up the signs and what not. I do like that part of it.
JGJR

Postby neutral knieval » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:21 pm

1. milo goes to college
2. all
3. enjoy
4. i don't want to grow up
5. tied between all the reunion ones. theyre all devoid of the quirkiness i used to like and seem forced when they approach it. same with post-reynolds, and pre-reynolds all
neutral knieval

Postby neutral knieval » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:25 pm

also, van is a better song than anything i've heard from the new era
neutral knieval

Postby tango fistula » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:34 am

"Doghouse" kicks "Van"'s ass and takes it's lunch money and buys a Jolt cola...
tango fistula

Postby SamDBL » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:03 pm

neutral knieval wrote:5. tied between all the reunion ones. theyre all devoid of the quirkiness i used to like and seem forced when they approach it. same with post-reynolds, and pre-reynolds all

I thank sweet christ every day that I no longer have to fast forward through half an albums worth of fart themed jazz punk odysseys to get to the poppy brilliance of a Descendents album.

1. Enjoy
2. MGTC tied with ALL
3. All the rest are tied for third place.
SamDBL

Postby Marc M » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:24 pm

SamDBL wrote:
neutral knieval wrote:5. tied between all the reunion ones. theyre all devoid of the quirkiness i used to like and seem forced when they approach it. same with post-reynolds, and pre-reynolds all

I thank sweet christ every day that I no longer have to fast forward through half an albums worth of fart themed jazz punk odysseys to get to the poppy brilliance of a Descendents album.

1. Enjoy
2. MGTC tied with ALL

That is so funny that you say this, because that is EXACTLY what I do when I put in my Prison of Small Perception CD (absolutely no offense intended). I skip all the metal / thrash songs and go right to the pop gems. Hereditary Fault, I Know What You Need, and A Million Miles of Missteps are some of my favorite songs ever!
Marc M

Postby SamDBL » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:11 pm

Marc M wrote:
SamDBL wrote:

1. Enjoy
2. MGTC tied with ALL

That is so funny that you say this, because that is EXACTLY what I do when I put in my Prison of Small Perception CD (absolutely no offense intended). I skip all the metal / thrash songs and go right to the pop gems. Hereditary Fault, I Know What You Need, and A Million Miles of Missteps are some of my favorite songs ever!

Wow, thanks man. I completely understand. And I've actually grown to love a lot of the dents fart themed jazz songs. I think in the past, though... It was always an artistic vs listener experience for me. When I played music, I totally felt the need to play every style of music I was into at the time. But when I would listen to records with a similar approach in my car or whatever... I would constantly find myself thinking 'God damnit, why can't I just have an entire album of songs with one vibe instead of a pop song and then a grind core song and then a reggae song, etc?'. But I felt the exact opposite when playing. Especially in the time period that record came out.
SamDBL

Return to daghouse