New Descendents Toon on Spotify

New Descendents Toon on Spotify

Postby scannest » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:32 am

It may be elsewhere too, but you can listen to "Victim of Me" and check out the new album artwork on Spotify.
Sounds great and over way too soon.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Re: New Descendents Toon on Spotify

Postby WrEtcH » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:28 am

New album is up for preorder on Kings Road
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby jaybird » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:41 am

jaybird

Postby lewdd » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:18 am

No Fat Burger!
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:27 am

WrEtcH wrote:New album is up for preorder on Kings Road

Fuck just dropped $125 on new Descendents stuff and I didn't even get to Asbury Park yet!
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:54 am

Just bought a glow in the dark vinyl version of the LP. Can't wait to watch that spin around in the dark cranked up to 10.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:04 pm

lewdd wrote:
WrEtcH wrote:New album is up for preorder on Kings Road

Fuck just dropped $125 on new Descendents stuff and I didn't even get to Asbury Park yet!

$125? What'd you get 2 different bundles? LOL

New song is great.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:39 pm

Pilster heard the title and predicted that there would be a periodic table involved in the artwork.

I like the orange shirt. I wonder if this will be available at PRB or if they are making special 'Jersey Shore' shirts.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:55 pm

scannest wrote:Pilster heard the title and predicted that there would be a periodic table involved in the artwork.

I like the orange shirt. I wonder if this will be available at PRB or if they are making special 'Jersey Shore' shirts.

I agree. I love that they use a lot of uncommon colors for their shirts. Maybe that's why I have so many haha
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:56 pm

I liked the song, a lot. It was really catchy and sing-songy (which is not new for them) but they had less guitar single note/odd leads and walking (too much?) bass lines, which in this case was a good thing. I wonder if the other songs will be as bare-bones and stripped down catchy stuff as that song or they will go into "All-o-gistic" zone with songs about burping farts etc.

I guess I'm in the minority, I'm gonna pass on the new merch stuff but will grab a blue "classic" Milo.
FlexMyHead

Postby Jimmy Heartburn » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:01 pm

I wish they'd put out more those Vans, I missed out last time. New song doesn't sound bad. I wasn't really feeling their last album, so I hope this one will be better.
My stupid music blog http://melonvillehc.blogspot.ca
Jimmy Heartburn

Postby scannest » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:17 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:I liked the song, a lot. It was really catchy and sing-songy (which is not new for them) but they had less guitar single note/odd leads and walking (too much?) bass lines, which in this case was a good thing. I wonder if the other songs will be as bare-bones and stripped down catchy stuff as that song or they will go into "All-o-gistic" zone with songs about burping farts etc.

I guess I'm in the minority, I'm gonna pass on the new merch stuff but will grab a blue "classic" Milo.

I really like the sound - Milo's voice is terrific, as are the drums and guitars. I actually thought Karl's bass was a little too busy, but I get it - that's what he does. Crazy how they just pull the plug at 1:37. Could have easily gone on for another verse and/or chorus. And ending on that weird minor chord thingy could be retired at this point, but again - that's what they do.

I bought the CD with the bonus tracks. Came to $19 with media mail shipping. To get all toons on vinyl you'd have to buy the LP and the EP which would come to close to $40 with s&h. No thanks.
scannest

Postby norix » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:25 pm

I think Karl's bass is just a little too high in the mix. Song's sick, it's on repeat here.

I think I'm going for the EP shirt and the cd with all the tracks.
norix

Postby earthdog70 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:42 pm

I ordered the deluxe cd since I didn't want to buy 2 records to get all the songs. Plus there is extra Shary artwork in the deluxe edition :mrgreen:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:36 pm

Yes, it sounds as good as it can sound on my laptop speakers.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:57 pm

scannest wrote:...I actually thought Karl's bass was a little too busy, but I get it - that's what he does...

Whelp. When I wrote my first post I was at working listening on my laptop on volume 2. I'm now at home and listening on nice headphones and his bass is actually very loud in the mix and very much walking, not in a TonyAll way, but still it is a bit much, although nobody can do it like him. Song still makes me hit repeat as soon as it's over...
FlexMyHead

Postby aquaman » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:36 pm

Like this a lot. When I first heard it at the Hermosa Beach gig, I thought the guitar intro had a "Frank" feel to it
and made me think of "Like The Way I Know", an outtake from MGTC. Hearing it again, I think confirms it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHp_RWoyg88

Bill likened Stephen's contributions to "I Wanna Be a Bear" like in length
aquaman

Postby lewdd » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:09 pm

Those bass lines seem like I Don't Want To Grow Up era to my ears. I'm not crazy about the intro of the bass early in the song, but it kinda stays behind the scenes to me after that. i'm all in on this band so I was buying it no matter what. and, i am a completist kinda collector which doesn't help my bank account. Looking forward to Sat nite.
lewdd

Postby wALLton » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:29 pm

Ha, I hadn't realised the song was that short and just assumed it was a clip from the whole thing (listened once on shitty phone speaker while checking out the merch bundles). Like Lewdd I'm all in for them too, and really like Chris's artwork on the new shirts. Liked the look of the green vinyl but didn't see where it said it glows in the dark (neat), but that was only on the 'Merican King's Road site and international shipping costs were restrictive. I stuck with the U.K. site so will be checking out the white and black vinyl version. I guess Lewdd being the collector will need to get that one too. ;)

Roll on July 29th.
wALLton

Postby lewdd » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:03 pm

The glow in the dark one is not on the site. I got an email for being a repeat customer with that deal. Yes, I may need to get a white version now too. Damn.

BTW, Scannest, they usually have Descendents tshirts specific to the festival event. I am sure they will have some at PRB. I have to get mine first thing on Saturday when they open the gates before the fat guy sizes sell out.

By the end of summer, I may have more Descendents t-shirts in my closet than my wife has total shirts.
lewdd

Postby wALLton » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:36 am

lewdd wrote:The glow in the dark one is not on the site. I got an email for being a repeat customer with that deal. Yes, I may need to get a white version now too. Damn.

Looking more closely the Euro version is clear with black. And it apparently has a glow in the dark cover not mentioned on the US site, but it might glow in the dark too, and just isn't mentioned. Not sure why I didn't get the "secret link/code" to the glow in the dark vinyl version, I am a repeat customer, but guess I'm not on any mailing list.

Looks like you're going to have to visit the Australian site to get the skateboard!

wALLton

Postby FlexMyHead » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:40 am

I followed the link sent to me yesterday and it no longer worked, not sure if that means they already sold out of the "glow in the dark" ones or not. I sent them an email asking. It's gimmicky enough to make me want one.

http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/1699 ... 78c5dc727/

UPDATE:
--------------

"Hi there,
The glow in the dark variant sold out within 2 hours of being posted.
Regards,
KR"
FlexMyHead

Postby Jimmy Heartburn » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:58 pm

scannest wrote:I bought the CD with the bonus tracks. Came to $19 with media mail shipping. To get all toons on vinyl you'd have to buy the LP and the EP which would come to close to $40 with s&h. No thanks.

Yeah, I don't really see the point having two versions of the same CD released at the same time. A lot labels seem to be doing that nowadays. I'm always going to be compelled to spend the extra $$$ and get the extra song(s), unless they're just pointless live tracks or demos. They should've put out the EP a few months before the album as kind of a teaser, or even put it out next year.
My stupid music blog http://melonvillehc.blogspot.ca
Jimmy Heartburn

Postby lewdd » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:02 am

FlexMyHead wrote:I followed the link sent to me yesterday and it no longer worked, not sure if that means they already sold out of the "glow in the dark" ones or not. I sent them an email asking. It's gimmicky enough to make me want one.

http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/1699 ... 78c5dc727/

UPDATE:
--------------

"Hi there,
The glow in the dark variant sold out within 2 hours of being posted.
Regards,
KR"

Glad I jumped at that quickly
lewdd

Postby MXV » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:04 am

lewdd wrote:The glow in the dark one is not on the site. I got an email for being a repeat customer with that deal. Yes, I may need to get a white version now too. Damn.

BTW, Scannest, they usually have Descendents tshirts specific to the festival event. I am sure they will have some at PRB. I have to get mine first thing on Saturday when they open the gates before the fat guy sizes sell out.

By the end of summer, I may have more Descendents t-shirts in my closet than my wife has total shirts.

There's a EU color too and Hot Topic is getting an exclusive coke bottle clear variant too.

EDIT: I totally glossed over where you already mentioned the EU one.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby Markonomicon » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:12 am

Toon rules!

Pre-ordered.

I wonder how many of the GITD were made.
Markonomicon

Postby Gary » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:45 pm

Jimmy Heartburn wrote:
scannest wrote:

They should've put out the EP a few months before the album as kind of a teaser, or even put it out next year.

I'm glad they put them out together,saves on postage.
Gary

Postby earthdog70 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:21 pm

I dig the new tune, the bass intro is not long enough to be annoying to my ears, it's not like a Chris Squire solo or something :lol:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby Welly » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:27 pm

Fuck it.
Last edited by Welly on Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby bortlicenseplate » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:43 am

Deluxe CD version has been ordered!
bortlicenseplate

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:46 am

Saw this bass tab video on youtube someone else made so...

Dusted my bass off and gonna see how I do.

Last edited by FlexMyHead on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlexMyHead

Postby jaybird » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:14 am

FlexMyHead wrote:Dusted my bass off and gonna see how I do....

Damn, dude, nicely done. Did you ever play in a band? Any links to share?

Also, what model bass is that?
jaybird

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:22 am

jaybird wrote:[quote="FlexMyHead"

Whoops, I meant that I was going to try to learn it from that video, no fucking way I could tab/learn by ear. I don't even know if my bass works anymore, I did play in poppyish bands that weren't very good in college.

That guy has a bunch of All, Descendents, Big Drill Car bass videos up. I think he might have been in G-Whiz at some point, not sure he doesn't really say. He certainly is good enough to have been in a band....

This is a song I recorded bass while in college (went on to play in other band's with singer/guitarist):

https://soundcloud.com/davekay56/01-tongue-tied
FlexMyHead

Postby jaybird » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:32 am

FlexMyHead wrote:
jaybird wrote:[quote="FlexMyHead"

Whoops, I meant that I was going to try to learn it from that video, no fucking way I could tab/learn by ear. I don't even know if my bass works anymore, I did play in poppyish bands that weren't very good in college.

That guy has a bunch of All, Descendents, Big Drill Car bass videos up. I think he might have been in G-Whiz at some point, not sure he doesn't really say. He certainly is good enough to have been in a band....

This is a song I recorded bass while in college (went on to play in other band's with singer/guitarist):

https://soundcloud.com/davekay56/01-tongue-tied

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, that dude is pretty awesome for sure. If anything, he might even make it look more effortless than even Karl could.

That tune you posted is cool... kinda has a Teenage Fanclub vibe.
jaybird

Postby aquaman » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:11 am

Met bass player Greg Gleason from the video above at PRB in Vegas...had no idea he was the one who did all those vids that would show up in my feed. Had lunch together, super nice guy and yes he's still in G Whiz with Kevin.
aquaman

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:43 pm

Finally ordered the vinyl for both. Had to wait to get some extra cash so all that was left was black. The key to save on shipping was to order the two new 12"s separate instead of in the bundle with the pin. Because of the pin, you won't qualify for media mail. Kinda wish I got the orange shirt. But I did just get my ticket for Philly. :-) hoping to possibly do NYC too.
gregpolard

Postby norix » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:28 am

The fuzzy dustmite guy has a cool channel indeed, have been subscribed to him for some time. Some covers have some slight mistakes but with the production quality of the original songs being all over the place and the speed which he picks up new songs that surely has to be forgiven (I tried making bass tabs of songs like 'Sum', even with his more than great ground work it takes a lot of time learning that stuff).
norix

Return to daghouse