Flip
kevin

Re: Field Day

Postby kevin » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:55 am

Hi Midge
kevin

Postby FlexMyHead » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:52 pm

lewdd wrote:I was at the show at the Airport Music Hall in Allentown, PA where the photo in the letter "Y" was taken.

The Ramones played there the next night, did you see them as well?

Could you write a review of the show for my Dag Gigography page? Or could anybody that went to a Dag Nasty show?

At my current pace it might not ever get listed, but I've got Minor Threat, Embrace, Rites of Spring, Verbal Assault, Soul Side, Swiz, Ignition and Dag Nasty gigography pages in various states of progress and I'm always looking for new content.
FlexMyHead

Postby lewdd » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:19 pm

I don't remember much other than Peter didn't sing the song with the "silly boy" lyrics. And Brian and/or Doug took the hat and work shirt from someone in the crowd who was a Domino's delivery driver and wore them on stage. No songs from Field Day and I think the silly boy song was the only one not on the first two albums that was played that night.

I was not at the Ramones show if they played the next night and I don't recall that they played that next night.
lewdd

Postby FlexMyHead » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:44 pm

lewdd wrote:I don't remember much other than Peter didn't sing the song with the "silly boy" lyrics. And Brian and/or Doug took the hat and work shirt from someone in the crowd who was a Domino's delivery driver and wore them on stage. No songs from Field Day and I think the silly boy song was the only one not on the first two albums that was played that night.

I was not at the Ramones show if they played the next night and I don't recall that they played that next night.

Thanks for the review! That was 'What Now?' it is on CIS and that opening guitar riff melts my face, still to this day.

Hard to believe you didn't say anything about the legendary openers Mug Face....

Last edited by FlexMyHead on Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlexMyHead

Postby FlexMyHead » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:45 pm

FlexMyHead

Postby lewdd » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:57 pm

I did see Original Sins open for the Replacements a year and a half later.

Mug Face were a local lehigh valley hardcore band. They are #31 on the list here so you can give them a listen. https://frankfoe.blogspot.com/p/lehigh- ... hives.html
lewdd

Postby scannest » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:17 am

We never got around to recording our best song. This is a decent live version. Paul absolutely killed on this one:

"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:02 pm

Working late tonight.

FLIP
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:22 am

did flex quit the board
lewdd

Postby paul » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:58 am

what's this about?
paul

Postby kevin » Wed May 12, 2021 1:59 pm

Flip
kevin

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:41 pm

fLIP!
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:18 am

Petition for a Field Day remix/remaster starts here!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby jaybird » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:31 am

gregpolard wrote:Petition for a Field Day remix/remaster starts here!

Signed.

I'm sure the master tapes are lost to the mists of time though.
jaybird

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:53 am

jaybird wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Petition for a Field Day remix/remaster starts here!

Signed.

I'm sure the master tapes are lost to the mists of time though.

That's sadly what I figure as well.
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:48 am

Geez, you people STILL post on this waste of a thread?
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:16 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:Geez, you people STILL post on this waste of a thread?

Sold!
gregpolard

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:17 am

gregpolard wrote:

Sold!

STOP IT! I will call the cops!!!!
xxxMidgexxx

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:18 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:
gregpolard wrote:

Sold!

STOP IT! I will call the cops!!!!

I guess you don't want new kitchen cabinets, then
gregpolard

Postby Mattkoz » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:35 pm

I find it interesting that the location of the Field Day masters is untraceable, while similar master tapes from other Giant/Homestead releases such as the later Government Issue albums and Verbal Assault's Trial album were secured by those respective bands and remastered/re-released. Maybe there's a single crate in the warehouse where the Ark of the Covenant is housed that contains the masters for Dag Nasty's Field Day, Uniform Choice's Staring at the Sun, and Marginal Man's self-titled Giant releases? Maybe the same person that found the original Field Day album artwork and layouts and sent them to Brian will be able to unearth this particular treasure? Anyway, I think with a proper remix, remaster, and track order re-arrangement (similar to NMC 17) that Field Day could rise from the ashes like a phoenix. Then again, maybe not?
Mattkoz

Postby jaybird » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:52 pm

Mattkoz wrote:I find it interesting that the location of the Field Day masters is untraceable, while similar master tapes from other Giant/Homestead releases such as the later Government Issue albums and Verbal Assault's Trial album were secured by those respective bands and remastered/re-released. Maybe there's a single crate in the warehouse where the Ark of the Covenant is housed that contains the masters for Dag Nasty's Field Day, Uniform Choice's Staring at the Sun, and Marginal Man's self-titled Giant releases? Maybe the same person that found the original Field Day album artwork and layouts and sent them to Brian will be able to unearth this particular treasure? Anyway, I think with a proper remix, remaster, and track order re-arrangement (similar to NMC 17) that Field Day could rise from the ashes like a phoenix. Then again, maybe not?

I remember hearing about the VA remaster/reissue, but I never knew that You and/or Crash were ever remastered/reissued.... what label did those?
jaybird

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:12 pm

jaybird wrote:
Mattkoz wrote:I find it interesting that the location of the Field Day masters is untraceable, while similar master tapes from other Giant/Homestead releases such as the later Government Issue albums and Verbal Assault's Trial album were secured by those respective bands and remastered/re-released. Maybe there's a single crate in the warehouse where the Ark of the Covenant is housed that contains the masters for Dag Nasty's Field Day, Uniform Choice's Staring at the Sun, and Marginal Man's self-titled Giant releases? Maybe the same person that found the original Field Day album artwork and layouts and sent them to Brian will be able to unearth this particular treasure? Anyway, I think with a proper remix, remaster, and track order re-arrangement (similar to NMC 17) that Field Day could rise from the ashes like a phoenix. Then again, maybe not?

I remember hearing about the VA remaster/reissue, but I never knew that You and/or Crash were ever remastered/reissued.... what label did those?

Dr. Strange did those complete discography CDs (vol. 1 and 2). They're on Spotify as well.
gregpolard

Postby jaybird » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:36 pm

gregpolard wrote:
jaybird wrote:

Dr. Strange did those complete discography CDs (vol. 1 and 2). They're on Spotify as well.

Ahh, okay... I do remember that release... I thought maybe You and Crash had been individually re-issued on vinyl and I missed it.
jaybird

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:50 pm

jaybird wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
jaybird wrote:

Ahh, okay... I do remember that release... I thought maybe You and Crash had been individually re-issued on vinyl and I missed it.

I believe they were, actually. I could be wrong and I'm too lazy to check discogs. LOL
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:56 pm

Those two albums were only issued by Giant and We Bite.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:58 pm

lewdd wrote:Those two albums were only issued by Giant and We Bite.

You're right. i'm thinking of the earlier ones that got reissues
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:22 pm

gregpolard wrote:
jaybird wrote:
gregpolard wrote:
jaybird wrote:

I believe they were, actually. I could be wrong and I'm too lazy to check discogs. LOL

The Fun Just Never Ends, Joyride and GI5 along with the "Make an Effort" 7". were reissued by Dr. Strange on vinyl. I'm not sure why they didn't do You or Crash.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby FlexMyHead » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:11 pm

I came up to Orlando to watch the UEFA European Soccer Championship games today and tomorrow at a friend's house and I stopped by a record store here in Orlando and saw the US pressing of Field Day, it was $30 though, which I feel is way too much. I try not to spend over $20 on a used record.
FlexMyHead

Postby scannest » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:00 am

FlexMyHead wrote:I came up to Orlando to watch the UEFA European Soccer Championship games today and tomorrow at a friend's house and I stopped by a record store here in Orlando and saw the US pressing of Field Day, it was $30 though, which I feel is way too much. I try not to spend over $20 on a used record.

I bought a copy for 20 bucks about a year ago at a store in Brooklyn. A little beat up, but plays fine. Never had it on vinyl.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:15 am

FlexMyHead wrote:I came up to Orlando to watch the UEFA European Soccer Championship games today and tomorrow at a friend's house and I stopped by a record store here in Orlando and saw the US pressing of Field Day, it was $30 though, which I feel is way too much. I try not to spend over $20 on a used record.

Honestly $30 is reasonable for that record in 2021. It seems like in the last year prices on stuff have skyrocketed.

I got my vinyl maybe 8 years ago, with a clipped promo corner for $20 or so. Prior to that I had the CD only.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:28 am

gregpolard wrote:

Honestly $30 is reasonable for that record in 2021. It seems like in the last year prices on stuff have skyrocketed.

I got my vinyl maybe 8 years ago, with a clipped promo corner for $20 or so. Prior to that I had the CD only.

I had a vinyl copy in the '90s that I got out of some kid's bin at a show for probably like 5 bucks or something. I then got the CD and traded in that vinyl copy. I finally got another vinyl copy around the same time that Greg got it, but I think it was only $8 or something at Repo. I'm glad I got it before prices went through the roof. I just played it the other day, actually.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:13 am

I have two copies of the LP, a CD version, and the cassette version because that record held a special place in my heart up until last week when all of my dreams were dashed.
lewdd

Postby gregpolard » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:53 am

lewdd wrote:I have two copies of the LP, a CD version, and the cassette version because that record held a special place in my heart up until last week when all of my dreams were dashed.

I want to laugh but I also feel your pain, my friend.
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:35 am

lewdd wrote:I have two copies of the LP, a CD version, and the cassette version because that record held a special place in my heart up until last week when all of my dreams were dashed.

Hey - I bet Flex would gladly take one of those LPs off your hands! For the right price, of course.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:45 am

$1000 for him
$25 for anyone else
lewdd

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:06 pm

While it's my least favorite record, I actually have two copies of the LP (one was beat up and without insert) it's the only Dag Nasty test pressing I own (US version). I don't have the We Bite pressing with the extra song though. I think Dave from RIchmond (who used to post here) had most/all of the test pressings? Maybe Peter does as well? I need to try to get my Dag Nasty show list to him to look over and add any thoughts/comments if he is so inclined!

Lewdd, if you scroll up in this thread you'll see that I already knew about the photo etc, but just didn't mention it. And I was just having a laugh, didn't think you'd take it that seriously! Plus, I made you your own Y that you can print out and paste on your LP!
FlexMyHead

Postby JGJR » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:17 pm

FlexMyHead wrote: I don't have the We Bite pressing with the extra song though.

I was today years old when I found this out (that the then West now just German pressing has an extra song) and I've been listening to and loving this record since 1993.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:58 am

Been playing the Field Day LP a lot recently.

Using the CD version, you get to make a 10 track dream version of the album. What's your tracklist?
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:14 am

gregpolard wrote:Been playing the Field Day LP a lot recently.

Using the CD version, you get to make a 10 track dream version of the album. What's your tracklist?

We did this a long time ago via iTunes, I think, but if memory serves, my tracklisting went something like this.
Side A
1. "Trouble Is" - 3:33
2. "Field Day" - 2:28
3. "Things That Make No Sense" - 2:44
4. "The Ambulance Song" - 3:38
5. "Staring at the Rude Boys" - 2:49
Side B
6. "La Penita" - 4:09
7. "Dear Mrs. Touma" - 2:37
8. "Matt" - 1:34
9. "Typical" - 2:37
10. "Here's to You" - 2:49

Bonus 7" or 12" with the following 3 tracks:
"Never Green Lane" - 1:55
"You're Mine" - 3:52
"All Ages Show" - 2:38
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:19 am

I always felt that aside from myself and some of the other folks on this board, very few really get this album in any way. This review by Ned Raggett absolutely nails it, though.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/field-day-mw0000194341

Christgau *kinda* got it, too. I'm pleasantly surprised, but then again, I know Chuck Eddy liked it, too.

https://www.robertchristgau.com/get_album.php?id=916
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:24 am

JGJR wrote:I always felt that aside from myself and some of the other folks on this board, very few really get this album in any way. This review by Ned Raggett absolutely nails it, though.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/field-day-mw0000194341

Christgau *kinda* got it, too. I'm pleasantly surprised, but then again, I know Chuck Eddy liked it, too.

https://www.robertchristgau.com/get_album.php?id=916

These are neat.
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:24 am

JGJR wrote:
gregpolard wrote:Been playing the Field Day LP a lot recently.

We did this a long time ago via iTunes, I think, but if memory serves, my tracklisting went something like this.
Side A
1. "Trouble Is" - 3:33
2. "Field Day" - 2:28
3. "Things That Make No Sense" - 2:44
4. "The Ambulance Song" - 3:38
5. "Staring at the Rude Boys" - 2:49
Side B
6. "La Penita" - 4:09
7. "Dear Mrs. Touma" - 2:37
8. "Matt" - 1:34
9. "Typical" - 2:37
10. "Here's to You" - 2:49

Bonus 7" or 12" with the following 3 tracks:
"Never Green Lane" - 1:55
"You're Mine" - 3:52
"All Ages Show" - 2:38

You can never follow the rules, can you? 10 and only 10!
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:31 am

gregpolard wrote:You can never follow the rules, can you? 10 and only 10!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JGJR

Postby scannest » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:01 pm

So, Field Day posted a setlist from a recent rehearsal on IG and it looks like they have dropped every song they were doing from the FIELD DAY album, except "All Ages Show", which kinda (sorta) doesn't even count. And neither does "Under Your Influence" before you reply, smart-ass.
I know they have to make room for some new songs, but this is still a huge bummer for me.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:03 pm

scannest wrote:So, Field Day posted a setlist from a recent rehearsal on IG and it looks like they have dropped every song they were doing from the FIELD DAY album, except "All Ages Show", which kinda (sorta) doesn't even count. And neither does "Under Your Influence" before you reply, smart-ass.
I know they have to make room for some new songs, but this is still a huge bummer for me.

Oh man....I need at minimum the first 3 songs and Dear Mrs. Touma. Who do we talk to in order to get this rectified?
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:13 pm

gregpolard wrote:
scannest wrote:So, Field Day posted a setlist from a recent rehearsal on IG and it looks like they have dropped every song they were doing from the FIELD DAY album, except "All Ages Show", which kinda (sorta) doesn't even count. And neither does "Under Your Influence" before you reply, smart-ass.

Oh man....I need at minimum the first 3 songs and Dear Mrs. Touma. Who do we talk to in order to get this rectified?

All that plus I'd really like to hear "Typical." That is disappointing. One day that record will get the respect it deserves. Sigh.
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:06 pm

This thread is STILL floating around. LAME-O.

It's been around for 20 years.

20 years of bullshit.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:59 am

Wonder who started that silliness 20 years ago
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:24 pm

Looks like Joe Rivas' band Out of Trust is opening for Field Day in Oxnard on 12/10
lewdd

PreviousNext

Return to daghouse