John Stabb

John Stabb

Postby obik » Sat May 07, 2016 9:55 pm

For those of you not on Facebook, here is Mina's post from a few minutes ago:

At 7:43 p.m. this evening, my best friend, beloved Meowman, husband and co-conspirator in life John Dukes Schroeder (aka John Stabb) passed away peacefully in my arms after a 112-day battle with stomach cancer. It was only with the immense love and support of our families and so many friends that we were able to seek every treatment possible to save John's life. In time, I will reach out individually and thank each of you. For now, the sorrow and pain in my heart are indescribable.

Many of you are descending upon DC tomorrow night to attend a special benefit show in his honor. I believe that John timed his passing as his gift to us all, a chance to be together to comfort, connect, and love on each other big time. His last words were, "I love you." I know he meant it to be for us all. We love you.

and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Re: John Stabb

Postby obik » Sat May 07, 2016 9:55 pm

Of all the people I've dealt with who were a part of the DC punk scene, John Stabb was without a doubt, the funniest, most laid-back, easiest-to-like of the bunch. We first met via email in, I dunno, 2003 or 2004? We sent messages back and forth, and the end result of that was that John wound up writing the liner notes to the Black Market Baby CD on Dr Strange Records. We first met in person after he was attacked and I ran the charity auctions to help defray his medical bills. He was such a warm, kind, vital human being. We didn't know each other well, but every time I saw him he had a big smile and hug for me. In a scene full of big-hearted people, John was exceptional. Everyone who knew him is diminished by his passing.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby version sound » Sat May 07, 2016 10:15 pm

I feel lucky to have known John even a little bit. The fact that he remembered who I was when I saw him always amazed me, given how infrequently I saw him and how little I actually knew him. I always thought that said a lot about the kind of person he was. A real guy, who connected on a genuine level, even with people he didn't know well. I felt (and still feel) like I got punched in the gut when I heard (read on Facebook, actually) the news, and I barely knew him. My heart goes out to the people who really did know him. I imagine they feel 1000 times worse than I do. RIP John.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby SamDBL » Sat May 07, 2016 10:42 pm

So terrible. He was one of the nicest dudes I've ever met.
SamDBL

Postby Hal » Sat May 07, 2016 11:49 pm

Thank you John, for everything. RIP
Hal

Postby Michele » Sun May 08, 2016 3:11 am

I disapperead from the board since a while, but I guess it's right to say hello to our own sir.Stabb on here, we met here and he was close to me, we trade messages and chats, he wrote me a long letetr when I ordered his dvd and drop me some flyers and such, but most of all he was nice and I liked a lot to read his posts on here. So, goodby sir. Nothing more to be said :(
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby The Snake » Sun May 08, 2016 3:27 am

I didn´t know John personally, but following him through this board and dozens of interviews, he seemed like a nice person.
Also, John was involved with one of the best hardcore punk bands, Government Issue that still influence people all over the world and I think that he left a really big legacy with his music.
John, you will be missed, thank you.
The Snake

Postby Welly » Sun May 08, 2016 4:11 am

RIP John Stabb.

I don't know what else to say.
Welly

Postby johnnotkathi » Sun May 08, 2016 4:27 am

The beautiful post from Mina made my eyes well up. My guts hurt but I am happy he is at peace and his pain has ended. Thoughts are with his family and friends.
johnnotkathi

Postby Michele » Sun May 08, 2016 4:39 am

Would like to believe in a afterlife, Jacopo would be there to welcome John and talk about hardcore in Heaven, Sadly, I'm an atheist, so no such a thought can relief my pain :(
Michele

Postby pedro » Sun May 08, 2016 5:04 am

I met John in the 80's. I'd seen his band a billion times and I saw him on the Metro. I introduced myself and he was really nice. I never really "knew" him that well, but I would run into him here and there (we were both serious red line riders) and we would say hello and maybe a quick story. Well, he would tell the story, which sometimes wasn't so quick, and I would do the listening. He was a really funny guy. He was really genuine and always made me smile. The last time I saw him, early this year, I was coming up the escalator and I could hear his voice before I saw him. He was holding court with some guy I didn't know. When he saw me he yelled out "Hey Pedro!" as I emerged from the escalator. We chatted briefly. It is kind of funny that after I started posting here, he started calling me "Pedro" in real life. I'm already missing those encounters on the Metro.

Thanks John. For the music and those encounters on the Metro. Rest in peace.
Last edited by pedro on Sun May 08, 2016 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello.
pedro

Postby wALLton » Sun May 08, 2016 5:32 am

Unfortunately this was the first thing I read in my Facebook feed this morning, so sad to hear this tragic news. While I never had the chance to meet Stabb in person, we shared several PMs and thread conversations here at the Daghouse and as others have said because of the interactions here I felt like I knew him. And I always imagined that if I one day had the chance to visit D.C. that we would get to meet and maybe share a "girly drink" or two as he always seemed so approachable and happy to make time for his fans. Such a straight up, sincere dude, I will miss his online presence but my enjoyment of his music and the memories I have of John will never cease. RIP my favourite avenging punk rock Godfather.

There's a hole in the scene, where John Stabb used to be. :(
wALLton

Postby lewdd » Sun May 08, 2016 5:33 am

I met John through this board many years ago. Even cashed in frequent flyer miles in an attempt to get him to a DBL and The Bomb show in IL so he could potentially sing a song with Pezzati. Weather prevented that oppty for us to meet. Finally met him at The Evens show at Ft Reno and had margaritas with him afterward with Edog. He treated me like he knew me for a lifetime and went out of his way to introduce me to Ian. i will never forget that generosity and friendliness. He used to send me cassettes of his bands outside of GI to rip them to CD for him. Always had a nice note in the package. You will be missed by many, John, but it is because of your kindness that you will forever be remember by many. RIP Stabb
Last edited by lewdd on Sun May 08, 2016 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
lewdd

Postby Gary » Sun May 08, 2016 5:46 am

A truly sad day.

RIP
Gary

Postby dude munhoz » Sun May 08, 2016 7:23 am

R.i.p.
dude munhoz

Postby captain2man » Sun May 08, 2016 7:34 am

The "You" record made a monumental impression on 13-year-old me when it came out and was still a regular listen (along with so many other records in the G.I. catalog).

The 2010 reunion show at the Black Cat will always go down in my memory as one of the greatest shows ever. Exactly how I wanted that reunion show to be.

Getting to interact with John a little bit on here was amazing and I only hope that he's now at peace.

R.I.P John.
captain2man

Postby version sound » Sun May 08, 2016 7:45 am

Yeah, like Pedro, he mostly called me by my board handle, but I still think of most of the board members I've met IRL by theirs too. As many people have already pointed out, John made you feel like a friend, even if you had never met him. Don't get me wrong, John loved to talk about his bands or whatever else he was doing, and was not shy about being the center of attention, but I don't think he ever made anyone feel like they were the fan and he was the star. He instantly treated everyone like a friend.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby Michele » Sun May 08, 2016 7:45 am

lewdd wrote: He treated me like he knew me for a lifetime and went out of his way to introduce me to Ian. i will never forget that generosity and friendliness. He used to send me cassettes of his bands outside of GI to rip them to CD for him. Always had a nice note in the package. You will be missed by many, John, but it is because of your kindness that you will forever be remember by many. RIP Stabb

couldn't have said it better, bro
Michele

Postby drew » Sun May 08, 2016 8:25 am

I got to meet John a few times and between that and the little bit of correspondence with thru the board he treated me like we knew each other much better than that. A truly nice person who appreciated any love that was given his music. I don't know what else to say except I am sorry for his loved ones and those close to him. RIP John
drew

Postby shelflife » Sun May 08, 2016 8:40 am

captain2man wrote:
The 2010 reunion show at the Black Cat will always go down in my memory as one of the greatest shows ever. Exactly how I wanted that reunion show to be.

R.I.P John.

It was a very special evening, for sure. It was there that I was fortunate enough to get a few minutes with him and, like everyone else here has said, he treated me as though we had known each other forever. Such a genuinely kind and gracious individual. Cannot say that of every "legend" I've ever met but that title suits John perfectly.

RIP, brother. My condolences to Mina and to his family here on the board.
shelflife

Postby MikeD » Sun May 08, 2016 8:58 am

I'm not going to pretend that John and I were best friends , but we shared some awesome moments I will never forget.

The fact that he always remembered me amazed me with what little contact we had over the years.

We are all worse off today

RIP Mr Stabb
MikeD

Postby Welly » Sun May 08, 2016 9:14 am

Of all the punk rock people I've had dealings with over the years writing band histories for the zine etc. I can think of only one who still replied after it was published. A true gent. I always got the impression that John felt he never got his due when the punk rock books started getting written, and that was one of my main inspirations to write a big in depth piece on GI in a recent issue, and John was keen and helpful throughout. Not that it matters one iota in the scheme of things, but GI was such a big influence on a teenage me, I even still have a pen and ink of Stabb I copied from the back of Boycott Stabb in high school.
Last edited by Welly on Sun May 08, 2016 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Postby earthdog70 » Sun May 08, 2016 9:23 am

Extremely hard to type these words. But I am definitely thinking of Mina and John's family today.

I may write more later. But I consider myself extremely lucky to have been a friend and band mate of John's. We had some great times together. His kindness towards his friends was truly remarkable.

RIP John. You will be missed, every day. :cry:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10748285@ ... 457344041/

One more good one-Lewdd, Plucky, me and John:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10748285@ ... 680231789/
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby william » Sun May 08, 2016 10:10 am

One of the coolest moments of my life was to get to play with some friends/peers/idols of mine.
However you slice it, one of them has left this planet and he will be missed. So many people loved John.
If you ever were lucky enough to meet him and just hang out and talk with him, you would have realized he was probably the coolest, kindest, most down to earth person you might ever meet.
When I found out what John's real last name was, it always brought to mind that piano playin' kid from Peanuts. That would always bring a smile to my face. I don't think I ever told him about that. I guess that's something we can both discuss another place and time.

Love to all who loved him and were close to him.
The universe is a little off-kilter right now because of this. It's been published that his last words were "I Love You". That went out to all of us. We all love you too, John.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUWii6QtV7c
william

Postby FlexMyHead » Sun May 08, 2016 10:17 am

Thoughts go out to those directly impacted by this sudden loss and those, like myself, that didn't know him well but got a chance to interact and be entertained by him as both a musician and as a person and grieve the loss all the same.

As I read over the other's post describing John's personality and their interactions with him, I kept thinking of one word and that was candor (the quality of being open and honest in expression; frankness). John's candor was a huge part of who he was and that brought a light to the music scene that he was a part of (and to everything he touched).

Take care John.

....some trips last forever....
FlexMyHead

Postby william » Sun May 08, 2016 10:19 am

Michele.
Remember after that show when we all were at the hotel room you booked and we talked until a million-o'clock. It was then when I really got to know John...just hanging out and shootin' the shit. What a brilliant, kind, beautiful person.
I wish I could just transport myself down toe the Black Cat for tonight to see everyone and pretty much just hug everybody.
Stabby liked hugs and would give them back, 10 fold.
XO
william

Postby lewdd » Sun May 08, 2016 11:25 am

lewdd

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Sun May 08, 2016 11:31 am

Sick over this. Beyond words.

Rest in Peace my Stibby Moo. Thanks for being a friend and making my life better with all the fun and laughs and music.

Broken hearted.
JL
xxxMidgexxx

Postby earthdog70 » Sun May 08, 2016 1:05 pm

Just got sent this, nice quote from Danny:

http://wtop.com/music/2016/05/d-c-punk- ... er-battle/

:cry:
earthdog70

Postby lewdd » Sun May 08, 2016 1:22 pm

nice story...thanks for sharing
lewdd

Postby JoeR » Sun May 08, 2016 2:10 pm

I thought I'd come by to the old house, I like what you've done with the place. all of you, that I've interacted here, good and bad, have made me a better person. you guys helped me through some tough times. John Stabb was one of those people. I'd let him know that via direct message, a few times, so I don't feel I missed that opportunity. but I guess, I just wanted to come home and see everyone see how you all are doing. we lost Jacopo those years back, and we bound together, losing John, a friend, a hero, a legend, sucks, but I just think about how great it was to see his mind at work in his posting. we were pretty lucky to have that. I know most of us are friends on FB, but...well this place just seemed the right place to say this stuff, just for you guys

anyway, I hope everyone is well. I'm living great these days. take care all.
JoeR

Postby fiestaware » Sun May 08, 2016 3:34 pm

Kinda related to the story I told a few months ago here - and the most common observation people seem to make: Stabb could make a total stranger feel like a friend within seconds. That's an amazing and rare skill. We should all aspire to be a little more like that - casually generous with our time and energy. And is there anything more punk than breaking down the performer/fan wall in this way?

Imagine Stabb's typical manic-gregariousness multiplied by all the (thousands?) of shows he played, plus the day-to-day stuff - on the metro, in a cafe, at a market. Just think about it for a minute. It's not easy to get your mind around - the trail of incidental goodwill he must've generated over the decades.

What I didn't bother to mention in that previous post was that Stabb fronted me a t-shirt after that gig. Just for showing up, I guess. Mina was actually the one to go back inside and retrieve it. A small gesture on their part, but it was a token of a sort of friendliness that is too rare in this world.
I don't normally wear band t-shirts, but I'll be wearing one today.

Thank you for everything, Mr. Schroeder.

High jump!
fiestaware

Postby Michele » Sun May 08, 2016 4:30 pm

JoeR wrote:I thought I'd come by to the old house, I like what you've done with the place. all of you, that I've interacted here, good and bad, have made me a better person. you guys helped me through some tough times. John Stabb was one of those people. I'd let him know that via direct message, a few times, so I don't feel I missed that opportunity. but I guess, I just wanted to come home and see everyone see how you all are doing. we lost Jacopo those years back, and we bound together, losing John, a friend, a hero, a legend, sucks, but I just think about how great it was to see his mind at work in his posting. we were pretty lucky to have that. I know most of us are friends on FB, but...well this place just seemed the right place to say this stuff, just for you guys

anyway, I hope everyone is well. I'm living great these days. take care all.

What you posted really hit my sould, I mean, my exact feeling to pay a visit at home and say how much important this was and still is... You could not image how I must thank every single one of you for making my life possible on those hard times, we shared stories (good and bad), but most of all we supported one each other along the years. Stabby was one of those welcoming me with open arms and heart, he was true, kind, gentle and eevrything, it could sound rethoric or usual stuff you post about someone missing, but you were here to witness this and know I'm telling the truth. peace
Michele

Postby Chris Shary » Sun May 08, 2016 5:27 pm

John made me be a better person, and I am sick with his loss. My heart goes out to Mina who was his rock.

…my reasons to check the board have greatly diminished with John's passing.
Chris Shary

Postby johnnotkathi » Sun May 08, 2016 6:03 pm

So here I sit, pretty weirded out. I feel like I just lost a very close friend. Yet,I have never met or directly spoken with John. We have IM'd, PM'd, EM'd and every other kind of virtual method of connection, without ever having met. We may have connected because we both are singers (although he is much more accomplished), we are both "elder statesmen" of the Dag Board or we just got along. In February we had planned to meet for a drink as I was going to be in the DC area for work. Days before we were set to hang out, he got sick.

Yet here I sit, totally bummed.

Is it validation of the virtual world? No, it is validation of what a great guy John was/is. His kind and robust personality could burst through the virtual world and make human connections. I am very sad and miss him.
johnnotkathi

Postby lewdd » Sun May 08, 2016 6:08 pm

I think Edog and I will be enjoying a margarita at PRB NJ in memory of Stabb. Everyone else is welcome to join us to tell stories.
lewdd

Postby the mean » Sun May 08, 2016 8:26 pm

RIP Stabby. We are lucky, as a community of musicians, to leave a legacy past our death. John may not be around in the flesh anymore, but a piece of him lives on in his music. I'm thankful for this.
the mean

Postby sonofa » Mon May 09, 2016 8:11 am

My first punk show was GI at Western Maryland College in June of 1988. Being from Hampstead , MD (corn fields/cows) this was a big deal and everyone in the area went. I was still in High School. I then saw GI again during the Crash tour at Towson State University I believe winter of 1989. I had the honor of meeting Sir Stabb. He was hanging around a common area and spoke to me and my friends for like 30 minutes. He took the time to speak to a bunch of kids (I had just started college) and even dedicated "Strange Wine" to the Hampstead Crew. I then saw them again at the final show at the old 930 and he remember me and again dedicated Strange Wine to the Hampstead Crew. To a 18/19 yr old Punker, this was the greatest thing ever and he was so kind. I then saw him on here and went to a couple shows and met him a couple times at the Ottobar. I went to the reunion show at the Black Cat and I felt 18 again. One of the nicest people ever. I last saw him play the Rock and Roll Hotel last July with Mission of Burma. I told him the previous stories and how much it meant to me. I also got a chance to meet Mina who is just so sweet. I'm glad I had a chance to tell both of them before he got sick. He will be missed!
sonofa

Postby MXV » Mon May 09, 2016 8:15 am

I came home from a 10 hour day of putting on a wrestling show to open up facebook and have Mina's post show up in my feed. I was in a great mood from the show and suddenly felt like getting punched in the stomach. John and I weren't close, but we were friends for many years, mostly conversing though email and various social media outlets. I did a record with him and I worked with him and Tom on various GI reissue projects. Any time I ever spoke to him either in person or though mail it always put a smile on my face.

I wrote this post on my Facebook yesterday. Since I don't have many of you on my friends list there, or if you are like Lew and "off the grid", here's what I wrote:

I first met John Stabb when I was 18 years old. Government Issue, one of my favorite punk rock bands of all time, played a show at Club Dreamerz and after the show my shy, younger self approached John and asked him if he would do an interview with me for my fanzine. John happily said yes and then proceeded to spend close to an hour (along with J. Robbins) talking to this kid he never met before who was asking him questions he probably had been asked hundreds of times over the years. He never seemed annoyed, he never lost the enthusiasm in his answers, and he seemed more than happy to spend as much time doing the interview as I liked. He was one of the nicest people I'd ever met in a band. I walked out of that club, tape in hand, ecstatic that one of my "punk rock heroes" whose music changed my life was such a genuinely nice guy.

Fast forward more years than I can remember and our paths crossed again, this time for good. I can't even recall why or how we came in contact again because in my current old man adult life, I don't remember a time when I wasn't in contact with him on a semi-regular basis. During some conversation I had with him either via email, private message, or message board, he mentioned that he wished that the first Government Issue demo would get released as he liked it better than the Legless Bull single. I had a little record label and I offered to release it. John happily agreed. Older me couldn't believe that one of my punk rock heroes would want to do a record with this slightly less shy guy with a little label he ran out of his spare bedroom. John was happy to do it, and he really was happy with how it turned out. It was a huge honor for me, as was working with him and Tom Lyle on the GI vinyl reissues for Dr. Strange.

The last time I saw John was last summer at Riot Fest. He stopped by the fest during the day and I ran into him near the press tents. We talked for awhile and he was every bit the nice and happy guy I first met 28 years prior, only this time we were just a couple of friends talking and catching up, not some kid interviewing the singer of one of the best punk bands ever. Seeing him and talking to him made my day and I felt awful that I didn't have more time to stay and chat as I had to go shoot some bands. I easily could have spent the entire day hanging out with him and I wished I could have.

Last night I came home from a really long and fun day to see a post from John's wife that he lost his battle with cancer yesterday. It broke my heart.
John Stabb was one of the kindest souls I've ever met in the world of punk rock, and he was the singer of one of my favorite bands ever. He was also someone I was honored to call a friend and I'm sure going to miss our interactions. I'm really happy that in his final years on this planet, he had found love and such a wonderful partner in Mina, he truly deserved to be with someone so caring. I can't believe he's gone and our little world of punk rock will never be the same without him. Rest in peace my friend and thank you for not only the life-changing soundtrack to my formative years, but for your kindness, support, and friendship.
The Punk Vault: http://www.punkvinyl.com
MXV

Postby JGJR » Mon May 09, 2016 9:32 am

I posted my thoughts yesterday, but for those of you who aren't on FB (specifically thinking of lewdd and earthdog here, but there may be others), please check it out.

http://bigtakeover.com/essays/rip-john-stabb
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon May 09, 2016 9:41 am

lewdd wrote:I think Edog and I will be enjoying a margarita at PRB NJ in memory of Stabb. Everyone else is welcome to join us to tell stories.

I'm planning on joining you guys for that round of drinks (and on finally meeting you in person, lewdd).
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Mon May 09, 2016 9:45 am

JGJR, I have read about a half dozen music mag articles about John's passing, and yours was by far the most personal and touching. Great job!

And, I am looking forward to that margarita with you!
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Mon May 09, 2016 10:10 am

lewdd wrote:JGJR, I have read about a half dozen music mag articles about John's passing, and yours was by far the most personal and touching. Great job!

And, I am looking forward to that margarita with you!

That means a lot. Thank you. Sincerely. I REALLY appreciate you saying that as I really poured my heart into that piece and like how it came out. I'm glad to see others relating to it and getting something from it (I'd say "enjoying" but in reality we're all in mourning).
JGJR

Postby plucky » Mon May 09, 2016 3:37 pm

One day, when I'm ready I may be able to share more. It's been difficult for me to talk about it. For now I will just say that I was so fortunate to visit John several times in the hospital including this past Saturday, less than 2 hours before he passed away. I was even more fortunate to have been friends with him for so long. As silly as it may sound, just know that he really cared about this board with all of his heart. He enjoyed each and every encounter especially when it translated to meeting you guys at a show. I'm forever heartbroken. He was truly a brother to me.
plucky

Postby obik » Mon May 09, 2016 3:49 pm

As someone posted, John had an amazing ability to make people who hardly knew him feel like great friends. I can't imagine what it's like for those who were truly close to John--Mina, and Mika, and you, Pluckster, to say nothing of all his brothers-in-arms from the DC punk scene, his family, and even Astro and Pocky.
and i cried
aloud to heaven
and i knelt
on all six legs
and vowed a vow
of vengeance
obik

Postby gregpolard » Mon May 09, 2016 5:38 pm

Honestly at a loss for words. I know some of us don't always see eye to eye on here, but this place is a tight knit little community and any interaction I had w/ John was always pleasant and funny and he was cool on the ol' FB too. I am crushed to hear of his passing and more crushed I never had a chance to meet him in real life.

Now, more than ever, I feel that the meet up at PRB is definitely in order.
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby clash77 » Mon May 09, 2016 5:42 pm

Like many here,I have few words to say.Thank you John!!.A special human being.You will be missed by many Sir.
clash77

Postby plucky » Mon May 09, 2016 7:52 pm

I think for now on I'm going to drop the plucky persona as I think some people might think that is me in real life. I'm going to go back to Kevin. It's who I am. It's who those that know my best know about me. Sorry if plucky ever annoyed you. Signing off.
plucky

Postby lewdd » Mon May 09, 2016 8:43 pm

plucky wrote:I think for now on I'm going to drop the plucky persona as I think some people might think that is me in real life. I'm going to go back to Kevin. It's who I am. It's who those that know my best know about me. Sorry if plucky ever annoyed you. Signing off.

Call yourself whatever you want on here, just stay an active participant. We need more like you.
lewdd

Postby earthdog70 » Mon May 09, 2016 9:34 pm

Thanks for sharing that piece JGJR, it really helped me a lot. I'm going to write more later and Lewdd and I are going to work on a special project later on down the line that I think everyone here will get a kick out of. But for me now it's just day by day. :(
earthdog70

Next

Return to daghouse