The Damned - Don't You Wish That We Were Dead

The Damned - Don't You Wish That We Were Dead

Postby lewdd » Fri May 20, 2016 4:36 pm

Just got the Blu Ray today. Will try to watch it this weekend sometime.

Anyone see it yet?
lewdd

Re: The Damned - Don't You Wish That We Were Dead

Postby version sound » Fri May 20, 2016 4:43 pm

Hoping it will show up on a streaming service or even from rental on Amazon Prime.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Sat May 21, 2016 10:04 am

FYI: It's on Amazon Prime. Watching tonight after the kid goes to bed.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Mon May 23, 2016 7:34 am

J Robbins was raving about it on FB. I never thought much at the time about the Damned's influence on latter day GI, but it seems so obvious now.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby Chris Shary » Mon May 23, 2016 8:58 am

The Damned had a massive impact on what a lot of bands in DC sounded like. The influence is all over Minor Threat in particular.
Chris Shary

Postby pedro » Mon May 23, 2016 10:09 am

I've seen this. It's good, but not great.

The often repeated claim that the Damned was overlooked or underrated are definitely true, but I felt hit over the head with it. The Pistols-envy and Clash-envy got a little tiresome and the complaint about the Buzzcocks, who are just as if not more so overlooked, was a bit pathetic. I thought the Captain comes off as a quite likeable goofball with a nasty side. Dave came across as a nice guy, but kind of distant. Rat and Brian come off as bitter fogeys. Especially Rat. But, if you've seen it you know, he doesn't fucking care. I would have liked them to get into the Captain and Dave split with Rat. They touched on it, but there is more to be shared there. The clips of Brian and Rat playing Damned songs were also kind of sad.

I would have liked more clips of the original era and more time spent on the Machine Gun Etiquette and Strawberries eras.

I think I was most excited about seeing Shary's name in the credits. "I know him!" Well, kinda.
Hello.
pedro

Postby Chris Shary » Mon May 23, 2016 11:13 am

Shit, my name is in the credits? Wow, that is neat, neat, neat!
Chris Shary

Postby SamDBL » Mon May 23, 2016 11:22 am

Apparently they used one of Chris Barrows' photos and didn't credit him.
SamDBL

Postby jaybird » Mon May 23, 2016 11:39 am

Chris Shary wrote:The Damned had a massive impact on what a lot of bands in DC sounded like. The influence is all over Minor Threat in particular.

I never got this... Other than Government Issue, I never heard the Damned influence on D.C. bands, even though all those bands raved about them... I always thought bands like Wire, The Ruts and the Bad Brains had a much bigger influence on that scene, and Minor Threat in particular... I hear lots of influence from those bands in D.C./Dischord stuff... the Damned* always seemed more in the vein of Stooges/Ramones/Dead Boys to me, which I don't hear so much of in most D.C. bands of that era.

*Talking about their early stuff... their whole trajectory toward more of a "gothy" sound over the years has even less in common with most of what was coming out of D.C. in the 80s, IMO.
jaybird

Postby Chris Shary » Mon May 23, 2016 11:57 am

Put on "Machine Gun Ettiquette" and then put on "Out of Step", maybe you'll hear the influence.
Chris Shary

Postby pedro » Mon May 23, 2016 12:03 pm

Oh, I forgot. I need to complain about Fred Armisen. WTF is he doing in this movie? At this point I would rather hear Dave Grohl wax poetically about punk than hear from Fred Armisen. Who made this guy the spokesperson for anything? Go away. As usual, he adds nothing.
Hello.
pedro

Postby lewdd » Mon May 23, 2016 12:14 pm

If I recall correctly, Stabb was a big fan of the Strawberries LP. Maybe that is why GI steered further from hardcore as they got older.
lewdd

Postby FlexMyHead » Mon May 23, 2016 12:16 pm

Hmm. Years (and I mean late 80s) I remember hear some songs on a tape and thinking they were all gothy and slow and boring so I avoided them. Their song on Young Ones wasn't that great either. I guess I should check out MGE then? All I know of that is the Swiz cover. Do they really sound anything like GI??
FlexMyHead

Postby jaybird » Mon May 23, 2016 12:23 pm

Chris Shary wrote:Put on "Machine Gun Ettiquette" and then put on "Out of Step", maybe you'll hear the influence.

Eh, maybe... I guess they could be accused of ripping of the bass intro from "Love Song" for "It Follows", but that record as a whole is pretty varied, and is more or less the beginning of their evolution to the gothier type stuff, away from the sort of straight-up hardcore punk. M.T. was known for.

Sorta related : I remember hearing or reading once waaaaay back in the day that Ian supposedly came up with a bunch of the Minor Threat riffs by recording commercial jingles off of T.V. and radio, and then playing them backward, and transposing & speeding up the resultant chord progressions... Kinda like how the melody of "It's the Same Old Song" by the Four Tops is basically "I Can't Help Myself" played backwards. Anyone else ever hear this particular punk rock urban legend?
jaybird

Postby scannest » Mon May 23, 2016 1:24 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:Do they really sound anything like GI??

I hear it a lot on You. Not just the gothic vocals, but the hard-rock-tinged-with-psychedelia guitar sounds.
scannest

Postby Knutsen » Mon May 23, 2016 1:49 pm

jaybird wrote:
Chris Shary wrote:Put on "Machine Gun Ettiquette" and then put on "Out of Step", maybe you'll hear the influence.

Eh, maybe... I guess they could be accused of ripping of the bass intro from "Love Song" for "It Follows", but that record as a whole is pretty varied, and is more or less the beginning of their evolution to the gothier type stuff, away from the sort of straight-up hardcore punk. M.T. was known for.

I do not get the Damned influence in MT as well. Maybe inspiration and verocity, but musically I do not hear any influence, copying of patterns or whatever.
Last edited by Knutsen on Mon May 23, 2016 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby Knutsen » Mon May 23, 2016 1:51 pm

Gf sees The Damned for free tonight. They play for a TV recording of the beloved ARTE station in a gay community center in Berlin. You just had to register online.

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialDamned/posts/10153668961117852?comment_id=10153668999607852&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R0%22%7D
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby jaybird » Mon May 23, 2016 2:24 pm

scannest wrote:
FlexMyHead wrote:Do they really sound anything like GI??

I hear it a lot on You. Not just the gothic vocals, but the hard-rock-tinged-with-psychedelia guitar sounds.

Check the choruses:

jaybird

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Mon May 23, 2016 4:51 pm

lewdd wrote:If I recall correctly, Stabb was a big fan of the Strawberries LP. Maybe that is why GI steered further from hardcore as they got older.

John even loved Phantasmagoria.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Mon May 23, 2016 6:37 pm

It's definitely the Captain era stuff that shows up in DC punk. I forget which song, but ROS ripped off the intro to Hains Point from a song on MGE. Black Album and Strawberries influences are pretty pervasive in GI starting on GI5. The first Snakes LP is very Damned-y too.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby MXV » Tue May 24, 2016 8:17 am

I got a promo bluray sent to me to review. Now I have to find the time to watch it! I've had about zero minutes of free time lately between work/wrestling/shows/planning a wedding.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby Welly » Tue May 24, 2016 8:23 am

Fuck it.
Last edited by Welly on Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby matt » Tue May 24, 2016 10:50 am

Jim Spellman once pointed out to me that if you took the guitar part in this song, slowed it down, and played it with horns, it could totally be a Motown riff.

matt
Site Admin

Postby scannest » Tue May 24, 2016 12:16 pm

matt wrote:Jim Spellman once pointed out to me that if you took the guitar part in this song, slowed it down, and played it with horns, it could totally be a Motown riff.

Umm...yeah, where I come from they're just called HOOKS.

;)
scannest

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue May 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Ok, so (thanks to youtube) last night I listened to all of MGE, the 1st LP, like 2 songs from the second LP and the 1st song from Black Album. For MGE I dug the first 5 songs (maybe one was iffy). The Hain's Point song had to be "Anti-Pope" and the 1st song had the bass riff that sounded a little Minor Threat. After 5th song some shit got wierd, there was some sorta circus shit, some parts had almost Dickies riffs, then just odd stuff, then pretty ripping stuff. A mixed bag. The 1st LP was more straight forward rock-n-punk-roll but the songs didn't grab me right away. I actually like the slower song on Black LP more than the stuff I heard on the 2nd LP. Gonna check out more stuff later, but maybe had I heard the band earlier I'd be more impressed.
FlexMyHead

Postby lewdd » Tue May 24, 2016 1:18 pm

Flex, I should send you a copy of the story about their albums in the latest issue of Vive Le Rock, and thoughts by the band members on the different albums. I read it last night. It was an interesting read.
lewdd

Postby Welly » Wed May 25, 2016 6:53 am

Fuck it.
Last edited by Welly on Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby MXV » Wed May 25, 2016 8:08 am

lewdd wrote:Flex, I should send you a copy of the story about their albums in the latest issue of Vive Le Rock, and thoughts by the band members on the different albums. I read it last night. It was an interesting read.

I'd love to read that as well
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby SamDBL » Wed May 25, 2016 9:43 am

FlexMyHead wrote:some sorta circus shit

:lol:
SamDBL

Postby lewdd » Wed May 25, 2016 6:17 pm

lmk if this link works for you guys to open the pdf of the story about The Damned

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_a3Vp ... sp=sharing
lewdd

Postby drew » Thu May 26, 2016 9:16 am

Watched it on Amazon Prime last night. Really liked it. I didn't know much about The Damned other than I love the albums up until Strawberries and not so much after. Yes, they seem bitter toward the other OG punk bands but the Captain & Dave look fit and comfortable in their current state, no bad drug stories so what more can you want? Having enough money to retire on is a pipe dream for 90% of artists from any genre. If you love playing music get out there and tour and hopefully make a living. Maybe one day they will get " Neat Neat Neat" in a housecleaning commercial or something like that and be able to walk off into the sunset. I def recommend this for fans of the band.
drew

Postby jaybird » Thu May 26, 2016 9:26 am

drew wrote:Watched it on Amazon Prime last night. Really liked it. I didn't know much about The Damned other than I love the albums up until Strawberries and not so much after. Yes, they seem bitter toward the other OG punk bands but the Captain & Dave look fit and comfortable in their current state, no bad drug stories so what more can you want? Having enough money to retire on is a pipe dream for 90% of artists from any genre. If you love playing music get out there and tour and hopefully make a living. Maybe one day they will get " Neat Neat Neat" in a housecleaning commercial or something like that and be able to walk off into the sunset. I def recommend this for fans of the band.

jaybird

Postby JGJR » Thu May 26, 2016 12:57 pm

pedro wrote:I've seen this. It's good, but not great.

The often repeated claim that the Damned was overlooked or underrated are definitely true, but I felt hit over the head with it. The Pistols-envy and Clash-envy got a little tiresome and the complaint about the Buzzcocks, who are just as if not more so overlooked, was a bit pathetic. I thought the Captain comes off as a quite likeable goofball with a nasty side. Dave came across as a nice guy, but kind of distant. Rat and Brian come off as bitter fogeys. Especially Rat. But, if you've seen it you know, he doesn't fucking care. I would have liked them to get into the Captain and Dave split with Rat. They touched on it, but there is more to be shared there. The clips of Brian and Rat playing Damned songs were also kind of sad.

I would have liked more clips of the original era and more time spent on the Machine Gun Etiquette and Strawberries eras.

I think I was most excited about seeing Shary's name in the credits. "I know him!" Well, kinda.

I saw it last year when it screened here. The director's Lemmy documentary was much better. I agree with most of the points above and wanted to add that they didn't interview ((or maybe were declined by) some other key players like Patricia Morrisson and skipped over entire eras as well. I understand that you can only cram so much into an hour and a half, but still...
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu May 26, 2016 12:59 pm

pedro wrote:Oh, I forgot. I need to complain about Fred Armisen. WTF is he doing in this movie? At this point I would rather hear Dave Grohl wax poetically about punk than hear from Fred Armisen. Who made this guy the spokesperson for anything? Go away. As usual, he adds nothing.

Starpower, baby. I'm sure you know about his punk background, but he's on record as being a big fan of Strawberries. I have no beef with him being in it, but like I said before, they could've interviewed other living members.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu May 26, 2016 1:00 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:Hmm. Years (and I mean late 80s) I remember hear some songs on a tape and thinking they were all gothy and slow and boring so I avoided them. Their song on Young Ones wasn't that great either. I guess I should check out MGE then? All I know of that is the Swiz cover. Do they really sound anything like GI??

Dear oh dear, you're in for a treat. MGE knocked my socks off when I was 16 and still does today.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Thu May 26, 2016 1:04 pm

JGJR wrote:
FlexMyHead wrote:Hmm. Years (and I mean late 80s) I remember hear some songs on a tape and thinking they were all gothy and slow and boring so I avoided them. Their song on Young Ones wasn't that great either. I guess I should check out MGE then? All I know of that is the Swiz cover. Do they really sound anything like GI??

Dear oh dear, you're in for a treat. MGE knocked my socks off when I was 16 and still does today.

Listen to the remastered version of MGE from Let Them Eat Vinyl. Awesome!
lewdd

Postby FlexMyHead » Thu May 26, 2016 3:36 pm

SamDBL wrote:

Come on, you really can say that you'd enjoy driving down the road listening to this song?

After that song was done, I looked at my computer, stuck out my middle finger said "Oh fuck you".
FlexMyHead

Postby xxxHunterxxx » Thu May 26, 2016 6:01 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:
SamDBL wrote:

Come on, you really can say that you'd enjoy driving down the road listening to this song?

After that song was done, I looked at my computer, stuck out my middle finger said "Oh fuck you".

Shit. That's my jam right there.
World’s biggest Snakes fan.
xxxHunterxxx

Postby version sound » Thu May 26, 2016 6:38 pm

xxxHunterxxx wrote:
FlexMyHead wrote:
SamDBL wrote:

I'm with the guy with the nice haircut. Love that song.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Thu May 26, 2016 7:20 pm

I wish I can get to see them play again one day. The first time I saw them was at The Metro in Chicago on my 30th bday.
lewdd

Postby SamDBL » Thu May 26, 2016 7:42 pm

MGE blew me the fuck away when I first heard it. But, sort of like Walk Among Us, it didn't totally stand the test of time for me. I think I've always preferred the first two Damned albums. And I really like the later stuff that I've heard here and there, but am not as familiar with.
SamDBL

Postby lewdd » Thu May 26, 2016 8:08 pm

I wonder if Rat can still pound the shit out of the drums like he did on MGE.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Fri May 27, 2016 7:49 am

version sound wrote:
xxxHunterxxx wrote:
FlexMyHead wrote:
SamDBL wrote:

I'm with the guy with the nice haircut. Love that song.

Team Hunter and VS. That song rules.
JGJR

Return to daghouse