Album cassettes

Album cassettes

Postby WrEtcH » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:10 am

I'm one of those weird collectors that will buy different formats if I love a band. Anyways, it all started when I saw to ALL albums on cassette and I bought em. I had some DENTS albums on cassette and "Sez" so I decided to resume collecting ALL or DENTS cassettes at a cheap price. On trip to Vegas 2 weeks ago, one record store owner mentioned to me that he sells more cassettes than CD's. You guys buy cassettes or see that it's making a mini come back?
^v^
WrEtcH

Re: Album cassettes

Postby drew » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:26 am

I can't stand cassettes and/or VHS tapes. So happy it became dead tech but cassettes have been "in" again I think because hipsters buy old boomboxes to bring to the park and get tapes at goodwill for 50 cents each.
drew

Postby The Snake » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:40 am

I love cassettes, I have about 1000 of tapes (not all original of course).
If I see my favorite band or an album that I want to own in original format and if it´s on tape, I will buy it.
From touring experience, the tapes are always selling much better than CD´s, so I think that the tapes are always "in" with people who are into hc/punk.
I have more than one album on original cassette from some bands like: Bad Religion, D. O. A., The Bollweevils, Samiam, SNFU, Ignition, Fugazi...
And the tape that I´ve listened the most of all is probably Adolescents, a reissue of blue album on Epitaph with Welcome To Reality EP on it.
I also love discography tapes (or more releases on one tape), I have bunch of those from bands like: Code 13, Deadfall, Socialcide, Pedestrians, Tear It Up, DS-13...
The Snake

Postby Gary » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:44 am

Have loads of tapes,and still buy them,but not as a first choice. Usually it's demo releases,or super cheap car boot sale/charity shop buys.

Lost loads over the years living in punk houses etc. Some I'd really love to have back.
Gary

Postby Jimmy Heartburn » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:54 am

I'll occasionally buy a tape if it's the only format of that release. If a band puts out a tape nowadays, I'll buy if it's not available on vinyl or bandcamp.

I was given a box of tapes last year of mostly punk, hardcore and metal. I had a lot of them on cd and vinyl so I took them to a record store. I was surprised when they gave me $150 for them when there was a time I wouldn't even got half that (if anything) for them. I did keep two tapes for myself, one of them a live Slayer boot from 1985 (which I posted on my blog) and Poison Idea "Ian Mackaye", which I think is worth something.
My stupid music blog http://melonvillehc.blogspot.ca
Jimmy Heartburn

Postby Michele » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:57 pm

many bands, specially in underground scene are resuming the use of cassettes, so I started back to collect some of them... for sure not the same long life as vinyl or cds, but I don't care as it's nice to have some of them around my room
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby lewdd » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:34 pm

Like others said, it seems to be making a comeback behind vinyl and ahead of CDs. I don't have many anymore. I have 2 copies of NMTB though. Welly put out a cassette with his zine a few years ago. He is a trendsetter.
lewdd

Postby The Snake » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:46 pm

Oh yeah, I have 7 Seconds on tape, their whole Compromise demo from 1985. released on some Italian label called Linea Diritta (Michele, maybe you know more about it).
This tape have also a live show from 1986. and as for studio songs, some ended up on New Wind LP, some on 4 Bands That Could Change The World compilation, but one instrumental song called Straight Edge was never released anywhere else. I have this song in mp3 format, so if anyone wants it, let me know.
The Snake

Postby Jimmy Heartburn » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:13 pm

I've had a bunch old tapes given to me of old Canadian punk/hc demos from the 80's and 90's from people I've met through my blog. Some of them played on those demos and/or just wanted them digitized because they don't have the means or don't know how to.
Jimmy Heartburn

Postby SamDBL » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:56 pm

Was my preferred format growing up. I collected a bit of vinyl for a short while, too. But I always hated that format (too fragile, pops and noises even if brand new, covers got ratty, couldn't play anywhere but in a home, etc). For people to use cassettes now is a total fad, though. There is absolutely no positive to it over the other currently available formats (digital, cd). I wouldn't doubt that in some hipster area they sell more cassettes than cds. That's not saying much, though. CDs are totally dead and hold no nostalgia value for hipster dorks. Yet.
SamDBL

Postby FormerLurker » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:30 pm

For me, cassettes are pure nostalgia. Completely worthless as an actual format. Guessing when to stop the FFwd to get to the next track? FUCK THAT.
FormerLurker

Postby The Snake » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:26 am

What about when your computer crash?
I think that it´s good to have some tapes around you then. :D
The Snake

Postby Knutsen » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:07 am

Here in Berlin (and probably also elsewhere ) there is a small totally underground hardcore scene of bands who distribute their music via tapes. I guess, because it is very analog + 80s. I find it charming.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby FlexMyHead » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:05 am

I think tapes are the worst format in terms of them breaking and getting eaten etc. The ability to reuse and (at the time) cheaply purchase blanks, was so awesome for sharing and making mixtapes and was very much part of my punk learning curve. Typically a record wouldn't last the entire 45m or 30m so whoever made the tape would stick on a few random songs and that was a great way to learn about newer bands as a young punk rocker. For a while CD's were the best way to cheaply get your music out, now it's pretty much streaming and online stuff I suppose. Like all my photos, here is one I posted in a thread a while ago of me looking for a live Jawbreaker show in unmarked boxes with unmarked tapes in my hot Florida garage where I'm sure the tapes are getting slowly ruined.

FlexMyHead

Postby Gary » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:48 pm

Just bought two tapes at a gig a few nights ago.
Gary

Postby Welly » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:09 pm

Fuck it.
Last edited by Welly on Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby Michele » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:02 am

Welly wrote:Cassettes are only trendy for idiots, to those who know, they are just tapes

quote of the day
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby Bill » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:16 pm

Tapes are great for demos and stop-gap releases but past that I cannot get into it unless I'm finding things at a Goodwill or Salvation Army. I saw someone post a picture of their collection of Marked Men tape reissues the other day and really had to hold myself back asking why they just didn't buy the damn LPs.
Bill

Postby MikeD » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:11 pm

I love a tape
MikeD

Postby Jimmy Heartburn » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:21 pm

i just ordered a bunch of tapes from a distro. Only because they aren't available in any other format.
Jimmy Heartburn

Postby lewdd » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:39 pm

Im still trying to find where I can buy Oi! The Tape.
lewdd

Return to daghouse