Voltage Lounge, Philly?

Voltage Lounge, Philly?

Postby lewdd » Tue May 10, 2016 8:30 pm

what do you guys know about this place and the neighborhood around it?
lewdd

Re: Voltage Lounge, Philly?

Postby FlexMyHead » Wed May 11, 2016 7:04 am

Pretty sure I got or gave a HJ to somebody there. Not 100% sure though. Hope that helps!
FlexMyHead

Postby scannest » Wed May 11, 2016 7:53 am

It's almost directly next door to the Electric Factory.
It's a dive.
There's nothing much in the nearby vicinity. Mostly commercial space that is quiet at night. Unless there's a show going on at the Electric Factory. Or the new Fillmore, which is also close by,
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby gregpolard » Wed May 11, 2016 8:41 am

What scanny said. I only went once, and it was oversold. So packed and uncomfortable haha
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby lewdd » Wed May 11, 2016 9:26 am

Not that you guys would enjoy it, but I am thinking about going there for a music fest the Friday and Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend, Take This Bird and Shove It Fest.

Old School UK Oi!:
Infa Riot
The Strike
Special Duties

New School Philly Street Punk:
Duffy's Cut (punked up soul/mod music)
Legion 76

And 10+ other bands.
lewdd

Postby scannest » Wed May 11, 2016 9:46 am

Smells like a clusterfuck in the making, but if you go in with little or no expectations you just might have a good time.
scannest

Postby lewdd » Wed May 11, 2016 10:52 am

scannest wrote:Smells like a clusterfuck in the making, but if you go in with little or no expectations you just might have a good time.

They had the same fest there last year, and it went off pretty good apparently. I think the fact that Philly bands are on the bill may have helped keep it under control as they may have self policed. We will see how much the tix will be when they go on sale. My wife goes to MS for Thanksgiving so it may give me something to do. I can also get that record shopping trip handled at the same time. Hopefully, the Flyers have an afternoon home game on Sat or Sun which would work out great too.
lewdd

Postby johnnotkathi » Wed May 11, 2016 1:47 pm

lewdd wrote:
scannest wrote:Smells like a clusterfuck in the making, but if you go in with little or no expectations you just might have a good time.

They had the same fest there last year, and it went off pretty good apparently. I think the fact that Philly bands are on the bill may have helped keep it under control as they may have self policed. We will see how much the tix will be when they go on sale. My wife goes to MS for Thanksgiving so it may give me something to do. I can also get that record shopping trip handled at the same time. Hopefully, the Flyers have an afternoon home game on Sat or Sun which would work out great too.

When you have free time give us a call!!

On a side note, anyone been to Kung Fu Necktie? Am going there tomorrow night.....
johnnotkathi

Postby scannest » Wed May 11, 2016 2:10 pm

johnnotkathi wrote:On a side note, anyone been to Kung Fu Necktie? Am going there tomorrow night.....

I've been to and played KFN many times. The main room is a lot of fun with good sound and sightines. However, I know they've opened some sort of upstairs space and started booking multiple shows at the same time. I've never been to the upstairs space.
Are you going to the CH3 show? I had a good friend who's band is opening (Sonic Screemers).
scannest

Postby johnnotkathi » Wed May 11, 2016 2:52 pm

scannest wrote:
johnnotkathi wrote:On a side note, anyone been to Kung Fu Necktie? Am going there tomorrow night.....

I've been to and played KFN many times. The main room is a lot of fun with good sound and sightines. However, I know they've opened some sort of upstairs space and started booking multiple shows at the same time. I've never been to the upstairs space.
Are you going to the CH3 show? I had a good friend who's band is opening (Sonic Screemers).

Yes, seeing CH3 tomorrow night. What is your friend's name? Is he the singer? Guitar?
johnnotkathi

Postby scannest » Thu May 12, 2016 9:12 am

johnnotkathi wrote:[Yes, seeing CH3 tomorrow night. What is your friend's name? Is he the singer? Guitar?

Peter is the singer/guitarist for Sonic Screemers. Also plays in the 13 with me. Supremely nice guy.
scannest

Postby JGJR » Thu May 12, 2016 9:17 am

johnnotkathi wrote:
lewdd wrote:

When you have free time give us a call!!

On a side note, anyone been to Kung Fu Necktie? Am going there tomorrow night.....

I've been there many times. A good friend even helped paint the place before it opened in 2008, put the sign up, etc. It's a really small place (holds 140 capacity tops, I think) and the sightlines are poor if you stand in the back near the bar area but if you're up front the sound is great. I can't imagine CH3 is gonna pack the house tonight, but I hope I'm wrong for their sake.

Also, I've never seen a show in the upstairs space (which I believe still allows smoking so if you're really allergic, etc.) and the only time I've been up there is before it opened when my friend was working on it.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Fri May 27, 2016 6:32 am

I just bought my ticket during a limited pre-sale. I guess I will be in Philly TDay weekend.
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Fri May 27, 2016 6:36 am

Sal, check this out. You may actually like it.

lewdd

Postby lewdd » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:34 pm

Any recommendations on a hotel to stay at near the venue? Are cabs easy to find in that area?
lewdd

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:44 pm

Never mind this crap Lewdd.

I better get my BBQ this Saturday.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:45 pm

lewdd wrote:Any recommendations on a hotel to stay at near the venue? Are cabs easy to find in that area?

Wait you're staying Sat into Sunday?

I might split a room with you.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby lewdd » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:01 am

I will be there Friday afternoon thru Sunday sometime. It depends on site seeing and record shopping. Looks like it is really close to the Liberty Bell and other historic sites.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:17 pm

lewdd wrote:I will be there Friday afternoon thru Sunday sometime. It depends on site seeing and record shopping. Looks like it is really close to the Liberty Bell and other historic sites.

It is indeed. As for your question about cabs, very few go up there regularly (that I've seen anyway) so I'd advise getting the Uber app for your phone (assuming you have a smarphone of some sort). It's the easiest way to get around since I-676 is right between the venue and all the historic sites (which makes walking more annoying than it should be). This is why the big dig happened in Boston.

Also, Silk City, Jose's (great fish tacos), Sazon (Venezuelan food), Llama Tooth (pub food with outdoor seating), etc. are all within easy walking distance, most on Spring Garden Street. Jose's is on Buttonwood and 10th.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Return to daghouse