John Stabb

Re: John Stabb

Postby version sound » Mon May 09, 2016 9:46 pm

I guess we all play characters here to a certain extent, but I never really understood why you seemed to want to hide the fact that you are a really good guy. Kevin...plucky, it makes no difference to those of us who have met you, because we know the guy behind the persona is very different from the character you play here, but it couldn't hurt to let the rest of these guys know the real you.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Tue May 10, 2016 9:45 am

Wait, so the scoop thing was an act?

edit: I'm just joking around, that's how I deal with the sadness. pluckster, please stick around. I echo the sentiment that we need folks like you around.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby johnnotkathi » Tue May 10, 2016 9:52 am

version sound wrote:I guess we all play characters here to a certain extent, but I never really understood why you seemed to want to hide the fact that you are a really good guy. Kevin...plucky, it makes no difference to those of us who have met you, because we know the guy behind the persona is very different from the character you play here, but it couldn't hurt to let the rest of these guys know the real you.

Funny with the "persona's" that if you keep the same one, it generally is cool. It only becomes tough when they change a lot....I have a tough time remembering the simple stuff but when names change multiple times over the years, it is tough to keep track..... :D
johnnotkathi

Postby gregpolard » Tue May 10, 2016 10:02 am

For what it's worth, I'm not putting on any persona. I suck this much in real life too.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby sonofa » Tue May 10, 2016 11:22 am

We get the Washington Post at work and they have a real nice obit in the Metro section today.
sonofa

Postby lewdd » Tue May 10, 2016 11:43 am

sonofa wrote:We get the Washington Post at work and they have a real nice obit in the Metro section today.

Can you scan it for us and post it here?
lewdd

Postby pedro » Tue May 10, 2016 11:45 am

Hello.
pedro

Postby version sound » Tue May 10, 2016 11:48 am

gregpolard wrote:For what it's worth, I'm not putting on any persona. I suck this much in real life too.

I like to think that I'm less of a dick in real life, but I'm probably fooling myself.

I think "plucky" has become more Kevin-like over the years, but when I first met him, I was genuinely shocked by how different he was IRL compared to the board persona.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Welly » Tue May 10, 2016 12:44 pm

version sound wrote:I like to think that I'm less of a dick in real life, but I'm probably fooling myself.
Welly

Postby JGJR » Tue May 10, 2016 2:07 pm

earthdog70 wrote:Thanks for sharing that piece JGJR, it really helped me a lot. I'm going to write more later and Lewdd and I are going to work on a special project later on down the line that I think everyone here will get a kick out of. But for me now it's just day by day. :(

That means a lot. Stay strong and I'm looking forward to seeing you next month at PRB!
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby hkphooey » Wed May 11, 2016 7:33 am

I don't frequent the House that often, but this reminds me of the old boards when we had so much activity on here....

Rip John!
hkphooey

Postby lewdd » Wed May 11, 2016 7:58 am

It is good to see a lot of the old timers popping back in here. I hope you guys stick around a bit.

Foxton? Cischord?
lewdd

Postby scannest » Wed May 11, 2016 8:32 am

lewdd wrote:It is good to see a lot of the old timers popping back in here. I hope you guys stick around a bit.

Foxton? Cischord?

I ran into Cissy when I was in DC the weekend after the Dag show (it was at a Dot Dash show, as a matter of fact). He was as charming and loquacious as ever. Such a pleasant surprise running into him again.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby Jeremy » Wed May 11, 2016 12:22 pm

RIP John.

One of my all time favorites.

XOXO - Jeremy
Jeremy

Postby lewdd » Wed May 11, 2016 12:30 pm

cue Mickey?
lewdd

Postby Knutsen » Wed May 11, 2016 1:31 pm

Shit. This really makes me sad.
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby johnnotkathi » Wed May 11, 2016 1:39 pm

Knutsen wrote:Shit. This really makes me sad.

or J Lisa.....err....forget it......
johnnotkathi

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Wed May 11, 2016 9:55 pm

All,
I spoke with Mina (John's wife) last night for over an hour. She asked me to thank everyone (Plucky, etc...) who started the funding account and are keeping it going. She is faced with cleaning up the many outstanding bills right now and she reported that without everyone's love and generosity, she would be critically and financially fucked, especially since she had to resign from her job which they tried their best to hold for her, but could no longer do. When she told me the cost of getting a ventilator sent across the country, I almost fell of the chair.

She told me about John's last days in the hospice and most of it was quite graphic and heartbreaking. As some know, he was very close and dear to my heart from around 1988 or so.

The one thing Mina and I discussed is that there should be some kind of takeaway message from this. Doctors usually recommend that men get a colonoscopy at sometime around 50. She shared that John did have some minor symptoms, but addressed them later than he should have since they weren't severe and he wrote them off as minor symptoms of maybe eating something bad, stomach virus, etc...

When he became violently ill, it was too late and he was in stage 4 cancer.

I'm going to write something up for my facebook page, but the message should be to get that all important test that's recommended for men at the age of (late 40's? to 50). When I research it, I will share.

Once again, she sends her thanks and love.

-JL
xxxMidgexxx

Postby NotBaker » Wed May 11, 2016 10:31 pm

RIP John. I don't have much to share, except for a couple of memories. I met and hung out with John twice, both because of this board. The first time was at a Black Cat show (Looters DC, maybe?) with a number of other DC Dags (Kevin, Ilsa, ???) in attendance. John was fun and friendly, and I bought a GI 7" re-issue from him. A little while later I caught the Factory Incident at DC9 (the same night that Mission of Burma played the 9:30). John rocked the house that night, busting with energy, and was a truly amazing frontman to watch. A sight to see. Cheers to John!
NotBaker

Postby fiestaware » Thu May 12, 2016 1:09 am

^Great GI set if you haven't seen/heard it already. Solid wardrobe choice on Stabb's part!

(Bonus, being late '88, they open with 'Crash')
fiestaware

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu May 12, 2016 3:58 am

fiestaware wrote:

^Great GI set if you haven't seen/heard it already. Solid wardrobe choice on Stabb's part!

(Bonus, being late '88, they open with 'Crash')

I was there. You can see me in the front row.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby Mark T. » Thu May 12, 2016 5:49 am

Dear John,

This is really tough, we will miss you brightening our days with your emoticon filled posts.

Thank you for touching all of our hearts in such a positive way.

Cheers.

Mark T.
Projeckt Daghouse:
PDIV - Thousand Days - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVX7w2iNIfw
Mark T.

Postby Scar66 » Thu May 12, 2016 10:46 am

The scene will never quite be the same. RIP John.
Scar66

Postby FlexMyHead » Thu May 12, 2016 11:23 am

xxxMidgexxx wrote:... As some know, he was very close and dear to my heart from around 1988 or so...

As this photo shows, the feeling was obviously mutual. I know in the past I joked about you wearing a Giants jersey, but I love this photo of two friends enjoying a moment together.

FlexMyHead

Postby scannest » Thu May 12, 2016 11:30 am

Some terrific personal essays on Stabby from folks like Rollins, J Robbins, Tom Lyle, etc.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blog ... ohn-stabb/
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby WrEtcH » Thu May 12, 2016 11:50 am

I wasn't the biggest GI fan, nor did I know him like everyone did here, but there was always a respect for John Stabb & GI, as well as his presence on this board. Where I first got exposed to GI's music was my friend Mel who bought a lot of DC & Dischord stuff. I actually got to see GI twice at the Farm in SF and 924 Gilman and REALLY, they put on a great performance. I could remember Stabb wearing some kind of gas mask during the set. I remember when the news broke on this board, I'd hope he'd pull through, but it sucks that we've lost many band members in the last month. Truly a huge loss to the punk rock genre & the DC scene.
^v^
WrEtcH

Postby lewdd » Thu May 12, 2016 12:00 pm

Thanks for sharing that Scanny. I am having a hard time typing as the tears are clouding my vision of the screen.
lewdd

Postby Marc M » Thu May 12, 2016 5:37 pm

I saw GI several times in SoCal in the mid 80's. That's me on the left in my homemade KISS shirt at Oscars Cornhusker in 1985 at a GI/UC/Dead Milkmen show.

I was lucky enough to meet John at a Descendents/Dag Nasty/JL show in DC in 1986. I remember talking to him after our set. He said he liked the band, but that we were "too loud" and he had to step outside partway through our set!

Anyway, like most of you, I reconnected with him here about 15 years later on this message board, and that is where I really got to know him through his posts, and some messages back and forth. For the last few years, we've kept somewhat in touch via FaceBook.

One of my biggest regrets is not making the trip to one of the GI reunions over the last few years or so, especially the Government "ReIssue" show, or the one with Tom, J., and Pete. Recently, a friend of mine was making the drive down from Ft. Worth to Houston to see GI at a one-off festival they were playing. For whatever reason, he wasn't able to get a pre-sale ticket and was very nervous about driving down 5 hours by himself, and not being able to get in. I reached out to John and told him the situation, and he got back to me immediately and said don't worry, I'll put him on the guest list. He also took the time to meet my friend, and spend some time talking with him at the show. It really made his night.

Anyway, between losing Stabb and Jon Bunch this year, aside from the bigger names as well, it's been a rough one. Here's to a better 2nd half of 2016. And if you have a chance to go see one of your all-time favorite bands, do it. There may not be another chance...
Marc M

Postby NotBaker » Fri May 13, 2016 7:22 am

Wanted to add one more thing. Many on the board have had more meaningful connections with John, but I was thinking this morning about how much I enjoyed his movie review threads. That was some seriously good Dagboardin'.
NotBaker

Postby lewdd » Fri May 13, 2016 7:24 am

NotBaker wrote:Wanted to add one more thing. Many on the board have had more meaningful connections with John, but I was thinking this morning about how much I enjoyed his movie review threads. That was some seriously good Dagboardin'.

They were quite entertaining.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Fri May 13, 2016 8:47 am

Marc M wrote:One of my biggest regrets is not making the trip to one of the GI reunions over the last few years or so, especially the Government "ReIssue" show, or the one with Tom, J., and Pete. Recently, a friend of mine was making the drive down from Ft. Worth to Houston to see GI at a one-off festival they were playing. For whatever reason, he wasn't able to get a pre-sale ticket and was very nervous about driving down 5 hours by himself, and not being able to get in. I reached out to John and told him the situation, and he got back to me immediately and said don't worry, I'll put him on the guest list. He also took the time to meet my friend, and spend some time talking with him at the show. It really made his night.

Anyway, between losing Stabb and Jon Bunch this year, aside from the bigger names as well, it's been a rough one. Here's to a better 2nd half of 2016. And if you have a chance to go see one of your all-time favorite bands, do it. There may not be another chance...

That's the kind of guy John was. I've been lucky enough to be privy to it first-hand myself, but in case I love that story. This is how he should be remembered (along with the music, of course). I thought the "Reissue" show was in 2007 with William from 76% Uncertain (who is on here sometimes) on drums, not Pete, but in any case I was lucky enough to attend the 2010 reunion show with the Tom/J/Pete backing him and it was TREMENDOUS. It's almost unfair that much talent was in that band then. It was great to hear all the mid to late '80s material especially.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby earthdog70 » Fri May 13, 2016 6:32 pm

I dug this out of the archives, I thought some here may want to re-read this. There are some funny quotes from John in this one. This was the day that I first met John in person. I found the audio tape too. I may listen to that down the line, but not right now.

http://www.earcandymag.com/factoryincident.htm

:arrow:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby lewdd » Fri May 13, 2016 7:08 pm

earthdog70 wrote:I dug this out of the archives, I thought some here may want to re-read this. There are some funny quotes from John in this one. This was the day that I first met John in person. I found the audio tape too. I may listen to that down the line, but not right now.

http://www.earcandymag.com/factoryincident.htm

we should rip the tape to mp3
lewdd

Postby kevin » Fri May 13, 2016 8:50 pm

scannest wrote:Some terrific personal essays on Stabby from folks like Rollins, J Robbins, Tom Lyle, etc.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blog ... ohn-stabb/

Thank you so much for sharing Scannest. I finally got up the energy to write on daghouse again. I think this is my first post as Kevin - at least my first post in a long time. John never called me Plucky (outside of this board). John knew me as Kevin. And I think maybe you guys should too.

I wanted that link shared with this board so you can read a little bit about his last moments with us. The reporter at city paper wanted to talk to me on Monday but it took until Wednesday before I felt like I could share. Everything still so raw.

Today I went to the funeral home to be with Mina when she picked up John's remains. His rosewood box and urn are so beautiful. We sat there for a long time and just held John in our hands and told beautiful stories about John. There were lots of tears again today.

John loved this board and I wanted to keep you guys informed when he no longer could post messages here but I've had a difficult time thinking of what to say. I figured you could read what I spoke about in that link so you could rest easy knowing John was at peace.
kevin

Postby lewdd » Fri May 13, 2016 8:57 pm

Kevin, I knew you helped John out a lot getting him back and forth to work and such, but didn't realize that you were so close to him. Thanks for opening up and sharing that with us. I can't imagine what you have been through, but know that we appreciate everything you have done to help John and Mina. I am looking forward to seeing you again one day so you can share more stories with me about how wonderful a guy John was. We can all learn a lesson from that guy on how to be humble and how to be kind.
lewdd

Postby kevin » Fri May 13, 2016 9:20 pm

lewdd wrote:Kevin, I knew you helped John out a lot getting him back and forth to work and such, but didn't realize that you were so close to him. Thanks for opening up and sharing that with us. I can't imagine what you have been through, but know that we appreciate everything you have done to help John and Mina. I am looking forward to seeing you again one day so you can share more stories with me about how wonderful a guy John was. We can all learn a lesson from that guy on how to be humble and how to be kind.

When I called him my brother, he really was my brother. As close as any brother is really meant to be. I can't take any credit for getting him back and forth to work (I guess that was somehow morphed from a perception of an Internet story told, not quite sure). He deserves the credit for getting himself to and from work due to the crazy routes on the bus he would take. Ill open up more about John in time.
kevin

Postby obik » Sun May 15, 2016 3:43 pm

kevin wrote:When I called him my brother, he really was my brother. As close as any brother is really meant to be.

This breaks my heart.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby lewdd » Sun May 15, 2016 4:51 pm

20+ minute segment of Thurston Moore at the Stabb Memorial

lewdd

Postby lewdd » Sun May 15, 2016 6:00 pm

Collage of all of Stabb's album covers listed on Discogs
Last edited by lewdd on Sun May 15, 2016 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lewdd

Postby lewdd » Sun May 15, 2016 7:47 pm

some pics i found here and on the internet

lewdd

Postby earthdog70 » Mon May 16, 2016 8:40 pm

I was finally able to write a short tribute to John tonight. As soon as it is posted online I will toss a link up here. Tough to do but I hope you all like it. :cry:
earthdog70

Postby danny » Tue May 17, 2016 8:31 am

here's a link to where you can order a copy of the limited edit stabb band/emma peel cd: http://mvdshop.com/products/john-stabb- ... urnable-cd

it came out pretty well - and i believe only 150-200 were pressed. most sold at the show - but the remaining copies were put on line by phil venable and brooke delarco.
danny

Postby lewdd » Tue May 17, 2016 10:52 am

My copy of the CD shipped today.
lewdd

Postby Michele » Wed May 18, 2016 2:45 pm

lewdd wrote:
NotBaker wrote:Wanted to add one more thing. Many on the board have had more meaningful connections with John, but I was thinking this morning about how much I enjoyed his movie review threads. That was some seriously good Dagboardin'.

They were quite entertaining.

totally agree
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby Jimmy Heartburn » Thu May 19, 2016 9:03 am

Sorry I'm late to the party here. I had to start a new account as I've long forgotten my password. John's passing hit close to home for me even though I never met him in person, I felt I like I knew him through this board. In fact seeing him post on here in late 2001 was the reason I joined the board in the first place. Also because I've lost my parents and my aunt to cancer within a four year period (and all 3 of them were in their 50's, like John). I always enjoyed his unique posts and wished I got to meet him. I was laughing to myself when I heard the Misfits were reuniting as I knew John was no fan of theirs. I could only imagine what he would've posted on here, it would've been funny. Rest In Peace my friend.
My stupid music blog http://melonvillehc.blogspot.ca
Jimmy Heartburn

Postby Welly » Thu May 19, 2016 9:09 am

Jimmy! Don't be a stranger.
Welly

Postby Jimmy Heartburn » Thu May 19, 2016 9:42 am

Welly wrote:Jimmy! Don't be a stranger.

I'll try not to ;)
My stupid music blog http://melonvillehc.blogspot.ca
Jimmy Heartburn

Postby earthdog70 » Fri May 20, 2016 5:20 pm

I wrote a short tribute to John, please let me know what you think:

http://sheamagazine.com/john-stabb-tamb ... more-26020

earthdog70

Postby lewdd » Sat May 21, 2016 12:36 am

Shit story!

Thanks for sharing, buddy. You know the first sentence was in jest like the jester Stabb himself.

I have known you for almost the same amount of time as you knew John, but have never known how closely the two of you were connected. Thanks for sharing that with us.

This is another story that represents the kindness of Stabb.

Fuck! It is unfortunate that we did not share our appreciation for John while he was living like we have here after his passing. No fault or blame to anyone. I only hope he felt it while he was here with us.

I've run across quite a few punk rock celebs over the years and I am sure some of you have run across more than me. I would be willing to place my credibility on the fact that no one has been as open, kind, and appreciative as John has been to any of us.

In hindsight, the whole scene has slighted John for his contribution to punk rock. It is a blasphemy that his life was as financially challenged as it was. Ironically, I am not sure it mattered to him. He was probably as happy as an every day laborer as he would have been collecting significant royalties from his work.

I can only hope in his afterlife that he has seen how much he has been appreciated for what he contributed to the punk rock scene and to many of your lives.

Keep the stories coming. I am certain they are appreciated by his family and something inside of me says that he is reading them from above and is overwhelmed by us finally giving him his due as one of the leaders of our punk rock inspirations like Ian, Henry, MIlo, Joey, Iggy, Johnny, etc.

Rock on, John. It is unfortunate that your passing may be overshadowed by Prince, Bowie, Lemmy, etc. IMO you have contributed as much to your scene and beliefs as each of them has to theirs. Probably more than them. You continued to reshape the boundaries of punk rock at times when it was more challenging than it is today.

May it continue to be Fun and Games in your honor!

I hope that we can continue to promote your significance in the punk rock scene going forward as you were as significant as any other (albeit most likely less recognized).

I am not sure any of these stories posted here can truly recognize how much you have meant to us. I hope that you can read this from wherever you may be and can feel the love we have for you and recognize that we believe you should be seen as one of the punk rock greats of our time. You are in our "Hall of Fame."
lewdd

Postby The Snake » Sat May 21, 2016 1:14 am

Lewdd, you couldn´t said it better, I totally agree!

Also, all the articles about John that Dags shared here are very well written.
The Snake

PreviousNext

Return to daghouse