DC band called The 5th Day from '85?

DC band called The 5th Day from '85?

Postby FlexMyHead » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:07 pm

Anybody ever heard of them before? I haven't.

---------------------------------

80s-era DC punk band The 5th Day have released their long-lost Evilution EP, recorded in 1985. The album was finally mixed and mastered in 2015 and will be released on vinyl by Dischord Records and digital download via Bandcamp. You can take a listen of the lead track, "One-Way Ticket," below.

http://the5thday.bandcamp.com/
FlexMyHead

Re: DC band called The 5th Day from '85?

Postby obik » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:35 pm

Calling Black Pond "legendary" is a stretch.

And the band is pretty terrible too.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby FlexMyHead » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:05 pm

Yeah, kinda reminds me of Bells Of... demo, but for that I liked 2-3 of the songs (some were obviously not finished vocals/arrangement). I just had not heard of this band or remember seeing them on a flyer or with a mention anyplace. I dunno. Songs didn't catch me either, not sure if the Dischord thing was a joke or what.
FlexMyHead

Postby obik » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:18 pm

Isn't every Dischord release after 1983 a joke?
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby Klores » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:12 pm

Hi,

I'm Lars Klores, the singer for The 5th Day.

Our deal was that we played about 10 small shows in and around Washington, D.C. in 1984 and 1985. Some of these were in people's basements, some were at Community Centers in Northern Virginia. We're listed on the inside back cover of Banned in DC for a show we played with United Mutation and Mission Impossible in 1985.

We were first or second on the bill at these shows but aspired to be bigger, so we went into Black Pond in August 1985 to record an EP. We were happy with it, but didn't have the cash to mix or press it at the time, so the tape sat in my basement for 30 years. Last year, we got Chris Biondo, the original sound engineer, to mix it, and we had it pressed into a limited edition white vinyl 7-inch. I'm not sure why the vocals/arrangement don't sound finished to you. I can tell you that we definitely consider the whole EP a "finished" work, as opposed to a demo. We were careful in the mixing to put it together just as we would have in 1985, without using any modern techniques (other than what we had to in this digital era) and we wanted to retain the raw sound we had on the original recordings.

The EP is distributed by Dischord, not released by Dischord. When we released, I approached Dischord to distribute it, they asked to hear the songs, then agreed to distribute. You can find it on their site here: http://www.dischord.com/release/f-tfd/e ... 3A31+-0400

All the songs are original. "One-Way Ticket" is a bit of a metal parody similar to Minor Threat's "Cashing In" or Tesco Vee's "Dutch Hercules" stuff. The rest are the straight-ahead punk we listened to at the time. We were big into Marginal Man, Husker Du, and the Damned, so that probably comes through.

So, that's the deal. We weren't big, but we were around. We should have put out a record, but we were lame and didn't, until now.

Thanks for your interest. If you have any other questions, please let me know.
Klores

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:14 am

Klores wrote:Hi,

I'm Lars Klores, the singer for The 5th Day.
...I'm not sure why the vocals/arrangement don't sound finished to you. I can tell you that we definitely consider the whole EP a "finished" work, as opposed to a demo...
...The EP is distributed by Dischord, not released by Dischord...

Hey Lars.

Sorry, my posts are often full of typos and/or grammatical errors and are hard to follow in general.

Yeah, kinda reminds me of Bells Of... demo, but for that I liked 2-3 of the songs (some were obviously not finished vocals/arrangement).

I was talking about the similarity of your band's release and the "Bells Of..." demo a 1) DC area band that was 2) recorded in 1985 yet 3) released for the first time last year and was also being 4) distributed by Dischord. That "demo" has songs with parts where words are just mumbled or spoken and sound made up on the spot, not your release that I listened to on Bandcamp, sorry for the confusion. Here is the Bells Of.. demo I'm talking about:

http://www.dischord.com/release/TMS-003/st-36

Like me, I've noticed most music themed websites are also full of errors, typos and just straight up don't fact check, so that is where the "released by Dischord" mistake came from.

Best of luck with the release, must be a little odd to hear feedback on something 31 years later.

For what it's worth "It All Adds Up" was my favorite song and heard the more melodic punk sound/influence that you mentioned.
FlexMyHead

Postby Nico » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:18 am

I am digging it, just not the 10 dollar price tag.
Nico

Postby Klores » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:22 am

FlexMyHead -- Thanks for the clarification on "Bells of..." I wasn't familiar with them, but checked them out on bellsof.com and those old recordings are very cool. Yes, it is odd getting feedback on something 31 years old, but no odder than BEING 31 years older. How the hell that happened I have no idea.

Glad you liked "It All Adds Up." I like that one, too.

Nico -- I'm glad you're digging it. Sorry about the price, but putting this out ourselves was expensive, and everyone from Bandcamp to Dischord takes a cut. It's a five-song 7-inch, and we need to sell them for $10 just to make our money back. The digital download available at https://the5thday.bandcamp.com/ is only $4.

Cheers
Klores

Return to daghouse