Sunset Strip documentary

Sunset Strip documentary

Postby Janelle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:23 am

Saw parts of this on Saturday on Showtime. Caught it when they were talking about the Chateau Marmont (I've always been intrigued passing by that place and knowing about the history of it all!) and had actors like Johnny Depp and Sharon Stone talking about it and the legendary goings-on. But the best parts were about when the main rock clubs were founded - all by the same guy - The Roxy and Whiskey A Go Go and my fave hangout spot The Rainbow. So of course they go from era to era, The Doors, Hendrix playing and then it got the punk part for a bit and interviewed X and then like, that Hollywood glam metal era. F'n Ratt ha. Not a fan, but Kelly Osbourne was talking for a bit and it was funny, she's talking about how people are still living in that era. It's SO true! I've been to The Rainbow so many times and certain nights, when it's packed around that area, you see these like '80s glammed-out dudes and it's like really? Ha! On another note, Rodney Bingenheimer did a bit of commentary. I dragged Clash77 there on Super Bowl Sunday and we saw a Rodney Bingenheimer look-alike! Drinking out of this chalice with this horrible rug toupee!!!!! Best time ever! Well, then every now and then you do see or "meet" someone - A few years ago, I think I chronicled it on here - I went up to that nutty comedian/perpetual arrestee Andy Dick and then a guy who used to lend his snakes to Alice Cooper. It's always (well, hopefully) an adventure. I always had the hope of meeting Lemmy there! He supposedly loves that place. They have photos of him on the wall. Then in this documentary, when they're talking about The Rainbow, they have Lemmy discussing it and well, then Tommy Lee talking about the restaurant part how it's so dark and hidden places everywhere where... um, gross-out things happened. Then the movie goes on to talk about The Comedy Story and Laugh Factory and those legendary comics playing there. Okay, rant over! I like watching this.
When your number's up be what you are
Janelle

Re: Sunset Strip documentary

Postby Janelle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:34 am

Oh and then Johnny Depp talked about the beginnings of the Viper Room too... And of course, what marred it, River Phoenix's death.
Janelle

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:57 am

the sunset strip is kind of shitty now. you used to be able to cruise it and now if you go past the same point 3 times in an hour you can get a ticket. still some decent clubs, but it was cooler when tower records was there, now it is some high end furniture store or something. the sst superstore was also hilarious, but cool. i have only been to the rainbow room a few times, but it seems like the glory days of the place are long gone. also, most of the clubs try to do two shows/events in one night, so if you see a band they try to get you out of there by 10 or 11pm so they can do some lame DJ shit. you used to be able to walk around and there were places to hang out, but those days are over.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby MXV » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:19 am

The best part of the sunset strip is eating breakfast at Duke's. I go there every time I'm in town.

Is this documentary on the Netflix streaming? I want to check it out.

I went to that SST Superstore once or twice when I was out there back when it was still open. I loaded up on a lot of good stuff for cheap there on my first visit and I still have all those 3" CD's I got there.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby Janelle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:35 am

MXV wrote:The best part of the sunset strip is eating breakfast at Duke's. I go there every time I'm in town.

Is this documentary on the Netflix streaming? I want to check it out.

I went to that SST Superstore once or twice when I was out there back when it was still open. I loaded up on a lot of good stuff for cheap there on my first visit and I still have all those 3" CD's I got there.

Oh I don't know if it's on netflix! Do you get Showtime channels? They play it every now and then.
Janelle

Postby Janelle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:45 am

yourenotevil wrote:the sunset strip is kind of shitty now. you used to be able to cruise it and now if you go past the same point 3 times in an hour you can get a ticket. still some decent clubs, but it was cooler when tower records was there, now it is some high end furniture store or something. the sst superstore was also hilarious, but cool. i have only been to the rainbow room a few times, but it seems like the glory days of the place are long gone. also, most of the clubs try to do two shows/events in one night, so if you see a band they try to get you out of there by 10 or 11pm so they can do some lame DJ shit. you used to be able to walk around and there were places to hang out, but those days are over.

Oh yeah, in the documentary they had a brief moment about the demise of Tower and Clive Davis was talking about it.
Janelle

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:58 am

Janelle wrote:
yourenotevil wrote:the sunset strip is kind of shitty now. you used to be able to cruise it and now if you go past the same point 3 times in an hour you can get a ticket. still some decent clubs, but it was cooler when tower records was there, now it is some high end furniture store or something. the sst superstore was also hilarious, but cool. i have only been to the rainbow room a few times, but it seems like the glory days of the place are long gone. also, most of the clubs try to do two shows/events in one night, so if you see a band they try to get you out of there by 10 or 11pm so they can do some lame DJ shit. you used to be able to walk around and there were places to hang out, but those days are over.

Oh yeah, in the documentary they had a brief moment about the demise of Tower and Clive Davis was talking about it.

i was never a tower records fan, but they had a video one across the street and the normal one in a prime location. henry rollins did a book signing there when the BF book came out. there is still a book soup near there, but if you put in all three together you had something to do while waiting for the show. now it is just get in, get ripped off for parking, see the show and pay 8 bucks for a beer on the way out. i think the rainbow room still charges 10 bucks to get in on the weekends, but i think you get a drink ticket out of it. needless to say, i was never that impressed when i went in there.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby Janelle » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:52 am

I never paid to get in I guess it's cos I'm old and don't go out late (unless for a show) and I'm already in there and then like maybe 10 or something they'd do that. ha :)
Janelle

Postby john stabb » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:48 pm

Saw the doc a few wks ago & it was a very good one. Even though it's stupid-raunchy, I laughed during Steve Jones interview in the thing about how much oral he got during that period of time. The groupie stuff w/ Pamela DesBarre is nothing new on film or her book: Yeah, Page & Plant were assholes who got into sadistic shit with their groupies, Bonham shat in their shoes, etc. Early footage is good but by the time they get into wannabe Rocker Johnny Depp's Viper Room, the death of a much more talented actor (RIP) River Phoenix, it goes pretty flat. Worth watching for 1.5 hrs.

But it is amazing how many loser leftover L.A. Glam-metal folks still hang around there. :shock:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby Janelle » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:22 pm

john stabb wrote:Saw the doc a few wks ago & it was a very good one. Even though it's stupid-raunchy, I laughed during Steve Jones interview in the thing about how much oral he got during that period of time. The groupie stuff w/ Pamela DesBarre is nothing new on film or her book: Yeah, Page & Plant were assholes who got into sadistic shit with their groupies, Bonham shat in their shoes, etc. Early footage is good but by the time they get into wannabe Rocker Johnny Depp's Viper Room, the death of a much more talented actor (RIP) River Phoenix, it goes pretty flat. Worth watching for 1.5 hrs.

But it is amazing how many loser leftover L.A. Glam-metal folks still hang around there. :shock:

Ew John right?! First, yeah, the leftover glam trash that still ventures there! ha! But Steve Jones, love him, but he was always grosso raunch. Think of The Swindle movie and all that! Ew! That's why in my initial post I didn't say at the Tommy Lee the goings on under tables and in the dark nooks what grossness went on! I was trying to be ladylike ha for Janelle
Janelle

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:11 pm

Janelle wrote:But Steve Jones, love him, but he was always grosso raunch.

I just think back to the t-shirt he wore on Bill Grundy's show during that infamous appearance. Plus, my understanding is that he was a big-time druggie (heroin) in the early '80s when he was living in my friend's apartment in New York and in the band Kraut.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby john stabb » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:26 pm

Sure Janelle & JGJR, Steve Jones was a serious sleazo- junkie-rocker in the Sunset Strip days but at least he's a talented one. All that shit Tommy Lee went on about ... who cares :?: Jones has always been a rude English bugger. Once a Sex Pistol, always a Sex Pistol. He's nothing if upfront about his sexuality. Tommy's just a douchebag Metal-dork who can apparently steer a boat with his penis. Oh, and sometimes he plays the drums. :roll:
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Return to daghouse