Blackgaze

Blackgaze

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:03 pm

Well, it sounds better than "post-bm shoegaze" which sounds like you popped on some Slowdive after having a shit. Anyway, it's black metal mixed with shoegaze like Scanny's faves Deafheaven. I stumbled on Cold Body Radiation while doing an eBay search for Forgotten Woods, and I'm digging it. If you liked Deafheaven, give it a shot.

“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Re: Blackgaze

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:22 am

Perhaps you guys prefer black gays?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:13 am

Racist homophones.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby FlexMyHead » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:39 am

Anybody know, off-hand, what thread has the most posts that also only contains posts from the OP? You think three might be a record?
FlexMyHead

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:08 pm

I WILL NOT BE IGNORED.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby FormerLurker » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:35 pm

FlexMyHead wrote:Anybody know, off-hand, what thread has the most posts that also only contains posts from the OP? You think three might be a record?

:lol:
FormerLurker

Postby version sound » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:22 pm

FormerLurker wrote:
FlexMyHead wrote:Anybody know, off-hand, what thread has the most posts that also only contains posts from the OP? You think three might be a record?

:lol:

I'm pretty certain I've done more than three before. If there was going to be a new record, you guys fucked it up, didn't you? I'm trying to WORK here.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:27 am

I'll just come out and say it since no one else will. Is anyone else just skeptical of indie rock's recent fascination with metal? I don't get it personally.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:40 am

JGJR wrote:I'll just come out and say it since no one else will. Is anyone else just skeptical of indie rock's recent fascination with metal? I don't get it personally.

Based on what I see on Pitchfork, metal is "hip" right now. Generally, I'm skeptical about any indie rock/metal crossover, but in this case the instrumental bits remind me enough of a heavier Dif Juz that I enjoy it.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby JGJR » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:55 am

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:I'll just come out and say it since no one else will. Is anyone else just skeptical of indie rock's recent fascination with metal? I don't get it personally.

Based on what I see on Pitchfork, metal is "hip" right now. Generally, I'm skeptical about any indie rock/metal crossover, but in this case the instrumental bits remind me enough of a heavier Dif Juz that I enjoy it.

I just don't think I can get past my skepticism. I kind of miss the old days of very little or no crossover between indie/punk and metal.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:29 am

I generally agree that the best metal is made by true heshers or European weirdos, but some of the hipster metal is a'ight.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:13 pm

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:

I just don't think I can get past my skepticism. I kind of miss the old days of very little or no crossover between indie/punk and metal.

yeah, it is also weird how accepted it has become in hardcore. i remember running into old punk friends after i stopped going to hc shows for awhile and when i said i was just checking out metal i got all kinds of shit for it. most of it wasn't in a serious nature, but you could tell those guys were bummed out about it. now it seems like you average hc kid might know more about metal these days as opposed to hc. i guess how heavy it has become made it more acceptable to punk/hc circles.

i don't even know about the reason for the indie/hipster fascination with it, but i am guessing it has more to do with the "shock" element of the original black metal scene as opposed to really liking the music.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby version sound » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:29 pm

I thought punks got over the whole anti-metal thing by 1984. The fact that so much modern hardcore would have been considered straight-up metal in the '80s makes this particularly silly.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:58 pm

version sound wrote:I thought punks got over the whole anti-metal thing by 1984. The fact that so much modern hardcore would have been considered straight-up metal in the '80s makes this particularly silly.

yeah i agree, but metal was still a dirty word, even in the 90s in some circles. i remember even bands would try to skirt around it. earth crisis(who essentially played metal) said in an interview i had that they were into entombed and napalm death(which were cool to be into at that point), but denied being metal heads. then like 2 years later, they were playing the second stage at ozzfest. it was kind of a big joke, i mean, don't be embarrassed about what you listen to. there is also an earache records blog where you can ask the old guys questions. in 92, ripping corpse were up for being signed to earache, but the A&R guy admitting to passing on them due to the "hardcore look and vibe" of the singer even though the band was death/thrash metal, and the guy was definitely singing in metal vocals.

i would run into a punk i knew in like 2000 and get shit for liking judas priest. i would counter with them listening to the same 30 powerviolence records for 15 years.
yourenotevil

Postby Michele » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:25 pm

black metal is not stuff for posers, deafheaven are just indie guys playing post rock witha hint of black metal... let's put the black back in metal ;)
I was blessed all of my life for loving metal cause metal was uncool... now tehy tend to make it fashionable and this makes me sick :evil:
"Punker": Damnit, your english is confusing!
"Version Sound": Damnit, your english is amazing!
"Cischord": Damnit, my English is confusing!
Michele

Postby Michele » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:31 pm

beside deafheaven, I don't dislike black metal mixed with shoegaze, just I don't like the hype and pitchfork kinda guys playing with it...
Michele

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:22 pm

Michele wrote:black metal is not stuff for posers, deafheaven are just indie guys playing post rock witha hint of black metal... let's put the black back in metal ;)
I was blessed all of my life for loving metal cause metal was uncool... now tehy tend to make it fashionable and this makes me sick :evil:

i always thought black metal had run its course. it was so explosive and violent, and most of the originators are dead or in jail. i didn't care for most of the post 99/2000 BM i heard. i am sure there are some good bands here and there, but i think death metal has alot more to offer these days.
yourenotevil

Postby patient_ot » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:14 pm

This is one of the 2000s subgenres I totally missed out on. I've listened to a few tracks here and there on youtube or whatever and none of it really grabbed me at all. Funny, because I love 90s brit shoegaze stuff, some 90s blackmetal , and stuff like Skullflower.

There is a vice documentary on modern black metal that is kind of interesting but it didn't leave me wanting to go out and buy a bunch of the profiled groups' records. The only modern black metal band I really liked was Weakling, and their LP is almost 15 years old at this point.

For black metal, I'd rather just listen to Bathory, or any of the albums from the Scandinavian second wave I got into back in the mid-90s. There are a few bands I missed the first time around, like Vinterland, that I really enjoyed discovering over the last year or so.

I could probably say the same thing for death metal. The only "new" death metal I've bothered getting was the new Gorguts album, which is quite good. My problem with modern death metal mostly stems from the slick, clicky production, overly tech songwriting, and loudness war mastering...it gives me headache and there really isn't that I like enough about it to warrant a real deep dive into it.
patient_ot

Postby Michele » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:39 pm

this is the real black metal evolution/contamination you should check in my opinion:
http://denovali.com/celeste/
Michele

Postby yourenotevil » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:25 pm

patient_ot wrote:This is one of the 2000s subgenres I totally missed out on. I've listened to a few tracks here and there on youtube or whatever and none of it really grabbed me at all. Funny, because I love 90s brit shoegaze stuff, some 90s blackmetal , and stuff like Skullflower.

There is a vice documentary on modern black metal that is kind of interesting but it didn't leave me wanting to go out and buy a bunch of the profiled groups' records. The only modern black metal band I really liked was Weakling, and their LP is almost 15 years old at this point.

For black metal, I'd rather just listen to Bathory, or any of the albums from the Scandinavian second wave I got into back in the mid-90s. There are a few bands I missed the first time around, like Vinterland, that I really enjoyed discovering over the last year or so.

I could probably say the same thing for death metal. The only "new" death metal I've bothered getting was the new Gorguts album, which is quite good. My problem with modern death metal mostly stems from the slick, clicky production, overly tech songwriting, and loudness war mastering...it gives me headache and there really isn't that I like enough about it to warrant a real deep dive into it.

yeah, 1st and second wave BM is what i like the most. some of those early bands still make good records(like abigor and darkthrone), but it can be very hit or miss.

most of the death metal i like is the older stuff. the problems you list are basically my problems with it, as it all starts sounding the same and too overproduced. there are still some good og bands putting out good records-suffocation, incantation and immolation come to mind. for new stuff i would recommend disma and funebrarum, which both feature darly kahan from citizens arrest(on guitar for disma and sings for the latter). pure old school DM worship, but not a direct carbon copy.
yourenotevil

Postby Michele » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:22 am

I totally agree on overproduction and triggered stuff, that's why I love the black metal/crust contaminations like i.e. my friends Orhorho
http://orhorho.bandcamp.com/album/demo
that's were the metal side is put aside and the black part turns to its original splendour ;)
Michele

Postby patient_ot » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:04 pm

yourenotevil wrote:
yeah, 1st and second wave BM is what i like the most. some of those early bands still make good records(like abigor and darkthrone), but it can be very hit or miss.

most of the death metal i like is the older stuff. the problems you list are basically my problems with it, as it all starts sounding the same and too overproduced. there are still some good og bands putting out good records-suffocation, incantation and immolation come to mind. for new stuff i would recommend disma and funebrarum, which both feature darly kahan from citizens arrest(on guitar for disma and sings for the latter). pure old school DM worship, but not a direct carbon copy.

I've not heard any of the newer DT stuff other than a song or two from youtube. I know that their recent album seemed to be well received. Honestly, I've probably been avoiding the newer stuff because it means that I'd end up dropping a ton of cash filling in holes in my DT collection. The "trilogy" of BM albums they did from the early 90s are really the only DT I know.

I've heard of Disma, maybe checked out a song or two. Can't remember what I thought. Aren't they basically an old lineup of Incantation? I was never a big fan of that band. Their first album is pretty good though. For Immolation, I really like Here in After, but haven't heard anything else that grabbed me by them. I think the vocals grate on me after awhile...they really nailed it on that particular album though.
patient_ot

Postby yourenotevil » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:44 pm

disma is craig from incantation and i think maybe the bass player was also with them at one point, but it is basically a project band for all of those involved. the vinyl is ridiculously priced, but i think it is worth checking out the mp3s. they have one album and a demo and a split ep.

immolation were pretty solid, but i think they peaked after their first couple of records.

yeah, i would not claim to be all that up on recent death metal. the last time i was actively seeking out new bands was like 2006. my roommate worked for century media and i got a ton of free(mostly bad) cds and he could always get me into a bunch of shows. that was probably the height of click track, overdone DM. stuff like cryptopsy, origin and necrophagist was really trendy to be into and emulate. i remember playing some older DM for his friends and they would be like, "this production blows." it was almost like playing some black flag for some hc kid who thinks hatebreed is the best hc band of all time.

metal is pretty frustrating at times and almost more rigged than hc is these days. most of the classic or top tier bands from outside of the U.S. never tour, and if they do come, they do a one off appearance at something like the maryland death festival and expect you to travel to see them and their records are priced for 30 bucks or so. but these days, i am more inclined to listen to it than hc.
yourenotevil

Postby Michele » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:51 pm

darkthrone last records are great, but honestly they did a lot of good albums and have a solid discography, probably they're my actual fave band coming from the old wave, even if I couldnìt call their actual stuff black metal.
I really love latest Enslaved stuff, but even they looks to eb far from what the original BM phormula was about, so I prefer to mention them as extreme metal with a psych/prog side.
Coming to other bands with a link or roots in the BM scene I would like to mention Triptykon, Ephel Duath, Ihsanh solo albums and Ulver
Michele

Postby Michele » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:54 pm

if you want to tate some actual BM you could check this sampler:
http://www.cvltnation.com/endless-torment-vol/

Endless Torment, over two and a half hours of underground black metal! This mix is a journey into world that has many different textures and sonic ghost swirling inside of it. Endless Torment vol.1 features songs Disguster, Leucosis, A Pregnant Light, Witch In Her,Torture Chain,Lake of Blood, Altar of Plagues and many more. Now press play and let yourself take a 2 and half hour voyage into a sea of endless torment!
Michele

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:45 pm

Michele wrote:darkthrone last records are great, but honestly they did a lot of good albums and have a solid discography, probably they're my actual fave band coming from the old wave, even if I couldnìt call their actual stuff black metal.
I really love latest Enslaved stuff, but even they looks to eb far from what the original BM phormula was about, so I prefer to mention them as extreme metal with a psych/prog side.
Coming to other bands with a link or roots in the BM scene I would like to mention Triptykon, Ephel Duath, Ihsanh solo albums and Ulver

triptykon are awesome, i hope they come back to the US. don't know Ishahn's solo albums but i saw him and his wife do something with a drum amchine opening for Emperor in 99 and it was fucking horrible. enslaved are cool, but i prefer the first couple of albums.

DT def get the award for most varied sound album to album. in some way, i like soulside journey the best, but i count that as almost a whole other band. i would tend to prefer the BM stuff over the newer stuff, but the last cd was pretty good. i think they were pretty spotty before that though.
yourenotevil

Postby Michele » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:52 am

this is the opening track from Ihsahn last album, Eremita, I like it quite a lot...

http://youtu.be/NFU5HrjB5_w
Michele

Postby version sound » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:55 am

Maybe you guys should revive the heavy metal thread.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby yourenotevil » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:05 pm

version sound wrote:Maybe you guys should revive the heavy metal thread.

that was mostly filled with warrior's praise of hair metal bands.
yourenotevil

Postby Michele » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:37 am

some interesting new albums in streaming:

Oranssi Pazuzu 'Valonielu'
http://noisey.vice.com/blog/stream-orannsi-pazuzus
this is a real intriguing mix in between black metal and kraut

Wolvserpent "Perigaea Antahkarana"
http://www.stereogum.com/1476302/stream-wolvserpent-perigaea-antahkarana-stereogum-premiere/album-stream/

Ihsahn, a track from the upcoming album
http://loudwire.com/ihsahn-tacit-exclusive-song-premiere/
Michele

Return to daghouse