"Hypercaffium Spazzinate" + Bonus Elements cd

"Hypercaffium Spazzinate" + Bonus Elements cd

Postby Ed Roach » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:31 am

I'm not going to say anything about the songs as most of you have probably already streamed it. Living in Canada, I was sadly not able to.
Just then, as if 'the hand of God' descended from the heavens, I received a copy of the deluxe version of the cd yesterday afternoon. One of those moments where you wonder, 'there must be a God!'...

Immediately, I did what every one of you would do, I opened that sucker and held back the screams and curses from the pain of stepping on scattered Lego (thanks son) while racing to the stereo. I had a feast of new songs to consume and the new album is certainly an 'ALL-you-can-eat' buffet.
In my opinion the songs are a perfect mix of the best elements of "Everything Sucks" and "Cool To Be You".

As I sat and listened, I poured over the booklet, packaging, etc....and it is excellent!
Housed in a slipcase (I love the 'Table of Elements' theme on the back cover), is a four panel insert holding the disc and lyric booklet (also a separate insert for the 'SpazzHazard' ep)...plenty of real estate for the ever-excellent illustrations by the 'one-and-only' Chris Shary (very well done sir!). On one side of the spread of panels are four of Chris' drawings (these plus the album cover and ep cover, as well as some doodling spread throughout the lyric booklet!) and on the other side, some scientific experiment notes (and a cover letter to a 'Dr. Mooz') from Dr. Milo J. Aukerman, on his discovery of 'Hypercaffium Spazzinate'!

Being this is the first time the Descendents have given the 'deluxe' treatment to an album, if they ever plan to do it again they have their work cut out for them because with this, they've set the bar really high.
I would have to say that they have hit a grand slam, outta the park...'someone better check their car windows in the parking lot' kind of job on it.
Excellent songs and tremendous packaging...album of the year, hands-down.
Ed Roach

Re: "Hypercaffium Spazzinate" + Bonus Elements cd

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:59 am

I can't wait to get my copy of the 12"s

I completely agree too that it's a perfect combo of the best elements of the last two LP's. I haven't stopped listening to the NPR stream since yesterday.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:13 am

Can't believe you guys are supporting the 'dents and their hate speech.

http://stayuplate.org/descendents-spazz-hazard-boycott-new-lp/
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby bortlicenseplate » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:18 pm

Can't wait to get my copy of the deluxe CD in the mail!
bortlicenseplate

Postby earthdog70 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:17 am

I feel like I should take a shower after reading the start of this post :lol:

Should we dim the lights :?:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby FormerLurker » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:37 am

Best record in forever.
FormerLurker

Postby scannest » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:17 am

version sound wrote:Can't believe you guys are supporting the 'dents and their hate speech.

http://stayuplate.org/descendents-spazz-hazard-boycott-new-lp/

my wife tells me the Fall got into a lot of trouble for some reference to "spastics" in a song.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby Gary » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:10 am

Vinyl arrived with me today. So far so good. Not immediate,but sometimes that can be for the better.
Gary

Postby Welly » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:18 pm

Last edited by Welly on Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby NotBaker » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:10 pm

Good stuff. Just downloaded. Might have to put it on my iPod before my run tomorrow. Really, really looking forward to seeing them live now.

One early observation -- I have no idea what the kids today like, but the Descendents still seem to be popular with a younger audience. I wonder if their middle-aged brigade songs of midlife angst will fall flat with the kids.
NotBaker

Postby Gary » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:17 am

Was the spazz hazard 12" only available from Kings Road?
Gary

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:22 am

NotBaker wrote:Good stuff. Just downloaded. Might have to put it on my iPod before my run tomorrow. Really, really looking forward to seeing them live now.

One early observation -- I have no idea what the kids today like, but the Descendents still seem to be popular with a younger audience. I wonder if their middle-aged brigade songs of midlife angst will fall flat with the kids.

They already did with the last LP. Their (the kids) loss!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:53 am

I don't agree that the Descendents are a big deal with "the kids" anymore. The last time they were a big with the kids was when they first came back in '96-'97 and those kids ain't kids anymore.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:03 am

scannest wrote:I don't agree that the Descendents are a big deal with "the kids" anymore. The last time they were a big with the kids was when they first came back in '96-'97 and those kids ain't kids anymore.

Yeah, I agree. And I think they lost even some of those people (who by this point were in their early 20's) when Cool To Be You came out. I love that album, but most of my friends at the time didn't like it at all.
gregpolard

Postby Welly » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:14 pm

Last edited by Welly on Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby scannest » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:33 pm

Welly wrote:But they were listening to the latest xGirlsWithSlitWristsBleedingOutInABathtubx album at that point right?

I was taking a piss at the RFTC show last night and I see a flyer for a band called twenty one pilots playing Madison Square Garden. 2 nights. Both SOLD OUT. They are on Fueled By Ramen, fer chissakes. So I find a video on YouTube with a half-billion views and it is just this mopey, sad-sack shit full of nostalgia for the good ol' days when they were riding big wheels around suburban streets when they were 12. You know, about 10 years ago.
Yikes.
scannest

Postby Welly » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:39 pm

Last edited by Welly on Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:50 pm

Welly wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
scannest wrote:I don't agree that the Descendents are a big deal with "the kids" anymore. The last time they were a big with the kids was when they first came back in '96-'97 and those kids ain't kids anymore.

Yeah, I agree. And I think they lost even some of those people (who by this point were in their early 20's) when Cool To Be You came out. I love that album, but most of my friends at the time didn't like it at all.

But they were listening to the latest xGirlsWithSlitWristsBleedingOutInABathtubx album at that point right?

Got mine. Spinning it again now.

Ace.

Fuck the kids.

No, most of my friends also hate those type bands. One day I'll post something and you'll have something nice to say, maybe.
gregpolard

Postby Jimmy Heartburn » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:26 pm

Welly wrote:
scannest wrote:
Welly wrote:But they were listening to the latest xGirlsWithSlitWristsBleedingOutInABathtubx album at that point right?

I was taking a piss at the RFTC show last night and I see a flyer for a band called twenty one pilots playing Madison Square Garden. 2 nights. Both SOLD OUT. They are on Fueled By Ramen, fer chissakes. So I find a video on YouTube with a half-billion views and it is just this mopey, sad-sack shit full of nostalgia for the good ol' days when they were riding big wheels around suburban streets when they were 12. You know, about 10 years ago.
Yikes.

Christ, this is poor.

Bet RFTC were good though.

Ha, my girlfriend's kid (who just turned 9) loved that song and used to sing along word for word every time it came on the radio. I'm glad he's over it now.
My stupid music blog http://melonvillehc.blogspot.ca
Jimmy Heartburn

Postby Jimmy Heartburn » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:30 pm

gregpolard wrote:

Gotta be honest, I'm not that crazy about CTBY either. It's got a few good songs (like 'Merican & Mass Nerder), but it's my least favourite Dents album. I'm digging the new one, though. Definitely a front runner for album of the year. It's nice to see they added some short fast songs on this one, something that was missing from the last record. I don't know if I'll be able to make the Seattle shows in October. I hope they do a Canadian tour.
My stupid music blog http://melonvillehc.blogspot.ca
Jimmy Heartburn

Postby bortlicenseplate » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:35 am

My deluxe edition copy came in the mail today and I've been listening to it all day. Love the packaging on the deluxe edition.
Last edited by bortlicenseplate on Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bortlicenseplate

Postby matt » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:00 am

scannest wrote:

Yikes.

They're one of Josie's (age 15) favorite bands. She's also part of the Fueled by Ramen street team.
matt
Site Admin

Postby gregpolard » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:06 pm

matt wrote:
scannest wrote:

Yikes.

They're one of Josie's (age 15) favorite bands. She's also part of the Fueled by Ramen street team.

If she gets any extra Fall Out Boy stuff she doesn't want.....
gregpolard

Postby Welly » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:33 am

Last edited by Welly on Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby Welly » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:26 am

Last edited by Welly on Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:31 am

Welly wrote:
gregpolard wrote:No, most of my friends also hate those type bands. One day I'll post something and you'll have something nice to say, maybe.

Joke innit.

One day you might figure that out, maybe.

Maybe
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:34 am

Welly wrote:Here's exactly five hundred words on the new DESCENDENTS record...

https://artcorefanzine.wordpress.com/2016/08/01/descendents-hypercaffium-spazzinate-lp-epitaph/

Very nice review (seriously)
gregpolard

Postby creature » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:36 am

https://artcorefanzine.wordpress.com/2016/08/01/descendents-hypercaffium-spazzinate-lp-epitaph/

Well done!
creature

Postby Gary » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:39 am

It arrived then?
Gary

Postby Welly » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:43 am

Last edited by Welly on Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby Welly » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:34 pm

Last edited by Welly on Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:35 pm

Some of you have already seen it on the FB, but for those who haven't, here's my take on the new record.

http://www.undertheradarmag.com/reviews ... pazzinate/
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:37 pm

Welly wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Very nice review (seriously)

creature wrote:
Well done!

Fanx.

I must concur.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Return to daghouse