Last Five Things You Listened To

Re: Last Five Things You Listened To

Postby patient_ot » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:25 pm

scannest wrote:
lewdd wrote:Wiki says Billy Squier is power pop

Closer to pop-metal? Is that a thing? What do you call it if Hair Metal doesn't quite fit? Nerf Metal? I like the sound of that.

Trans-Am Rock
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:46 pm

patient_ot wrote:
scannest wrote:

Closer to pop-metal? Is that a thing? What do you call it if Hair Metal doesn't quite fit? Nerf Metal? I like the sound of that.

Trans-Am Rock

xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:01 pm

JGJR wrote:
patient_ot wrote:
scannest wrote:

Trans-Am Rock

First thing I thought of.
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:59 pm

patient_ot wrote:
JGJR wrote:
patient_ot wrote:
scannest wrote:

Trans-Am Rock

First thing I thought of.

Great minds... :lol:
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:41 am

Henry Threadgill Sextet - Subject to Change
Julian Cope - Fried
Smiths - Strangeways
Relatively Clean Rivers - s/t
Marion - The Program
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:44 am

V/A - The Harder They Come soundtrack
Split Enz - Waiata
Soulside - Trigger
Bo Burnham - Inside (if I'm being honest, this is my favorite new album of the year so far in any genre)
The Meters - Struttin'
JGJR

Postby version sound » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:13 pm

Velvet Underground - WL/WH (stereo and mono)
Velvet Underground - Live at the Gymnasium
Cro-Mags - AOQ
Warzone - Don’t Forget the Snuggles
Side By Side - You’re Only Young Once
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:36 am

Buffalo Tom - Birdbrain
U2 - Achtung Baby
That Petrol Emotion - Chemicrazy
13th Floor Elevators - Psychedelic Sounds
Earl Morgan - DC Dub Connection
patient_ot

Postby version sound » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:20 pm

Slow Crush - Aurora
Slow Crush - Ease EP
Car Crash Sisters - Sundance Sea
Destruction - Sentence of Death
Slowdive - S/T
Harold Budd ▪ Elizabeth Fraser ▪ Robin Guthrie ▪ Simon Raymonde ‎– The Moon And The Melodies
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby patient_ot » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:58 am

Aes Dana - Inks
U.X.A. - Illusions of Grandeur
XTC - English Settlement
Micah Frank - Cambria
American Music Club - Live at Slim's 1993
Matthew Sweet - Son of Altered Beast
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:08 am

Bobby Ramone - Rocket to Kingston (Marley vox set to Ramones music; it actually works and is awesome! https://guerillaasso.bandcamp.com/album ... o-kingston)
Descendents - Milo Goes to College
Descendents - Bonus Fat
Elvis Cosstello - Get Happy!!
My Bloody Valentine - You Made Me Realize
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:34 am

I agree with your take on Bobby Ramone. I turned a friend onto it last night and he was blown away by it.
lewdd

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:17 am

lewdd wrote:I agree with your take on Bobby Ramone. I turned a friend onto it last night and he was blown away by it.

Word and I hope it comes out on a physical format because that one and Bo Burnham's Inside are my 2 favorite 2021 releases so far that are digital-only at this point.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:33 am

JGJR wrote:
lewdd wrote:I agree with your take on Bobby Ramone. I turned a friend onto it last night and he was blown away by it.

Word and I hope it comes out on a physical format because that one and Bo Burnham's Inside are my 2 favorite 2021 releases so far that are digital-only at this point.

While this is fairly well executed, I kinda hate the whole idea. Do we really need to co-opt and corrupt black culture any more than we already have? Island already made his music more honky-friendly, do we really need to totally remove it from its original context for the white kids who didn’t buy Legend in college?
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby lewdd » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:38 am

I prefer to look at it as a 2 Tone type collaboration of bringing two different cultures together.
lewdd

Postby drew » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:39 am

YOB- The Illusion of Motion
DIO- Holy Diver
Descendents- 9th & Walnut. Making me very happy right now…..
….And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead- Madonna
Quicksand- Distant Populations- The three tunes available now are …..meh….just meh…kinda disappointed with what I’ve heard so far…….
drew

Postby scannest » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:46 am

version sound wrote:While this is fairly well executed, I kinda hate the whole idea. Do we really need to co-opt and corrupt black culture any more than we already have? Island already made his music more honky-friendly, do we really need to totally remove it from its original context for the white kids who didn’t buy Legend in college?

That certainly is a talking point, right there.
"It's got some great chanting on it" - gregpolard.
scannest

Postby jaybird » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:45 am

Descendents - 9th & Walnut
Black Valley Moon - Spectral Melodies 7"
Black Valley Moon - The Baleful Sounds Of:
Laurence Vanay - Galaxies
France Gall - Poupee De Cire
jaybird

Postby version sound » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:59 am

lewdd wrote:I prefer to look at it as a 2 Tone type collaboration of bringing two different cultures together.

How would you guys react to Ian’s vocals on a Minor Threat record being repurposed with a modern hip hop or EDM backing? I’ve already seen plenty of belly aching about hip hop and R&B artists wearing punk t-shirts and punked-out leather jackets. It seems like some folks are only comfortable with the cultural appropriation going in one direction…

Island already went pretty far to make Bob palatable to a white audience. To completely recontextualize him like this is a step too far, IMO. Aesthetically, it’s a fun listen, but it whitewashes Bob a little to much for my tastes. I grew up with a bunch of white suburban kids who discovered reggae in high school. I remember the general feeling being that reggae was great because it was such “happy” music. So, it seems to me that a lot of people don’t even really understand reggae i it’s original context. To make it straight white music neuters it altogether.
Last edited by version sound on Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:11 am

version sound wrote:How would you guys react to Ian’s vocals on a Minor Threat record being repurposed with a modern hip hop or EDM backing?

Now that you mention it, I would...absolutely not give even the tiniest of shits. I don't think Ian would either.
scannest

Postby version sound » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:13 am

scannest wrote:
version sound wrote:How would you guys react to Ian’s vocals on a Minor Threat record being repurposed with a modern hip hop or EDM backing?

Now that you mention it, I would...absolutely not give even the tiniest of shits. I don't think Ian would either.

You probably wouldn’t. I don’t think the same could be said for the “rap is crap” contingent of punk rock.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby scannest » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:15 am

version sound wrote:You probably wouldn’t. I don’t think the same could be said for the “rap is crap” contingent of punk rock.

Sure, but they would just think it sucked. I don't see them having much concern for cultural appropriation, unless they were just out to troll the libtards.
scannest

Postby version sound » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:22 am

You really think there isn’t a latent element of racism and fears of cultural appropriation of white culture in people who are triggered by seeing Kanye in a leather jacket with the COC logo on the back? If I’ve learned anything in the last 4 or 5 years, it’s that a lot of Americans are a lot more racist than I thought they were.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby jaybird » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:23 am

scannest wrote:

X2

This seems like a kinda similar thing going in the opposite direction... these dudes' whole approach is rapping over old punk song samples... I kinda dig it.

jaybird

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:30 pm

lewdd wrote:I prefer to look at it as a 2 Tone type collaboration of bringing two different cultures together.

I think it's bringing this idea to life. I think VS kinda misses the point, though of course I get where he's coming from here. But anyone who wants to listen to the Marley stuff not sanitized for white audiences (though the Island stuff is still GREAT, even past when Bunny and Peter left) should just listen to the Lee Perry produced stuff from the late '60s/early '70s or my favorite era, the early to mid '60s ska/r'n'b fusion they started out with and pioneered.

JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:32 pm

version sound wrote:

How would you guys react to Ian’s vocals on a Minor Threat record being repurposed with a modern hip hop or EDM backing? I’ve already seen plenty of belly aching about hip hop and R&B artists wearing punk t-shirts and punked-out leather jackets. It seems like some folks are only comfortable with the cultural appropriation going in one direction…

Island already went pretty far to make Bob palatable to a white audience. To completely recontextualize him like this is a step too far, IMO. Aesthetically, it’s a fun listen, but it whitewashes Bob a little to much for my tastes. I grew up with a bunch of white suburban kids who discovered reggae in high school. I remember the general feeling being that reggae was great because it was such “happy” music. So, it seems to me that a lot of people don’t even really understand reggae i it’s original context. To make it straight white music neuters it altogether.

"straight" white music from a band dressed like gay street hustlers and a guy who wrote "53rd and 3rd." Ummkay... :lol:
Last edited by JGJR on Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:34 pm

scannest wrote:

This already happened in the late '80s. Let's be honest and call Ministry not "industrial," but a synth-pop band who added heavy guitars and harsher vocals later on, so I submit Pailhead as proof that he would actively want to do something like that maybe in the right context.
JGJR

Postby version sound » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:10 pm

JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:"straight" white music from a band dressed like gay street hustlers and a guy who wrote "53rd and 3rd." Ummkay... :lol:

If you are honestly going to argue that The Ramones are anything other than a bunch of white dudes from Queens, then you are living in a parallel universe. If you don’t think that taking a black artist playing what is very much a black music and transforming their work into something more palatable for white punks is 100% issue-free, then I really don’t know what to tell you. It’s not a fuck of a lot different from Bing Crosby covering black artists, except they actually took his voice to do the white washing. Im sure that wasn’t the intention of the person who did it, but Jesus Christ man, if you guys have no clue whatsoever why it might be problematic, then we are more fucked as a country than I even thought we were.

Ian sang on the Pailhead shit. No one took his Minor Threat vocals and stuck them on other music after he was dead.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby version sound » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:21 pm

PS: Johnny Ramone was a woman beating right wing fuckface, so please don’t try to hold him out as some kind of outsider in some way that equates with the black experience in America. Even his own bandmates seemed to recognize what an asshole he was.
“Go fuck a football”
- vinylgirl
version sound

Postby jaybird » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:38 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:
version sound wrote:"straight" white music from a band dressed like gay street hustlers and a guy who wrote "53rd and 3rd." Ummkay... :lol:

If you are honestly going to argue that The Ramones are anything other than a bunch of white dudes from Queens, then you are living in a parallel universe. If you don’t think that taking a black artist playing what is very much a black music and transforming their work into something more palatable for white punks is 100% issue-free, then I really don’t know what to tell you. It’s not a fuck of a lot different from Bing Crosby covering black artists, except they actually took his voice to do the white washing. Im sure that wasn’t the intention of the person who did it, but Jesus Christ man, if you guys have no clue whatsoever why it might be problematic, then we are more fucked as a country than I even thought we were.

Ian sang on the Pailhead shit. No one took his Minor Threat vocals and stuck them on other music after he was dead.

Jews aren't white, for the Center Square!

jaybird

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:07 pm

version sound wrote:
JGJR wrote:

Right, but my point is that he has sang on music that's not sonically a million miles from electronic stuff, so he maybe he wouldn't mind a similar treatment of his own vocals set to something else? I don't know, though. You'd have to actually bother him in Glover Park or Mt. Pleasant one day and ask him. :lol:

I know who the Ramones were. Remember that 2 of them were Jews in an immigrant neighborhood, one of whom was born in Hungary, I think (Tommy). I don't understand how you can compare Pat Boone (guessing you were thinking of him covering Little Richard and outselling his versions, not Bing, but not 100% sure here) to what's essentially an album's worth of mash-ups made by no one knows who because of the obvious legal ramifications fo using such well-known music without consent/clearance.

We are fucked as a country (and a planet for reasons far greater than mash-ups that might be problematic or whatever. In case you haven't noticed, the world is burning (we gotta put it out), literally and figuratively, and flooding due to extreme weather and climate change. Please don't take this personally because I think you're a good person and well-intentioned here, but the above type of argument is exactly my problem with the kind of (typically) myopic rich white liberal hysteria over these kinds of issues. I mean in the old days, we used to complain about the PMRC or whatever right-wing nutjobs or Senators' wives were censoring rap, metal, punk, and even Prince, but now we do it to ourselves just to have something to fight about when there are far bigger concerns.

Sure, we have billionaires going into space while there's a pandemic and income inequality is at its highest level since the Great Depression and people seem to have forgotten all about the revolutionary energy of the protest movements of last summer and cops are still killing black people almost daily, but we are fucked because someone felt like putting Marley vox over Ramones tracks. OK then...

But back to Marley, he (or more to the point, his music and legacy) long ago became essentially the property of the world. Blame Chris Blackwell and the other folks who compiled Legend, but that ship sailed long ago.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:09 pm

version sound wrote:PS: Johnny Ramone was a woman beating right wing fuckface, so please don’t try to hold him out as some kind of outsider in some way that equates with the black experience in America. Even his own bandmates seemed to recognize what an asshole he was.

C'mon everyone knows he was the right-wing asshole of the band, so that would be laughable. I don't think it's a secret. But he was the outlier of the 4 of them. That is undeniable.
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:12 pm

jaybird wrote:Jews aren't white, for the Center Square!

I know you meant this as a joke and you're making fun of anti-Semitic tropes (at least I hope that's what you're doing), but as a Jew myself, I actually believe this to be true. That is a conversation that is far larger than this thread, though.
JGJR

Postby lewdd » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:53 pm

Haha, this argument has become comical and has become a very good example of the "cancel" culture that our country is going through right now.

I don't care if a rap artist copies some samples of a punk song. It's not my cup of tea, I won't listen to it, and probably wouldn't even know it happened.

Life's about choices. I can chose what I want to listen to and what I want to ignore. Not to mention things I am oblivious to because I don't even know that they exist because they are not in the realm of my "news" channels.

Why do I need to understand reggae and what does that really mean? Should I have to understand punk rock too? Hell, I didn't experience what the UK bands of the 70s and 80s were experiencing in the UK. Does that mean I can't like the music because I don't know what they were experiencing?

I wasn't born when the Delta Blues was recorded and have know idea what those musicians hardships were. Does that mean I can't enjoy their work?

If we limited ourselves to what we have experienced and songs that were directly about our life experiences we would be very limited culturally.

So, in general, I do not agree with the argument about "cancelling" Bobby Ramone!
lewdd

Postby drew » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:45 am

JGJR wrote:V/A - The Harder They Come soundtrack
Split Enz - Waiata
Soulside - Trigger
Bo Burnham - Inside (if I'm being honest, this is my favorite new album of the year so far in any genre)
The Meters - Struttin'

Thanks for the Bo Burnham review. We are listening right now in the backyard…..you are 100% correct. This is the best album of the year.
drew

Postby JGJR » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:59 am

drew wrote:
JGJR wrote:V/A - The Harder They Come soundtrack
Split Enz - Waiata
Soulside - Trigger
The Meters - Struttin'

Thanks for the Bo Burnham review. We are listening right now in the backyard…..you are 100% correct. This is the best album of the year.

Yes! You should watch the special on Netflix, too, if you haven't already. We've seen it twice now. I can't get most of those songs out of my head and I have no complaints about that. "Bobby Ramone is problematic, he's a problem..." :lol: :lol: :lol:
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:31 am

Stuff I've listened to over the past few days:
Negative Approach - 7"
Raw Power - Screams from the Gutter
Zero Boys - Vicious Circle
The Kinks - Kinda Kinks

The Kinks - The Kink Kontroversy
The Jam - Sound Affects
The Jam - All Mod Cons
The Kinks - Something Else
The Kinks - Face to Face
JGJR

Postby patient_ot » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:49 pm

Ian McCulloch - Faith & Healing EP
Microdisney - The Clock Come Down the Stairs
Teardrop Explodes - Kilimanjaro - OG mix
Paul Chambers - Bass on Top
Scientist - Heavyweight Champion
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:44 pm

More than 5; deal with it.

Upright Citizens - Make the Future Mine and Yours
Upright Citizens - Bombs of Peace
Graham Parker - Vertigo
Descendents - Cool to Be You
Voivod - The Outer Limits
The Who - Sell Out (mono)
Necracedia - Fight for Change 7"
Graham Parker - "Love Without Greed" 7"
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:02 pm

Descendents - ALL
Descendents - Enjoy!
Descendents - I Don't Want to Grow Up
Big Star - Radio City
Patti Smith Group - Radio Ethiopia
JGJR

Postby Knutsen » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:58 pm

War on Drugs
Flyboys
The Sound
Sparta
The Who
Listening to Punk today is like listening to Glenn Miller in 1982.
Knutsen

Postby patient_ot » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:18 pm

Killing Joke: Extremities, Dirt, etc.
Teardrop Explodes: Kilimanjaro
Teardrop Explodes: Wilder
Orbital: Snivilisation
Prince: Controversy
patient_ot

Postby JGJR » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:23 am

Alice Coltrane - Kirtan Turiya Sings
Fleetwood Mac - Tango in the Night
The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
J Dilla - Donuts
VANO3030/BADBADNOTGOOD - "Running Away" single
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:09 pm

Suffocation 'Pierced from Within'
Oscar G 'Live at Space, Miami'
8 new tech house tracks I bought on Beatport. Unmixed....but Imma mix em on Traktor.
xxxMidgexxx

Postby JGJR » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:22 pm

Today's playlist:
Senor Coconut - Baile de Aleman
Bo Burnham - Inside
Descendents - Everything Sucks
Descendents - Hypercaffium Spazzinate
Sons of Kemet - Black to the Future
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Jane's Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual
JGJR

Postby xxxMidgexxx » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:02 pm

Cannibal Corpse 'Violence Unimagined'
Sepultura 'Quadra'
Morbid Angel 'Gateways to Annihilation'
At the Gates 'The Nightmare of Being'
Testament 'Titans of Creation'
xxxMidgexxx

Postby patient_ot » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:54 pm

Derek Carr - Arrival
Steven Rutter - Riddle Me Sane
Cheikh Lo - Bambay Geeuj
Luscious Jackson - Fever In Fever Out
Texas - Southside
patient_ot

Postby Gary » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:17 pm

Descendents-9th & walnut lp
Black Flag-my war lp
MDC-millions of dead cops lp
Bootlicker lp
Civic-future forecast lp
Rory Gallgher-cleveland calling pt.2 lp
Jackson Reid Briggs & the Heaters-waiting in a corner lp
Gary

Postby JGJR » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:20 pm

Wild Carnation - "Dodger Blue" 7"
Glenn Branca - Symphony No. 1
Simple Minds - New Gold Dream
Descendents - I Don't Want to Grow Up
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Take Them On, On Your Own
JGJR

Postby JGJR » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:52 am

Yaz - Upstairs at Eric's
Zounds - singles box set
Jawbreaker - Unfun
The Cure - The Walk
Jawbreaker - Chesterfield King
JGJR

PreviousNext

Return to daghouse