Lungfish

Re: Lungfish

Postby version sound » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:05 pm

I feel like they’re kind of niche. Their fan base is enthusiastic enough to drive up the price of the OOP records, but not big enough to warrant big runs when Dischord does repress. I bought a sealed OG Pass and Stow more than 10 years after it came out, and IIRC, it was under $15.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:10 pm

FLIP!
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby scannest » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:24 am

the mean wrote:MY RANKING OF LUNGFISH ALBUMS (plus the best song from each)
Love is Love (Unfold the Leg)

I listened to this one yesterday's based on the mean's rave. I've shied away for years after seeing them open up for someone back-in-the-day and just not connecting with them.
They are still very much an acquired taste. Virtually every song consisted of a single riff/progression repeated ad infinitum with no choruses or bridges to speak of. You either find it hypnotic or you get bored pretty quickly. I'd say I fell somewhere in the middle. I enjoyed listening to it, but I'm not compelled to return again an again to glean any more subtle nuances.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby the mean » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:57 am

version sound wrote:I feel like they’re kind of niche. Their fan base is enthusiastic enough to drive up the price of the OOP records, but not big enough to warrant big runs when Dischord does repress. I bought a sealed OG Pass and Stow more than 10 years after it came out, and IIRC, it was under $15.

There was an interview with Ian sometime around the turn of the century (Heldlikesound maybe) where he said Lungfish records barely break even but he loved the band so he would put out whatever they did.
the mean

Postby JGJR » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:19 am

This is a band I've always meant to listen to and thanks to this thread, I finally checked out Love is Love. I liked it so much on 1st listen that I ordered the new repress after a few songs. I hadn't done that in a while, namely buying something I wasn't that familiar with kind of on a whim, so that felt good. Thanks for the heads up on that reissue, y'all.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:11 pm

Today’s listens:

Pass and Stow
Rainbows from Atoms
Unanimous Hour
Necrphones

Current favorite LP: Necrophones

This weekend, I’m going to hit Smash and Joint Custody and see what Lungfish vinyl they have in stock.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:08 pm

version sound wrote:Today’s listens:

Pass and Stow
Rainbows from Atoms
Unanimous Hour
Necrphones

Current favorite LP: Necrophones

This weekend, I’m going to hit Smash and Joint Custody and see what Lungfish vinyl they have in stock.

We really need each others phone numbers for these kind of trips :lol:
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby gregpolard » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:09 pm

Today I listened to "Necrophones" and "Love is Love". Both rule.
gregpolard

Postby patient_ot » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:38 pm

I like the band but in large doses they can be a bit much. I've got "Pass and Stow" and "Unanimous Hour" on CD, but nothing else. I've liked most of what I heard from them but always put this band on the back burner and forget about them.
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:29 pm

patient_ot wrote:I like the band but in large doses they can be a bit much. I've got "Pass and Stow" and "Unanimous Hour" on CD, but nothing else. I've liked most of what I heard from them but always put this band on the back burner and forget about them.

They are a band I forget about a lot of the time, but when I do remember, I tend to delve deep. I’ll probably have gone through their entire discography by the end of the week. Same thing happens with Swiz (though they are always on my mind), or more specifically Shawn Brown. If I listen to one record with him on it, I usually can’t stop until I’ve gone through nearly every record he’s been on.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby gregpolard » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:08 pm

version sound wrote:
patient_ot wrote:I like the band but in large doses they can be a bit much. I've got "Pass and Stow" and "Unanimous Hour" on CD, but nothing else. I've liked most of what I heard from them but always put this band on the back burner and forget about them.

They are a band I forget about a lot of the time, but when I do remember, I tend to delve deep. I’ll probably have gone through their entire discography by the end of the week. Same thing happens with Swiz (though they are always on my mind), or more specifically Shawn Brown. If I listen to one record with him on it, I usually can’t stop until I’ve gone through nearly every record he’s been on.

This makes sense to me.
gregpolard

Postby JGJR » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:34 pm

gregpolard wrote:
version sound wrote:

This makes sense to me.

Piggybacking on this to say the same here. It took me a very long time to finally listen to this band, but now I'm totally hooked. I listened to Love is Love 3x yesterday and part of A.C.R. today and I've ordered the former and bid on a copy of the latter.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:24 pm

I wrapped up the catalog today with Love is Love, Feral Hymns, and ACR. I used to think that the earlier catalog was weaker than the later stuff, but my re-listen this week proved me wrong. I still have a preference for the mid/late period stuff, but the early stuff is great too.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby B.S. » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:35 am

I never got to see this band sadly. My first time finding out about Lungfish was in that Punk Planet issue with Joe Strummer on the cover. It was probably one of the most insightful interviews I read and it was quite impressionable on my fifteen year old brain. However, I didn't actually hear them until 2006 when a friend had "Nothing is Easy" on his Myspace profile. The universe worked in mysterious ways because later that week, the guy at the record store was jamming some record of theirs. I've been a huge fan since and if I had to rank my faves on the spot, it's 1)Love is Love 2)Sound in Time 3)Artificial Horizon 4)The Unanimous Hour 5)Talking Songs for Walking/Necklace of Heads. Not too long after that, I got a job at a different record store and was going through the bins and found a copy of Reptile House - Listen to the Powersoul but instead of buying it, I hid it somewhere. When I tried finding it on my next shift, the record was gone. I didn't get a copy of it until two years ago.

I went to a gallery in NYC in 2008 or 2009 where Dan and Asa had their art displayed. Apparently both of them performed a few days before I visited. I'm not always in the mood for the post-Lungfish projects but they're nice to throw on in the background when I'm working or just chilling. Also, Angel Olsen is one of my contemporary faves and on one of her livestreams last year, she mentioned that Dan Higgs was an influence, which probably explains his artwork being on the cover of Burn Your Fire For No Witness and the vibe of her earlier material.
B.S.

Postby earthdog70 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:07 pm

Just listened to a CD of Feral Hymns this week and dug it. Will most likely get that vinyl reissue soon :idea:
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Postby JGJR » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:48 am

Update: A.C.R. is coming to me soon and I was able to get another want off my list from the same seller, all for about 20 bucks including shipping. I love Discogs.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:06 pm

Picked up sealed copies of Talking Songs and Rainbows from Atoms for $12.99 each this weekend. Pretty sweet deal considering that new LPs from Dischord are $15 these days. Three to go...
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:13 am

version sound wrote:Picked up sealed copies of Talking Songs and Rainbows from Atoms for $12.99 each this weekend. Pretty sweet deal considering that new LPs from Dischord are $15 these days. Three to go...

Good work! What store, if I may ask?
JGJR

Postby version sound » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:19 am

CD Cellar in Virginia. It was weird, they also had two copies of Pass and Stow, both the reissue. The sealed one was $12.99 and the open one was $15. Huh?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:18 am

So my copy of the Love is Love reissue shipped yesterday and I have A.C.R. coming to me later today along with something else unrelated to Lungfish that I ordered from Permanent Records in LA. Getting excited!
JGJR

Previous

Return to daghouse