Moving Targets-Thirsty First-Lowell, MA-3/11/16

Moving Targets-Thirsty First-Lowell, MA-3/11/16

Postby earthdog70 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:54 pm

So made it out for this one last night. Very small venue so that was a plus.

Got there a little before 9PM. Was pleasantly surprised to see NotBaker there. He had made the trip from Albany.

The place started to get crowded by 10PM. Casanovas in Heat were first. I had seen them play with Radioactivity a couple months back. Great set, I picked up their 7" after their set. Check these dudes out, I think a lot of people here would dig them I think.

A little after 11PM, Targets came on. Great set, the rhythm section was locked in, Kenny sounded great of course. Awesome set. They did play one new song, didn't catch the name but I dug it. I grabbed the setlist at the end to give to NotBaker.

I had to bolt after Targets set, 40 minute drive home so I had to go relieve the babysitter. Fun night, great to see NotBaker too.

Targets are playing again Monday, I will probably have to wait until the next time to catch them again.

8-)
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Re: Moving Targets-Thirsty First-Lowell, MA-3/11/16

Postby NotBaker » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:19 pm

So EDog beat me to the Lowell, MA SCENE REPORT(tm).

I've wanted to catch Moving Targets live for ages, and it's never worked out. I rolled into the Thirsty First a little after 8 and grabbed a burger. It was a FREE(?!?!) show, and chatter online made it seem like the place was small-ish and could fill up. They also had a great beer selection, including 4(!) porters. Nice to see some variety other than too many double-royal-hopped IPAs for the hipsters (hopsters?). So a seat at the bar was a great place to kill some time before the show. I thought EDog was planning to come, and it was great to catch up with him.

Casanovas in Heat were pretty fantastic. I would definitely go see them again. Solid power-pop stuff. Really %$!@*^ good.

I could have listened to CIH for longer, but was excited to hear the Targets. Take this Ride is a perfect album, and J Arcari killed it on the drums. They played a good mix of stuff from Burning in Water, Brave Noise, and Take this Ride. They sounded great -- as expected. EDog did grab me the setlist. But some younger kid wanted to take a picture of it, and I wound up just giving it to him. Also chatted with Al (fiestaware) and his wife a bit. Nice to see a good crowd for the Targets and a lot of people rocking out.

The last band was Subprime Lenders. I had listened to them online a little before the show, and liked what I heard. However, live it just really wasn't my thing. I was exhausted and left a few songs in -- during a cover of "Sweet Emotion."

A very fun night, and it sounds like there are a bunch of great shows coming up in Boston and elsewhere. Not sure how many I'll actually get to, but this was a good one.
NotBaker

Postby NotBaker » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:14 pm

From Facebook:
Moving Targets will be playing (with Chuck Freeman on bass) for one more show the night before Rona and I leave for our new home in Denton, Texas.

The line-up in no particular order:
Cassanovas In Heat
Conmen
Refectory (on tour!)
Moving Targets
Kenny's recording project band (as of yet unnamed) featuring Gino Zannetti, Steve Crotty and George Hall!

the show is on Friday, July 15th at
UnchARTed gallery in Lowell, MA

Hope to see you there!

Dammit. I'm supposed to be in NYC that weekend for a conference, but may have to blow it off for this. I'd love to catch the Targets again, as well as Cassanovas In Heat.
NotBaker

Postby Marc M » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:25 pm

NotBaker wrote:From Facebook:
Moving Targets will be playing (with Chuck Freeman on bass) for one more show the night before Rona and I leave for our new home in Denton, Texas.

The line-up in no particular order:
Cassanovas In Heat
Conmen
Refectory (on tour!)
Moving Targets
Kenny's recording project band (as of yet unnamed) featuring Gino Zannetti, Steve Crotty and George Hall!

the show is on Friday, July 15th at
UnchARTed gallery in Lowell, MA

Hope to see you there!

Dammit. I'm supposed to be in NYC that weekend for a conference, but may have to blow it off for this. I'd love to catch the Targets again, as well as Cassanovas In Heat.

Wow, he's moving about 25 minutes from me. Wonder if he wants to start a new band...
Marc M

Postby earthdog70 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:16 pm

Would love to see this but I will be in Cape Cod when this is happening. Oh well, at least I got to see them once 8-)
"And so it goes."-Kurt Vonnegut
earthdog70

Return to daghouse