Riot Fest Line-Ups Announced

Riot Fest Line-Ups Announced

Postby scannest » Wed May 18, 2016 9:51 am

Take a look at Chicago. That is seriously fun (assuming it's not an overcrowded mud fest - which is a real consideration). There are at least a dozen bands on that bill I wouldn't mind seeing.

"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Re: Riot Fest Line-Ups Announced

Postby gregpolard » Wed May 18, 2016 10:04 am

It's basically like I curated the lineup, minus say...Youth of Today or something haha
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby drew » Wed May 18, 2016 10:19 am

What do you do at these huge shows? Stand in the sun for three days watching band after band after band? That's a little too much for me
drew

Postby FlexMyHead » Wed May 18, 2016 11:23 am

Hmmm. Don't wanna sound like Clash77, but that looks like a Lollapalooza line up, half rapper, indie, metal and so forth. Then Morrissey? I thought this was, at one time, a punk-type thing? I guess there is more $$$ in this. What a hodge-podge of bands.
FlexMyHead

Postby lewdd » Wed May 18, 2016 12:51 pm

They have multiple stages at the event. However, stages are a pretty good hike from each other. It is not easy to get from one to another if you want to see specific bands. It is next to impossible to get to near the stage at one stage and at another right after that. The last time I went which was the first year of the outdoor fest/carnival thing I had a pretty good spot to watch the Descendents in a VIP section, but had to stand over a football field away for the Dropkick Murphys show that started right after the Descendents finished. I hated it and have not been back since. Also, as noted, this is now in a large park. If it rains, there is likely to be lots of mud to be drudged through going from stage to stage. Lastly, this fest started as a club/theater festival with punk and ska bands. Since it has moved to the carnival, the musical genres have widened considerably. Most likely, you will miss some band you want to see because another band you want to see is playing at the same time on another stage. It has turned into quite an event over the years. Unfortunately, it is no longer something that interests me.
lewdd

Postby danny » Wed May 18, 2016 2:34 pm

I dunno - there are only about five or six bands I'd care to see in this line up: Morrissey, Descendants, Hives, Mould and Specials. It's probably sacrilege around these parts - but I could not care less about a misfits reunion.

Most of the other bands I wouldn't cross the street to see...especially in a festival format.
danny

Postby scannest » Wed May 18, 2016 2:49 pm

Whadda bunch of drips. I would really enjoy seeing:

The Dirty Nil, Worriers, Off With Their Heads, Diarrhea Planet, Fu Manchu, Girls Against Boys, Fucked Up, Smoking Popes, Meat Puppets, The Hold Steady, Bob Mould, Chevy Metal, The Hives, Bad Religion, Decendents, Specials, Ween, and Morrissey.

I would certainly sit through the Misfits if I was there.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby pedro » Wed May 18, 2016 2:58 pm

I'm excited to see ???. And ???????. But I've never been into ??????????. They leave me a bit more confused than the others.

danny wrote:Specials

They are playing your home town in September. It's really Terry, Lynval and Horace with some other dudes, but I still might go. They were a ton of fun a couple of years back.

Hello.
pedro

Postby lewdd » Wed May 18, 2016 3:17 pm

The Specials were great several years ago when I saw them here in Chicago, but that was before the drummer died and Roddy Radiation left the band.
lewdd

Postby SamDBL » Thu May 19, 2016 5:48 am

Meh. Descendants, bad religion, bob mould, mifits, done. The misfits were my 'first' punk love. While I don't think this reunion is an end all be all musically, I'll bet the show will be unbelievably fun. The crowd will be so stoked. Stage setup will probably be really cool, etc. it'll be an event, for sure.
SamDBL

Postby matt » Thu May 19, 2016 6:19 am

I got my tickets for Denver months ago, but at this point, this is my least favorite lineup here yet. I'm really disappointed Denver isn't getting GvsB, and there are a number of bands playing Chicago but not here that I'd like to see. I've been able to score all-access passes each year, and I REALLY hope I can this year because it's the only thing that makes these festivals even remotely tolerable for me (i.e. breaks from the crowd, air conditioning, and flushing toilets). I'm old.
matt
Site Admin

Postby jaybird » Thu May 19, 2016 7:18 am

lewdd wrote:They have multiple stages at the event. However, stages are a pretty good hike from each other. It is not easy to get from one to another if you want to see specific bands. It is next to impossible to get to near the stage at one stage and at another right after that. The last time I went which was the first year of the outdoor fest/carnival thing I had a pretty good spot to watch the Descendents in a VIP section, but had to stand over a football field away for the Dropkick Murphys show that started right after the Descendents finished. I hated it and have not been back since. Also, as noted, this is now in a large park. If it rains, there is likely to be lots of mud to be drudged through going from stage to stage. Lastly, this fest started as a club/theater festival with punk and ska bands. Since it has moved to the carnival, the musical genres have widened considerably. Most likely, you will miss some band you want to see because another band you want to see is playing at the same time on another stage. It has turned into quite an event over the years. Unfortunately, it is no longer something that interests me.

All of this, plus the smell of stale, overpriced beers, hot garbage festering in the blazing sun, overflowing porta-johns, terrible sound, dirt/mud, thousands upon thousands of dipshits... Fuck outdoor "festivals".
jaybird

Postby FlexMyHead » Thu May 19, 2016 3:43 pm

scannest wrote:Whadda bunch of drips. I would really enjoy seeing...

Not denying I'm a drip, the only reference I have for Riot Fest was Lewdd mentioning the "after show" tickets were lame and then Bill mentioning his displeasure with them (he worked or volunteered with them for a while). I guess I thought it was more of a Punk Rock Bowling and didn't realize that they had branched out so much. Not saying it's a bad thing and yeah there are bands I'd go see for sure, but maybe not in that setting. Or that state.
FlexMyHead

Postby lewdd » Thu May 19, 2016 4:06 pm

Fuck. I had forgot about that ticket nightmare. Thanks for bringing that back up Flex.

So, I bought a VIP pass for the festival and club shows. I stand in line to see Naked Raygun. Get to the door and I am told that I can't get in because they oversold and exceeded the fire limit. That was the last straw for me.
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Mon May 23, 2016 4:42 pm

I would watch these shows and maybe a handful of others depending on when they played. I've seen all of them already except for the Misfits and Morrissey so it is not worth the hassle to go, and I now have to pay airfare to get there unlike the prior years.

Misfits
Morrissey
Social Distortion
The Specials
Descendents
NOFX
Bad Religion
Bob Mould
Me First & the Gimme Gimmes
Tiger Army
Vandals
Toasters
Off With Their Heads
Deal's Gone Bad
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Mon May 23, 2016 4:51 pm

Just read that Morrissey says that as of now he isn't playing Riot Fest, but looks like it could be subject to change. He is probably upset that GWAR-B-Q are playing.
lewdd

Postby johnnotkathi » Mon May 23, 2016 6:34 pm

I swear to god, I hate the Misfits....to the MAX....
johnnotkathi

Postby lewdd » Fri May 27, 2016 12:10 pm

Morrissey says he is back at Riot Fest now as the Saturday headliner. He must have got his wishes.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Fri May 27, 2016 12:26 pm

johnnotkathi wrote:I swear to god, I hate the Misfits....to the MAX....

Nice Decline reference (even though I like the Misfits).
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Return to daghouse