Dag bands doing G.I. covers

Dag bands doing G.I. covers

Postby captain2man » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:04 am

For those not following the "Argument Then War" thread....

John was such a big part of this board and it gave people like me, who grew up worshiping those G.I. records, a chance to interact with him.

We in Too Many Voices have been covering "Hall of Fame" at some recent shows in tribute and Paul's band (Fuck It...I Quit!) covered "Asshole" at a recent show.

Since quite a few of us are in bands, I thought it might be neat to have a thread collecting some G.I. covers. Who knows, maybe we could make a comp out of it...or just leave the thread here for posterity.

Here's a rehearsal recording of Too Many Voices doing "Hall of Fame". It's probably the first time we ever went through the song (and live, we had a friend do the vocals, so Eric was just singing to keep things in place)....maybe we'll do a more formal recording another time...I don't know. (the G.I. shirt I'm wearing in the picture is a happy coincidence).

https://soundcloud.com/jeff-kaplan-4/tw ... l-gi-cover

And here's Fuck It...I Quit! doing "Asshole" at a recent show:

https://soundcloud.com/paulcolucci/fuck ... 16/s-JuZdb
captain2man

Re: Dag bands doing G.I. covers

Postby lewdd » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:25 am

Thanks for starting this thread. I had a similar thought that this goodness was lost in that other thread.
lewdd

Postby The Snake » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:36 pm

Haven´t covered GI so far with any of my bands, but there is this band from Slovenia called Final Approach and few times when they played Plain To See live, I was the guest vocalist. Every time we did the song, it was a great experience and I would go totally off!
The Snake

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:42 pm

World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby earthdog70 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:21 pm

I just got the video of Silver Screams doing "Understand" at our last show, but the lighting wasn't too great.
The audio is good but the whole song was not captured unfortunately.

We are going to do it again (I think) at our next show the end of July. Maybe Lewdd can capture the video from the stream of that one if he is available :idea:
Last edited by earthdog70 on Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby Marc M » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:42 pm

Justice League covered "Sheer Terror" once in New Orleans, 1986. It would be either interesting and/or horrifying to see/hear a recording of it if one existed. Pretty sure most of us had several Hurricanes before that show, as LA was one of the few states where we were of legal drinking age.

There was a band in '85-'86 called Red Is Pretty with former / future JL members Ted, Chris, and John M. They covered "Hall of Fame" at most shows they played (both slow and fast versions).
Marc M

Postby target » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:04 am

Swiz did "familiar" in 2014 at the salad days movie premier party
target

Postby fiestaware » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:25 pm

There's also this, um, tribute...

Very unrelatedly: I've been working on a couple songs off You, but I'm temporarily living in a place where sympathetic collaborating musicians are few/far between. So I might get impatient and just finish them as (terrible-sounding) home demos.
fiestaware

Return to daghouse