pilster
drew
JGJR
Hal
gregpolard
clash77
Janelle
GWarrior
Last edited by lewdd on Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lewdd

Re: PRB NJ Roll Call

Postby scannest » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:05 am

I'll definitely be there Saturday, possibly Sunday. I'm coming with Pilster so not sure yet about ETA, but I suspect early.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:11 am

scannest wrote:I'll definitely be there Saturday, possibly Sunday. I'm coming with Pilster so not sure yet about ETA, but I suspect early.

You guys aren't bringing J Lisa.
lewdd

Postby Hal » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:43 am

Staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Neptune for Saturday/Sunday. Heading over to the venue with my friend George in the late afternoon Saturday.
Hal

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:17 am

Bad news is that I probably will have to miss. :( :(

Doing a HUGE implementation at work and I am the weekend support.

ARGH!
xxxMidgexxx

Postby drew » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:37 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Bad news is that I probably will have to miss. :( :(

ARGH!

Bummer. I was just about to say it was my job to get your ass there. Sorry JL

I will be there in time for Iron Chic
drew

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:04 pm

I'll be there. Probably won't get there til 6 or so?
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:19 pm

drew wrote:
xxxMidgexxx wrote:Bad news is that I probably will have to miss. :( :(

ARGH!

Bummer. I was just about to say it was my job to get your ass there. Sorry JL

I will be there in time for Iron Chic

Small chance i can still put off. Game time result
xxxMidgexxx

Postby akissfan » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:30 pm

Janelle & clash77?
akissfan

Postby drew » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:36 pm

lewdd wrote:Who is going?

lewdd
Earthdog70
akissfan
scannest
pilster
drew
JGJR
Hal
gregpolard

Drew's gal
drew

Postby clash77 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:12 pm

akissfan wrote:Janelle & clash77?

We will be there sir.Look forward to getting together☺
clash77

Postby NotBaker » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:09 pm

Enjoy, folks. Kind of bummed to be missing this, but I figure I'll catch Descendents the next time they play not-a-festival on the east coast.
NotBaker

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:38 pm

Yes! At this point I am going! Woo Hoo
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:45 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Yes! At this point I am going! Woo Hoo

Excellent!
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:12 pm

clash77 wrote:
akissfan wrote:Janelle & clash77?

We will be there sir.Look forward to getting together☺

Oh word!
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby Crazy Old Man » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:16 pm

I'm Dave. I rarely post to the board. I don't really know any of you, but I'm responsible for the layout of Daghouse.com and I help keep it running with Matt. Plus, I'm sure I've done random music exchanges with some of you old-timers in the past.

I never thought I'd ever get the chance to see Dag Nasty play live. So I'm excited to say I will be at PRB in NJ to see my 2 favorite bands (Dag Nasty and Descendents). I'm pretty pumped.

If you see me and feel like saying "Hi", it'd be great to put some faces with names. Here's what I look like:

Crazy Old Man

Postby Jimmy Heartburn » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:10 pm

Crazy Old Man wrote:I'm Dave. I rarely post to the board. I don't really know any of you, but I'm responsible for the layout of Daghouse.com and I help keep it running with Matt. Plus, I'm sure I've done random music exchanges with some of you old-timers in the past.

I never thought I'd ever get the chance to see Dag Nasty play live. So I'm excited to say I will be at PRB in NJ to see my 2 favorite bands (Dag Nasty and Descendents). I'm pretty pumped.

If you see me and feel like saying "Hi", it'd be great to put some faces with names. Here's what I look like:

Pfff, you don't look crazy or old, man!
My stupid music blog http://melonvillehc.blogspot.ca
Jimmy Heartburn

Postby johnnotkathi » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:35 am

Reviews/stories please!!
johnnotkathi

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:49 am

Oh man, what a blast.

From the board I saw: lewdd, Hal, JGJR, akissfan, drew, EDog, Midge....forgive me if I'm missing any, it was hectic! Was bummed not to run into scannest, pilster, clash77 and Janelle.....

Show itself cemented the fact that I hate cigarettes (sorry smokers) but having that shit blow into my face at repeated intervals was enough to make me sick. Anyway.........

Dag Nasty. Wow. Lived up to my expectations (this was my first time). I only wish that I, like most of you previously, had the chance to see them in a small club.

Descendents set was great! Excellent set list, the new songs flowed really nicely with the classics. Was bummed it seemed the encore got cut short by a song. Can't wait til the club tour this fall ;-)
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:49 am

edit: double post.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:17 am

I only got to say hello to Lew and E-Dog (and Midge and Andrew, but I see those guys all the time). It was a long hot day in the sun, but I had a really good time. Saw every band except H20 (sat inside the club during their set to get a break from the sun). I thought Giuda were terrific, liked 88 Fingers Louie and Iron Chic (both got a little 'samey' over the course of their sets) and the Subhumans were excellent at doing something that's just not my thing (I thought they were going to be more Oi-style punk as opposed to hardcore).

I had mixed feelings about Dag. The songs are incredible and the playing is terrific. Brian is easily one of my favorite guitar players and getting to see him and Stephen back to back was a treat. Shawn is such a super affable front man - I never got such a posi-vibe from a Dag show before. Even Brian was totally charming when he talked about playing Asbury and sharing a stage with the Descendents again (he flat out called them his favorite band). But for about half the set I just had the ghost of Dave and Peter's melodies ringing in my ears. Brian and and Roger both did an admirable job with backing vocals, but some of the songs just don't work as well with Shawn (All Ages, the Wig Out tunes they did, Values Here). Like I said, Shawn was totally on point for much of the set, but not all of it.
Descendents were terrific - only bummer was the early curfew. 6 new songs, 3 of which I thought were pretty terrific on first listen (Victim, Shameless Halo and Paper). I think Milo is singing better than ever and the guys are looser and, dare I say, funky than ever (that's pretty frickin' relative, of course). Bill's playing is reaching other levels and Stephen and Karl give as good as they get.

Briefly spoke to the band afterwards. Nothing major other than there will be more shows in the coming months (NYC mentioned specifically), but no mention of a "tour" per se.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:27 am

scannest wrote:I only got to say hello to Lew and E-Dog (and Midge and Andrew, but I see those guys all the time). It was a long hot day in the sun, but I had a really good time. Saw every band except H20 (sat inside the club during their set to get a break from the sun). I thought Giuda were terrific, liked 88 Fingers Louie and Iron Chic (both got a little 'samey' over the course of their sets) and the Subhumans were excellent at doing something that's just not my thing (I thought they were going to be more Oi-style punk as opposed to hardcore).

I had mixed feelings about Dag. The songs are incredible and the playing is terrific. Brian is easily one of my favorite guitar players and getting to see him and Stephen back to back was a treat. Shawn is such a super affable front man - I never got such a posi-vibe from a Dag show before. Even Brian was totally charming when he talked about playing Asbury and sharing a stage with the Descendents again (he flat out called them his favorite band). But for about half the set I just had the ghost of Dave and Peter's melodies ringing in my ears. Brian and and Roger both did an admirable job with backing vocals, but some of the songs just don't work as well with Shawn (All Ages, the Wig Out tunes they did, Values Here). Like I said, Shawn was totally on point for much of the set, but not all of it.
Descendents were terrific - only bummer was the early curfew. 6 new songs, 3 of which I thought were pretty terrific on first listen (Victim, Shameless Halo and Paper). I think Milo is singing better than ever and the guys are looser and, dare I say, funky than ever (that's pretty frickin' relative, of course). Bill's playing is reaching other levels and Stephen and Karl give as good as they get.

Briefly spoke to the band afterwards. Nothing major other than there will be more shows in the coming months (NYC mentioned specifically), but no mention of a "tour" per se.

Maybe "tour" was a strong word on my part but I know for a fact Philly is in the cards as well. And I see what you mean about Dag....kinda weird hearing the crowd (myself included) singing the Peter/Dave melodies over Shawn haha
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:52 am

gregpolard wrote:Maybe "tour" was a strong word on my part but I know for a fact Philly is in the cards as well.

Sorry Greg, I wasn't commenting on your post at all. Just passing along the little info I got. Happy to hear there is a Philly show in the works.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:55 am

scannest wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Maybe "tour" was a strong word on my part but I know for a fact Philly is in the cards as well.

Sorry Greg, I wasn't commenting on your post at all. Just passing along the little info I got. Happy to hear there is a Philly show in the works.

No offense taken! Was bummed we didn't cross paths.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:06 pm

I must agree, at least mostly, with what scannest wrote re: Dag Nasty's set. As much as I love hearing the Wig Out material, this lineup just shouldn't play anything past Can I Say. The stuff that Peter sang on just doesn't work with Shawn's voice. But with that said, the '85-'86 stuff and the Swiz and Minor Threat "covers" all sounded great and musically, I thought they were tighter than in 2012 (and agree about the positivity that Shawn gives off, too). And I love that Brian was clearly having so much fun. I love Asbury a whole lot, too, and grew up 40 minutes north of it.

And I agree with what others wrote about both the Descendents' set (what else can be said about such a powerhouse at this point?) and that of the Subhumans (I've loved them since I was 16 and they played well but just wasn't really in the mood for them that day, TBH). I got there when H20 was playing, but unfortunately right after they had Steve from Marginal Man sing "Friend" with them. I've never been a big fan, so I used their set as an opportunity to walk around and check out the merch, grab a sandwich and find the other denizens of this board. I'm also bummed that I didn't get to see clash77, janelle, scannest and pilster, but it was fun (as always) hanging out with Greg, Hal, a kissfan, earthdog and lewdd (who I actually met for the first time!) along with Midge and Andrew!
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:44 pm

Sitting at Philly airport getting ready to head to Chicago.

Day #1 - Night Birds and The Bronx club show inside the Stone Pony was crazy. The singer for The Bronx taped the mic to his hand and was in the crowd almost the entire show. They played a lot of tunes from their first release which was awesome for me. Prior to the show we met Shawn Brown on the boardwalk.

Day #2 - Got there for the first band and spent too many hours in the sun. Lost in Society and Sketchy played the tune that I like from each of them which was good to hear. Iron Chic was OK but sounded a bit like Hot Water Music which I am not a big fan of. Giuda was better live than their studio work to my ears.88 Fingers Louie were OK but not really my cup of tea either. I actually enjoyed H20. They played the songs I liked from their Epitaph era. Subhumans played "Can't Hear the Words" and "Religious Wars". I didn't need to hear any more than that for my liking. Dag Nasty was much better than I had expected, and I really enjoyed the set. Glad the crowd filled in the harmonies. Descendents were incredible as always. Talked with Scannest, Pilster, Midge, Drew, Greg, JGJR, Hal, and I was with akissfan and Earthdog. Met 4 buddies from high school. My cousin made it late but I never found him. Easy dropped on akissfan's conversation with Chuck from Flag. Heard stories about education, farming in WI, his kids, etc. Nice guy.

Day #3 - decided it was too hot to go to the show for the start. Got there in time for Off With Their Heads who were pretty good. WIsh they would have played more of my fave tunes though. Anti Nowhere League played their best setlist of any of the shows I have seen them. Sound wasn't the greatest though as the wind was playing havoc with the guitars. Finally met clash77 and Janelle. Agnostic Front were better than I had expected. Not sure what Vinnie still adds to the band though. Flag were great as expected. Cock Sparrer were sensational. I can't talk today. Spent about 30 minutes talking with the sound engineer for descendents/flag on the boardwalk after the festival. Sounds like ALL has been put on the back burner while the Descendents/FLAG are red hot. I'm fucking exhausted.
lewdd

Postby drew » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:50 pm

Ill echo most of the sentiments of everyone. Great seeing Midge, Scanny, Pilster, JGJR, Edog for the first time in a bunch of years, Lewdd for the first time in person-and hes as good a dude as he has always been on the board and meeting Hal, Brent and Greg....

Loved GIUDA
88 Fingers Louie were enjoyable
Took a break inside for H2O who I never really dug
SUBHUMANS were great, first time seeing them.
DAG NASTY were amazing. I do agree Shawn doesnt have the vocal chops of Dave & Peter but he brought a great presence to the material and those old tunes are so great and Brian is such a good player that I was totally satisfied....
DESCENDENTS, like everyone said, they just get better with age. Top-notch playing and Milo sounds better than he did the last time I saw them ('97) I hope they tour, I'd go again.
drew

Postby JGJR » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:54 pm

drew wrote:DESCENDENTS, like everyone said, they just get better with age. Top-notch playing and Milo sounds better than he did the last time I saw them ('97) I hope they tour, I'd go again.

Did you go to the Roseland show in '97? That was on my birthday. I actually saw them at the exact same spot a few months after that just outside the Pony on a much smaller stage on Warped Tour that year as well.
JGJR

Postby drew » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:29 pm

JGJR wrote:
drew wrote:DESCENDENTS, like everyone said, they just get better with age. Top-notch playing and Milo sounds better than he did the last time I saw them ('97) I hope they tour, I'd go again.

Did you go to the Roseland show in '97? That was on my birthday. I actually saw them at the exact same spot a few months after that just outside the Pony on a much smaller stage on Warped Tour that year as well.

I saw them at Coney Island High-Everything Sux tour. The only other time I saw the 'Dents before this weekend.
drew

Postby FlexMyHead » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:17 pm

Thanks for all the reviews of the shows and meeting up with DagBoarders! Never the same as experiencing it live, but reading about it from people I internet-know and trust means more than some random blurb on other page(s). I did check out a bunch of Instagram clips, most were pretty short and of varying sound quality, but looked like a good time. Is Instragram the more popular arty way to post short clips and photos vs facebook? Seems like it.

The singer debate rages on! I'd see them with any of their singers to be honest. Personally, I think the fact that Colin and Roger are playing is just as important as who is singing as their history and solid playing is just as important (historical etc). I do like all phases of Dag, with FotF and Field Day having some filler songs to me. Anyway here is an old quote from Peter, who is pathologically humble and dismissive of how his voice sounds to others:

Shawn may not have had Smalley's voice, but to me he was and always will be the Dag Nasty singer. Anyone who saw him at those first few shows can tell you that he was incredible. To have his blessing, such as it was, meant more to me than anything else before or since.

Peter did the What If...sessions so I think we've all heard those songs recorded (and live) and can each have our pick of what sounds better to our ears. I thought the All Ages and Wig Out songs Shawn sang in Europe sounded good?
FlexMyHead

Postby lewdd » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:12 pm

I will post more about it this weekend with some pics. I flew from Philly to chicago today for work for the rest of the week. Nothing like drinking like a fish for 4 days ( I started on Thursday when akissfan stayed at my house) and having to fly after that. I'm beat. Gonna watch some copa america centenario and fall asleep.
lewdd

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:11 pm

i kissed lewdd on the lips
xxxMidgexxx

Postby bortlicenseplate » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:37 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:i kissed lewdd on the lips

Pics or it didn't happen. :mrgreen:
bortlicenseplate

Postby scannest » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:55 am

Reading creature's interview with Colin and Brian made the whole 'singer situation' perfectly clear. Shawn is their friend in a way Peter and Dave just aren't and playing again with good friends seems to be exactly what this is about.
Mazel Tov!
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:31 am

Hoping they record more stuff with Shawn. New 7" is too short!
gregpolard

Postby Hal » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:19 am

Physically, I’m back at work today. Mentally, I’m still at PRB NJ!! WOW…what an incredible weekend. Beautiful location…cool venue…sublime weather…fun friends…and scorching sets from some of our favorite bands. In particular, Dag/Descendents/FLAG were off the charts!!! I hope to gawd I have the opportunity to see these bands again, but if I don’t…I’M GOOD. They successfully exceeded any and all expectations I had. Not a big fan of barricades, but it was well worth squirming my way up to the rail for Descendents and FLAG…definitely enhanced the experience for me. Also, really enjoyed Subhumans, AF and Cock Sparrer. I would say that PRB NJ was a smashing success and I hope that this is the beginning of many years of PRB at The Stone Pony.

DAGCON'16...Great to see and/or meet JGJR, Lewd, Edog, akissfan, Greg, xxxMidgexxx, drew, Chris Shary, Alan & Britt from SpeedLab and any others I’ve forgotten. Big thanks to Shawn Brown for being totally cool and dorking out with us and our GI t-shirts. Chris Shary, good to finally meet you up at the rail Saturday night…I was completely deafened at that point and only heard about half of what you said…so, if our exchange was awkward my apologies :D
Hal

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:55 am

This weekend I decided that my MCL need to get sprained so I'm healing it up at home and spending way too much time on the internet and thought I'd post some Dag Nasty PBR videos etc for those of you who don't have as much free time as me. Enjoy! (I thought Trying sounded fine, even the spoken wordishness of the verse, BB's lick sounded cheesy-great as always)!

UPDATE: Couldn't figure out how to embed Instagram videos (might not be able on this type of board) so you gotta follow the links.

=========================
Setlist (from photo, might be incorrect)

01) Values Here
02) I've Heard
03) Under Your Influence
04) Can I Say
05) Circles
06) All Ages Show
07) Cold Heart
08) What Now
09) Trying
10) Safe
11) Wanting Nothing
12) One to Two
13) Justification
14) Ghost (Swiz)
15) Little Friend (Minor Threat)
16) Fall
17) Never Go Back

================

01) Values Here (clip)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGj6BGPQCp1/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGih_bKPWoc/ (crowd filling in melodic vocals!)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGiJfFsM1Ym/

02) I've Heard (clip)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGkA4uAIDLl/

03) Under Your Influence (clip)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGiO3z6E9V0/ (Civ guitarist shot on stage)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGiJu_Fq7lq/ (Lifetime vocalist shot on stage)

04) Can I Say (clip)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGiKE3jyUaa/

06) All Ages Show (clip)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGj1g2Wl6vC/

08) What Now (clip)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGj8iBGyBfZ/

09) Trying

10) Safe (clip)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGjgvG3HWjJ/

14) Ghost (clip)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGiNhAlrk4_/

15) Little Friend (clip)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGj1S6eFF4q/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGih2t2MHbf/ (far away shot, bored people walking by during MT!?! smh)
FlexMyHead

Postby earthdog70 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:02 am

Great time this weekend. So cool to see so many Daghousers and hang. I got to chat with Shawn Brown and meet Chuck Dukowski, didn't get pics unfortunately. Enjoyed most of the bands. If you didn't get a chance to say "hey" to me-you should have watched AKissFan's video feed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S876Zq8 ... e=youtu.be

:mrgreen:

Now I will go back to waiting for my liver to recover :roll:

Thanks to Lewdd for his trip coordinating efforts too. :mrgreen:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby lewdd » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:48 am

15 minutes into working at the chicago office today my laptop died. Off to a great start. Shoulda stayed at the beach.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:05 am

lewdd wrote:15 minutes into working at the chicago office today my laptop died. Off to a great start. Shoulda stayed at the beach.

Ah man, that sucks. My work day yesterday was 11 hours. I'm a baby so that is a lot to me. hahha
gregpolard

Postby clash77 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:45 pm

Great time!..Finally got to meet Lew,Earthdog,and Akissfan..Sorry we missed you JGJR,Midge,and Greg..Hoping the fest rerurns next year!!!
clash77

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:01 pm

clash77 wrote:Great time!..Finally got to meet Lew,Earthdog,and Akissfan..Sorry we missed you JGJR,Midge,and Greg..Hoping the fest rerurns next year!!!

Was really hoping to meet up w/ you guys. I agree...if it's next year and the lineup is right...count me in!
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:37 am

Google Photos created this video for me.

https://goo.gl/photos/naNWaomr81n2A62JA

Google Photos created this album for me.

https://goo.gl/photos/Zr1igXmLM2YsXPgt5
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:54 am

lewdd

Postby johnnotkathi » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:27 am

lewdd wrote:All of the carnage

https://goo.gl/photos/zZdW2Hdo5j7cmJ1o7

Looks like there was good food and drink to go with the music!!
johnnotkathi

Postby Hal » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:39 am

Great pics! Thanks for sharing. Hahaha...I forgot all about Brent with the Repo Man sunglasses!!
Hal

Postby lewdd » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:46 am

johnnotkathi wrote:

Looks like there was good food and drink to go with the music!!

I don't go anywhere where there isn't good food and drink. :D
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:47 am

Hal wrote:

Great pics! Thanks for sharing. Hahaha...I forgot all about Brent with the Repo Man sunglasses!!

Yeah, that was fucking hilarious when it happened.
lewdd

Postby bortlicenseplate » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:23 pm

Great pics, lewdd. Looks like you had a blast. I'm digging that Naked Raygun shirt you have on.
bortlicenseplate

Postby JGJR » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:39 pm

That's really cool. Another friend of mine just ate at the Brass Rail in Allentown according to FB. I guess it's a well-regarded place?
JGJR

Next

Return to daghouse