ABC No Rio - the final matinee (some photos & old flyers)

ABC No Rio - the final matinee (some photos & old flyers)

Postby captain2man » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:29 pm

So this past Saturday I went to the final ABC No Rio matinee before they bring down the building.

Although I've been a bit detached from that scene for the past few years....the place meant the world to me back in the '90s. My first show there was in March 1992: Assuck, Rorschach, Merel & Sedition (pre-Discordance Axis). It was my introduction to a truly underground scene that I had no idea existed. I became very attracted to that scene and ended up seeing dozens of shows there over the years (and playing there a few times as well with various bands).

My favorite times were when the shows were downstairs, Neil from Tribal War did the sound, and also had a great record distro set up on the first floor where I'd always end up spending my allowance money.

For those who don't know, ABC No Rio has been a community center for much longer than it has hosted hardcore shows, which it's been doing since the late 80s. Up until 10 years ago, the building was owned by the city - which wasn't uncommon of buildings whose owners had essentially abandoned buildings such as these. 10 years ago, the ABC collective bought the building from the city for $1 in exchange for bringing the building up to code. Between 20 years worth of fundraising and a grant from the city - they now have enough money to do this. The building next door is coming down, and the ABC building would never survive that demolition, so the ABC building is coming down too....which I think was the only way they were ever going to really get that building up to code. It's actually pretty amazing the building hadn't already come down on its own.

Anyway - I took a few photos from the day.....and also some photos of a bunch of old ABC flyers they had reprinted (this was only a small percentage of how many flyers they had available to take)....the flyers brought back a lot of great memories.

Photos from the show:

http://imgur.com/a/M7p8i

Flyers:

http://imgur.com/a/ZUiit
captain2man

Re: ABC No Rio - the final matinee (some photos & old flyers

Postby JGJR » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:21 pm

I only went there a few times, but my first show there was a very memorable one. It was Pansy Division with God is My Co-Pilot opening for them in the fall of 1993. I went to see the former but the latter blew me away. I hadn't heard no wave yet (I was 18) and so what they were doing was something I hadn't heard before that point. It was a total mind-blowing experience.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Michele » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:48 pm

never been there, but it was quite a name also down here and it's always a pain to lose such important places for our beloved music
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby BAIN » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:22 pm

Michele wrote:never been there, but it was quite a name also down here and it's always a pain to lose such important places for our beloved music

They are rebuilding a very eco friendly new building / show space in the same location.

They have been taking donations since the 90s for this project.

Honestly I am surprised that it is finally happening.

Between grants and donations it is in the millions.

Would be very easy for them to walk away with huge chunk, but they stuck to their guns and it is happening.
BAIN

Postby Michele » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:09 pm

BAIN wrote:
Michele wrote:never been there, but it was quite a name also down here and it's always a pain to lose such important places for our beloved music

They are rebuilding a very eco friendly new building / show space in the same location.

They have been taking donations since the 90s for this project.

Honestly I am surprised that it is finally happening.

Between grants and donations it is in the millions.

Would be very easy for them to walk away with huge chunk, but they stuck to their guns and it is happening.

totally misunderstood here, was sure they were just closing like the CBGBs
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Return to daghouse