Flag Day

Re: Flag Day

Postby WrEtcH » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:32 pm

my bad. I misunderstood ya. now I know what you guys are talking about

^v^
WrEtcH

Postby JGJR » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:43 am

Last night's show here in Philly was terrific. FLAG are as great as everyone was saying (and as the YouTube videos showed) and it was an absolute pleasure to witness those songs being played live. I'm still stunned at how great Keith was at singing material well beyond his era in the band ("My War" especially), but for me the mini-set with Dez on vocals (though he doesn't have the stage presence of Keith; so few do, though) might have been the highlight.

As other have noted, Chuck was very animated (and had a cheering section). A birthday cake was brought out for Keith by Jack Grisham (whom I spoke to briefly between TSOL's set and FLAG's; I picked up his new book and got it signed) and he blew out the candles. Everyone seemed to be super into it and having a great time, Bill managed to play Robo's fills and cumbia rhythms masterfully. Stephen may not have been on any of the recordings, but boy did he play that stuff just right.

And speaking of TSOL, we got there about 10 minutes into their set, but I really enjoyed what I heard. I wish the sound was better at the Troc and specifically for their opening set (why couldn't this have been at Union Transfer?) and I think they should play more stuff from Beneath the Shadows and their newer records, too, but I can't complain when the set is heavy with classics from the 1st 12" and Dance with Me.

I wish we'd been able to catch Cerebral Ballzy and F.O.D., but we got there too late. Oh well.

All in all, it was a great night. Oh and I'd heard Milo was in attendance, but he didn't sing with them on this night.
xxxMidgexxx wrote:But perhaps I just love drone stuff in general.
JGJR

Postby gregpolard » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:58 am

Best part of the show for me was stepping into two feet of wet cement before the show....
scannest wrote:It's like a filmmaker saying "Spielberg is my idol. Every time I get behind the camera I think about how I can make my film as good as Hook"
gregpolard

Postby yourenotevil » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:00 am

NotBaker wrote:DYS "Unloaded" is a good song. If you don't like it, you might not like punk rock.

As for a lot of the punk rock reunions just being in it for the money, I disagree. Sure - some are able to draw big crowds, pull in the young kids, and probably do well. But I've seen plenty of aging punk rockers and reunion acts play to very small crowds and empty-ish clubs. If they're just in it for the money, there are better ways to do it. Break even, or maybe take home a little, but I think very few bands are turning it into a really profitable cashgrab. To me it looks like a lot of folks just want to get up and play, and the money is secondary motivation.

i guess it depends on who you are talking about. something like the youth bridage show with dag nasty i would totally agree with you on. when i find out what bands like NA, FLAG, infest, insert random nyhc band here are asking and getting to play one show, i would tend to side with my original statement most of the time.
"What the fuck? Fuck Shit up!"-Chuck Dukowski
yourenotevil

Postby john stabb » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:19 pm

"I forgot you confuse punk rock with Logan's Run." :lol: "My name is Box. Plankton from the sea".
GI is a group of grown men who enjoy torturing each other and the crowd.
john stabb

Postby Chris Shary » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:03 am

Logan's Run one of my all time favorite films! Nice quote Stabby. Off to Denver today to Riot Fest and yes I am super looking froward to FLAG....again!
Chris Shary

Previous

Return to daghouse