Field Day

Postby matt » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:21 am

FLIP!

:D
matt
Site Admin

Re: Field Day

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:22 am

LOL. I was waiting for this. Imagine if we actually talked about Field Day in this thread.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby Mark T. » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:10 am

Projeckt Daghouse:
PDIV - Thousand Days - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVX7w2iNIfw
Mark T.

Postby Welly » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:13 am

gregpolard wrote:LOL. I was waiting for this. Imagine if we actually talked about Field Day in this thread.

Do it.

Don't you think that Farside's 'Monroe Doctrine' is put together in a similar way to 'Field Day' in that there's different styles from college rock to punk with the filler and out-takes also left in?
Welly

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:16 am

Welly wrote:
gregpolard wrote:LOL. I was waiting for this. Imagine if we actually talked about Field Day in this thread.

Do it.

Don't you think that Farside's 'Monroe Doctrine' is put together in a similar way to 'Field Day' in that there's different styles from college rock to punk with the filler and out-takes also left in?

WHOA! I never really thought of that but I'll be damned if I don't see/agree.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby plucky » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:19 pm

Beat G Warrior. Owned
plucky

Postby Dinko » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:41 am

Welly wrote:

Do it.

I don't. Neither Popeye nor K Murphy would have played a "Here's to you" solo just to piss Chu off.
The law of average says you will survive.
Dinko

Postby version sound » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:14 pm

Did this record get any better when we changed boards?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby soulforce » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:19 pm

I still don't know what to think of this thread. It's obviously some kind of an inside joke but I don't get it. So what's the story? Also, do most of you consider "Field Day" Dag Nasty's best album or is it the collective realization of its mediocrity ( :twisted: ) the real reason behind this thread?
soulforce

Postby version sound » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:30 pm

I liked it when it came out. It was one of several records of that era that pushed a more melodic and more rock sound that came at just the right time for me in terms of my shifting musical tastes. It was a post-emo world. I was ready for something closer to college rock. I had only recently started to listen to stuff like The Smiths, The Cure, REM, JAMC, etc... Field Day fit right in as a rest stop between hardcore and that other stuff. These days, it feels a little too of that moment for me to enjoy it objectively.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:08 pm

I never liked that record.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby matt » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:29 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:I never liked that record.

Hey buddy. :bag:
matt
Site Admin

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:53 pm

You lie like a rug. I mean....oh?
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:56 pm

soulforce wrote:I still don't know what to think of this thread. It's obviously some kind of an inside joke but I don't get it. So what's the story? Also, do most of you consider "Field Day" Dag Nasty's best album or is it the collective realization of its mediocrity ( :twisted: ) the real reason behind this thread?

I love it. It's not as good as Can I Say or Wig Out At Denkos but I dig it none the less. I think there is definitely some filler on there but with the magic of iTunes you can make your own version like JGJR and I did one night. We came up with a pretty solid 10 song version that included the bonus tracks from the cd version.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:58 pm

I just realized I said "version" way too much above. I blame VS.
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:11 pm

matt wrote:

Hey buddy. :bag:

Hey there.

Love xxxMidge F. Lightweightxxx
xxxMidgexxx

Postby RobMelville » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:12 pm

I love the Monroe Doctrine quite a bit. Probably a top fifteen album for me.
RobMelville

Postby JGJR » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:41 pm

gregpolard wrote:
soulforce wrote:I still don't know what to think of this thread. It's obviously some kind of an inside joke but I don't get it. So what's the story? Also, do most of you consider "Field Day" Dag Nasty's best album or is it the collective realization of its mediocrity ( :twisted: ) the real reason behind this thread?

I love it. It's not as good as Can I Say or Wig Out At Denkos but I dig it none the less. I think there is definitely some filler on there but with the magic of iTunes you can make your own version like JGJR and I did one night. We came up with a pretty solid 10 song version that included the bonus tracks from the cd version.

Yeah, I have to agree that our version of Field Day is better than the actual record. I probably wouldn't have admitted this even a few years ago, but I definitely feel like like Can I Say and Wig Out are better as I wouldn't skip a single song on either of those. Still, Field Day is great and underrated for the most part and has some of their best material but also parts of it (like the stuff we left off our version) border on really terrible.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:31 pm

JGJR wrote:...parts of it (like the stuff we left off our version) border on really terrible.

Now the truth comes out. I think I actually like the record better than you guys who tell me how great it is. There isn't anything on it that I would say is even close to terrible.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:46 am

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

Yeah, I have to agree that our version of Field Day is better than the actual record. I probably wouldn't have admitted this even a few years ago, but I definitely feel like like Can I Say and Wig Out are better as I wouldn't skip a single song on either of those. Still, Field Day is great and underrated for the most part and has some of their best material but also parts of it (like the stuff we left off our version) border on really terrible.

Finally! There's no way anyone with ears would ever prefer FD to the first two.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:47 am

Granted, Field Day has some of their best songs....and some of their worst. It's funny like that.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:26 am

gregpolard wrote:Granted, Field Day has some of their best songs....and some of their worst. It's funny like that.

What are the worst? "Ambulance Song"? I think Peter totally saved that one. That would have been tedious faux blues with pretty much any other singer, but Peter sells it.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:54 am

Field Day features some of my favorite Dag songs of all time - "Trouble Is", "Field Day", "Things that Make No Sense", "Dear Mrs. Touma","Staring at the Rude Boys", and "Typical". And the bonus tracks are excellent. Seriously, anyone who claims to love Dag and doesn't like this record has got several screws loose.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:58 am

version sound wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Granted, Field Day has some of their best songs....and some of their worst. It's funny like that.

What are the worst? "Ambulance Song"? I think Peter totally saved that one. That would have been tedious faux blues with pretty much any other singer, but Peter sells it.

The guitar solo in that song is so cheesy it hurts. The whole song I just can't take seriously. I'm not really a "song skipper" when I listen to albums so I still listen every time and crack up at the solo. The reworking of "Under Your Influence" is also a low point. I don't hate it like some, but I'm not super into it either.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:09 am

scannest wrote:Field Day features some of my favorite Dag songs of all time - "Trouble Is", "Field Day", "Things that Make No Sense", "Dear Mrs. Touma","Staring at the Rude Boys", and "Typical". And the bonus tracks are excellent. Seriously, anyone who claims to love Dag and doesn't like this record has got several screws loose.

You def named all of the best songs on it pretty much. I love the LP as well, just think the first two are superior. As for the bonus tracks, "You're Mine" and "All Ages Show" are great. "12XU" is not. I still stand by the piece I wrote for a friends blog last year:

http://pizzafriends.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... y.html?m=1
gregpolard

Postby Michele » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:14 am

flip :D
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby plucky » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:11 pm

Flop
plucky

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:29 pm

Not quite yet.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:00 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:...parts of it (like the stuff we left off our version) border on really terrible.

Now the truth comes out. I think I actually like the record better than you guys who tell me how great it is. There isn't anything on it that I would say is even close to terrible.

Just the guitar solo on "Here's to You," the awful cover of "12XU" (which I think was a bonus track and on a 12", so not an album track) and oh yeah that stupid Zeppelin-like breakdown/parody in the middle of "Under Your Influence" (though I understand why that was done along with the guitar solo on "Here's to You"). I'm OK with everything else on it, though, (including "Ambulance Song," which I know Greg dislikes but I love) so I probably exaggerated for effect. Despite (and maybe partially because of) its imperfections, I love the f'in record and have since I first heard it as a senior in high school, though it took a while to grow on me. But that's over 20 years ago now, so I've loved it for most of my life.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:03 pm

scannest wrote:Field Day features some of my favorite Dag songs of all time - "Trouble Is", "Field Day", "Things that Make No Sense", "Dear Mrs. Touma","Staring at the Rude Boys", and "Typical". And the bonus tracks are excellent. Seriously, anyone who claims to love Dag and doesn't like this record has got several screws loose.

"Staring at the Rude Boys" is an uncredited Ruts cover (though yeah it's far better than their version of Wire's "12XU") that I actually prefer slightly to the also awesome original.

I agree with your main point, though, and the songs you name are the album's best.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:05 pm

gregpolard wrote:
version sound wrote:

The guitar solo in that song is so cheesy it hurts. The whole song I just can't take seriously. I'm not really a "song skipper" when I listen to albums so I still listen every time and crack up at the solo. The reworking of "Under Your Influence" is also a low point. I don't hate it like some, but I'm not super into it either.

There would be absolutely nothing wrong with the re-working of "Under Your Influence" had they left out the "baby baby" part. It would still be unnecessary, though, as the Can I Say version is perfect.

And now that you mention it, the solo in "The Ambulance Song" does sound like something Joe Perry would've come up with a year later on Pump, but I don't hold that against it! The solo in "Here's to You" is the one that annoys me, though.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:07 pm

gregpolard wrote:As for the bonus tracks, "You're Mine" and "All Ages Show" are great. "12XU" is not.

That is completely on point. Peter hates "You're Mine," but i think his vocal performance on it is far better than what he credits himself for.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:11 am

I can't believe this didn't flip yet.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:14 am

JGJR wrote:

"Staring at the Rude Boys" is an uncredited Ruts cover (though yeah it's far better than their version of Wire's "12XU") that I actually prefer slightly to the also awesome original.

I agree with your main point, though, and the songs you name are the album's best.

I am gonna go out on a limb and say I'm pretty sure scanny knows its a Ruts cover :-)
gregpolard

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:22 am

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
And now that you mention it, the solo in "The Ambulance Song" does sound like something Joe Perry would've come up with a year later on Pump, but I don't hold that against it!

Or like something Robert Cray did come up with a year or two before.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:28 am

I like Field Day a lot. I think my favorite thing about it is the lyrics to the song "Field Day," which are hilarious and sum up Pierre's personality perfectly.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby plucky » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:28 pm

Speaking of Field Day; Hunter, can you tell me about the time you dunked on Doug Carrion?
plucky

Postby gregpolard » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:54 pm

plucky wrote:Speaking of Field Day; Hunter, can you tell me about the time you dunked on Doug Carrion?

I, too, want to hear this story.
gregpolard

Postby version sound » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:46 pm

plucky wrote:Speaking of Field Day; Hunter, can you tell me about the time you dunked on Doug Carrion?

It only happened once? Hunter is at least three feet taller than Doug.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:09 pm

version sound wrote:

It only happened once? Hunter is at least three feet taller than Doug.

Haha I thought the same thing
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:27 pm

gregpolard wrote:

I, too, want to hear this story.

This has to be a gag as Doug Carrion would have to jump like Spud Webb to even get as tall as Hunter is just standing. :lol:
JGJR

Postby scannest » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:07 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
And now that you mention it, the solo in "The Ambulance Song" does sound like something Joe Perry would've come up with a year later on Pump, but I don't hold that against it!

Or like something Robert Cray did come up with a year or two before.

You beat me to it!
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:25 am

Still no FLIP. weird.
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:00 pm

FLip
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:12 pm

xxxMidgexxx wrote:FLip

Almost.
gregpolard

Postby akissfan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:16 pm

FLIPPITY DO DA
akissfan

Postby gregpolard » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:05 am

So close. Yet so far away.
gregpolard

Postby plucky » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:22 pm

Bump
plucky

Postby version sound » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:59 pm

Flap
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:39 pm

I remember this thread.
gregpolard

Next

Return to daghouse